Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I forget from past years- do the preorders typically arrive on launch day?

I've got to go out of town the next week and it's gonna suck if my shiny new phone is out of my reach for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Is there any way to trigger the popup to forward SMS messages to iCloud? It worked on my 5 but for some reason it isn't doing it now on my 6.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I am handing my old 5 down to my wife. I backed up her 4s to iCloud and restored the 5 from it but it says no service. Do we need to get her a new SIM card?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

No, I didn't transfer the sim at all. We will run out to AT&T tomorrow and get a new SIM for her.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

When I a, in the car and use my Bluetooth to call someone, I never hear the phone ringing before they answer. I just hear them pick up. Started happening on my 5 when I updated to iOS 8 and my 6 does it too. Not a big deal just an odd thing.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

And whoever it is that gets paid to read Tim Cook's email.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Family sharing seems to be messed up. Maybe because my wife hasn't updated to 8.1 yet. I tried to open an app that she had purchased, on my phone, and got an error message saying it was no longer being shared with me. I checked in settings and she is still listed as part of the family. Weird.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I keep seeing that Renasant bank supports ApplePay now but my card won't work :(

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

So at two different places now I've tried to use Apple pay and did the touchID and it says Done but the transaction didn't work. It was like nothing else happened. Did I pull my phone away too quickly or something? One was at PetCo and the other at McDonalds.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

It said "done" on the phone screen before I pulled it away.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Has something changed with Siri recently? I've noticed some names and things are being pronounced differently in let's say the past 2-3 weeks. Haven't updated anything in that time.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

For some reason my Exchange calendars are off by several hours on my iPad vs my iPhone. Time zone override is off and all of my date and time settings are correct on both devices, however the iPad shows reminders about 14 hours earlier than the actual due dates in the account. Everything is fine on my laptop, web access and my phone. Happens in the stock reminder app and in Fantastical. Is there a setting somewhere I could be missing?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

So what's the story on this "hack" floating around that supposedly lets you dual boot Android now?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

The dual boot thing popped up yesterday but you guys are probably right, I got suckered. Carry on

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I'm going to install the beta on my iPad but not my phone. I can deal with bugs on my iPad.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

There is a discount type store called Five Below that sells glass screen protectors for $5. I've had one on my phone for quite a while and it seems fine.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Is that new Wifi assist setting not active yet? I don't seem to have it on my AT&T 6 on 9.0

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

The "deep search" doesn't seem to work for me. Everything is turned on for all apps under spotlight search and I've been on 9 since the GM came out. I just updated to 9.0.1 and it still doesn't work. I've rebooted and also gone down the list turning search results off and back on for all apps. Any ideas what else I could try?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I picked up the Apple Smart Battery Case and so far I really like it. I had the Mophie Juice Pack 120 before (well, still have it) and it was just too bulky. The apple one is relatively thin for a battery case. I like that it uses a lightning cable to charge and its thin at the bottom so it fits in my dock.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Evidently "hey Siri" does not work when charging from the Apple smart battery case, which is kind of annoying

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I am so frustrated with the App Store today. I had an app that was stuck "updating" and showed no progress on the update so I figured I would delete it and just download it fresh. Well now I don't have the option to do that. The app is not on my phone but on the App Store it still shows the empty progress circle with the stop button in the middle of it. I can press that to stop it but it just dims the circle with nothing else. I've tried force quitting the App Store app, restarting several times, signing in and out of my Apple ID on the App Store and iTunes settings page. I guess when I get home I will plug up to my laptop and copy it over that way. This seems to happen more and more lately. You'd think Apple would be able to get THAT right.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I found some no name Bluetooth headphones that look just like EarPods. I actually like the fit and they sound pretty decent for the $12 I spent

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I have 2 Apple IDs because of iCloud fuckery. All of my iTunes purchases are on my pre-iCloud one, so none of it is available for family sharing. Can I just add my second ID to the family to make that work?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Yup that'll work. Just add the old one under the family sharing.

Actually it didn't work, when I tried to sign in to accept it, it says that name is already in use within the family.

That email is an alias under my iCloud account but the purchases under it don't show up... makes me want to bang my head

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

e.pilot posted:

That was a poor attempt at a joke apparently, I am well aware of the headphone jack issue on the original phone.

Remove it as an alias, I'm surprised it let you add it as an alias if it's already associated with an Apple ID.

You still need to be able to access your old account login and password to add it to family sharing.

I logged in to both Apple ID's on appleid.apple.com and removed the other account's email from the "Reachable at" section and saved. What I am trying to do to accept the family invitation is to create a new user on my Macbook with the secondary Apple ID as its login, and every time I try to do this I get an error message that says "This Apple ID is already in use by another user."

I am sure there is an easier way to do this but I can't figure out how.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

What is the best way to extract a broken headphone cord tip from a 6s? My godmother just got a brand new phone and her niece broke a cheap aux cord off in it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

We ended up grinding down some needle nose pliers to a very fine tip and my dad was able to slowly work the piece of the plug out.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I dunno, maybe I'm a SHEEP or something but I don't care if Google knows what I buy.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I keep having issues with Siri. She will recognize what I say but then can't act on it- for example if I try to make a call, it will show on the screen what I said and after a few seconds she will say "Uh oh, I couldn't make your call."

Anyone run in to this before?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I'm so glad I am not the only one with the 3D red text thing.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Am I the only person who mentally calls it "Done hosed Up" mode, in a Ron White style accent?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Maybe the update will fix Siri. Any Siri activity that requires interaction with an app (calls, texting, timers etc) works 1 time after a reboot and then just results in an Uh Oh message. I found a thread on Apple Support about it but no one seems to have a solution. I kind of wonder if it is something to do with how Apple turned off Hey Siri on the 6 with the battery case- because I think that is about when it started.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I don't think it's a widespread problem. Have you considered that you have mishandled your phone and that is why you and a subset of people are having issues?

I have never dropped my phone, and I can't imagine that I have mishandled something in the software that would miraculously cause Siri to be unable to connect to other apps. There were quite a few people posting with the same issue about it on the Apple Support Threads that I found. I have already restored from an iCloud backup and reset all network settings etc.

Edited to be less snarky

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Got home from my work trip and restored my phone, setting it up as a new iPhone, and that seems to have fixed whatever the hell was wrong with Siri.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I drove a 900 mile trip back in September using my phone for navigation with it on a magnetic mount and I didn't get lost or die.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Siri has started intermittently not working again on my phone, which I set up as a new phone a few weeks ago. Tonight I noticed it was doing the same thing on my wife's phone. The issue occurs either on wifi or on the cell phone network so I don't know wtf. Just posting here for anecdotal information I guess.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

The 9.3 public beta seems to have fixed my Siri problems.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Anybody here using the Peel case? It seems to get good reviews online and is just about invisible.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Iphone SE has a pentium 4.

Rubiks Pubes liked this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I bought the Peel case thinking it would be super thin and also make the phone less slippery. Unfortunately it did not make the phone less slippery. So now I am back to my apple battery case.