Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

bobfather posted:

My gut tells me that the iPhone 7 will have some significant design changes to it, as well.

You're a real Nostradamus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there a lot of non-game apps that red-line current gen CPU/GPUs?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

shrike82 posted:

Are there a lot of game apps that red-line current gen CPU/GPUs?

Fixed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The iPhone 7's camera bump will be bigger, pissing people off even more.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The iPhone 7's camera bump will be bigger, pissing people off even more.

It will be a hump a la the Droid X.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot prediction: Scott Forstall will be back for iOS10 and Skeumorphic 2.0 will be a big hit with the masses.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
When do we think they're actually gonna change the look again? I really hate how the dock is a solid smear of color, it ruins 90% of wallpapers.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Regarding SE vs 6s specs:

SE is lacking 3D touch, and falls short in a few battery benchmark scenarios (although it exceeds the 6s in others, mostly screen-related).

Is that really it? Anything I'm missing?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SE has the first-gen Touch ID part, which isn't as fast/accurate as what is in the 6 and 6S. Also the front-facing camera is 5S-era as well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

SE has the first-gen Touch ID part, which isn't as fast/accurate as what is in the 6 and 6S. Also the front-facing camera is 5S-era as well.

Is that actually the reason why TouchID is so fast on the 6S? I'm genuinely curious because I would have guessed the upgraded CPU plays a part in that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, that's a pisser because the newer touch id is gloriously quick.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Is that actually the reason why TouchID is so fast on the 6S? I'm genuinely curious because I would have guessed the upgraded CPU plays a part in that.
Yes, it's the sensor.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does it really? poo poo, that's actually a selling point to me. I'd rather have Touch ID be 0.23 seconds slower than having to (a) use the side power button or (b) use a non-registered finger when I just want lock screen access. Also would be nice to do away with the soft lockout for doing (b) too many times in succession.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doesn't the 6 have the first-gen part? I thought it was only upgraded on the 6S.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ah that's good to know, thanks. Still makes for an impressively small list! It will probably work in my favor that I'm coming from a 5c and have no experience with Touch ID anyhow. Cool.

EDIT: And I'd imagine a 5s sensor with a 6s CPU will still be a net improved experience, no? Not flagship level but still a better feel than 5s Touch ID overall.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 23, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Doesn't the 6 have the first-gen part? I thought it was only upgraded on the 6S.

Yep

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Couldn't remember when they updated it. Either way: SE is first-gen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

EDIT: And I'd imagine a 5s sensor with a 6s CPU will still be a net improved experience, no? Not flagship level but still a better feel than 5s Touch ID overall.
I doubt it. The CPU isn't really involved with TouchID beyond getting a yes or no from the sensor package.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I'm okay with this because I'll be upgrading from a 6. All the other advantages of the 4" screen and form factor are a major plus.

Is it confirmed that all iPhone 5/5S cases fit the SE properly? That's a great thing, if so.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Killer Queen posted:

I'm okay with this because I'll be upgrading from a 6. All the other advantages of the 4" screen and form factor are a major plus.

Is it confirmed that all iPhone 5/5S cases fit the SE properly? That's a great thing, if so.
No blanket confirmation as far as I know, but a lot of accessory descriptions on Apple's site have been updated to say "5/5s/SE".

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So until recently my mother was using a super old basic android phone off contract from AT&T. I had a contract with a local place before I moved, they didn't have coverage in the cities, so she took over that line and then AT&T bought them like a month later anyway.

But anyway, her phone broke recently, and I was on a shared plan with my ex-room mate and two friends of his who hadn't paid their bill in something like 3 months. So I convinced my mom to get off of that AT&T thing and onto a contract with me I've finally drug her kicking and screaming into the 21st century by giving her my old, already paid off iPhone 6, and for the new line on this new contract I got a 6s Plus for myself. When the 7 comes out in the fall I'll be giving her the 6s, getting a 7, and my dad will get the 6.

The 6s seems really fuckin' cool is all I really have to say here. I like 3D touch a lot more than I thought I would.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I've never done the :f5: thing for an iPhone. The SE is supposed to be available for preorder on the 24th - does that mean at midnight PST? Or is it just some random time tomorrow? And what is the best method of doing it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I still need to know if the SE will have the Good Chip.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Iphone SE has a pentium 4.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

cowofwar posted:

Rubiks Pubes liked this post

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I dunno if it means anything for the SE's SoC, but I remember reading (maybe a rumor? Who knows) that Samsung is out for the iPhone 7, which will have 100% TSMC chips. And yes I know you're just being a silly goose :shobon:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Ah, good old Pentium 4th degree burns. I rather severe solution to the "my iPhone gets too cold" problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Willamette or Northwood? It makes a big difference.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Josh Lyman posted:

The good chip so the overclocker which was the northwood right

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Josh Lyman posted:

Prescott.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ooooo, hyper threading!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

anyone ordering an se through t-mobile please wait until i get mine tia

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se

Does anyone know if I'll be able to order the A1723 at full price on the Apple Store tonight? Or will only the A1662 be available for unsubsidized/not-leased purchase?

edit: Looks like normally you can, but you can't do it with a Sprint SERO/EPRP account, as it's "not supported".

td4guy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 24, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

lelandjs posted:

I'm guessing that if they continue with the SE line it'll release in the spring every year. Most Android manufacturers do two phone releases every year. Apple would actually be following Samsung's pattern--release a large flagship with new features/processor/etc in the fall, then release a smaller version of the flagship the following spring.

Personally, I'm betting it'll follow the Mac mini style of updates - infrequent but just enough to stay relevant for however long it's in the market, which would explain why it has 6s-level parts. The A9 seems like it's sufficiently good enough to last comfortably until A11.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

enojy posted:

I dunno if it means anything for the SE's SoC, but I remember reading (maybe a rumor? Who knows) that Samsung is out for the iPhone 7, which will have 100% TSMC chips. And yes I know you're just being a silly goose :shobon:

Yeah, I read this too. #TSMCMasterRace in my iPhone 6S+ :smug:

Get the "Lirum Info Lite" app from the app store if you want to go down the rabbit hole and check yo chip.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just ordered my first new iPhone since the 3G release day. This is exciting!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I have been trying to figure out for several hours now to make it so I can get certain calls from certain people.

I have done every guide I can find online to no avail.

Apparently you can only create groups on icloud.com for whatever reason. So I created a group called "URGENT" and put certain people in it. I also put my roommate's phone number in it for testing.

I put the phone in Do Not Disturb mode and I try from my roommate's phone and it's silent. I don't know why. Her phone is in my "URGENT" group, and I have Do Not Disturb set to only allow calls to ring from those marked URGENT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can assure you that I've been messing around with this for 5 hours now and am getting nowhere. Thank you!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
IPhone 7 will have a hardware keyboard.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Chikimiki posted:

IPhone 7 will have a hardware keyboard.

We can only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I would love an iPhone 7 in three sizes. 4 inch, 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch. Maybe add some screen real estate if Apple finally figures out how to slim down those drat bezels.