Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know it's personal preference, but I couldn't imagine trying to use a 6+ with one hand. The regular 6 is already bordering on being too big for one handed use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wonder what is selling more, iPhone 6 or 6+. The Apple Store was completely out of 6 cases, but they had a full wall of 6+ cases. Best Buy had a 10-15 different iPhone 6 cases, but no 6+ cases.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bugs wise, I've noticed the following issues:

-3rd Party Keyboards sometimes come up, other times the default one will pop up
-Some notifications will "stick" at the top of the screen until I act on them

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody online done battery tests based on screen brightness? I've always been curious how much longer the battery life would last at 25%, 50%, and 100%.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Have we heard anything regarding whether or not the Apple Watch is waterproof? Seems like a must for any wallet, but I imagine it would be tough to do with something like the Apple Watch.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently iOS 10 beta 2 won't let me send SMS's. Whoops.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently you can trick an iPhone into displaying CarPlay on Android tablet using this $50 USB dongle:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826755246.html

There's even a wireless version for $100:

https://avinusa.com/wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-usb-adapter.html

I'm tempted to grab a refurbished Fire HD 8 and a CD slot mount so the car I'm leasing has carplay.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

They just pile up.

DND is great. I leave it on 24/7. It greatly improves the quality of my life.

I pretty much just have everything set to "deliver quietly", no badges on the home screen, and I'll use the notification drawer to look at notifications by app.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok, that’s fair.

In other CarPlay beta stuff, I absolutely love how the phone screen and CarPlay screen aren’t locked to the same app anymore.

It’s really jarring when my girlfriend and I switch between her iPhone and my iPhone running iOS 13. I also like that you can see your driving directions and the music being played on the same screen.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

This has got to be the ultimate style over substance product ever. It's a really mediocre rewards card from a group of sociopaths who blew up the economy a decade ago and ought to hang.

It has no technological edge and can't export to mint et al, it has no dollars and cents advantage over other rewards cards, it has no feel good organic ethics advantage due to association with Goldman, no prestige advantage because sub prime applicants are getting approved. What it does have is reflections and mood ring coloring. Jesus Christ.

It geo-tags all of your purchases and conveniently displays them on a map. It doesn't have a card number so nobody can steal the number and use it. It doesn't sell any of your spending habits to advertisers or third parties. Sure, many of these features could come standard with certain credit cards, but they don't.

This is one of the few cases where tech journalists seem pleasantly surprised with an Apple product. They probably should get around to a billing website for it, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 13, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is anybody else using iOS 13? iMessage improvements and the new sharing overlay are probably my favorite new features.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Now that iOS 13.1 has full Shortcut Automation support, I'm grabbing some cheap NFC stickers to mess around with. Besides the obvious ideas (automatically playing a podcast when putting your phone down in your car, turning on a room's lights), has anybody thought of any other cool ways to use NFC tags?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

They only work on X phones?

Only on XS, XS Max, and XR, oddly enough:

https://www.bluebite.com/nfc/iphone-nfc-compatibility

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

AT&T annoys me because we only have two options as a two-person plan - 10GB with a 24% employer discount, or unlimited with no employer discount. We need 15GB a month and the last week of our billing cycle is always horribly throttled to less than 3G speeds whenver we go over.

We're going to switch to T-Mobile next year and get a good deal on 5G iPhones, but there's no doubt pricing will be more expensive once T-Mobile and Sprint merge and 5G plans become more prevalent.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My XS Max was dropped 4 feet on pavement from my bicycle's handlebars a few weeks ago with just an Apple leather case and a glass screen protector. The corner of the case is all torn up and the screen protector is cracked but it's still in perfect condition.

I was sure the screen had shattered. I bought a better bicycle mount later that day.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I paid $20 for 2Do for Mac + iPhone, but honestly, Reminders on Catalina and iOS 13 is "good enough" for me. Admittedly, 2Do has some more advanced way to organize things, but Reminders has been just as good.

Notes has also been pretty great in Catalina and iOS 13 now that the semester has started - I organize my classes by sub-folder, and copy and paste in lecture pdfs and powerpoint slides directly into each day's lecture notes and can access them from any of my devices.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The 4/5 hour battery increases are pretty impressive - an 11 Pro Max would probably last 2 days for most people.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Taken with my XS Max:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 11, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Housh posted:

I have a 7 Plus. Is the Pro Max the same size or bigger? I'm confused because of the screen sizes.

Pro Max is the same size as your 7 Plus.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple is bringing simultaneous video recording to the XS:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/16/multiple-camera-recording-ios-13/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Do you guys think we'll get a forth camera next year? Macro maybe?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

lol if tim gives me a macro lens on my phone I’m basically saying cya to anything else in life

Honestly, I'm really glad I had a Fuji X-T20 for my trip to Thailand, even though I owned an iPhone X when I went, but I'm pretty confident an 11 Pro would have taken just as high quality photos at this point. I'm not even sure if I'll bother picking up any new lenses.

