Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oneiros posted:

Hmm yes those vocal nerds on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk
That assumes 1 handed use to reach the entire screen is more important than a larger screen. Considering how we use our phones these days, the latter takes priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They could have made it smaller if not for the big old hardware button.
The screen would still be a bit big for 1 handed use.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Keyboard buggy as gently caress
Are you trying to use a 3rd party keyboard?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always thought there would be many 6 Pluses suffering from cracked screens due to people sitting with them in their pockets; something similar happened with my Handspring Visor in high school. But given the phone's materials and construction, bending seems like the logical result.

Bendgate will absolutely be a thing once some bored social media correspondent picks up on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FishBulb posted:

So double tap home for reachabilty. Why does the tap have no other functionality? Seems dumb.
Are you asking why single tap doesn't have functionality?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

withak posted:

Someone with access to a decent load frame needs to do some flexural strength testing on a selection of jumbophones.
Yeah, I'd love to see if you could bend a Note 4.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

iPhone 6 bendgate is going to be a real thing because people don't understand the difference between plastic and metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

"The Galaxy Note 3 survives the exact same bend test that the iPhone 6 Plus failed. That I did not expect with a plastic build."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

blakout posted:

Bending sorta makes sense a device that big and thin made of aluminum just might but I wouldn't worry too much.
Where is the bendgate about my muffin tins and baking sheets?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

What about chamfer-gate -ghazi -Iran-Contra -teapot-dome Petticoat Affair?
I had an iPhone 5 and didn't experience any exceptional problems with the chamfered edges. They're polished, so of course any scuffing is more noticeable, but iPhone launches are the most high profile in the tech world, aside from a new Xbox or Playstation, so people blow everything out of proportion, except people are dumber with handheld devices than a console that's clearly meant to sit in a stable, safe location.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, Engadget article means the mainstream media will pick up on it any second: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/23/bent-iphone-6-plus-problem/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

That was sort of the joke. I was just looking for an outlet for an irresistible impulse to create dumb scandal names :v:
Bendgate is a more serious problem than chamfergate, if only because the latter is an aesthetic problem brought on by abuse, while the former is perceived to be a design problem that can be trigger by normal, careless use.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Damo posted:

Apple lets you return/exchange within a two week period, right?
Yes, 14 days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

"Completely" as in they can do literally nothing with it? Black screen and unresponsive?

Because after a couple reboots in a short amount of time, the phone is supposed to drop into recovery mode that demands you plug into a computer with iTunes to do a complete reset.
Yeah, it's virtually impossible to brick an iPhone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The 6 Plus bricked one handed use!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CNBC picked up on it: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000313490

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A buddy of mine got the 6+ on launch day, decided it was too big for him and put it on eBay so he could use the money to buy a regular 6.

Last I heard, someone offered him $1,200 for it :lol:
I'm always afraid to selling something like this on Ebay because the buyer can just be a total dick.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yes phones literally bending from being put in a pocket is something someone should expect.
You literally cannot bend a phone crosswise by putting it in your front pocket. Everyone who said it happened to their phone that way is a liar.

You can, however, do it by putting the phone in your back pocket and sitting on it. Which makes you the idiot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Pretty sure you can, or at least, when my phone (4s, not bent) is in my front pocket there's definitely some pressure on the top of the phone near the top of the pocket. Like when you're sitting and leaning forward a bit. Pulling it in and out def has some bend potential since I can't pull it straight out, and have to do it at an angle, especially if sitting.

But I haven't bent up my 4s by sitting on it and jamming it in my tight front pockets so who knows
Pulling it in a out won't put enough stress on it to bend. Having it near the top of your pocket and leaning forward for an extended period can, but then you should feel it and not be a neanderthal who keeps stressing it while it jabs into your hip, and why is your phone peeking out of your pocket anyway?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does your phone typically lie vertically or horizontally in your pocket?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Proper bend test using 100 lb. force and four point bending rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-lEnPwzAw

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Willing to say it's 9 people who actually contacted Apple instead of hitting Twitter and complaining.
The only actual photographed cases of bending are from the Macrumors thread. Everything else, so basically everything you've heard, is just reusing those original cases.

Unfortunately, people are dumb.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tuyop posted:

Well everyone knows people who have broken phone screens but everyone keeps buying phones with screens that can break, so I'm assuming that most people really don't care that much.
Even people who have never taken a physics class understand that things break when you drop them. Bending a phone, however, is apparently beyond their realm of comprehension until they see a video doing that/hear about it on the news.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does 8.0.2 fix copy/paste? Not too concerned about HealthKit apps at this time and 8.0 has been solid for me otherwise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just get an iPhone 6. Everyone knows the resolution for wallpapers is 1334x750.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

There's no real risk to starting fresh, is there? Everything I can think of that I'll lose is tied to my apple account, but I might be missing something.

