Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Parker Lewis posted:

c) make 32gb the bare minimum for devices sold in tyool 2015

This is the solution. It just doesn't make apple as much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

Generally, you can control media playback from mission control (slide from bottom) even if the controls aren't visible directly on the lock screen.

Mission control is not in iOS but this is the correct answer.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dad didn't set up Find my iPhone and he lost his phone. Can he get Verizon or Apple to tell him where it is?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dad isn't like that. His phone just prompted him to install it at one point and he did. He never opened the app to turn it on because he didn't realize there was anything more that needed to be done.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The phone isn't listed in Find My iPhone on the iCloud website. His Mac is.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Mac lets me type in reminders "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM" and it creates the reminder called "Take the garbage out" with an alert time of next Wednesday at 8PM. Beautiful. My iPhone creates a reminder called "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM." I have to click the little (i) and use the date picker to set an alert. Or use Siri I guess. But it still disappoints me.

There's your miniscule Apple gripe of the day.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with DIY battery replacements on iPhone 5? Where can I get a reliable battery to put in it?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't qualify, unfortunately. I would be more willing to consider Apple's price if I didn't have to mail it in and not have it for that time. They're too far away to do it conveniently and the AASP in town wants to send the phone to another depot to do the job, which is frankly retarded. There is a guy in town who replaces phone batteries but the vibe I got off him was really sketch.

There are replacement batteries being sold with 3 month warranties for around $15. They all seem to have a few bad reviews--people getting sent duds--and a 4 star or so average.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bullshit it's the wifi. Some of these units just have defects in the wireless networking hardware.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, you have to use your passcode to unlock if your hands or the sensor are dirty or wet.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got the ifixit battery replacement kit and managed to crack the screen on my iphone 5 opening it. Ooooops. I'm figuring out whether to buy a new front display, camera and home button assembly or to just sell what's left for parts. Now I'm definitely worse off than if I had bitten the bullet and mailed it to Apple. Oh well.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I shattered it pretty badly just by pulling on it the wrong way with the suction cup. I'm trying to sell it for parts and maybe pick up a 5s to replace it. Probably gonna leave battery swaps to the pros after this experience.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that my iPhone remember indefinitely the last thing I was listening to. It's really annoying to have to reach into the Podcast app and start it up again if I'm trying to start driving.

Also, the music app refusing to list artist albums without listing the songs after iOS 6 is killing me. I swear it used to be context sensitive so if you had a couple albums it would lay all the songs out on that artist view. Now it doesn't care if you have dozens of albums by the artist, you get to scroll through every last song.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your phone is not a backup.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iMessage it to yourself.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if your 5 is smoother than your 6, something is wrong with your 6.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Plug it into a computer that the phone trusts (previously plugged in and entered passcode) and you should be able to take a backup or browse the contents of it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're absolutely determined there are robots you can hook it up to to brute force it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have been using your iPhone for a few years the battery has almost certainly lost a lot of capacity. If you're not happy with the battery life try getting a new battery put in. My iPhone 5 had its capacity probably doubled by putting a new one in after over 2 years of use.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's merit to not updating, if your phone is more than 2 years old.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

This only really applies to major updates. Point updates are, at worst, no better, and pretty commonly improve performance, even on older devices.

This is really true, and it made me feel sorry for my friend who just didn't bother to update his 4s to 7.1 before 8.0 came out.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

How in the world do people think upgrading an iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and an iPhone 6 from 8.0 to 8.3 is the same thing?

And for two people who have traditionally used individual iTunes accounts, Family Sharing is really good. It gets a lot of poo poo for some reason, but I set it up for my wife and I last year and it has always worked great. Plus I get to see when she buys something ridiculous like Candy Crush gold.

It's not most people's job to know the nuances of which updates might wreck performance or not

It's obvious that a phone you bought this year should continue to work great with updates, but I'm sure there a lot of people that all they know is "once I updated my old iPhone and then it was slow unusable poo poo forever, so i'm not gonna install updates any more" and I don't really blame them for that.

Education is the answer.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly if you're not gonna acknowledge how lovely ios 7 runs on the 4 or how lovely ios 6 runs on the 3gs you're just out of your head. I can concede that it's gotten better for "less old" phones.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

This app https://appsto.re/us/rrwOA.i should let you create and email yourself a CSV file of all your contacts. Import that into a cloud based service your new Windows phone can use like a Live account and there you go.

God drat I can believe this works but GLOBILE BILISIM BILGISAYAR HIZMETLERI ILETISIM DANISMANLIK SANAYI TICARET LIMITED SIRKETI just screams "legitimacy" to me

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am really hoping that they will one day add the ambitious feature to remember the last thing you were playing indefinitely and the next time you go to play something, play that thing.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Keep making noise about that lovely store experience to Apple. Email tcook@apple.com if you still can't get satisfaction. Not kidding.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to believe that it's legal for a repair shop to charge you for damage you didn't cause.

withak posted:

Is there any way to tell Siri to pick an album at random and play it start to finish? She seems to only know how to shuffle songs.

"Play album (name of album)"?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's probably downloading the apps from the tim cloud. how long has it been this way

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My iPhone flew out of my pocket onto the asphalt while I was running yesterday. It just left a little nick in my case.

I used to run with my iPhone 4 and an event just like that was the end of it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has your friend used the iMessage deregistration tool?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My iPhone has a lovely behavior that I'm pretty sure earlier versions of the OS didn't have.

I used to be able to pull up from the bottom with no music in memory, press play, and it would start a shuffle playlist. Now all it does is its dinky "you touched me!" animation when nothing's in memory to play.

I have to go home, go to Music, and press play on my recently played song which the music app had cached somewhere I guess.

That's dumb. That's all.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, sometimes that function still works for me but most of the time it doesn't, I guess it has something to do with the app being in memory or not.

I thought it would be an easy workaround to start shuffling all songs, since the stupid new music app doesn't have a simple way to do it. I remember someone mentioning that in iOS 9 betas they had added that back in, I hope so.

On the upside, they made it so choosing an artist shows you albums by that artist instead of songs grouped by album. Nice for when you have dozens of albums by a single artist, and I missed it since iOS 6.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a stupid question, especially if a tech has already looked at your phone, but have you tried picking out any lint that might be clogged in there with a toothpick?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's .ipa you philistines

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone could get so much personal information off your phone if they stole it. You should use a passcode.

The only people I know who don't use Touch ID are so paranoid about security that they don't want their fingerprint lifted and used to unlock their phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what version of iOS comes installed when you get a refurbished iPhone 6s from Apple?