Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So the face sensor on my iPhone 5s isn't functioning correctly and I keep muting the phone with my face while talking with clients. Is this something the Apple Store fixes or just replaces the phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I was going to say "I can't believe that people actually think that 16GB is insufficient for a vast majority of iPhone users" but this is from the same people who were probably like "2GB of RAM or I'll pass".

I was also going to say "Do you understand that you're not even close to the average user?" but that is repeated over and over to these type of people and they never listen so what would be different this time?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I literally have never heard anybody complain about the amount of RAM in an iPhone until like a week or two ago.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Maybe you haven't specifically heard anyone say, "My phone doesn't have enough RAM", but if you haven't heard anyone complain about Safari constantly reloading tabs, you haven't been reading the same iPhone threads I have.

Yeah but that sounds like a Safari problem, not a RAM problem.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Forgot "TV Truck Schedule-gate"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

4.6 Gb for me.

And to rehash the "base model storage" debate, it seems pretty lovely to require between 1/4 and 1/3 of the default storage to be available to upgrade. I'm not that price conscious, so I've always bought an upgraded model, but I've seen plenty of so-called normals use up all their space on large games, photos, and excessive iMessage usage. :(

This is a good point, and probably the best argument I've heard for raising the minimum storage. However, if you're low on storage its probably way easier to just plug into iTunes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So admittedly, I don't understand these things. So could somebody tell me why Apple even bothers making 2 different models of the iPhone 6S and 6S+ when the only difference is support for 1 LTE band (30 - 2300 MHz)?

I'm sure there's a good reason, and the model without band 30 only supports Sprint, Verizon, and TMobile in the US, while the model with band 30 supports AT&T and every regional carrier and pre-paid wireless company. Does the extra band support require some extra hardware, or is it some sort of firmware thing? If its hardware, are they saving a tiny bit on each handset that doesn't require band 30?

Just curious.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

beergod posted:

Are these available in store to walk in and buy or has that ship sailed?

Depends where you go. Sounds like the carrier stores and 3rd party places that aren't Best Buy have plenty (unless you're looking for Rose Gold).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So far I think 3D Touch is really great. Cool feature, especially with the haptic feedback that makes it feel like you're really clicking a button.

However I feel like the apps that utilize it are obviously limited and sometimes it seems pretty useless in-app. I can't think of a scenario where I'd need to "peak" into an iMessage conversation. Mail makes more sense since peaking into an email leaves it marked as unread. The little submenus on the homepage are awesome though and I feel like once this is fully implemented into a variety of apps it will be awesome.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure what Apple was thinking by using the vibration motor to emulate a "tap" when you 3d touch. It's the hokiest feedback ever because it doesn't match with what your finger is doing at all.

Other than that I'm digging their pointless tech innovation of 2015.

I disagree completely. The feedback feels different than any phone I've had before. It's like tighter or quicker or something. Like it actually clicks or snaps when you activate it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pragan4 posted:

For anyone curious, I bought one 6S+ at Verizon and one at the Apple Store, and they're the exact same part & model number: MKV82LL/A & A1687.

Edit: the one from the Apple Store was on the apple upgrade program

There are only 2 models in the US. One for Sprint/Verizon/TMo and one for AT&T/smaller regional carriers.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone running iOS 9.1 beta on their 6S yet? Wondering how it runs. It works ok on my iPad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So the down side of the 6S is that it's so drat fast that now my iPad feels like a slow piece of poo poo when I use it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone having an issue with the wallet app on the 6S? It seems like it isn't sizing anything properly. Here's some random movie ticket that was in my wallet.

My credit card in Apple Pay looks the same where it's like zoomed in too far.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just used Apple Pay for the first time. Holy cow does that work well.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

jackpot posted:

Wife has 5s, just got 6s in the mail. She doesn't use icloud because it's been out of space for a few years, and rarely backs up manually to her computer. Can she just back up her old phone manually, then activate the new phone, then restore it from the backup stored on her computer? I can't remember what's the smart way to do this.

Yes, do this.

Also, do this:

Blinkz0rz posted:

Spend 99 cents a month on lots of iCloud space and don't worry about backup size.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Only other problem I'm having with my 6S other than that issue with wallet, the sounds for text messages, emails, etc. are pretty hit or miss. Sometimes it plays the sounds, other times it doesn't.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

CancerStick posted:

I read on the iPhone subreddit that the also released 9.1 beta 3 fixes that so hopefully in a few weeks your good to go.

Can verify that it does. Just downloaded 9.1 beta 3 on my 6S and so far it seems a tiny bit smoother than 9.0. Haven't tested everything so far though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is there any rhyme or reason to the 3D Touch submenu for iMessage? Every time I hit it the 3 contacts are different, but an old client of mine keeps showing up there even though I probably haven't texted her in months. It would make more sense if it was the last 3 ppl you texted or your 3 most texted contacts. Either way, it doesn't seem to make sense yet, even on iOS 9.1.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ochowie posted:

Isn't it the last 3 contacts you've texted?

Mine isn't. Currently it's the last person I texted, a person I haven't texted since Monday (10 other ppl texted in between) and someone I haven't texted in months.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This morning, while browsing SA on my iPhone 6, the battery dropped from 20% to 10% in about 30 minutes. I'm paranoid the Genius Bar screwed something up when it replaced the screen twice in a week a month ago.

Go into your battery settings and see what drained the battery.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

smoobles posted:

Question coming from a 5S... is Apple Pay a thing or did that pipe dream fizzle out? My Wallet app won't accept my MasterCard and I honestly don't know what businesses accept Apply Pay anyway. What is this feature all about?

