Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

When I'm using bluetooth to make phone calls in my car, the connection to my iPhone 6 drops intermittently and is infuriating. I don't have this problem with bluetooth audio streaming, or with my Moto X. Is this a known bug that affects everyone, or should I go down the restore from iTunes route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Super Dude posted:

Is there any way to completely disable visual voicemail on the iphone? Every time I swap from my iphone to my android phone, voicemail notifications break. According to Verizon, visual voicemail on the iphone is some special snowflake that doesn't follow visual voicemail on any of the other platforms, and the only thing they can do about it is reset my voicemail settings. Each time my sim card is in the iphone, Apple's visual voicemail is re-enabled and I can't stop it.

If you get a non-iPhone sim from Verizon then visual voicemail will be disabled.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Super Dude posted:

What makes something a non-iPhone sim? The one I'm using came from my Moto X.

That should be all you need. Maybe take your Moto X into a Verizon store and get a new sim card and don't touch the voicemail configuration. I had the exact same setup (Moto X & iPhone 6) and the sims that came in each phone behaved differently when swapped. Eventually, though, I learned it was easier to just:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Stop swapping phones like a sperglord.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

dexter6 posted:

Does my current status with AT&T (not eligible for upgrade until Mar 2016) have any effect on whether or not Apple will put me on their lease program? It's unclear*

*maybe it's because no one knows yet?

No effect. The Apple plan is completely independent of carrier financing/contract status. Imagine it's like you're buying a new iPhone for full retail price on a credit card with 0% interest for 2 years.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

For Apple Upgrade Program/In-store reservations, I went through the checkout process and picked "Replace my iPhone" and "Pay Full Price" before the check in-store availability link showed up. Clicking it took me to safari where I could buy 1 or 2 of the iPhones I selected. My store had a ton of reservation windows left, for what it's worth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

The extra RAM in the 6S+ completely delivers. My biggest annoyance with the 6 was that Pocketcasts would always get bumped from the now playing screen whenever I paused a podcast and did anything else on my phone. If getting in the car no longer means that the first song in my iTunes library autoplays this purchase is completely justified.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Also, Touch ID being superfast means that Apple Pay is much more usable.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

For anyone curious, I bought one 6S+ at Verizon and one at the Apple Store, and they're the exact same part & model number: MKV82LL/A & A1687.

Edit: the one from the Apple Store was on the apple upgrade program

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I currently have a 5S and the first song in my library plays every single time I get in the car, and sometimes if I answer a phone call as well (it plays over the person talking and I can't hear anything). Is this something improved in the 6S?

I almost always have a podcast as the last thing I listened to in my car, and when I get out of the car the podcast pauses. With every previous iPhone if I did anything else on my phone, when I went back to the car the podcast was usually forced out of memory and the same lovely song would start playing.

It's a small sample size and entirely anecdotal, but I haven't noticed this happening on the 6S+.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

After 3 days with the 6s+, I still feel like I'm going to drop it, and it never feels comfortable in my pocket, so am going to exchange it for a 6s. The biggest thing holding me back is the terrible process of setting up a new phone again.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

What are you having to do besides backup/restore?

iTunes choked on my encrypted backup, so no app passwords, activity data, etc. carried over.

That, plus the Apple Watch process is the worst.

I'll manage to set everything up again, but it's basically just a time suck.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

So I restored from an encrypted backup, and some apps just disappeared (maybe the ones from family purchases) and I have a bunch of apps that refuse to download.

I've signed out/in iTunes a couple of times and rebooted a few times. Nothing working yet. I really hope apple fixes this before I get another phone.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

I like the Anker and Insignia (Best Buy brand) cables. They're both sturdier than Apple cables. Generally MFi Lightning cables are cheap now so just buy a bunch.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

The Gillman posted:

Back links in iOS 9.

But I might be a weirdo about that anyway because I only keep three icons in there for symmetry

Symmetry is not the reason I do this. Asymmetry is, so the dock icons stand out more.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

TraderStav posted:

Do you pay another round of taxes when you trade it in or just the original? If not, there may be some arbitrage there people aren't taking into account.

You pay taxes upfront every. loving. time.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Weedle posted:

I bought a 7+ in an Apple Store yesterday. Reservation, no pre-order. It was easy.

Me too. For anyone else that wants to try this, the apple website seems to refresh inventory arbitrarily somewhere between 12am and 8am.

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?iPP=U

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Sadly Missouri and Kansas for some reason don't let you reserve phones, yet another excuse to move out of the middle-west I guess! In any case, thank you for your responses kind goons, I appreciate it!

Yes they do. Try a different time... mornings after the store opens seem to be best.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

I'm going to nominate the Amazon basics iPhone case as the best case. I like the Apple Leather Case, and this is pretty much that, but it starts out grippier. Also it's $10 instead of $50.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Snowmankilla posted:

It's leather?

No, it's synthetic. But it feels about the same as the leather case to me.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Celery Jello posted:

Here's a question. I've not gotten a Plus before but am thinking about upgrading to the 8 Plus. If I end up deciding I'm not a fan after some extended use (rather than in-store), would Apple already be accepting those as tradeins for the X, or is there generally a delay before they do?

With all the screen shortage rumors floating around, it's entirely possible that was the plan, but they had to come out with another phone they knew they could produce in large quantities to cover for the extra two months of time they needed to prevent the launch from flopping.

You'll end up losing at least $300 from the 8+ purchase price to trade it in, even in 2 months.

You can buy the 8+ and try it... if you don't like it you have 14 days to return/exchange for a regular 8.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Don't some phones with wireless charging magnetically stick to the charger itself anyway?

