Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lord Chumley posted:

(Really though, please don't go on about that dog.)

You're going to be so embarrassed when that dog springs Ward from prison in the premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PunkBoy posted:

I'm watching the first season again to get ready for the next, and I just picked up on a neat subtle bit of foreshadowing in Turn, Turn, Turn. After Skye decrypts the Hydra message, Coulson says that a hydra will always come back if you cut off the head. Garrett then asks, "Is it a head? I thought it was a limb" with a confused look on his face as he realizes their logo was wrong. Even better, it foreshadows Coulson's line about how Garrett never was good at paying attention.

Everything you say is true, from a certain point of view.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Was kinda hoping Ward wouldn't be on the show at all this year. :sigh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I like the symbolism of Ward facing the wrong way and being separated from the group by a crack. It tells me the show is going to be as blindly obvious and heavy-handed as it was last season, leaving no room for subtlety or deftness in plotting.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 20, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah. Just because it was building towards something doesn't mean that something was worth the build up. Personally, I thought season 1's payoff didn't make up for the 21 episodes of pure poo poo I had to sit through to get to it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OB_Juan posted:

I hope not, but her revulsion towards Ward was the best thing she's done.

Skye I just wanted to tell you about..

*slams door*

your father.

Skye, before you cut me off last time I just wanted to say..

*Skye gives Ward the finger and walks away*

your father is alive.

Skye, it just so happens that I know where..

*Skye plugs her ears and goes "LALALALALALA"*

your father is.

Of course, Coulsen and May, who have a live feed to Ward's cell, will never actually tell Skye what Ward said.

Marvel's Agents with Poor Communication Skills

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm also tickled by the woman who was hired because she possessed world class Facebooking skills suddenly becoming SHIELD's best agent overnight. You know, despite the fact that her one and only solo mission last season involved her being instantly captured and mortally shot by the bad guy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

The only way I could see that working is if the show was just hilariously bad. Agents of Shield isn't hilariously bad by any means.

You're vastly underestimating how bad this show was, and is. I mean, how do you watch the Skye/Ward interrogation scene and not groan constantly at the stupid posturing? How do you not roll your eyes every time Coulsen makes some heroic declarative statement that falls flat on its face? How do you not scoff every time the show teases a 'mystery' in the most clumsy, hamfisted way possible?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its lose, as in, "you spell like a loser."

Wolpertinger posted:

Comics hawkeye is awesome now :(.

Being a sad sack who gets beat up all the time really isn't all that awesome. He's different, and I think people mistake that for awesome and/or interesting.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: One man's struggle to overcome autism

Also, holy poo poo someone in the casting department must have a thing for plain-looking brunettes. I know the Black Widow scene in Iron Man 2 was cool and all, but it plays much better when its a crazy-eyed redhead and not a baby-faced girl who looks like she just got off the farm.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Ward is 100% guaranteed to become an agent again before the end of the season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Captain Marvel a blonde. Skye is a brunette. It doesn't fit.

Are there are brunette superheroes? A Captain Bland, maybe?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Not mad at all, cause Ultimate Nick Fury was designed to look like Sammy J.

I was angrier at Ultimate Nick Fury looking like Samuel L Jackson than I was at Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury because Mark Millar is a hacky piece of poo poo and Samuel L Jackson is awesome.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Tom Selleck would have been an amazing Nick Fury.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Smallville, Birds of Prey and The Tick on all at the same time? Truly, this is the golden age of comic book based television.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I certainly hope not. I rewatched Mystery Men for the first time in 15 years a few months ago and it actually holds up really well.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, that Skye was a total badass when she cried and begged Ward to tell her about her father but it was actually a trick to get information he's been trying to tell her since the loving premiere.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
How do you "get past" the premise of the show :psyduck:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Wow Jeph Loeb looks like an actor that's in everything, but I can't put my finger on it.

He kinda looks like half the rapists on L&O:SVU.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I told him to give the second season a chance, as its really done a 180 in quality.

You lied to a comics legend.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

How is it possible to judge a shows pacing by one single scene?

Why tease viewers with the worst scene in the episode?

"Here's three minutes of boring poo poo. Watch our show!"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Haley Atwell is Skye's mother! Her father didn't kill her, but gave her terminal amnesia.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Is it worth watching? Or am I going to be shaking my head the whole time?

You're going to be shaking your head the whole time but apparently people are okay with dumb shows tangentially related to superheroes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
At the very least, I refrained from complaining about Ward's five minute shaving montage that led absolutely nowhere because he was back to being scruffy the very next episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

HERAK posted:

The point of that scene was to establish that he was prepared for war, look in the background there were several gas cans and other materiel suitable for staging a murder-suicide and arson.

