Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ehhh dragging from the left edge is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hands Colon posted:

(btw can y'all stop saying "Fruit Stand" because you sound like loving morons)

Agreed.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
16gb extra storage on the base model would be a few dollars for Apple. You can go ahead and say "they're not running a charity :smug:" but the fact is that the base model is really limiting unless you do everything on the cloud and janitor your phone. It's just plain dumb and if I upgrade I'm definitely swinging the extra for 64gb.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You are consistently the worst poster in Apple threads. I wonder what that's about.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone who thinks an iPhone coming with 16GB that you don't have to buy is "the single-most disappointing aspect of the new phone" probably cries when they cut slices of Velveeta.

Apple should not be putting out a crippled product. Period. "You don't have to buy it" is the most non-excuse excuse imaginable.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People having to janitor their 16gb phones is pretty common. Pushing the upper limits of your storage even when you keep all your media in clouds and don't install many big apps is standard at that size. Especially when iPhones aren't that good about keeping the camera roll with Photo Stream enabled and the iTunes Match cache slim by themselves. Honestly, I'm as big of an Apple fan as anyone, but it's wearying to see that it's standard practice in here to just cry "sperg" whenever people point out Apple's shortcomings.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dropping your phone is just something that happens despite human beings' best efforts. It shouldn't wreck your phone to drop it, and yet it does. Get a case. I don't have one, but I'm a hypocrite.

Anyone else having difficulty using airport utility in ios 8? Nothing happens when I enter my password.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The new photos app is a step back for the 5 at least. I want to use my iPhone to look at my photos when I browse them. I want the old thumbnail size back.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
did I miss when apple announced iMonosodium Glutamate?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bitprophet posted:

Sounds like Apple doesn't sell the CDMA versions of the 5S or the 6 unlocked/standalone (like they do for the GSM model)? Having a hard time figuring out the situation with that.

I'm pretty sure that the GSM and CDMA versions are one and the same.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is this situation worse or better than iPhone 4 antennas?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sooo has it just been the Plus that people have been bending or does the regular 6 do it too?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have used wifi sync for ages and it's always worked hth.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've had that before and it's intermittent

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If your phone hurts your hands then hold it differently or get a different one.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have an opinion on the Tech21 Impact Mesh Case? My dad's probably gonna get my old iPhone 5 soon and I want him to have something that will provide some drop protection and grip and not fall out of his pocket or something when he's mountain biking.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess it just seems like a really obvious fuckup to me. If they had done a 4-point test they would have known. Apple will be fine, but it's an embarrassment and I'm sure it will be fixed with a silent revision in 6 months or at the very worst with next year's model.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel sorry that so many people have had a poo poo experience with iTunes. It hasn't given me trouble for a very long time.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, it sucks a little that Apple is never going to provide an option to back out of a new OS for the average user. You have to restore from your iOS 7 backup. I think being locked into that, especially when it makes your phone perform badly, just fosters mistrust and frustration with Apple.

That's why I still run my backups in iTunes. I have even tried copying the backup, and saving it in a different folder, and swapping it back in to have a copy of the old version's backup. I don't even know whether it will work. They just make it so hard to prevent downgrading with the notion that it's good for progress. People need to be warned, though, that new OS versions may have problems that make their experience worse.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or a few more gigs of memory. Or some structural reinforcement.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's different. That means that anything with a stupid, bad headphone jack design won't fit. Not that only an Apple headset will fit. Put most cases on and you're in the same situation. On the other hand I'm surprised they had the space to recess that jack.

I am not sold on Bluetooth headsets. I find them more bulky and cumbersome in the end than a simple wired one. At least the ones I've tried. They need the bluetooth radio and their own power source and that's a lot of bulk relatively. I can believe they would try to make a lightning headset but hope they don't try to push Bluetooth headsets.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TIL iPhone has a lightning hole

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The tracks get matched and suddenly you're streaming the iTunes version. They don't trap people by using Match.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh, you should only have to swipe up once.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm using a 5 and am hoping to hold out for another year for a better performing giantphone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Dear Apple, please let me control apps like Spotify with Siri so I don't die in a horrible flaming wreck on the highway.

Agreed. If they can display the controls on the lock screen there's no excuse for there not being voice controls.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds to me like you probably got cursed by a gypsy woman and it's causing all software to break for you.

Last time I used Spotify their desktop app was built in Flash. gently caress that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So does that make articles like this one false?

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/kill-itunes-drm/

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very true except replace 4 with 6 plus and 6 plus with 4.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cases and screen protectors are like condoms. It's safer to use them, but feels better without them.

I have gone caseless yet again on my 5 and just grip it firmly when I take it out of my pocket or put it back in. It just feels better.

I'm probably going to use an armband when working out on my 6 and otherwise keep it caseless. Speaking of which, does anybody know a good one?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So who has proven which phones were Gorilla and which were not?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

So this is a strange, but kinda cool, bug I just experienced:

I got this once. I restarted and never saw it happen again.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Facebook app just update to support the higher res and holy balls does it make a difference.

does it still bend your battery over and buttfuck it?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Start a new itunes library and add your music to it. Then sync.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, there is a design flaw, and you bet your rear end Apple will be guarding against it in the next revision. No, you don't need to freak out over it, just don't sit on it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're going caseless you should probably be prepared for your phone's life to abruptly end on the concrete. It happens. Once to me in 3 years because I put my phone in a hoodie pocket while running down a hill. It just flew right out of the pocket. The crack didn't actually harm the viewing area of the screen much, which was lucky.

the Apple Store will replace your phone for like $300 at the worst, right?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And here I was thinking it couldn't get worse than case chat.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey Siri just started giving stupid answers? It started saying things like "a watched iPhone never boils" when setting a timer and stuff. I can really do without Siri trying to be clever.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Apollo posted:

Geesus, I hate to be an alarmist but my battery life is atrocious on my 6+ after updating to ios 8.1

You sure it's not just indexing or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How are you guys liking the apple leather case for iphone 6?