That said, the weirdness I'm experiencing (clock stopping when I don't touch the phone for a few minutes, extremely erratic wi-fi) happened before I tried the restore.
The only thing you lose starting fresh are your texts.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Tech21 Impact Mesh Case? My dad's probably gonna get my old iPhone 5 soon and I want him to have something that will provide some drop protection and grip and not fall out of his pocket or something when he's mountain biking.
I remember when they first announced d3o and I was super hyped. It's definitely a great option if you want a full case, but I've been bumper only since the 4.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Battery on the 6 with the screen on is almost the same. OIS is a wierd feature to not give the reg 6. But none of my photos or videos look "shaky" without it.
Yeah, one thing that pretty much nobody mentioned is the 6 is supposed to have digital image stabilization. I have trouble keeping my hands still taking photos, and it's worked great for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

My wife got a 16gb 6 and it just doesn't have enough space.

She preordered on apple and it's an AT&T phone in the US.

Is there any kind of 14 day exchange/upgrade we could do to get her a 64gb?
Yes, Apple has 14 day return policy. You can return in store. I did that, swapping for a 64GB.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

cool-did you just have to pay an extra $100?
You can't do an exchange because Apple.com purchases are considered different from store purchases, so you'll get $200 back and pay $300.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

Gotcha...hopefully last question. Did you bring the box, headphones, charger as well?
Lol yeah you doofus, it's not a warranty replacement. You're returning a purchase!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spunkshui posted:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Consumer reports tested bendgazi out. I will now stop treating my phone like its a single stick of gum.

They actually found the plus to be stronger. It is a thicker phone after all.
Wait, so you're saying social media completely overreacted to an isolated anecdote, then traditional media took it even further because they're desperate for ad revenue?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pzy posted:

I just don't understand why people are concerned that a grown man can bend a phone in half using all his might... no one was snapping Razrs in half and claiming they had structural defects in 2006. Give me one of every cell phone model ever made and I will snap them all in half like the goddamn Vaudeville sideshow this has turned into (no candybar Nokias allowed).
But he used his "bare thumbs". Don't you know how weak thumbs are?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I love notifications on Android. They can be more prone to abuse by lovely apps which is something they really need to fix, but personally I think the Android system does a far better job of notifying me about stuff I want to see and handling responses.
Is this just a coincidence? I've never had an Android phone, so what about their notification system is better?

The default notification settings that apps install with in iOS work well for me. If something is too annoying, I just turn it off. Easy peasy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Markkei posted:

Is anyone using a screen protector on their iPhone 6? I was looking on Amazon and it seems all/most of them don't fit very well. Anyone have any recommendations?
I got a pack of these for free (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRJQ3US/) and yeah, they're too small, though they claim all screen protectors are like that because the 6's screen has a ridge before it slopes down to meet the alumnium unibody back.

It doesn't really seem like that to me, but regardless, I wouldn't pay for a screen protector at this time until they figure things out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I only ordered 1 in case 2 orders would look suspicious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I watched a coworker order a dozen about 30 minutes ago.
Does he read Slickdeals and/or Fatwallet? Goddamn savages.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hold your horses. Order confirmation doesn't mean poo poo. It's all about shipping confirmation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eriddy posted:

I am bad at making videos and interpreting videos....

thanks for this though - at the very least I learned a thing.

It's still a cool result regardless of how badly I botched the reasons behind it however.
The digital image stabilization in video works great. I'm not entirely sure why they didn't use OIS for video, but I suspect it has something to do with how it detects shaking vs. the fact you generally move the camera around when shooting video.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why does it cut off like that :wtc:

I haven't seen it do that before.
Because you can't always fit everything you want to display on a single screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly, it sucks a little that Apple is never going to provide an option to back out of a new OS for the average user. You have to restore from your iOS 7 backup. I think being locked into that, especially when it makes your phone perform badly, just fosters mistrust and frustration with Apple.

That's why I still run my backups in iTunes. I have even tried copying the backup, and saving it in a different folder, and swapping it back in to have a copy of the old version's backup. I don't even know whether it will work. They just make it so hard to prevent downgrading with the notion that it's good for progress. People need to be warned, though, that new OS versions may have problems that make their experience worse.
I'm not sure why anyone with an iPhone 4 would feel obligated to upgrade their iOS. In general, I would say that having people on the latest version is better.