The montage made it seem like Ward was going to infiltrate his brother's operation in Washington (hence the suit), not go hang out in the woods for awhile. My only point is that its weird to have a 'Ward's coming to town' montage to tease something that was never going to happen.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So Raina is a cat now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
At least then the show would have some actual menace instead of Dr. Claw's Hydra's foiled plot of week.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Thank goodness we have "Garbage Dick" around to tell people how to post.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, that entire universe is ruled by one of the most powerful and evil megalomaniacs in existence. This being has literally quadrillions of soldiers willing to fight to the death for him. He also wants to conquer our universe. Also, there happens to be a doorway to Earth in the prison.

Pretty much. Asking people with super powers to register and train with a government agency before beating people half to death in the name of "justice" is a good idea, which is why its so disappointing when the guy behind the idea inevitably turns out to be the Red Skull.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Guys, I know how much my opinion means to all of you and I want to offer my sincerest apologies if you found anything I said about Marvel's Agents of SHIELD offensive or off-putting. Its hard when one of your heroes and most respected posters has an opinion you don't share, so I thought this apology was necessary just in case anyone was thinking about committing suicide over my comments. They're just opinions and, though I know you look up to me, you shouldn't hate yourself for having an opinion different from mine.

Thank you.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clark Gregg must be the happiest little fanboy on the planet right now :3:

Except for the part where he's sharing a cover with Black Cap and Girl Thor, all but ensuring that no one will ever read that comic after 2015.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I like the May, Simmons and Marvel ladies cover. Though its funny how Spider-Gwen is on there, and Kamala Khan, not exactly two heroes who are part of the wider universe yet.

Its funny that they ran out of female heroes and had to include two female variants of the same male hero (Captain Marvel and Spider-Man).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind that the execs at ABC are probably not marketing it well. They likely view it as a way to boost the female lonely male feminist demographic and think the only way to do that is to bill the whole strong woman aspect of it rather than treat women as more than one dimensional and show other elements as well.

Fixed that for you, though hopefully the show isn't entirely about Haley Atwell fighting comically outdated sexism or its going to get boring quick.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If you want to make the state of the union fun, imagine he's in an alternate universe where he isn't a compete buffoon and actually capable of pushing his agenda through congress without a supermajority. Kind of like The Man in the High Castle, but if the bad guys won.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

I still like Shield more, but I think Agent Carter has been consistently good,

I'm surprised anyone is watching Margie Carter if the highest praise you can pull out of your rear end is "It's not as good as Agents of SHIELD."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That got to me, as did Stark's glass ceiling speech (the term was coined in the late 80s). I get that they want to hit the sexism button for some reason, but its hard to shout "you show 'em Peggy!" when these guys aren't bad guys, per se, but good guys who were born and raised under a different value system. I mean, everybody at the SSR is a former soldier, a good cop and a family man. There's nothing to hate about them except the way disrespect Peggy (the impact of which, ironically enough, is undercut by Peggy's undercover work. In helping Stark, Peggy is the "bad guy" from a purely objective standpoint). I'm not about to condemn these guys because they don't conform to late 20th century feminist ideals (girls can do anything guys can do) or even 21st century feminist ideals (girls are incapable of excelling due to the patriarchy) when they are 1) living and working in the 1950s and 2) explicitly written to exploit and offend modern sensibilities.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

It's almost like sexism at the time wasn't actually subtle at all and portraying it as such would be super disingenuous and do a disservice to one of the major themes of the show...

If only they had some subtlety to it. You know, like the ads at the time did:

You understand that's a joke and not a social statement, right? I know goons are dumb, but they're not that dumb.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

Ah yes, it's just a joke. The other million examples of advertising from the time period that portray women as being either objects that men own or so stupid that they need to be told how to do everything are also jokes and in no way reflect the society or time period that they come from. Thanks for the clarification Irish Joe, you've opened my eyes and now I see that sexism never actually existed!

You're awfully sarcastic for someone who bases his knowledge of the 1940s on magazine ads.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Irish Joe, what do you think of Margie Carter's lips?

Which ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Oracle posted:

I think showing just what women were asked to give up and how frustrating and enraging it was is more important that reenacting Mad Men over and over again.

Except Mad Men does it so much better because it doesn't boil sexism down with child-like simplicity. Its easy to say it was wrong to toss women out of the workplace and blah blah blah, but the question is: was it really? World War II took an unprecedented toll on this country. Nearly every eligible man had to put his life on hold for years, risk life and limb in a strange land, and experience unfathomable trauma only to come home and.. what? Be told he still can't start his life because there are no jobs? How is that fair to the men who did their duty and made that sacrifice? And, more importantly, what happens to this country when there are millions of unemployed, disaffected young men running around? Everybody has to make sacrifices in war. Men put up their lives, women put up their careers. Yes, it sucks, but that's life and its disingenuous to portray the social cost of war as "men are all mean sexists, rah rah tough female spy!"

• Locked thread