Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

This just seems like a worse option to me, personally. For example, if I'm out and about, I can see myself using my phone with two hands, doing all that cool two handed poo poo people would do, but at home, I'd like one handed view if I'm lying in bed or just using my phone for a few moments.

If you want to use the phone in a "one handed mode" like the Note for extended periods of time then it just sounds like a large phone is not for you. Apple's solution sounds like the best compromise, although with the back navigation button being on the upper left I'm worried it will make using Reachability necessary too often. I'm going to a 6+ from a Nexus 5 (a 5" phone) so I'm already used to not being able to reach all of the phone with one hand all of the time, but I'm also used to having a back button on the bottom that's easily reachable.

People are ultimately going to find the larger screen worth it to get used to using two hands more often (which I think I will) or will just hate it and go back to "normal" sized phones. The exchange rate of the 6+ will be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Wait until people realize you can't sit down or climb stairs with it in your front pocket. Its like the Note all over again - 2014 Apple style.

That is entirely dependent on what pants you are wearing. Big fat nerds will have no problem keeping the 6+ in their pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Y8HMCz7p4&t=234s

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

To people upset about Apple leaving the base model at 16GB and bumping the +$100 model to 64 GB... This is the same company that restricted iBooks to mirror-only mode when connecting an external display. There was no hardware reason for this, Apple crippled the software on the iBook to make paying more for the PowerBook more appealing. In every product line Apple loves to make it look irresistible to pay a little more to get a lot more benefit. This is why the base model is still 16GB. Remember a few months ago when there were rumors of Apple increasing the price of the iPhone? I think this move is the outcome of that. You basically have to get the 64GB unless you are a poor.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

bobfather posted:

You must have been so ANGRY 12 years ago when you discovered your shiny white iBook could only mirror its screen.

you think I'm some poor ibook owner? you insult me

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

3) a slightly thicker phone with a battery that improves on the 5S, not just compensates for the bigger screen

Oh no, can't do that, my hand hold feel requirements need < 7 mm, not 8 mm!!

I get the impression they wanted to make this phone extra thin to compensate for the larger size. Also if the battery estimates are accurate then this is hardly needed. Give me a phone that's still thin after slapping a case on it and I'm down.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I must be bad luck. Last iPhone I bought was the 4 and I had to deal with hurr hurr don't hold it like that antenna gate people.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

it's gonna be okay guys :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLb8rfrUKNA

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Having worked AppleCare support in a call center before I expect Apple will replace bent phones that appear to be from "normal use." IE if there's some obvious impact from a fall or an extreme bend such as from sitting on it they will probably tell you to take a hike.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

With T-Mobile Wifi calling should I always be seeing "T-Mobile Wi-Fi" in my status bar when connected to wifi? It seems to randomly alternate between just "T-Mobile" and "T-Mobile Wi-Fi." The actual wifi connection doesn't appear to be dropping out.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

A lot of what Apple has integrated into the OS thus far has origins in android.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The Plus will only be awesome if there's software support for it. Using non-updated apps on it is brutal. Like you're using some sort phone for blind old men. Twitter was updated to support the higher resolution, but doesn't even allow landscape mode. If that's the typical developer support the Plus receives then it will be wasted potential.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So my 6+ is my first iPhone since the 4, so a lot of stuff is new. It looks like the Apple Store app and Google Wallet set up a geo fence, so I have the geo fence menu item displayed 100% of the time, which is annoying. If it works like I think it does, this shouldn't cause any battery drain because it uses the cell tower/wifi triangulation stuff and not precise GPS location information. But it's still annoying to have the geo fence icon up 100% of the time. Do you guys just turn off location for dumb apps that do this or just put up with the stupid icon?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Keep it up. Soon your hand will get swole.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Does iCloud sync video between devices? I have photostream and the Photo Library beta turned on. I'm on a PC with the latest iCloud software (so I have iCloud drive). It doesn't look like videos are automatically synced anywhere that I can see.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what "real professional job" uses free Gmail accounts for business purposes.

