Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I both hate this show and have got to give props to this guy for following his dream and making an animated series with few resources that has attracted a considerable fanbase.

The fact that it is animated in Poser or that he thought that reversing the normals on the characters was the only way to get black outlines like in anime is so strange though. They use Maya to actually model the characters, and there's a feature in Maya for rendering toon lines. And he could make way way better rigs in Maya using biped auto-riggers.

But no, they went with Poser, so characters slide around and hands can't really stick to objects, and the background rendering looks super flat. It's like an animated version of a teenager's webcomic. But, in a way, that's kinda charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I feel like more effort and thought was put into everything around the show, the world, the character designs and commissioned digital painted portraits, the merch, the fan character inserts, etc. than was actually put into making the show as compelling as it clearly wants to be.

Exactly. It's an animated version of a teenager's webcomic. Which invariably focuses more on the peripherals of coolness and less on actually competent storytelling.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's almost exactly the kind of anime I'd make if I were 15 and had the technical ability to make an anime. No wonder the majority of the fanbase is 15 or at least "mental-age of 15" level.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Srice posted:

Even tho using something besides Poser would probably be a net gain for the animation, I think it'd still suffer from clunky direction and poor choreography even if it wound up being technically better.

Yup. Pipeline and workflow are so important for animator productivity and thus the end result of a production. Using an old version of Poser instead of Maya or 3DS Max is like giving a traditional animator a rock instead of a pencil.

• Locked thread