Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ToastyPotato posted:

The preview image on the embedded video is literally a scene between Skye and Ward.

Also there's a cut from Skye to Ward like 10 seconds in.

Also also that's kind of a bad, tonally mismatched trailer and 'What once was SHIELD, no longer exists' is a really awkward sounding phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also making a movie and making a TV show are wildly different things.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pretty decent episode, although it started off a bit slow and the sniper rifle part was kind of really dumb. I was beginning to get kind of annoyed at Fitz's whole thing but they managed to transition that pretty smoothly into his friendship with the new guy (have they said his name? I think I completely missed it) which I really liked. Totally forgot that MacLachlan was in the show this season so was super happy when I realized that it was him. Hopefully his character is a lot closer to Paxton's than that stupid general military mastermind guy that they did literally nothing with from the first season.

Speaking of the first season, I rolled my eyes pretty drat hard at hallucinated Simmons's line about how some people are just so impatient. They might as well have had her look at the drat camera and wink. Yes congrats AoS, you finally became a fun show to watch. All it took was almost 6 months and 16 episodes of boring TV to get there. All those impatient fans sure were wrong :rolleyes:

But in their defense it does look so far like they learned some lessons and are actively moving all the big storylines forward, even if by only a little bit, so I'm actually looking forward to every new episode now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's a rules thread that spells it all out.

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I mean, she also got captured in the first place because she let the chick taze her in the back. The fights were neat and I definitely don't miss the days when we'd hear about how good May and Ward are without actually seeing any fights, but they're still TV characters and are subject to temporary lapses in competence when the plot calls for it so it's kind of hard to think of them as Black Widow-level super agents sometimes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Ward's definitely getting at least some kind of semi-heroic redeeming moment, if not a whole arc. He's already taken the first step and accepted the fact that he did a bunch of really evil things and has no excuses or expects forgiveness for them. In TV terms that's like two scenes away from full-blown "Let me make up for my past" redemption.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It'd be great if he betrayed them again the second they actually trusted him enough to give him a chance to escape.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Sure was a good thing we didn't get our shipment of Ultron robots from Stark Industries!"

*back to whatever plotline they had running before

"Man did you see what happened in <main location of Avengers 2>?"
"Yeah, crazy!"

*back to whatever plotline they had running before*

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Gonna agree that episode 14 or so is a good place to start. That's when the show decides to have an actual plot rather than simply spinning its wheels, and slowly improves until Turn Turn Turn, at which point it becomes legitimately entertaining/fun. People make a big deal about how stuff from the first half comes back in the second, but I really don't think it's worth watching a dozen episodes for. None of the characters get any subtle, in-depth characterization/backstory that you're going to miss by just watching episode 14-on, and the kind of stuff that gets a callback in the last few episodes is literally a "Oh, it's that thing from episode 3!" reference rather than anything important.

I'm usually the guy who tells people to just watch the entire show when they ask for specific episodes, but in this case we're talking about like 8 hours of some really, really boring TV just to get a few references and a few interesting scenes where one character maybe does something neat to foreshadow what happens in later episodes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
First of all, I don't think anyone (reasonable) thought that the first half of season 1 was unmitigated poo poo. I think most people agree that it was just really, really boring and instead of being a fun show about SHIELD agents/spies it instead was just a boring version of Fringe with a bunch of super cliche, uninteresting characters that weren't getting any development.

Oh and the first 16 episodes took six months to air. There were constant breaks, some of which lasted 2-3 weeks, which made sticking with a boring show with a glacial pace that didn't really seem to be going anywhere pretty hard. There was a Christmas break, a break for the Olympics, a break for sweeps, and then like two more random breaks that had to be thrown in so the show would sync up with the release of the Winter Soldier. Episode 10 aired on December 10th. Episode 16 aired in April. Imagine having to wait all that time only to watch episodes like the one where the awful evil general mastermind character sits in an empty warehouse eating steak before everyone has a poorly-choreographed, slow, unexciting fight.

Yeah, it wasn't pretty. Thank god the show got way better.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

muscles like this? posted:

Something interesting about this week's episode is it looks like they're just going to pretend that Icers no longer exist. Like nobody brought them up when talking about taking down Ward.

