Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Like Burn Gorman, Lance Hunter has a name that dictates the roles he will play far better than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The last few episodes have had such ridiculously good fight scenes in them. This show really has just gotten amazing in a short time, from the first half of the first season to now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He was. Every Russian-speaking Russian on the show does, really, but Oleg was the best part of the second season, to me.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

That was a weird clip to choose as a promo for the Agent Carter show but I liked Agents of SHIELD even when goons said it was warmed over poo poo so I'll probably like the show anyway.

Haha, so did I. It paid off in the end, though, didn't it? I was actually kinda surprised by people being so pessimistic and bitching after so few episodes on here.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
A dumb question, but wasn't there some Super-Soldier Serum left during the Ed Norton Hulk film? They gave a little bit to Tim Roth, which turned him into a really awesome fighter and survivor of bootings.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That was a good episode. drat, this show picked up steam towards the end.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think they're just 'bad compared to AoS', which means they're likely below the point that the show would get picked up again, if it even were possible for the show to get another production run. I don't mind-- the show was loving great for these 7 (and the finale next week) episodes. I'm going to be fine with it as a tiny little Marvel Cinematic Universe aside, like the One-Shot things they put on the DVDs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

I guess maybe D'Onofrio's weight has always fluctuated and that contributes to it, but I'm ALWAYS seeing him in stuff and not realizing until halfway through that its him. I knew about him for years when he was on that Law & Order show but I needed to actually see the credits of Full Metal Jacket to realize he was Pyle.

I think that's an example of how loving good an actor he is: He blows up like a balloon and has no issue with undoing it for a role a few months later. He's awesomazing.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Angar got nothing on me when I see a stack of flappies I want to down in a hurry.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I liked about the episode was how the various villain origins worked to make it just a little more comic book-y. Where people can get powers from super steroids or gamma irradiation of tumors.

And the Inhumans look down upon poor science experience Cal.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Did NOBODY notice how EJO's lines could've been taken directly from BSG? I'M STILL COMMANDER OF THIS SHIP.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Agent Carter got really good early on and stayed that good until the end. It's worth watching, considering how short it is and how good it was.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think they're really not SHIELD, since Fury didn't give them the orders to go and form a cabal to reform the organization. Not that they see it that way, or that it matters much. Coulson is the appointed director, he has the cube of stuff in it, he's the real guy in charge.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No, only the dickhead of the heads of SHIELD was using real ammo against Skye. He also got impaled by a chunk of tree, so he doesn't matter any more narratively.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He got a crossbolt in the chest in Walking Dead after his tank blew up in the best way possible! Someone get that gif of Daryl whipping a 'nade down the tank's main cannon barrel, please.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

NowonSA posted:

But yeah, good episode overall. All I want out of the next episode is Skyedad meeting Daisy with the biggest "Told you so" :smug: look on his face.

And on the note of him, is it just me or is he way more ambiguously evil because of his love of his daughter? Between him, Gordon the Inhuman, and Real SHIELD headed up by EJO, this half a season has some pretty good antagonists. I like them a fair amount more than Hydra dicks and Whitehall (who loving owned, Reed Diamond can do no wrong).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It looked to me like he got hit in the shoulder with the tree shrapnel.

That is correct. I don't know if that can be considered lethal or not, he sure seemed to be hit by a big piece, though!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

I liked Winter Soldier for not feeling the need to justify the comicy aspects of it, but, as a whole, the movie felt more like a series of action set pieces than a coherent storytelling vehicle. The first Captain America balanced the story and action much better and was, as a consequence, a much more satisfying film overall.

You have got to be kidding. Watch it again, then say the same thing, Irish Joe. It's hard to after you have it fresh in your memory. It got such ridiculously great reviews for a reason, after all. Hell, even the part where Falcon was a dedicated third wheel was great because he was so loving awesome.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dexo posted:

But it's It's the best movie Marvel has made. So it should be watched.

I mean I guess I'd hear arguments for IM:3, and Winter Solider. But I doubt someone could change my mind.

