Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is Felice Herrig a real person or an elaborate troll? It's hard to tell, but either way I hope she dies

I grew up near where she's from and she's basically 90% of the girls I went to high school with. That part of the midwest still has that sort of farmboy malegaze culture that rewards attention-seeking behavior in girls. She was probably pretty popular with certain types of guys in high school and never outgrew the behavior because it makes her money now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The predominant attitude amongst young men around here is to "dare" young women to do various things for their amusement. Because the girls don't really experience any other kind of treatment, they start to internalize the idea that they basically exist to be a performance animal for the boys' amusement. Sometimes, the boys get bored of a girl and she starts doing more and more ridiculous, look-at-me stuff to try to recapture the attention. The behavior is an awful lot like Felice's. I imagine that she continues to act that way because she started to make money off of it which only reinforces the behavior.

I apologize if the word "malegaze" is too tumblr for these parts or something, but I thought it was a succinct way to compact that idea. Felice Herrig acts like she does because she has been trained by local culture to think of herself as an nothing more than an object of entertainment for the men around her and her behavior is further magnified by the wider audience she is expanded to with her current employment.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trast posted:

Is this real life? Just be happy that she promotes attention to the show and then will get beaten to a pulp by one of the really cool and talented fighters. She's doing exactly what she's known for and the UFC is happy about it.

No argument here. People were just wondering if she was some kind of anomaly or if there's real people that act that way. I used way too many words to say "yes, but they usually stop after they graduate from high school and move somewhere where they're treated better".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dead Snoopy posted:

That's because Master Toddy trained the following fighters:

Kevin Ross
Kit Cope
Gina Carano
Phil Baroni
Randy Couture
Tito Ortiz
Stephan Bonnar
Bob Sapp
Rod Aumentado
Chuck Lidell
Jason David Frank

He wouldn't put up w/ attention seeking bullshit for 2 seconds.

Jason David Frank broke a meaningless world record previously held by a disabled guy to prove that you can do anything you put your mind to, I do not approve of your list.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BlindSite posted:

I didn't get that from what he was saying. I think I agreed with the women being annoyed at the constant corrections from staff rotating through while coaching. It's really annoying when you're trying to focus on something and you keep getting stopped to add something to it or something else, but the other thing is Roufus and co and perfectionists when it comes to striking and most of these women are incredibly bad with their head movement, footwork and technique in general.

Don't get me wrong, some of them have a talent for it, but most of them are incredibly average for professional fighters. The coaches are picking a lot to work on because there is a lot to work on. They're right though, stopping every ten seconds isn't going to correct the faults, just cause frustration.

Duke doesn't know how to pick one thing. When I first started kickboxing I trained at his gym in Milwaukee. Sometimes he'd swing by the beginners classes just to chat with the coach and scope folks out. He would unavoidably zero in on somebody and just overwhelm them with advice. He'd hit up someone who had literally been kickboxing for a week and just jaw about tiny details they'd never understand like "you're up on your toes, but the wrong way, the pressure should be just so" or not having their shoulder in the right spot to cover their chin during a jab-cross when they hadn't really even learned to jab at all yet.

He is a guy who definitely can take the top talent to new heights, but he's just on such a high level striking-wise that he can't even really relate to people who aren't at least competent strikers already when it comes to coaching. It's like a phd linguist who researches dead languages trying to help a high school student practice conversational Spanish.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
9. Pick all the guys that are already pretty good and use the few bad ones you have left as lambs against the other team's best guys.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm torn on Heather. She definitely has some douchey mannerisms, but on the other hand it also seems like at times she was just trying to make smalltalk and everyone was like "omg she's trying to profile us for secret strategies" or something.

I think the biggest mark against her is the way she keeps instigating rough sparring, hurting herself, and then trying to blame it all on her partner.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That was a loving awful stand up in round 2. I don't think it would've made a difference, but drat dude.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LobsterMobster posted:

:lol: if you think any goon is in featherweight shape

I am in the shape of 2 featherweights if one sits on the other's shoulders.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
You can tell Rose is actually from Milwaukee because Polish last name + Actually pronounce Milwaukee correctly. I was so conflicted because a Pettis sweep would have been funny but I used to train at Duke's place when Rose was there and it would suck if she lost.

