Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
So, I like to think that I have a decent grasp of how to be a good feminist, as a man. I try and be very conscious of how I act, not make people uncomfortable, listen more than I talk especially since men seem to de-facto dominate so many spaces in our society, etc. etc. I think as a person in the world I generally do a pretty good job, and more importantly am very open to being told when I fuckup.

I also like to think I'm pretty good at doing activism w/in the space of gender & sexuality, specifically queer and trans stuff.

Now, however, I really, really want to do something about street harassment rather than just comfort friends who've been harassed and try and stop it when I see it happening.

The problem is, I'm not sure what to do. There are a lot of organizations doing great work, but I don't know how to not be presumptuous or co-opt what they're doing. I feel like just being a male in that space automatically colors whatever I do. Should I focus specifically on appeals to 'fellow men', or does that implicitly suggest that women can't effectively do the same/artificially limit what I can do?

It's not like I haven't experienced street harassment as well (nights out in San Francisco alone have made sure that was the case) BUT I can't help but feel that since that was missing the male-female gaze/power dynamic and as a very tall large man I never was really afraid it would be presumptuous and wrong to suggest an equivalency.

So, this leads me to my questions:

When have you previously felt that men have done a good job of respectfully engaging and helping with an otherwise feminist movement?
What advice would you generally give a man trying to help out in a significant way without being intrusive?

Also, it may very well be that I haven't done a great job of asking the right questions, in which case please help! I'd also love responses dealing with it more generally. I apologize if I've offended or haven't been careful enough with my wording, please call me out on it and help me get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh mah lawd.

First, don't be a misogynistic shitbag. Easy enough.

Two, tread lightly. If one of your feminist friends is being 'attacked' or 'feels threatened' or whatever by cis-scum and you intervene, you could be viewed as propagating the cis-scum hierarchy by rushing to protect her (after all, a TRUE feminist don't need no man!). But if you do nothing, and allow her to handle it, then you're propagating the cis-scum hierarchy by simply doing nothing.

Third, don't be such a pussy and feeling like you're treading on razor thin ice with everything you do or say or every interaction. Hell, this post reads like you're expecting to be slapped at any given minute for fear of making someone angry or offending them. Then, I halfway think you were wearing a fedora when you wrote this post.

Not sure if those are the answers you're looking for but there you go.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Sometimes in a group of women they have a hard time really projecting a view. They often like it if someone really loud shows up and can tell them just what to do.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
My policy is to never discuss feminism and just treat people like human beings.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Act like a stereotypical gay black man.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lord Windy posted:

Act like a stereotypical gay black man.

I know a guy this really works for.

But he's a gay black man so...shrug. Your mileage may vary.

To OP: Be a good person? Step in if you think they want you to?

maybe chill out.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
You're that guy, OP.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Yeah as I think about it the answer is probably "common sense" this was not a grest idea.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Try not to rape women when you pass them on the street, OP

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
You should stop reading the internet

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This is a copypaste that floats around here and e/n a bunch

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Don't ruin the fun.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Haha, some people actually think like this.

veilo
Jul 17, 2010

Never posts
You should become a gay because the patriarchy isn't going to gently caress itself ...unless it starts doing that.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Make sure you make enough money for your wife. I heard some of dem womens feel right in cheating on their ms. if they can't support their life style.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tautologicus posted:

Try not to rape women when you pass them on the street, OP

poo poo! Good etiquette is so complicated sometimes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tide posted:

Oh mah lawd.

First, don't be a misogynistic shitbag. Easy enough.

Two, tread lightly. If one of your feminist friends is being 'attacked' or 'feels threatened' or whatever by cis-scum and you intervene, you could be viewed as propagating the cis-scum hierarchy by rushing to protect her (after all, a TRUE feminist don't need no man!). But if you do nothing, and allow her to handle it, then you're propagating the cis-scum hierarchy by simply doing nothing.