Many businesses use Google Apps for Work. However for those people Google allows the Exchange support that it used to allow everyone, so push isn't an issue for them.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Feenix posted:

OIS is nuts. I ran alongside my kid in the grass and the video looks like the camera is on a loving dolly or something.

OIS only works on still photos. Both iPhone 6 and 6+ have digital stabilization for video.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I think the way notifications are managed is something that needs a major overhaul.

I'm not sure what the answer is but there must be a better way, one that doesn't involve a long list of dozens of apps and multiple sliders for each.

Use an Android phone. You will be amazed at how great notification management is on iOS then.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

That's a very personal opinion - I think android's system is far superior. Much prefer the ability to glance and look for a notification than have to pull the drawer down and scroll through to do so.

Also, iOS badly needs a clear all button.

I'm specifically referring to how Android handles the management of apps and notifications. As in there is almost no management what so ever. All apps can notify by default, and you have to dig into an obscure settings preference to disable them. You need to use third party apps if you want any customization to how the notifications are handled.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm 90% positive I'm keeping my Plus, but I'm curious how it works if I decide to exchange it for a 6. I bought it from Apple online using Bill Me Later/PayPal Credit. I don't believe they do Bill Me Later in store, so I'm curious if that complicates things.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Permissions are all there. Redownloaded the app. Nothing. Whatever.

Next topic: I'm sitting here looking at my iPhone 6 screen and it's already become a greasy fingerprint magnet. Oleophobic coating is gone, apparently. The screen is still really smooth to the touch, though.

Oleophobic isn't some magic not-at-all-possible-to-have-fingerprints voodoo magic. It literally means it repels oil. Your greasy fingerprints can still get on the screen but it will be much easier to clean and wipe away with a microfiber cloth. Whereas if it were not oleophobic you'd probably just end up spreading the prints around on the screen and might need some cleaning solution to remove the prints.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

CoasterMaster posted:

I hope everyone that supports dropping the normal headphone jack for lightning headphones never needs to charge their device while listening to music.

You can buy the Y-adapter for only $29!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do people normally just leave Bluetooth on all the time? Unless I'm in someone's car who has Bluetooth connectivity I have no need for it and leave it off.

I leave BT on my 6+ so my Fitbit can sync in the background.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm looking forward to Apple making it easier for retailers to shake money out of my like I'm a human pinata.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been thinking about the notion that a protruding camera lens makes it more susceptible to scratches when you set it down. I'm not sure that's true.

When the lens is flush with the back of the phone, the entire surface back makes contact with the surface its laid on. But when the camera is protruding, the lens doesn't make contact - the edge of the housing does. So while that edge may experience more wear, the lens does not, and you reduce otherwise conspicuous scratching on the back of the phone.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

I had an iPhone 4 with a flush camera and it got scratched to all hell. But that was plastic (or glass?) and this is sapphire.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I experienced the most annoying bug two mornings in a row now. I'd wake up normal to my alarm, but I've been feeling sick so the last two mornings I opened up my default timer app and put in a 30 minute timer. Fall back asleep and wake up to the timer. Next step I'm not sure what happens but I somehow end up dismissing the notification on the lock screen but the timer is still ringing. I open up the timer app and there is no current timer set. There is no way to turn off the ringing unles I reboot the phone.

same thing happened to me. it's (not) awesome

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The iPhone Thread: The payments industry is somehow more hosed up than the wireless industry

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Most android owners I've seen just have their phone blinking 24/7 because they don't know how to dismiss notifications.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Have any other iPhone 6+ owners noticed some weirdness to scrolling in apps? This doesn't seem to happen all of the time, but I will notice if I am scrolling with my finger and just hold my finger in place it will start to jitter up and down by like 10 pixels, like it doesn't realize my finger is in one place. When this happens if I scrub my finger up and down to scroll the phone will eventually just forget that I was scrolling at all and wont recognize any input until I lift up my finger and try again. Like I said it doesn't happen all of the time, otherwise I would have already taken it in to be replaced. I don't want to bring it in and not be able to show them what's happening and wind up wasting my time.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I've seen it happen in updated apps like Twitter and Instagram.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I found the dumbest loving iPhone accessory/"case".

