Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just updated my 5S which was on iOS 8 to iOS 9. It's just so much slower now. Even flicking left and right between screens have a discernible lag. It sort of stutters just so slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you just updated that could be it indexing stuff. I had my 5s in 9 and it definitely wasn't slow.
So the solution might be to wait until the iPhone indexes stuff? That takes... hours, tops, I assume.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ok it took only minutes but my 5S is a lot faster now. iOS 9 feels zippier than iOS 8. Guess indexing or whatever was the issue, waiting helped.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Not sure I like the font changes in iOS 9 though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

What is it?

Also what's the photo tagging thing? I can search for like "car" and it will show me all the cars I've taken pics of? Woah
Can't wait for my iPhone to think my penis is a rocket ship

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was looking forward to finally getting an upgrade on my 5S but these new models are ridiculous. It might just be worth it to move to Android.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Waiting to try the XS Max in person to figure out whether I need that huge a loving phone

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Where do I buy this shirt for real

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I remember just using stickers, no case, for my iPhone 4. Carbon fiber back, some random color for the sides. Somehow my phone survived perfectly for two years. I don’t know how that happened.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just did a big, big jump: from the 5S to the XS. Five numbers.

It's a pity. I think they had it right the first time with the smaller screens. The idea that your thumb should be able to comfortably go from corner to corner without much of a stretch. On the XS the center bottom and the top corners are really far. You literally could not do it without shifting your palm. And there are so many things that require that movement. I almost wish all of the phone's UI could be contained in the bottom 2/3 and you'd use the top only for videos or whatnot.

Everything else with the phone, I'm happy with. But this seems so fundamental to me. Why can't you get the latest tech without getting these big rear end screens? Why hasn't somebody put their feet down and done what's right?

I'm also a bit miffed at how heavy the phone is.

It's entirely possible I'm an old fart who just needs to get used to things. But I dunno man. I might say gently caress it and downgrade back to an iPhone 6 or whatever is the latest generation with a reasonable screen size. This might be a dealbreaker.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

The thing that kinda surprised me was just how little I’m going to the top of the screen now anyway. Have you been swiping from the left much? With some exceptions—awful still requires you going to the top of the screen—the interfaces seem to be requiring it less and less.
I love the swiping. But the big exception is the control center, which I use a lot. What was the point of bumping it up there? Makes no sense to me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

enojy posted:

This was actually an advertisement at one point, probably around the time of the iPhone 4S, when Android phones were turning into phablets, and Apple was sticking to their guns with the "tiny" screen. It was just a clip of someone holding an iPhone in one hand and comfortably reaching every corner of the screen with their thumb.

I do kinda miss that; I have average-sized hands, and the 7+ I had last year was just a touch too unwieldy for me. The X I have now is alright enough, but swiping down from the top for notifications is a real stretch, and Control Center is a two-handed operation. Putting that in the upper right corner is just hosed up.

If iPhones ever get to the point of being the size of the XS Max by default, I'm just gonna stop upgrading until hardware failure forces my hand. My roommate is kinda stuck in this predicament now, as she has especially small hands, and was really hoping for a successor to the SE. She didn't even like the size of the 6S I had before the 7+.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I miss setting my phone on my desk and unlocking it by touching it. That was a magical feeling. Now I have to lift the thing to look at my face and do a swipey action. How have things improved at all.

Day one of skipping five generations of iPhones continues to go poorly.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s an SA problem. Happening on desktop too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bobfather posted:

The XR reviewers are all finding that the back camera on the XR consistently takes better photos than the XS or Max (or Plus models with telephoto, I suppose) in low light, precisely because the telephoto is so light hungry.
For real? As an XS owner that seems rear end backwards.

They've also artifically handicapped the XR by allowing portrait mode be used only on humans, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bobfather posted:

For real. The wide-angle lens on both the XR and XS are identical, wide-aperature (f/1.8 if I recall), wide-angle lenses.

The XR has only the wide-angle, while the XS has the telephoto lens which is much slower (f/4, maybe?).

So when you take a picture using the XR, it’s using the fast lens. The XS will prefer to use the slower telephoto, apparently even when the light sucks.
This is really sucky for XS users, and also where providing more manual controls would have been helpful. A simple switch for disabling the telephoto lens would illustrate the difference clear as day.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/10/24/iphone-xr-lowlight-portrait-mode/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Taima posted:

"BUT ITS [X] CAR PAYMENTS, have you considered the ipad Mini instead? It kills with IOS 12 bro, whole new device"

Ever since phones hit 1 grand, one of these fuckers jumps out from behind the tall grass whenever someone mentions an expensive apple thing.

