Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

from what i can tell the RWBY fanbase is 12 year old boys who love it and 16-20 year old women who hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the name = color thing makes sense but how many four letters acronyms that also mean colors can you possibly make

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

Last I check, Cardinal, Coffee, and Sun aren't colors?
'things that make you think of colors'

come on step it up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Well did you ever create anything?
hosed up bbcode?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

"This show would be perfect if X happened instead" is the central conceit of fanfiction - a simultaneous admission that one likes, or wants to like, the show but that they are a better creator than its originator (and, in a sense, they are - who better knows what show they want to see than the audience?). Plenty of joke fanfictions parody this attitude mercilessly, but the ultimate punchline is that sometimes the fan-work is so different you can literally change the names and make millions on Kindle. RWBY itself smacks of fanfiction but with the edges sawn off in a similar manner.
What? That isn't a central conceit of fanfiction at all. Yeah, stuff like that exists, but a lot of it is just 'I like these two characters and want to see them loving' or 'wouldn't it be cool if goku and yugi motoh teamed up to fight orochimaru?' A lot of it is born out of legitimate appreciation for how good something is, not 'im better at this than the actual creator.' It's about wanting to see more, not 'better.'

RWBY is a pretty poo poo show but you're coming off way more insane and project-y than you're accusing the people who like it of being.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm not saying fanfiction creators actually believe that they are superior to the creator, but they are tacitly doing so when they rewrite the original story. If you write a story where Kirk and Spock gently caress, you are rewriting the context of the show to suit what you 'wanted' to see. This extends to cross-canon fanfiction, there are simply better reasons why Yugi and Goku never met than normal.

The Lego comparison doesn't quite work. Lego is a constructive thing designed for creative freedom. A show is a necessarily complete story that people are rewriting by introducing new characters.

Fanfiction tends to be more rife in communities where the work has a very powerful effect on a specific group and a new subculture forms around it. 'Team Edward/Team Whoever' etc and the prevalence of Twilight fanfictions are part of the same thread of fandom. First you think someone else 'should' have ended up with Bella, then you simply write a version where that happened.
youre basically writing fanfiction about the rwby fanbase so what does this all say about you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

By the same metric, you are writing fanfiction about me. Again, this is a cynical way of looking at things and I reject it.

I'm just discussing the show and its reception in the relevant thread. You are welcome to disagree with me and provide your own. But fanfiction doesn't exist for no reason and discussing its prevalence is interesting to me and highly relevant in a discussion about an Anime Show made by a man whose central deal has been making animesque fanfiction his entire career, working for a company that got famous from halo fanfiction.
that's fair enough

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 26, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RWBY wasn't really my jam, but RIP dude.

Wonder if they'll continue the show without him? It's successful, but at the same time from everything I've heard, he was basically the driving force behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Always in threes. Who's next???
satoshi kon was like 5 yearsa go

• Locked thread