It's a loving rubber band

I picture that popping off immediately when placed in a pocket.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

It blows my goddamn mind that there are people who don't understand the concept of turning the screen off when they're finished using the phone for a period of time. Like just goes right into their pocket or purse or whatever until the screen naturally goes to sleep. I've met at least half a dozen people in my life that didn't even know you could turn the screen off or that it saves battery or anything. Un loving believable.

sorry about your aspergers

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The fingerprint scanner, at least isn't new to the S6. The S5 debuted it at Samsung and doesn't work anywhere near as well as TouchID.

The S6 fingerprint sensor works like the iPhone now. You touch it instead of sliding your finger. PROGRESS!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

How good are Apple at covering hairline cracks (specifically in the corner) under warranty? I have AppleCare+ but it's not bad enough for me to pay to have it replaced under AC+. I haven't dropped it so I'm hoping they'll consider it a defect rather than accidental damage. iPhone 6 Plus for what it's worth.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I gently set my iPhone 6 Plus face down on the garage floor today to act as a light as I was working under my car. It's in one of the Apple branded rubberized cases. When i picked it up afterwards I noticed a bad scratch on the white bezel above the screen. Oh well. I guess I deserved that, setting my phone face down on a garage floor. Even though the case sticks out a little bit in the front I guess it wasn't enough. But then I made a phone call about an hour later, and while I was on the phone I heard a crack sound. Looked at the glass and sure enough, a crack appeared perpendicular to the scratch going right through the middle of it. It still manages to avoid the actual screen area. Is the glass so weak that a scratch is going to weaken the glass enough to crack, or is this just a coincidence. Has anyone else experienced any "spontaneous" cracks?

note, the peeling case is unrelated, it just tends to peel on the corners and edges.

I had a similar looking crack on my 6+ and it was covered under warranty.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

banana allergy posted:

Apple is repairing the cameras on these phones only. They're not replacing the phones.

Since when has Apple ever only repaired parts in phones except for the screen? They're going to hand you a refurb'd unit.

I wish there were example photos of what this issue looks like. Are we talking like vaseline blurry or just not as sharp as it could be?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Feenix posted:

iPhone/Apple store guys (or anyone who knows...) I have AppleCare+. Does my phone have to be appreciably damaged to get the 79 dollar swap? I want a mint one for a resale but it feels... wrong... to damage mine more than the one or two dings on the bezel.

The AppleCare can transfer to the new owner you know...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So I'm assuming to get the Apple Upgrade Plan you just had to make a store reservation? I didn't see any mention of it in the Apple Store app so I just followed the instructions to make a reservation. v:shobon:v

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1fZ7Ap6ebs

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Plus-havers, I am a fan of the nobiggi: http://www.getnobiggi.com/

It's a cloth band that lets you hold the phone one-handed easily without adding much bulk.

For my 6 Plus I put it on a case, but for my 6s Plus I put it on the phone itself, since the phone feels so much sturdier and resilient than the 6 Plus. Also I'm on the Apple Upgrade Program so I don't really have as much of an incentive to keep it in pristine condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My iPhone 6s Plus is acting very strange today. It will suddenly stop responding to touch/home button, but it isn't locked up. If what I'm looking at is animating it will still animate. This freeze lasts 10-30 seconds, and makes the phone unusable. I've tried rebooting several times. Tried force quitting all of the apps in the task switcher. It seemed to be switching back and forth between Wifi/4G, so I tried resetting network settings and that seems to have calmed things down.