Yeah, people can afford different stuff, thank you for bringing up this useless comparison, ad nauseam, forever
People measure things in opportunity costs. This seems shocking to you.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Something Offal posted:

Yeah and the profit margin must be really large, probably larger than XS I'd imagine, because the components are probably simpler to manufacture.
I really doubt it. At the scale that Apple is manufacturing, these essentially-very-similar iPhones probably don't cost very different. On these things at least, higher price point = higher profit margin.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why isn't Shortcuts an app that comes with? Seems weird that I had to download it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I own wireless headphones and god I love them. They’re over-the-ear though. If there are good wireless earbuds out there, that’d own.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On my XS I barely notice a hit in performance when it's in low power mode. Thinking of setting it to that all the time to save that battery

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lazer_chicken posted:

Jesus loving Christ how did I just now learn that you can long press the space bar to move the cursor around text. That needs a tooltip or some poo poo.
If your phone has 3D Touch you can force-press any part of the keyboard and it works too. Wondering what's the use case of this though. Doesn't seem much easier than pressing the actual text itself

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

If he can't find a use case for wireless charging, trying to convince him of this is pointless.
you might be confusing me with somebody else buddy

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can never get the device to slot into those things at first try. Ends up scuffing the area around the port.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aren’t there a bunch of USB-C devices that work only on some USB-C chargers? I mean it’s a step up from lightning but the whole format is unnecessarily confusing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The march towards larger phones has been a long time coming. Nokia’s most successful flagships were huge slabs of bricks. The market will clearly bear a larger size in exchange for more functionality.

It does suck for those of us who like compact phones.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Buy a glass protector. It costs an inordinate amount of money to replace the screen. The cost:benefit analysis is out of whack.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't see why it needs to appear as a fat bar before shrinking. It's pretty jarring and would be better if it was just skinny all the time. Or as somebody else suggested, just a tiny thing near the notch.

On a side note, I wish they'd move all the touch and swipe controls to the bottom. These are large screens. I shouldn't have to stretch my thumb to the top to see my notifications or access the control center. Design philosophy for large touchscreen phones should be to concentrate all of the navigation at the bottom.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 4, 2019

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Having portrait mode for non-human subjects is the big differentiator of the XS from the XR.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

iPhone had a huge first mover advantage and literally nothing was close to it in the first four or five models. But they’ve really lost all of the air of exclusivity in recent years.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Night mode should just be a patch for existing phones, this is pretty lame

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's the next milestone for camera achievement? Portrait mode was big. Now it's night mode and maybe wide angle. They could add another lens I guess.But feels like the next leap will take at least two more generations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Auto-correct is one of the things every user uses probably, like, the most and it doesn't seem like they've improved it very much over the years

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My battery health is 83% after just under two years of usage, this is bullshit

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So psyched about the Mini but am concerned that the Pro's Night Mode Portrait is gonna be another gamechanger like Night Mode itself and it'll again feel really sucky to miss out on it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Buy the mini you cowards, tell them we want smaller phones. I'm sick of these giant rear end devices

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

buglord posted:

At first it was kind of funny but I seem to have a recurring issue where my wife keeps having sex with my hunchback son and occasionally sister. I have no idea if it has anything to do with her being beautiful or lustful but its making it hard to get enough piety to reform my faith because these scandals keep popping up. I guess I can divorce her but my intrigue is really low and divorce also costs piety (although maybe it shouldn't if I caught her cheating right?) Incidentally, im reforming because im getting really tired of having to jail people for scandals. What I end up doing is pausing the game as soon as it happens, releasing them from prison (because even though its like 1100AD, their private life is none of my business) and sometimes getting a net positive relationship boost from it.

Also echoing what others said: Byzantium is too stable and in the 98 hours ive played, I dont think I've seen them not splattered across europe like a purple blood stain.
same

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I asked her to define gently caress and she defined it. She asked me if I wanted to hear the next definition and when it got to the last one she said gently caress out loud.

My dictionary definition doesn't include that mention of gently caress so she doesn't say it. Why is my dictionary censored

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wireless charging is nice I guess, but I often find myself using the phone even while it's charging (e.g., before bedtime or on an armchair), so I think you'd still rely on a cable for those occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

EC posted:

I just ordered a 12 Pro to replace my 8. I usually prefer slim cases, like the Apple leather case. What should I pick up for the 12?

I hemmed and hawed over the 12 Pro and the 12 Mini because I generally prefer smaller phones, but the telephoto lens sold me on it. That and the bigger battery.
The Caudabe Sheath is super slim and has a grippy texture. I dropped my device about a hundred times and there was no damage.

I'm interested to see how it'll do for the squared-off edges of the 12 -- the aesthetic will be different for sure -- but it was terrific for the rounded-off edges of my XS.