It's one of those Apple features, much like TouchID, that works so well that you almost don't believe it. The first time I used ApplePay I almost couldn't believe the payment had actually gone through.

You can find a list of retailers that accept or will accept Apple Pay here: http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

My Chase debit cards that used to work flawlessly on Apple Pay now decline like 50% of the time. Not sure if that's Apple, iPhone, or Chase's problem but it sure is a nuisance.

This just started happening to my actual Chase debit card a few weeks ago. Gets declined and the cashier has to run it manually. So maybe it's not Apple Pay, maybe it's Chase.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mattavist posted:

I don't really understand the point of Apple Pay since using it isn't any easier than just swiping a card through a reader. Maybe if you've got 12 cards and don't want to carry them all around?

But it IS easier. And more secure.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How is it different for the cashier though? Generally they just have to hit a CC/EFT button and then wait to see if it goes through. Kind of dumb that they would argue about it rather than just letting you attempt it.

I was wondering this myself. When I used Apple Pay at Walgreens the other day, the terminal had beeped "Approved" before the cashier had even looked up.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Don't get the leather case, get this one

This is the one I have. I went into the store thinking I was gonna get the brown, but holy poo poo the blue is awesome.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Have any tech blogs or news outlets sounded the alarm yet, dubbing this fiasco "chipgate"?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Not really, mostly just because it's a difficult thing to try to prove

Since when does the reactionary and click-bait driven media need proof for anything?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
🖕🏻

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you have the Facebook app installed, be sure to update it since they've (allegedly) fixed its battery-eating issues.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Did 9.1 somehow break the ability to play mobile YouTube audio in the background? My girlfriend usually sleeps to the audio of forensic files episodes with her phone off but it seems busted now.

Just a heads up your girlfriend is my soulmate.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My battery % usage for the Facebook app went from average of about 35% to 2% in the last 24 hours.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've been using iOS 10 for about a month or two now and I have to say there is only one thing that really bothers me about it (everything else is pretty awesome). The way AirPlay is handled now is really strange. They basically separated AirPlay mirroring from just regular AirPlay. If I'm listening to music on my phone for instance, and I wanted to start listening through my Apple TV....before I would just swipe up from the bottom and click AirPlay, then Apple TV. But doing that now will AirPlay Mirror my phone onto the Apple TV (this used to be a sub-option that you could toggle on/off), to AirPlay just the audio to the Apple TV, you have to swipe up from the bottom, then swipe over to the music controls, then select iPhone and change it to Apple TV.

I sort of understand why they did it, since they moved all of the music controls to their own "panel", but it still feels like they needlessly split up AirPlay into two completely different things now when it was fine how it was.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For anyone wondering what the back of the matte black feels like, it appears to be the exact same material as the touch pad on the Apple TV 4 remote.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I have a very minor annoyance with my iPhone that I can't seem to find a solution for, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced it. When I'm at work (and ONLY when I'm at work) in front of my iMac, my iPhone does not go off when I receive a text message. I'll pull my phone out of my pocket and see like 5 texts from my wife. No sound, no vibration, nothing.

I tried disabling iMessage on my iMac, but nothing has changed since then. Is there anything else I can try? Does it have anything to do with that handoff feature?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

We joke about it every time, but when the time comes...

I suppose people just cannot contain their excitement

I kind of get that. I'm always excited to get a new iPhone or random technology, but they are so iterative at this point that I never understand that level of excitement. Like, March 3rd I was so god drat jacked to get my Nintendo Switch, and that was an industry shifting product and a device that got me back into gaming after over a decade away. And I still didn't post tracking updates.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I'm not sure why anyone believes what a giant corporation says, let alone the hand picked journalistic mouth piece of a giant corporation. Not saying either rumor is true or not true but Jesus, people sure are drinking the loving kool aid.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah but as was already stated, they're only feeding him whatever information is going to sell as many phones as possible and any information about what might be in any future iPhone beyond the X is no more than speculation by Gruber. There is 0% chance that Apple is or was feeding him any information about anything beyond the 8 or the X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Palm was both awesome, did s great job reinventing on the fly considering Steve Jobs leap frogged them, and then squandered basically all of it by doing a few things wrong:

1. Going exclusive with Sprint for the Palm Pre
2. The original Palm Pre had so many defects and ways to break
3. Horrid advertising
4. Choosing HP

Seriously, timeline was the biggest miss was Palm launched on Verizon about 2 months after the original Droid. If they would have been a few months has earlier, it would have been quite possible they would have been billed as "the iPhone killer" that got android sales its first boost.

I just think the Palm Pre was a bad design from the beginning, especially in hindsight. Going with a slider was a big mistake. The Palm Pixi was a much better design and had they used that general design but maybe a little bigger for the Pre, it would have looked like the lovechild between an iPhone and a Blackberry (which was still very popular at the time) and probably would've held up better as time went on. The mistake that many many smartphone designers made was to hold onto physical keyboards too long. They really had to, especially since, as Apple is wont to do, they were basically saying "we don't think people need a keyboard anymore" and some people didn't like that since they loved their Blackberries so much and were so used to it. Slider designs were this terrible worst of both worlds compromise. A physical keyboard phone trying to hide its physical keyboard because people were gravitating towards sleeker, minimalist designs like the iPhone.

WebOS was seriously so good and so ahead of its time. Had they taken the Apple approach and trusted the software and get the drat hardware out of the way, they might have survived longer. There's probably a parallel universe where they do this and some much better company than HP buys them out, but who knows. Android was still in its infancy back then and WebOS was a much better and smoother experience in the summer of 09.