I feel like the in-cage training with Anthony and Alex was such a perfect summary of why naturally talented athletes make bad coaches. Alex was just trying to copy the kick he's showing her and he's all "OK now also think about these 7 other things at once while also still doing the kick correctly. What do you mean you can just multithread doing a kick?" It was the same way the couple times he filled in for the normal kickboxing instructor for the intermediate classes at the gym. I'd be just working on trying to mix up two different combos from the same setup (say a jab-cross-hook and a jab-cross-leg kick) and all he can think about is the 90 cool things I can totally do off of that leg kick but am not nearly insanely gifted enough to be worrying about at that particular moment. It's hard to even comprehend how perfect you have to be mentally and physically to be a UFC level guy.

On another note, Rose looked absolutely amazing in that fight. She landed most of what she threw, followed up on strikes whenever they created openings, and mixed in the takedowns enough to keep things unpredictable for Alex. A ballet of carnage from beginning to end. I hope she continues to perform at this level for the rest of the show.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

colonel_korn posted:

Lithuanian actually

Ah, the soft J threw me. I never actually asked her about her ancestry any of the times she was training while I was there, but Rose is a really popular name with Poles in Milwaukee, so I made a guess :effort:

Either way, the point is that soon Milwaukee will own two belts in the UFC. You can move to Colorado, but you can't ever lose the M'waukee accent.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It's weird and retarded to give someone props for doing something even though they have their period.

those womenfolk are so faint though, its amazing she even had the willpower to get out of bed after seeing blood

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
"I want to teach my boys that it's never OK to hurt another person".
*Tortures Tecia Torres for having the audacity for Dana White to place her in the tournament without consulting her, tortures Heather Clark for being nice to Tecia*

It's hard for me to 100% say that Bec is an awful person because victims of abuse frequently learn to cope by just passing the abuse down the line, but it definitely slipped me over to rooting for Tecia "Peach Fuzz" Torres.

Can't wait for her to piss hot in her UFC debut.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, thanks to basketball cutting 10 minutes off the show, my DVR didn't record the only part worth watching. Anyone know where I can find a video of the fight?

Tip for the future, most DVRs let you schedule a recording to end X minutes after the actual scheduled end time. It's a good idea to set this to at least 30 mins for anything you're recording on a sports channel. For FS1 shows I have it set to go 2 hours past unless there's a conflict because one time TUF got pushed back by like 50 minutes because of a college football game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LIKE ME! LIIIIIIKE ME!@!!!!!!!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Just saw the episode. Aisling looked like she didn't know how to do literally anything involved with fighting. Awkward movement on the feet, almost no movement at all from her back. She must be an adjunct faculty member of the University of Mean.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

So Rose is winning this poo poo, right?

I dunno, she looked great but she ended up on bottom quite a few times. Randa seems to have the To Kill a (Wo)man With Wrestling thing down, so it could be interesting. As much as I like Rose, she's young and has plenty of time. I want to see Randa take it all. Her gas and her takedowns seem better than Carla's, and I want to see Carla got Full Tuchscherer in the octagon after losing the inaugural championship fight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's kinda either way to my eyes. I had Tecia winning, but it's not like it's unknown that judges overvalue even somewhat successful takedown attempts.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

I'm surprised she isn't a bigger favorite. I'm also surprised how quick the fight is happening after the show wrapped. Seems like they would want a few weeks to hype it up and do the media thing. Rose does well in interviews and is pretty, which would help generate views.

The finale is always the weekend following the show's last episode.

I was really pulling for Randa (and poo poo did she look loving gritty against Rose), but the obvious call is now to cheer for Rose to absolutely murder Carla.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Meowbot posted:

I was rooting for Carla early on because I think her first fight was good but what a tepid shitfest she has shown us in her last 2 fights. I kind of don't like Rose' thug attitude where she puts a mean face on after the fight and tries to be all huffy puffy but she is still a good fighter and fun to watch. I wantto see her beat the crap out of Carla but more than likely we will just get another submission. She is good at those for sure.

That was a mean kimura, I thought she was going to break her arm. Hopefully Randa gets a chance to be successful in the UFC because she is definitely one of the most exciting fighters that was in this season.

Dude, she's not putting on a face. She's from the bad part of Milwaukee. That's how people are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Rose will also have a sizable reach advantage. If Rose can stave off the power double, she might be able to just light her up with knees when Carla tries to get on the inside.

I don't think Carla has a power double, the other women just have awful takedown defense. Carla was forced to resign to lovely ankle pick attempts for most of the Tecia fight purely because Tecia was strong.

• Locked thread