I'm not surprised that the show doesn't try to bring them up too often since they kind of provide a super convenient solution to a lot of potential problems (in terms of storytelling), but in this episode there was the scene with Trip asking Coulson what he wants them to do, and Coulson saying to bring Ward in at any cost. I just kind of took that to imply that they're not going to waste time trying to ice Ward. Either he cooperates and comes back in or they put him down. They're done dealing with him as a prisoner/source of info anyway since they were going to give him to is brother.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah you guys could've just agreed to disagree and saved yourselves like a dozen posts each.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think you guys are overestimating how much effort it would take to reintroduce Coulson to the mainstream public. Most people don't watch the show, having Coulson show up out of nowhere just to drop a line about how SHIELD is fine would suffice for 99% of the audience, who would just go "Oh it's that guy I like! He died? Well guess he's better now!" and move on.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Irish Joe posted:

You're going to be shaking your head the whole time but apparently people are okay with dumb shows tangentially related to superheroes.

Some of us won't even stop posting about them!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Blazing Ownager posted:

The Thor tie-in episode is saved by the twist, in my eyes.

Eh, that's still a really flimsy reason for Ward to just act like a dipshit. It only kind of sort of maybe don't look too hard works in retrospect, and even then it's pretty shaky even by comic book logic.

Also reminder that Ward was raped by an alien but the show treated it like a sweet moment because they're both hot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deadpool posted:

Don't read this if you don't want to be excited for tomorrow's episode. There's no real spoilers at all but it sure makes some of the things that have been speculated on seem like they may indeed happen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/12/08/review-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-proves-dramatic-capability-in-mid-season-finale/

Iron Man's going to show up?!?!?!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Maybe she'll magically get turned into a better character.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I am legitimately (and pleasantly) surprised that they stuck with the whole "Ward is loving nuts and no one has forgiven him" thing. I was sure they'd either have some kind of redemption arc by now or have Ward dial back the "Look what I did for you, because I'm such an awesome guy!" schtick. Him continuing to be crazy and everyone continuing to despise him has been great.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Maybe it's just because I didn't see/read too much about it before the show started, but I kind of assumed that it was just this cheap little thing that Marvel can throw out there in between AoS breaks, which is why it's so focused in scope and is just about Peggy (and Jarvis). I never got the impression that they were going to make it into a big MCU thing and do proto-SHIELD stuff or anything on that scale.

And as others have said, watching Peggy deal with all the bullshit while still being an awesome super spy is way more interesting than just making her 40's Coulson and doing the same kind of generic Fringe-lite stuff that AoS did early on in its run.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I'm really not getting where the "filler" complaints are coming from. And I say that as someone who thinks the first dozen episodes of AoS season 1 are 100% skippable.

-SSR found out about the two Leviathan guys.
-Jarvis got brought in and questioned and is now on SSR's radar.
-Peggy pretended to screw up in a major way and is now even lower in her colleague's eyes than before. (I really hope they stick with this and don't handwave it away just because that guy died)
-We got a bunch of background info on Jarvis.
-They found Stark's missing inventions.
-Comic relief character is killed by a mysteriously-introduced assassin.

A "filler" episode isn't one where half a dozen important developments that affect the overall plot happen. A proper filler episode would've been Peggy getting sent home from work and spending all day in her building going through inconsequential-but-whacky shenanigans. I mean, we still might get an episode like that, but until then...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that scene was brutal and like I said earlier I really hope they don't just forget about it. Peggy being willing to give everyone the validation they need for their lovely opinions of her does a lot to build her character. It would be a shame if they just threw it all away and would cheapen her eventual triumph.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bamhand posted:

It was more the voice over saying how she had a dark secret after everyone has come to trust her. I hope you are right though!

I wouldn't put too much stock in a trailer. For one thing, those thing are specifically designed to be as overly dramatic as possible. They're also not always handled by the actual people making the show so the whole "Make it seem like it's some huge dark secret" angle might not have even been their idea or what they're going for with the episode.

I mean, we had Coulson's ~*~mysterious past~*~ be a thing for like a dozen episodes too long so who knows, but they've seemed to learn from their mistakes from the first season so hopefully that's just some trailer fuckery.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's almost like sexism at the time wasn't actually subtle at all and portraying it as such would be super disingenuous and do a disservice to one of the major themes of the show...