My wife had some case for her phone that charged wirelessly and it definitely stuck to its base which was magnetic

Yeah, the Palm Pre:

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

The glass back on the 8+ makes this so much more manageable. I could never use the other plus phones because they were all slippery as gently caress.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

MarcusSA posted:

So Verizon business still sucks for the AUP.

Glad I got that free sprint account

I have the free Sprint account, and when I go through the pre-qualification steps I have to choose a new plan. Hopefully this isn't binding.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

crazypenguin posted:

Okay, I feel stupid for asking, but...

Is there an easier way to clear an individual notification than swiping left on it, then tapping 'clear'? I am surprised at how annoyed I am with this. This is a much slower and more aggravating UI that "just swipe them away" on my 6 year old android phone.

This seems to suggest that's the only way: https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph6534c01bc

But that also claims there will be an X button to clear all. I've seen that... sometimes. But it's not there right now, so when does that show up?

Or am I supposed to interact with notifications differently somehow? Seems to me, you get an notification, you either want to handle it, dismiss it, or leave it for later. But for some reason, dismissing it is a lot harder than it needs to be.

I feel silly complaining because "how hard is a swipe and tap?" But it really feels so much slower.

Swipe left all the way past the manage/view/clear options.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was all about the Mini until I saw it wasn't pre-ordering until November.

I'm still trying to figure out how the new 12 is almost the same size as my X, but has a bigger screen. I've seen reports that the bezels are smaller, but those were comparing it to the LCD Xr and 11's displays. Are they that much smaller compared to prior OLED screens? It's difficult to eyeball in photos.

It looks like the bezels did shrink slightly, and the 12 is slightly bigger physically than the X. It’s wedged in between the X/XS/11 Pro and the XR/11 sizes as illustrated here:

https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/1316106283007827970

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just treated myself to some AirPods Pro in the hope that the ANC means I can keep it quieter and not be deaf by the time I’m 50.

What’s the deal with Spatial Audio? Apparently it doesn’t work on the 10.5” iPad Pro in general but also I guess doesn’t do anything in any apps on my XS from what I can see?

I just got some AirPods Pro and spatial audio is hard to explain but extremely cool. Turning your head changes how loud/quiet each AirPod is—that part is a gimmick. But the surround sound is impressive and provides noticeable depth to the audio.

As far as I can tell though it’s limited to Apple TV+ content, and maybe stuff you purchase/rent from iTunes.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

What's the over/under for a version of this case that charges your phone and airpods at the same time? $179 feels about right.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/16/magsafe-battery-case/

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Should I install the latest beta update if I’m getting a new phone tomorrow and want to get off of the beta cycle?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Should I install the latest beta update if I’m getting a new phone tomorrow and want to get off of the beta cycle?

This is going to get messy, and I can’t be the only one dumb enough to do this to myself.

iOS won’t allow a new phone to restore a iOS 14.2 backup to iOS 14.1.

Is the best way around this to set up the iPhone 12 as a new phone, install the beta on that, and then restore from backup?

If I connect to a PC can I get around the requirement that the backup iOS version be <= target phone iOS version?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Endless Mike posted:

You can, but then you lose all of your data from the time when you made the archive to when you downgrade. I think the OP's dilemma is that their current phone is on the 14.2 beta while their new phone will be on the release 14.1, so they can either find a 14.1 archive and lose the intervening date, or update the new phone, then restore it.

This is correct. I can restore a months-old backup, but I'd lose a lot of data. Installing the beta on the new phone first won't be terrible, but that you have to take this step first is not at all apparent when the transfer process fails.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Astro7x posted:

Never been so frustrated trying to set up a new iPhone before, it's making me do it a third time now. Going from iPhone 8 to a iPhone 12 Pro. Why the hell does it keep asking me for some random Apple ID password for an email address I've never seen before? Should I be concerned?

Yeah this process sucks poo poo. First I had a ton of verizon errors, and now it's saying that there's not enough space to restore a 128GB iPhone XR backup to a 256GB iPhone 12 Pro.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Beta software is great. I’m getting a pop up telling me to update but the update setting screen says “your software is up to date”.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

You can still preorder an iPhone 12 Mini for launch day delivery. What the hell is happening?

Edit: the black one looks really nice

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Are all of the Apple leather cases bad this year, or is it just mine where the corners keep popping out of the case?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Holy poo poo they fixed selecting text in iOS15

iOS 14 did this so badly. Thank god

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

The corners of my 13 Pro keep popping out of the Apple silicone case—from being in my pocket, I guess. Is the leather case any better at this, or do Apple cases just do this now?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Weedle posted:

no it happens all the time with the leather case on my 12 mini. the flat sides mean the phone kind of just sits in there now instead of being wrapped around by the case edges

My 12 mini was pretty good about not popping off. The ATP boys mentioned this case and it looks like a pretty good replacement for the silicone case:

https://www.nudient.com/product/thin-v3-case-pine-green-iphone-13-pro

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Gay Retard posted:

They should drop the SE and figure out a way to sell the Mini for the price of the SE - I wouldn't want to be a dev and have to support the SE's 4.7" screen at this point.

This has to be the eventual plan. The mini will get phased out and be reborn as the ~2023 SE with an A17 processor.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Christ, scrolling in the Gmail app is dogshit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Inner Light posted:

You lost me here bud

Scrolling in the Gmail app on iOS visibly stutters. No issues scrolling the same emails in mail.app. I thought it was just not updated for Pro Motion, but it looks just as bad on my partner’s 12 pro.