Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Stop fighting and face to the Apple Leather case supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

The best power bank I ever found was a Target-branded 12000 mAh model only available in soft-touch pink. Not kidding.

Target’s house brands are sometimes serious wins for value and quality.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have iPhone 13 Pro - what should I be looking for in a wireless charger to get the best experience? I haven't really paid attention to wireless charging standards but I know there's big differences out there.

I was hoping to get one of those 3-in-1 stands for my phone, watch, and AirPods, but it's really hard on Amazon to differentiate the cheap crap from the actual good stands. Was hoping there'd be something good on sale for Prime Day - any recommendations?

The official Apple MagSafe charger is great, and I pair it with the official 20W? charger. However it is not a tilt stand, it's flat on the table.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MHXH3AM/A/magsafe-charger

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

No I have like 2 friends and have not been involved in any group chat where folks are using stickers regularly, let alone multiple. I don’t even know how to fully use stickers yet. I’m trying to make more friends though :-/

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Gphotos is a better all in one service than iCloud IMO. My favorite aspect is that it’s entirely cross platform. I am not sure how pricing compares tbh. Though you will certainly find goons that are all-in on iCloud too.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Gay Retard posted:

iCloud.com isn't that bad and works on Chrome/Firefox/Safari, and the fact that so many people are comfortable with an advertising company holding onto personal photos because they're the status quo for web services is odd to me.

Ugh please don't start with this, it can go nowhere useful

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You tried spotlight search (swiping down on Home Screen) and reminders gives no results?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

When around last year was the iPhone event, starting to gear up for that around now I assume for an October phone release?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I still think warranty not covering water damage in any situation whatsoever is kinda BS.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Soul Glo posted:

depends on which three states you live near i guess?

From googling I surmised this would most often refer to NY/NJ/CT, although of course many other areas use this term.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero One posted:

Not only do I get 5G on AT&T, but I also get something now called 5G+

Which is probably the C-Band version because I don’t live near “Orlando - Orlando’s professional basketball arena”. (LOL that they refuse to say Amway on their website)

https://about.att.com/pages/5g-plus.html

5G on ATT is marketing speak for LTE. 5G+ is real 5G. That’s it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fourwood posted:

Source on this? The iPhone camera sensors are all large enough to capture 4K natively. I’ve never heard of it being upscaled 1080p and would be kind of shocked if that’s the case?

Yes I think OP is plain wrong on this point

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok thread, it's officially time for this year's conversations about why or why we did not upgrade. This is the phase before conversations around our delivery dates.

Can I ask earnestly, any 13 Pro users here putting in for a 14 Pro ?

Need the rationalization before I proceed plz

(This is a serious post)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 10, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Shifty Pony posted:

Nah there needs to be one fun/silly option. I know Apple wouldn't go for an iMac-color-like electric purple but was really hoping for at least something coming from the white side like lavender or lilac instead of black adjacent "deep purple".

Oh well, at least there's always cases like this:

This is sick and I would definitely like to see what Apple could do with its supply chain capability and being a market leader in cool materials manufacturing they can do with their cases. They don't really do that. They are already very solidly engineered but they don't seem to push the limits that much. Apple have 25 different iPhone models being sold but none that really stand out. I want an iPhone Ultra Max is what I'm trying to say.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Hell yeah time for some more reckless behavior

:hellyeah:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah terrible UX decision, why are they implicitly recommending users download 15.7 first? Dumb waste of time for millions of people at scale lol.

Anyways 16 is pending for me now. Do other users need to be on 16 for iMessage deletes to work?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Stare-Out posted:

Can't agree to the new app store terms and conditions so no updating apps for now I guess. It just gives a non-specific error.

Same here man. Try again later right? Can't install new apps either, wanted to install Privacy.com :)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can you paste objects into other photos? Or just messages?

You can't paste into photos, just out of photos. I tried it and it's wild! Works very well. Edge detection isn't gonna be perfect but it's a LOT faster than any other software right now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’ve always thought it was ridiculous that you couldn’t get your battery % displayed instead of the corner icon. But now that the square-sized lock screen widget doesn’t even have it, when there’s plenty of room, I’ve crossed over to thinking Apple is being malicious.

Ya but it becomes visible when you swipe down into control center

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If I open the lock screen with multiple notifications waiting, it only shows one notification at the bottom of the screen with a blank space in the middle. I need to swipe up to see more. Is this intended behavior?

So on iOS 16 you can only view one notification on your lock screen without swiping?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

101 posted:

Settings > Notifications > Display As List will get it back to the old behaviour I believe

Aha that’s it I think, thanks!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Dave posted:

Not sure I’m following the battery percentage convo correctly but with ios16 it’s back to on the screen all the time if enabled.

Oh poo poo you’re right!! No more internet debates, Apple has given us everything we want

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dinosaurs! posted:

Oh my god you’re right. How long has that been a thing?! I swear it didn’t used to be there.

It may be impossible to say given that proper changelogs went the way of the dodo several years ago("bugfixes and improvements"), but I think it's new to iOS 16.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vegetable posted:

I have to admit I actually don’t care for having the battery number in the top right. Maybe I’m just not used to it but it screams for attention. I much preferred seeing a symbol.

And it seems like there’s no way to turn it off. The number remains even after I turn off Battery Percentage in Settings. Bug?

Yes report it!!! But reboot your phone and it will probably be fixed

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/92CR5sd.jpg

What is the circled sun icon? Is it some sort of a sunshine meter? I might be dumb as hell but I wish there were more docs or legends for what these things mean. I’m not a big widget guy but I’m learning.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Durr, thanks guys. I had it set up using the default weather widget set so I didn't catch that individual explanation.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

vote_no posted:

The only thing I ever use Dark Sky for is to look at the map window with the arrows indicating storm direction. It’s perfect and the Apple Weather implementation of the idea is abysmal by comparison.

It sucks that they’re killing it without reaching feature parity.

What I do is use Weather Channel app’s radar function (my fav weather radar app), play the last few hours and predict the storm direction based on that. It’s a dumb workaround but it’s there in case you need it. It also has future cast radar models.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Binary Badger posted:

The next iPhone should have two pixie tubes embedded in the bottom plate that constantly display battery percentage while consuming 35% of the battery capacity

Nixie tubes :)

:page3:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

.Z. posted:

It's the change in dismissal behavior that's super annoying. Before you could swipe up anywhere to get rid of the search view. Now you've got to swipe up from home bar.

You can still tap in the limbo space instead of swipe up to dismiss. But yes, it is inconsistent.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I ran across this one trying to find the Lock Screen setup yesterday, it’s one of those little change for change-sale things Apple passes off as innovation, because I did use the screen changer there. How many users know you can change that back, or how to?

Another tip if you use dictation a lot- the keyboard changes are nice, but you can turn off the auto-punctuation feature in your keyboard settings. The code is seemingly (Hear a pause? Flip and a coin and add a period or comma) and it was bad enough in the beta I finally got feedback from my feedback to test it out more. Once that was done I tried it for 5 more minutes in the latest beta before turning it off again.

Yep when using dictation with Siri I always said “period” “comma” etc. instead of letting AI figure out what I mean. AI has its place, for example with spelling corrections it works well, but I like to say where I want my commas and what gear I want my PRNDL car in :-)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: whoa wrong thread, please disregard

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Tap the album art

Oh my god

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Those orbs reflecting bright point sources are how I can clearly identify that a YouTube video or whatever was shot with an iPhone. It's a distinctive stupid aspect of their image pipeline optics and I have no idea why. Doesn't happen with other smartphones or cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Abandon thread! :smugdon: