Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Has anyone in this thread every changed the battery in their Iphone? I have a 32 GB Iphone 5S that is doing great with plenty of room still on it. The only issue is that the battery is starting to go downhill (charge it once a day if not twice).

If someone has, where did you buy the battery (and replacement kit) from? Is this the type of fix that is better done by an "expert" or something that I (reasonable technical capabilities) can do? Thanks for any information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am going to order an Iphone X (replacing my 5S). This thread has made me very excited for this new purchase with all of your information. I currently use an Otterbox Defender series for my phone and I am looking at getting a Defender series for the X. I generally carry my phone in my pocket at all times so I am concerned about screen scratches. I noticed that the Otterbox Defender series for the X does not include a screen protector but it "works with Alpha Glass". I thought I read that this screen is already supposed to be scratch resistant so do I even need that protector?

Also, I am open to switching cases if there is something that is better out there so any suggestions would be welcome.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

rio posted:

Do you carry diamonds in your pocket with your phone?

No, I wish I did but I do carry pens in my pocket (the exciting life of a teacher).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

They are going to keep selling at that price point from now on. They see smartphones no longer as a phone but just a tiny computer.

I am having a problem with my phone (5S). Yesterday morning, I woke up and found my phone in a state as if it restarted. Also, even though I had it plugged in all night, it was at 92% battery level. This morning, I wake up as the phone vibrates and it restarts. When I enter the passcode, the battery level is at 9% (had it plugged in all night and started at 31%) which then drops to 5% and then 1 percent in less than 30 seconds even though I did nothing with the phone. It is now charging fine.

Anyone else having something similar?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I ordered an IPhone X today (going from a 5S to the X will be a big jump).

Delivery dates (through Verizon) is by 12/1

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I will be getting an iPhone X in a few weeks as I move from a 5S. What is he best way to transfer from one phone to another? It is a Verizon phone and we do not use the iCloud storage set up. Without iCloud storage can I still do the iCloud transfer? Do I have to plug it in my computer for iTunes? I have not plugged my phone into a computer for at least a year so if this is the case, I will have to update iTunes which takes forever and I should start now.

What is the preferred QI wireless charger pads (both cheap and expensive) that can be used with the IPhone?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We use my wife’s Apple ID for our iPads and I have never really cared about it before. Now, with movies anywhere, I set it up to her iTunes account so we can watch those movies on the iPad (also, Apple gave a bunch of free 4K versions for movies).

I was wanting to set my iPhone on her account through family sharing. I checked her settings and it shows my phone as a member but no movies show up on my phone. Do I have to set up to share with her on my phone as well? Do I need to remove my phone from her account and add it again?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I ordered through Verizon with a ship date around December 1st. It has not changed the date at all. Hopefully, that changes soon.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Weird question but I am wondering if it has happened to others before.

I have a 5S that is 3 years old (about to get an X today!). In the last couple of days, when connected to WiFi, I am getting less than 1 Mbps down on when I run Speedtest on my phone. But if I use my computer, I get 50 Mbps and I get 19 Mbps on my iPad.

Has there been issues before where an older iPhone just cannot get the same speed that they could before? Is it just normal wear and tear on the internals of the device? Or should I be check something out with my ISP?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Is there anyway to turn “Hey Siri” on with one touch or from the control center?

I want to easily turn it on as I get in the car but then turn it off when I get done driving.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Seems a pretty straightforward and useful feature to me. I don’t care for talking to electronics personally, but in a car it’s useful. Maybe false triggers have gotten better, but I’ve had it turned off after it would trigger in be middle of the night for no reason shortly after it was added.

Yeah, I do not want it going off in my classroom. I was just wondering if there was a more direct way to turn on the feature than going into settings.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

I've had hey siri enabled since it became a feature and have never had it fire off without me wanting it to. Unless people in your class are constantly yelling "hey siri!" and happen to sound just like you (remember, it's trained to your own voice so there's some protection against false hits) you have nothing to worry about.