If only they had some subtlety to it. You know, like the ads at the time did:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ah yes, it's just a joke. The other million examples of advertising from the time period that portray women as being either objects that men own or so stupid that they need to be told how to do everything are also jokes and in no way reflect the society or time period that they come from. Thanks for the clarification Irish Joe, you've opened my eyes and now I see that sexism never actually existed!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Irish Joe posted:

I haven't watched Arrow, but didn't it take him two years to figure out Deathstroke was his island buddy?

No.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mymla posted:

Yeah I dunno, I think I'd rather have 20 good agents than 10 great agents.

But then again, this is the nation which allegedly sent half their soldiers into combat unarmed and told them to "dude, just grab a gun off one of your dead mates or else just catch a few bullets idgaf just don't retreat ok".

This is also a TV show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
New trailer/teaser/whatever featuring Skye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCqK2_rsg58

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Xtanstic posted:

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
:canada::argh:

Too lazy to Hola it. I hope it's better than the crappy 'Skye has a dark secret' teaser they've been showing for the past two months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2V-ucMvIjM

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sorry if this got asked and I missed it but what was the big silver flashlight/radar gun looking thing that Stark picked up in the lab and said "this is fine here" about? They highlighted it in the last episode as well IIRC and I got the feeling that it's some important or dumb thing/joke/shout-out from the comics, but I forgot to look it up after the episode last week.

VDay fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 25, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hopefully her powers are to turn into an actual character with any kind of depth whatsoever instead of just being obnoxiously smug all the time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought the biggest giveaway/hint during their conversation was:

"Remember how you felt when you found out some of our friends were HYDRA?"
"But we're not HYDRA."
"Yeah but remember how you felt?"

That makes it seem like they're not actually working against SHIELD/Coulson's team, but are mostly afraid that when everyone finds out they'll either assume so or will feel too betrayed by their lying to care.

Whatever it ends up being, at least it's a decent little mystery so far compared to the show's previous attempt, aka the "Coulson totally isn't normal surprise it's aliens" saga.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's a reason that Samuel L. Jackson is the highest-grossing actor of all time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dan Didio is a lazy troll and idiots keep responding to his posts for some reason. That's all there is to it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's the blue-outlined character's hand, not a bandage.

It's Ward with Agent 33, wishing/fantasizing/hallucinating that it's Skye.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ApeHawk posted:

Gonna say that the "real SH.I.E.L.D." is just a Hydra operation to lure in S.H.I.E.L.D. agents/supporters in an attempt to do evil bad guy stuff with/to them.

This makes literally zero sense.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"Like I said we're the Realsh Yield. Why, what'd you think we were?"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

twistedmentat posted:

I forgot how gory that was. He gibbs big time.

My favorite part is the shot of Coulson afterwards where he gets his sweet one-liner in before calmly walking away, as two dead SHIELD agents that Garret killed are just lying there like 5 feet away from him.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He really does do it a lot and I laugh every time. It's just such a goofy, unnatural looking pose, and his mom sweater just adds to it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mymla posted:

Yeah, it's kinda weird. I think Fitz was easily my least favorite character in season 1, but now he's one of the best.

Well that's because in season 1 he wasn't even the obligatory techno nerd, he was half of the techno-babble pair with his only personality trait being "likes his female best friend who obviously doesn't like him back". Season 2 has made him an actual character who has his own poo poo to deal with, which is infinitely more interesting than watching the same thing we've seen on a thousand other shows.

I'm still annoyed by how little development happened during the first half of season 1. How they managed to spin their wheels and stall for TWS without actually developing any of their characters except for arguably Ward and Skye is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mr Beens posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but what about Skye's powers make her an unstoppable machine capable of taking out anything? She can create shockwaves and earthquakes and for some reason make water into patterns?

You don't see how someone capable of making targeted earthquakes on demand could be dangerous?

Also the water thing was kind of a cheat since you need a camera running at a certain frame rate to see it, but it was just the show's way of demonstrating that Skye is vibrating the air. It was a setup for her hadouken'ing the SHIELD team that came after her later in the episode. I imagine the writing staff saw one of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENITui5_jU and thought "Hey that looks awesome, we should have her do that".

• Locked thread