Mad Wack posted:

just lmao if you are not constantly taking photos of everything in your stupid life and then never looking at them

I spent a weekend going through 30 gigs of Photos for the first time in 5 or 6 years. So many duplicates and pointless photos that ended up getting deleted.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 19, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I was able to create a memoji even though I am still on a 7+. Was this added for us non-X havers?

Yep! Didn't they add some portrait mode support for some older phones at some point, too?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Dave posted:

The nice thing about visible or Xfinity/Spectrum is there aren't contracts, so if you don't have device payments to worry about you can try them out for a month and if you don't like them you can just leave.

I've been on Xfinity Mobile since December and feel stupid for not jumping ship from ATT sooner.

My buddy just got a job at Comcast and has been singing the praises of Xfinity Mobile, but I just switched from Xfinity to AT&T U-verse FIber, because gently caress Comcast and their stupid 1 TB cap.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Dave posted:

What was last year's?

Shoddy Intel modems. The one on my XS Max had tons of issues staying connected until a software update finally fixed it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The iPhone 11 Pro's glass is really durable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXn_pcOoRzA

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You guys ready for the iPhone 4 redux? Definitely tied for my favorite iPhone design, along with the X.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/25/kuo-2020-iphones-to-boast-redesigned-metal-frame/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/BenGeskin/status/1177242732550610945?s=20

Take my money, Apple.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I think it's obvious the notch will be diminished in some way, but it will be interesting to see if they can make it disappear altogether, or maybe just a cutout for the front facing camera? Some Android phones go that route.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Upgrading from an iPhone 6 or older is worth it just for the high-speed cellular bands that every US cellular company supports now. I guess you could wait for 5G at this point?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cebrail posted:

5G doesn't really matter.

Tell that to people in high density areas with congestion issues.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TheWevel posted:

5g won't fix that either.

I guess we're just ignoring the 5G spec now? It allows more more simultaneous users than 4G currently does, yes?

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3203489/what-is-5g-how-is-it-better-than-4g.html

"Despite 5G base stations being much smaller than their 4G counterparts, they pack in many more antennas. These antennas are multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO), meaning that they can handle multiple two-way conversations over the same data signal simultaneously. 5G networks can handle more than 20 times more conversations in this way than 4G networks."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/business/articles/business/5g-network-performance-attributes/

"The number of connected devices will be more than three times the global population by 2022. 5G will be capable of supporting up to 1 M devices in a square kilometer. Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband will eventually handle 10 to 100 times more connected devices per square kilometer than 4G."

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 30, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I don't know why anyone cares about 5G at this point and time unless you're a telco employee in it for the hype and revenue. Sure, there's a 5G spec, but no one actually knows what 5G will look like in the US beyond the basic concepts and planning stages. There's no way there will be anything except maybe rudimentary 5G trials in select major markets NY/LA/Chicago when the 5G 2020 iPhone releases. It's such a non-issue to consider when purchasing your new phone today.

If I had an iPhone with 5G support today, I could get 5G in my area through AT&T and Verizon. I’ll certainly concede that for most people, their experience won’t make much of a difference, but we’re a year away from millions of 5G iPhones coming alive, networks be damned.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t feel like looking for the post about new AirPods but I just hope they don’t take Microsoft’s queue and try to copy this look:

I think John Gruber said it best, that they look like you’re sticking Apple Watch chargers into your ears.

This is what the NC airpods look like:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It seems like a lot of people prefer in ear headphones because normal AirPods don’t fit in everybody’s ears properly. Those are going to be $350, so there’s no way they replace normal AirPods.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m on a Family Sharing thing as the organizer because I’m paying for the iCloud Storage. I’m not interested in Apple Arcade after the trial ends but my sister(s) want to keep it.

Can one of them (marked as “Adult” in Settings, if it matters) subscribe to Apple Arcade and still share it with the Family or is this something that only me/the “Organizer” can do?

On a related note, one of them bought a new iPhone 11 Pro so they should get a free year of AppleTV+. Does anyone know if she would be able to share this with the family as well or is it once again something only the “Organizer” can do?

We’re just trying to figure out if we should just reorganize and make her the Organizer and then deal with me Venmo-ing her money for iCloud Drive or if she can just subscribe as-is.

Family sharing doesn't let individual accounts have separate credit cards. It's my least favorite thing about iOS.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple needs to swipe Pixel 4's real-time audio transcription feature:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/15/20915452/google-pixel-4-recorder-app-transcription-real-time-free-language-processing

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fallom posted:

Do these companies even bother trying to figure out if users would enjoy these features?

Or how about, "Do I ever see me and my family using this feature?".

Most times, it's no. Apple is one of the few companies that are a little better about this.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh it’s even better. Press it 2x and the sentence is selected. 3x and the whole paragraph block is selected.

If you use a Mac, then it’s the same gesture I think.

This is so much easier than the old way of selecting/copying/pasting text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arivia posted:

hey people holding onto SEs for dear life like me: a new battery basically makes it a new phone again, spend $100 and you're good for another two years until apple gets their head out of their rear end

lol Apple isn't making any smaller phones anymore. The new SE is going to be the size of the iPhone 8 and the only thing "SE" about it is the $400 price tag.