Okay. Another I wondered was whether it affects the battery much?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I went from an Otterbox Defender for my 5S to a Spigen one with spigen screen protector for my X.

I love how thin it feels. In the last 3 Year’s with the Defender, I did not drop it once and was extremely careful with it. I will keep that up with this and the thinner case fits better in my pocket.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have this for a QI charger for my X.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H76NIAS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A9RRAbGHVG2TQ

I also have a 60W Sabrent 10 port USB fast charger dock. It has an output 10 X USB 5V (12A max).

Would I be able to plug my QI charger stand into this dock and it work fine with the X? Or am I better off just keeping my QI charger into the apple big block and the wall?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I use Amazon Music and generally love it. I have thought about getting the Unlimited package (since my family three echos) but I have not been convinced enough to pay for it.

Amazon has allowed you to upload 250 songs (I had only uploaded 69 - nice...) but they just sent an email stating that they were ending that service and you have to click one button to keep your music available. I wish I would have uploaded more of my music now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You mention “family” so this may not apply, but if you don’t know the individual Unlimited sub is $79/yr for Prime customers.

Yeah, I have thought about doing the individual Unlimited but my each of my daughters like listening to different music in the morning.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife has been having an issue with her Iphone X where it will show that she is connected to a Wifi signal even when she is not. It will not allow her to do anything (except call people) on her phone since it shows that there is wifi but no internet connection.

Any idea of what could be causing this or what could be done to fix it?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks to the people who recommended Overcast as a podcast app. I love it but I have one issue with it. When I start a podcast at the first episode, it will play that episode but then the next episode played will be the newest episode. How can I get it to play episodes in order?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I got an email from a beta testing set up that I do testing through. They offered a “cellphone research opportunity”. I signed up for it and it was through Facebook. You had to download a Facebook VPN and background logger (PowerLog).

It paid $20 a month and I use my phone for Facebook, Twitter and this app so they are not going to find out anything cool from my phone.

I downloaded the set up yesterday and in 24, I have noticed that this logger is zapping my battery. For it being on in the background, it has used this much of my battery in the last 24 hours:

Yeah, I am getting rid of this now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Awful is where I poo poo post about politics, wrestling and IPhones. I cannot lose the ability to shitpost anywhere that I want.

The app is the one that appears in this very sub forum.

Facebook is evil, I know.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

You are not a Nigerian Prince who works at Nintendo with my uncle!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I did not pay for anything. I went through my usual beta testing website (which is well known and reputable) that I have used several times for several different projects.

Facebook has been getting users’ call and text info for years on Android. They have probably been doing stuff like that through Apple as well. Hell, Apple alone has all of our info somewhere.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I posted about it more as an account on how it was draining the battery. I was surprised at how much it could be using and I thought it might interest some here.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

If my wife and I have a household Apple sharing set up and she gets 4 free months of Apple Music, will I also get to access that?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife and daughters got me AirPods for Father’s Day but my daughters cannot wait to give gifts so they gave them to me yesterday.

These are amazing. I love being able to just use one headphone so I can listen to podcasts/my music (which are not appropriate for my girls to hear) while still being able to hear my girls around the house. The charging case is awesome and being able to use one AirPod while the other one charges is great.

Any good tips for using them? I know it is recommended to charge the Iphone at 40-70% or along those lines. Is there a charging recommendation for the AirPods?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, EarPods always fell out because the wire was pulling it out.

You can buy silicone covers that have hooks that help keep it in your ears. I bought a set last week through Amazon and they work really well. I only use them when I mow or go out running/biking but they could be used at anytime.

Added story for the covers. I bought them through Amazon and they were prime shipping but they were running late. I bought a 3 pair case for $3.79. When they finally arrived, there were only two pair. I chatted an Amazon guy and because of them arriving late and only having 2 instead of three, he gave me a full refund for them. Today, I looked and the price went from $3.79 to $11.95. That company is having issues I think.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My Spigen screen protector and case have been awesome. I am really glad I purchase them as I have dropped my phone a few times and it has protected it perfectly.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I tried to download the 12 PB but when it comes to downloading the profile, it does not give me an option to download it on my phone.

What can I do?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You using safari

I forgot if that was a factor

Oh, I had it in chrome and did not even think about that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Our local mom and pop diner has a Square point of sale as do a lot of small businesses here in rural Illinois.

I still need to set up Apple Pay because I mentally question it in terms of security, multiple cards, etc. I have moments where I really want to get it going (especially with so many businesses taking it) but then doubt creeps into my head.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I set up Apple Pay. Is there a way to change the name of your cards? I have two cards from the same institution (one personal and one business). It would be nice to name one HOME and the other one AUTHOR.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I bought these for $3.79 before they bumped the price up to $12. They work great and I only use them when I am doing yard work or a side job (setting up catering vans).

EarBuddyz 2.0 Ear Hooks and Covers Accessories for Apple AirPods or EarPods Headphones/Earphones/Earbuds (3 Pairs) (Clear) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BREFE4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qbbuBbYPQQ5JX

Anything similar in shape to this will probably work well. This seems to be a well liked set up.

AirPods Case 7 In 1 Airpods Accessories Kits Protective Silicone Cover and Skin for Apple Airpods Charging Case with Airpods Ear Hook Airpods Staps/Airpods Clips/Skin/Tips/Grips Black by Amasing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YY83Z5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_idbuBb52507NV

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have a Dodge Caliber with a dashboard like this: (the app is not allowing images to posted)
https://goo.gl/images/jRm5gJ

I am looking for a phone mount that would work with the compartment above the center vents. Instead of suction cupping it to the dash, I am hoping to find a mount that gets the base placed in the compartment, the lid gets closed and it has the mount sticking out towards the center.

Would anything like this exist?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

Hey iphonies: is there a good Qi charger out there that is a “lay down” style (like pictured) but without the annoying bright rear end light? I just built a new headboard and plan to have both my and my wife’s phones up on the “mantel” part of the headboard so we can reach up and lay our phones down to charge but already the one we have (pictured) lights up our room blue like a nightlight. Double that would be worse!

We bought this one and it is great because there is just a small light on the bottom. Not the fastest charging but if you use it overnight, it is perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787WXCVF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Is there a way to reset your airpods? My right airpod is quieter than the my left airpod? I thought I might have had junk in my ear that was muffling it but my wife noticed it too?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My daughters love to play games and listen to music on my or my wife's Iphones. We are looking at getting them something like that for Christmas.

Which would be better to get for them: an Ipod touch (which is the newest generation) or an used/refurbished Iphone 7 with the cellular part turned off so that they cannot make calls?

If it is the Ipod, where is the best place to purchase an Ipod without paying an arm and leg?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

They are 6 and 8. They like the idea of carrying around a phone and listening to music so we were looking at something like an old iPhone or an iPod touch.

The 911 worry was something I brought up but I thought taking the SIM card out would stop that.

Both of our current iPads (and iPad mini from 3 years ago and an iPad from 4 years ago) are about to go out so we were also looking at replacing those.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Khablam posted:

Well, this year's -gate is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_lRJuQtBmc
iPhone XS and XSMAX have scenarios they don't charge in.

At a guess it's a software bug related to the more secure way the lightning port works now.

I thought that this could have been something my phone was dealing with.

I have an X and we went on trips the last two weekends. When I plug my phone into the USB carport, it begins playing music (always that drat U2 song) but it barely charges. It can be plugged in for 30 mins and I only get a 2% bump.

If I plug it into my cigarette lighter port or wall port, it charges just fine. Could my USB port be slowing down the charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anytime I take a picture in landscape, the picture flips and it have to edit it in order to rotate it.

Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this or any idea what I can do to make it stop this?