Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I really wanted a white 4, but I wanted to be an early adopter more, so I got black. And then the black 5 was so drat good looking I couldn't resist. So now I'm finally getting a white one. But silver, no gold for me. I'm a winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I had to leave my 4 in the glove compartment of my car in Phoenix in summer once, while I was taking a state licensure test. When I went back out, it had turned itself off and gave me a heat warning and it took about 15 minutes of running the AC in the car for the phone to cool down enough to turn on.

Now living in Denver, it's occasionally turned off due to cold. A few minutes in a pocket solves that though.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I have a 128GB Plus on 12 month Next. Over 24 months I'm actually spending $12 more but have the option to upgrade next year if I want.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

supersteve posted:

You're going to love it. For me, there was about a 24 hour period where I felt like the phone was pretty drat big but now it just feels normal and it's awesome. The screen and camera blow me away.

Using my girlfriends 5 makes me wonder how I ever used such a small phone before.

Yeah, no regrets here. It's working pretty well as a replacement for my iPad that I occasionally make calls on.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I've tended to get the bodies scratched up quite a bit, which is why I'm going with an ultra-thin, clear case for my 6+, but also keep my phone alone in a front pocket, so I've never scratched the screen. I think I scratched my 4 a few months before I upgraded, but since they switched to Gorilla Glass, my 5's screen has been perfect since I got it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
In cable chat, I brought in two cables that I had wrapped in electrical tape, and then it frayed below that, so I did a second wrap. This was before I heard about taking them in.

The lady said that she would replace one only after I looked really sad. She initially said she and others had been scolded for replacing too many of them that were so badly damaged. So they will replace them, but YMMV. If it's too much of a fire hazard they might refuse it. There's a sweet spot apparently between frayed and hosed.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

So who here has consolidated and went from an iPhone + iPad to just an iPhone 6 Plus?

I really don't use my iPad a lot but every once in a while I still need the extra screen space. Pros? Cons?

Me. Don't miss the iPad except for the occasional game that is iPad only.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Got in on my phone (6+) earlier than on my wife's phone (5). Was able to buy mine easily, but on hers it kept having an issue accessing AT&T servers for some reason at the end page. So I just did her line on mine (replace phone on another line option), and it worked perfectly. Getting a silver 128 + for me and a Rose Gold 64 for her, both delivering on 9/25. This is the smoothest I've ever had this go, and I've been one of the stupid people who either lined up at 5 AM, or stayed up all night to get on the store since the 3G.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It makes less sense if you swap every year (since then you're paying for twice the coverage you need) and you're not clumsy. You can break the screen once and come out even. If you are accident prone or keeping the phone for two years, definitely worth it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Doubt it, it never happened on my 5S and doesn't happen on my wife's 6, still. And the Apple rep didn't think it was being done for security.

It's not my phone passcode, it's my iTunes password, just to be clear.

I've been power cycling it a lot because it's A New Gadget and because of the other things in my original post - trying to get it working, basically.

And it's happening just when the phone comes on? Because it's supposed to happen the first time you make a purchase after every power cycle, but not just when you turn the phone on.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
So the only thing that will have changed is...everything?!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah a judge ruled that since a passcode is an idea in your brain basically it's protected by the fifth amendment, but a fingerprint is your body so they can compel you to unlock a phone using TouchID. The advice now is if you're about to be arrested and you don't want your phone searched, reboot it so TouchID won't work.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My VOICE is my...passport? Verify...me.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It's a beta so there's a few little funky things, particularly with apps. My bank app works fine except I can't deposit a check with it anymore. macOS has more things that just don't work right now, even first-party. The Siri button does nothing when I click it, which is lame, because I installed the dev beta so I could screw around with the Siri API they just opened up.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

porktree posted:

Rebooot, rebooot reboot. Siri's working for me, I had some iMessage issues, and the appstore didn't load yesterday. My only real bitch is that everytime I reboot I have to re-authorize my Pebble.

Sorry I meant Siri isn't working on macOS, which given that it's the biggest drat new feature is like, c'mon guys.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My favorite is when I want to call a business that is not in my contacts through car play.

"I can't find that in your contacts, would you like me to look up businesses with that name?"

"Yes"

"Ok, I found three businesses matching that name. Here is a list."

*gives me a list of addresses that I can open in Maps for directions, no phone numbers or ability to call*

*pick up my phone and start using the internet while I'm driving argh gently caress*

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Apple Music in iOS 10 is also a massive improvement, and has the weekly discover playlist functionality

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You have to approve an Airdrop request. Even if you are visible to everyone. You literally can't just drop poo poo on others phones without their permission. I don't think any of you have actually used Airdrop. I may literally be the only person on earth who has outside of Apple headquarters.

E: to drop onto someone else's device. I believe that nobody here has used to for anything other than own-device to own-device transfer.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
iOS 14 appears to have broken Carplay for me.

Ah, Siri is now off by default(?) and I can’t figure out how to turn it on.

Ah, it kees switching my and my son’s content restrictions from screen time. Fun.

Nope still not it, Siri still not enabled

Finally found it, Siri settings were the 17th entry down in Settings search and don’t always show up when you search for “Siri” lol

Riven fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

enojy posted:

Carplay seems fine for me, although I solely use Music, and rarely, Maps. Are you plug-in Carplay or wireless? Have you tried re-pairing your vehicle(s) post-iOS 14?

To clarify I’m plugin, but it was that upgrading turned Siri off for some reason.