Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My 6 has a weird discolored spot on the screen in a line where I typically swipe to scroll web pages. It doesn't bother me much but I've never had one do that before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

My iPhone 6 seems to make a very quiet buzzing noise when I scroll or make long touches to the screen. The screen has a dark spot/line that is about 1/3 of the length of the screen so I think something is obviously wrong with it. The buzzing is new though. I also have the off center front camera. I am out of warranty so I assume it is pretty unlikely to get this fixed by Apple?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

How much more difficult is the battery replacement on the 6 than the 5?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you're not gonna be doing it yourself

I just did it and it really wasn't bad other than all of the microscopic screws.

Still have a bit of a dark spot on the screen but it is not nearly as pronounced as it was so hopefully that will dissipate.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I deleted a bunch of un-needed photos from Photos on my Mac recently - about 9,000 of them. Now every time I plug my phone in it shows that there are 9.000ish photos available to import, so evidently those photos are still living on my phone somewhere. They don't show up in Recently Deleted, though. Is there any way to fix that?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I decided to try out "Mojo Installer" which is a jailbreak alternative, to install an emulator so I could play some old games. It is installed using the "date trick" to set up the app through an expired certificate. I think it hosed something on my phone though- my phone is HOT all the time and Omnistat shows both processors pegged at 100%. I removed the profiles that I set up for Mojo and removed its app and this continued. I did a backup and restore and it still seems to be doing the same thing. Would my next bet be to just set up as a new phone? Im going to give it a day to see if it stops. I have been in an area with lovely cell coverage and lovely wifi so maybe that was part of it?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I might, I usually just backup to iCloud. It wasn't an actual jailbreak though, just an app install.

It seems to be OK this morning- looks like Photos was uploading some photos to iCloud which I guess was the issue.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

For some reason Siri has decided that I am both my own mom and dad. I've deleted the relationships from their contacts and recreated them, but if I say "call my dad" it asks which phone number for my name to call.

Weird

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

Are you synchronizing your contacts with anything? I remember (years ago) having trouble keeping relationship data correct when I synchronized my contacts with Gmail.

Only iCloud.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I have about 18,000 photos that are stored locally on my phone that I would like to wipe out. I have turned off iCloud photo library and Photo Stream, and the photos are still on my phone. I have tried going through and selecting them to delete them but they will not delete - the delete dialog box pops up and I confirm to delete them, but they don't actually delete.

Any ideas wtf I should do? This is taking up a large amount of space on my phone and I think it's due to an iCloud glitch.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have a Mac? Connect the phone, load Imagr Capture, select all the images, and hit delete. Might be able to do something the phone isn't able to by itself.

The delete button goes away when I click on any of the photos in Image Capture.

They show up in Photos on the Mac as if I can import them, so I am doing that and clicked to delete them after the import. We'll see if that does the trick.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Do any brick and mortar stores sell Anker cables? Best Buy has some of their chargers but not the lightning cables.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

While we are on the subject of the upgrade plan, I am NOT on it but want to be. Is there a way to do that with preordering the phone whenever they go on sale or am I gonna have to wait till they can be found in stores?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

When I ordered and signed up for the upgrade program it didn't say anything about trading my phone in. So I guess I am free to sell it once my 7+ comes in.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that's not how it works.

So are you saying I'm right or I'm wrong?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Weedle posted:

If you don't trade your old phone back in you'll have to pay off the remainder of the cost (at least 12 payments).

I am a new enrollment in the program.

Edit: just saw the other post saying there was no requirement to trade in if you newly signed up. So yep this 6 will go on Craigslist or SA mart once my new phone comes in

Rubiks Pubes fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 9, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Voicemail transcription on at&t doesn't seem to be working on my 6. Is this a 6s thing?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I have a bunch of 6/6s cases that I won't need anymore. Was wondering if there was any interest, if so I will post a sale thread. I have an Apple hump case, a Mophine Juice Pack 120, a black Apple leather case, a red Apple leather case, a black Lifeproof and some other random ones.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Hit me with that apple hump.