I think most people think that the top-tier films so far have been Winter Soldier, the first Iron Man, Guardians, and The Avengers. At least that's what review percentages support. I agree, since those films loving rule. Not that there's any reason to skip watching any of them, it's just... Marvel blows it out of the park 4 times out of, like, 9. That is a good loving ratio going forward.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Agreed. The only one I would legitimately say to pass on is The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton, because it is an outlier that really didn't get treated well by history so far. I mean, it's technically canon, but it's not imperative to see even to justify the Avengers line about it. Even the hook at the end of the film, with Tony Stark meeting up with General Ross was retconned away into something implausibly lame and boring that didn't even require extra RDJ footage.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yay, good to have confirmation that it's a connection to the Baron von Strucker Winter Soldier tease.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
They say the kernel idea for the spin-off isn't yet in the show, so there's SOMETHING coming in the next few episodes that we don't know anything about yet. That said, I've been re-watching the show from the beginning for the first time since the series started. Pretty damned good with knowing what comes later on, I must say. Every single thing Garrett does pans out, along with Ward doing things like trying to kill May even after Lorelei had been collared. Love this show.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Besides, what happened right before was the best reveal of a returning character since Fury in the S1 finale, which I just got done watching. I forgot how well they set up Skyedad and such. Remember how Heroes would have these tiny little scenes to hook you for the next season, where Hiro was in the past and then Nathan got shot and the like? And how they ended up being to lovely plotlines that sucked or were aborted, or both? Yeah. None of that here!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Granted, I watched Buffy about 10 years ago at this point, but I still remember it holding up rather well. It did serialized TV a lot better than was to be expected for its time.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

AbsolutelySane posted:

If you remember the quick x-ray shot from last season, I think most of his skull is encased in metal as well. At least the unburned side of his face (apparently, the skin is fake).

Remember, they were able to do all kinds of poo poo to him because the Centipede serum was stabilized on accident, and only within him. Think Adam Jensen of DXHR, where he didn't have a choice in the matter and they were able to do unlimited poo poo to him along the way after he was wounded. Metal plates under the skin? Hell yeah, he's gonna be AWESOME.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
SHIELD, SWORD, HAMMER, hmm, are they brothers?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I wonder if the splinter bombs work on alien-derived peoples like Raina and Skye.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Re-watching the show whilst paying more attention, there was a lolcat mug that mentioned hating Mondays that was shown early in this season, when the base was first being shown off. Fitz was using it in 2x13, the episode with Cal's team of the worst super-powered individuals ever.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hahahahaha, yes, thank you. And it's that same mug. Rules.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Speaking of Cal's big episode, One of Us, Kyle MacLachlan is seriously the best actor on this show. He's chewing the scenery just the right amount for Cal's insanity and lack of self-control. Best episodes are with Cal.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think the name of Ward #3 is Thomas, but don't hold me to that.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Thanks to Ambien and fear of Ambien knocking out my memory-generation systems for a while, I put watching this episode off until just now. God drat, what a good episode. And I hope to poo poo that's not the last of Cal being happy we ever see. He just wanted to give daisys to his daughter with his scarred-up Inhuman wife.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dexo posted:

Mind Wipe completely wipes out everything. That he has a daughter everything. He's just a doctor in Milwaukee.

With superpowers. He tinkered on himself to give himself super-strength when he lost his family. He wasn't strong enough. :(

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It can also be that his agelessness pales in comparison to Jaiying's power of such. Hence the conversation typical to any married couple.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ashpanash posted:

I thought they have that in the cargo hold of the ship.

I can't be the only one to jump to the conclusion that was Gravitonium in there, was it?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

Have Cal join Agents of Ward.

Not for any story reason that makes sense, just do it anyway. Put all the crazy in one place so I can watch what happens.

Agents of WARD is the only spin-off concept I've found interesting thus far.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Bobbi is pretty bland outside of her complete inability to tell the truth. Lance Hunter is the best new character of the season, even beating Mack.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He's a doctor and he's a Hulk-like monstrosity who rends victims limb from limb.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What a ridiculously good finale. I'm glad that they mentioned TAHITIing Ward earlier in the season, too, otherwise it'd just smack of lazy writing to have him go through it at the end. Instead, good writing! I loving shed a tear when he was saying goodbye, too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
They made some green parts, too. I think that was enough to give the full impression of him hulking out.

• Locked thread