Third, don't be such a pussy and feeling like you're treading on razor thin ice with everything you do or say or every interaction. Hell, this post reads like you're expecting to be slapped at any given minute for fear of making someone angry or offending them. Then, I halfway think you were wearing a fedora when you wrote this post.

Not sure if those are the answers you're looking for but there you go.

fedora mra redditor lmfao

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

foutre posted:

What advice would you generally give a man trying to help out in a significant way without being intrusive?

What's to know? Just join your local chapter of the Feminist Party and ...

Oh, you're in the US. Never mind that, then. We'll do this the slow way:

1. When you have children, raise them to not be sexist shitheads.
2. Everyone else does the same
3. Street harassment averted!

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
N-thing just be a good person. If you feel anxious around women as though you're on thin ice, then either you're friends with a bunch of mentally unstable tumblrites or your view of women as a whole is a strawman feminist caricature. And that is prah-blah-matic.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
There are clear differences between the genders.

Many animals have different genders as well guided by generally two sexes.

Humans are different too.

In all things legal they should be identical.

But in nature there are differences. The sexes evolve separate traits.

I don't deny my nature. I naturally feel protective of my girlfriend. There are bounds of reason. I don't look for fights, I don't think she can't handle herself, but there are things my bigger body and deeper voice can accomplish which hers can't. This doesn't make me a misogynist, just a decent BF that cares enough for her safety to forgo my own. She doesn't ask for it, I don't offer it, it's a dynamic that's formed on its own. A lot of women refer to this as: "feeling safe." She feels safe around me. I feel safe around her.

I don't feel obligated, I just act that way. A lot of men do. It's a natural impulse. Some of that is learned from society for sure. Most of it is evolution/survival. Everybody knows men are violent--so are chimpanzees--Do you think we'd be here today if men didn't protect their progeny and loved ones?

Not just from each other but from the environment too (including predators.) You think a pack of wolves gives a gently caress about your cis-gently caress gender studies notebook? They'd piss on it after tearing your children to shreds.

Enter testosterone.

I'm not saying cavewomen couldn't whoop your rear end but a pack of cavemen are probably way more dangerous: Bigger, stronger, faster, more determined to kill. Even male eye-structure is better suited to tracking quick movements. Need I say more?

You might say this is old-fashioned and not needed in today's society. I would agree with you.

Women didn't evolve to be violent psycho killers. Men did. You can't just breed out millions of years of aggression in a couple generations because you feel like it. It takes a lot of time, prolly as long as it took to become aggressive in the first place.

My GF can accomplish things I can't. Socially her mere presence changes people in unique ways.... just as a quick example, who do you trust more at first sight all things else being equal: 2 guys, or a guy and a girl together?

It's not a competition. A lot of people treat it like a competition: It's not.

There's a reason ancient societies worshiped women: They give their bodies to create men. This is a huge gift and reason enough to respect women in all walks of life. THEY CREATED YOU, DEAR READER. There's a reason ancient societies worshiped men: They give their bodies to create stability. This is a huge gift and reason enough to respect men in all walks of life. THEY FLEX FOR YOU, DEAR READER.

Brass tacks we're all capable [men and women] of advanced education and higher learning. My most intelligent professor in college was a woman, who I deeply admire to this day. Women in a vacuum are just as good as men in professional and academic pursuits. This is obvious to anyone.

Women make the same emotional jumps in logic as men do when they're unenlightened. Being an idiot isn't a male or female thing. It's just a thing.

So what was the OPs question? How to be a good feminist?

Don't hurt others. Try to get into as many relationships as possible. Be kind. Learn as much as possible. Accept your limited intelligence (even if you're Hawking.) Feel less shame.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
:biotruths: OP

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This thread needs more trigger warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011
1. Accept that gender is a completely social construct
2. realize that everything you've ever achieved happened only because of your privilege.
3. denounce your masculinity and all associated traits.

Or just accept that men and women can be different whilst still deserving equal treatment and opportunities. Accept that sex is hard wired into everyone's brains and will always effect the way men and women interact and perceive each other, as well as the traits they find desirable in a partner.

• Locked thread