You don't seem to have PMs. Got an email I can send pics to?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

It kind of makes me mad that they are showing up in stores with unfulfilled preorders out there. What's the point in preordering in that situation?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Well you guys convinced me and I bought a saddle brown case for my 7+. Phone hasn't shipped yet but with my kid being delivered Monday I figured I wouldn't get out to the Apple Store any time soon. Man that is some nice looking leather. It really looks like it is a different leather from the other cases.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Raise to wake is 6s, se and 7 only

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Is there a way to "reset" Siri? First it thought I was my own mother, and now it can't remember who I am despite my contact information being selected in the app and me telling it repeatedly who I am.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Is there any way to get rid of the red dot on the Watch app for 3.1.1 which was downloaded but not installed? Since apple pulled the update it won't install on my watch and I'm spergy about my red dots

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

IllegallySober posted:

Are there any comparable iPhone docks that fit a 6+ with the Apple leather case that are cheaper than the $40 Apple dock, or should I just bite the bullet and buy the official one?

I got a knockoff one on Amazon that is pretty much identical to the apple dock for like $13

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Are there any good VR apps for the iPhone?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I just switched cable providers and I can't figure out how to log out of the old one and sign in on the new one in the new TV app. Or do I still have to do it in every app individually? We are on directv now so we should be able to do single sign on.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

He means the button on the actual flashlight icon moves to the on or off position when the light is on or off. Like the icon changes.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I bought some Solo3's in flat black at Best Buy on Saturday and with Amazon price match they were $159 plus tax. They sound better than my old Studio wired Beats and the W1 features are cool.

I also have some Powerbeats 2 that I got at an overstock store for $50 which I like quite a bit. I am neither a gangsta or thug.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Beats x seem like the better option (including sound), but the power beats 3 have the ear hooks

Anyone have any issue with the beats x falling out at all? At the gym? When running? A review I saw said they seal better in your ear than the PB3 and block more ambient noise.

The PB3 are $150 normally in black, other colors are $200. Black is $130, and the others I think are $160. The x are $150 normally in any color and $120. Still not sure if this is a sale or just new price. The x using a lighting cable to charge is pretty dope

so yeah prob just gonna get those thanks for reading

I actually have problems with my PowerBeats falling out but I have learned that I have weird shaped ears.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol do the airpods/iphone 7 headphones fit in your ears? Because man those things are atrocious in mine. You have to crank volume to hear poo poo, doesn't stay in, plastic puts pressure on certain spots

No, very few earbuds work in my ears and stay in.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Updated to the new iOS last night and my alarm didn't go off this morning. Seems like that should be a bug that Apple had licked by now since it has happened in several updates.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I was really hoping for standalone CarPlay when they started talking about it. I.e. The phone just turns in to CarPlay mode when I am in the car. But the do not disturb thing works pretty well as a concept

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I am debating getting AirPods. I have some Powerbeats 2 and the cord pulls them out of my ears all the time. Talk me in to or out of making the change.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

All my other stuff is Apple. Phone, laptop, watch, Apple TV, iPad.

Wearing it with cord behind my neck. Have tried it in front too with same problems.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

[quote="“MarcusSA”" post="“475069088”"]
That’s the question I have. The clips keep them on my ears and I’ve never had them come even close to falling out.

:confused:
[/quote]

I have glasses so maybe that’s the problem? I have to tuck the clip under my glasses to get them to even go in my ears.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I went ahead and ordered the AirPods. Is the fit exactly the same as the EarPods? I had an old pair that I cut the cords off of and walked around for a while with them in and they were fine.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've owned a lot of iPhones and dropped a lot of iPhones but today I dropped mine in just the right way for the screen to crack. I guess it's time to finally find out how much it costs to repair...

Edit: as a teacher I'm always amazed how many of my students have cracked smartphone screens. Some of them are smashed so bad I don't know how the touchscreen functions or how they read it and I wonder how it got that way. If dropping mine directly on its corner causes a minor crack, what the hell did they do? Throw it at the ground as hard as they could? Smash it with a rock like a caveman?

My younger brother broke his multiple times by being a dumb emotional teen and throwing it at the wall/ground and/or being drunk and dropping it off high places or down stairs. Every time he got a new phone we would place bets how long it would last before his screen broke. My dad enabled it by continuing to pay for new screens or new phones.

I did break my old Palm Treo by throwing it but it was the antenna that broke. I have never broken a glass screen on a phone and accept that by saying this I will likely break my screen within the hour.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Echoing all the praise for AirPods. Mine came in today and I love them already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I feel like all of the constant rumors, leaks, and speculation have almost completely killed my interest in the iPhone 8. I'm sick of hearing about it at this point. I have a 7+ now and I'm on the upgrade program so I'm sure I will end up getting one anyway because new shiny, but I'm more ready for everyone to just shut up about it.