Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Recent transaction in passbook was able to show me a transaction I made on my Amex without Apple Pay (from earlier today before I added the card). That's pretty cool.

My Amex does the same thing. I hit the info icon and it shows a whole bunch of recent transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bleh Maestro posted:

My chase card activated for apple pay just fine, and it gave 3 different options to verify.

However, I also tried to add my AmEx, and it gives only one option to verify: call AmEx. I called them and they pretty much were clueless and they transferred me to customer service. I was on hold too long, so I hung up but has anyone else gone through it? How does this work?

I had to call. I was the girl's first apple pay verification, and it took a while. Got put on hold a couple of times, had to answer a bunch verification questions. She knew exactly what I was calling about when I called but didn't seem too clear on what she had to do. And their system seemed to be slow doing whatever it was supposed to do. Still, probably only a 7 minute call or so.

edit: Yeah it shows all my amex transaction but my capital one card has what the poster above said about only showing apple pay transactions.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

I didn't have to do anything to activate my cards. They were just added. :iiam:

That's how my capital one went. didn't have to do anything to verify.

i see apple has a list of places you can use apple pay. But I know I've been to some not on the list that have nfc. Will apple pay work there? Seems like it should.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, I've had the white silicone case since launch day, and it still appears as white as ever. No denim staining or dirt or oil. I'm really surprised. I don't know what they did to make it last the way it has, but I'm impressed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Huh. Does getting SMS through your Mac delay seeing them on your phone? I just had a multi message conversation with someone and I kept getting alerted on my MBP, but not my iPhone (which was fine, because I was replying via my Mac) but I ignored the last message when it came through and my phone didn't alert me about it until ~10 seconds after my mac did.

If it's anything like how imessage works on both, it seems to send them quietly to your phone if you're actively using message (or have been in the past few minutes). If it sends it your computer and you don't respond/look at it, then after a couple minutes you get an alert on your phone. It's a pretty sophisticated system to avoid getting multiple alerts at the same time on all your devices.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, I'm confused by this too. Several people have reported Apple Pay working on "all" NFC enabled payment devices, so I'm not sure what "Apple Pay Certified" even means?

...and I don't understand the stores that will support it "soon" ? If they support NFC payments, then they support Apple Pay.

It probably means Apple gives them a sticker for their front door.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

I don't see that behavior. My iPad and iPhone were sitting right next to each other when I got a two-factor auth text, and both screens lit up within a few seconds of each other.

Maybe? I'm talking about messages on a mac and an idevice. No idea how two idevices would work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do you make a card your default card?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Settings > Passbook & Apple Pay

Thanks. Didn't think to check there. I expected to be able to open the info screen for a card and do it there somehow.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine has worked fine.

How are you answering the call? It's always been the case even if you're connected to bluetooth in your car, answering the phone by unlocking the handset routes the call through the handset.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Ok so I get that my ApplePay transaction info is really sparse because the lady rang me up as Debit and not Credit on my Debit card. (Still don't fully understand that limitation... but whatever)..
I can accept that I may not see details, like store name (instead it just shows the city and state.) But I think it is really crappy that it can't even loving show me the amount. What use is that? Double Dashes where the amount should be. Entirely useless.

That must be a limitation of your card provider, because for my amex card it shows all my recent transactions, dates, amounts, and merchants.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

So Apple Pay is never coming to the previous phones due to a lack of hardware to support it, c/d?

Correct. NFC needed. But paired with an apple watch you can use it on the 5.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

Oh my, wow. I'll try that for answering.

How about making a call? Same thing? Like I'm supposed to use my car's voice nav system? Because I've definitely never done that before.

Making a call should go through the car system no matter where you initiate it. Unless they changed that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's all about good lighting. The high speed stuff needs LOTS of light because of what is basically a fast shutter speed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have major wifi issues in the Twitter app and now in the ESPN fantasy football app. Safari seems unaffected for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Having the alarm turn off because I rested my thumb on the touchID sensor while I pick up my phone off the bedside table is getting really loving annoying.

Wouldn't that be the desired behavior since the alarm presumably did its job?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine doesn't work if there's any moisture on my finger, but otherwise is pretty much flawless.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh oh, CurrentC!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/29/apple-pay-competitor-currentc-hacked-alerts-pilot-program-participants-to-security-breach

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've yet to be somewhere I could use it. I keep pulling out my phone and checking the lock screen when they say it's time to pay, but nothing is ever there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The checkout terminal has to be NFC equipped. Look for something with this logo on it basically.

Yeah I always look for that and never see it but then I check my phone anyway just in case.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always walk out holding up my phone with the receipt and flashing it to anyone who glances my way just because it feels so weird to check out yourself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I just got my iPhone 6+ and love it except for one little issue:

Anybody else get the error "this accessory may not be supported"? What could be causing this?

Typically lint or something else in your lightning port. Get a toothpick and clean that poo poo out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a brand new phone.

Maybe they ship with lint now. You don't know that they don't.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried Apple paying at Best Buy and it vibrated and said successful on my phone but the reader said "Contactless payment not accepted." What the hell? Has anyone figured out what's going on when your phone said it worked but the retailer says it doesn't? I know the payment didn't actually go through I'm just wondering why.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've managed to successfully use apple pay once. As excited as I was when it was introduced, no place I go to regularly accepts it. I went out of my way just so I could try it at a Walgreens. Pretty disappointed with the whole thing so far. I hope that stupid CurrentC push hasn't boned apple pay.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DaNzA posted:

So guys how do you make sure the good money you've paid for an iPhone 6/6 plus 64GB will get you a MLC version instead of the cheap garbage that's the TLC?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1814340&page=16

Seems like some people are having problems with crashy iPhone 6/6 Plus due to TLC NAND. A lot of people are having no problem at all and then crashing a ton the next.

The funniest thing is that TLC is used only in some 64GB and all of the 128GB version. Some of the 64GB version is tested to have the old and more reliable MLC too.

Should I just keep on buy/return till I get a better MLC version instead of sticking with TLC with like 1/4 the storage lifespan?

Hahaha what now

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a pair of those for use with my 6 and have no issues with volume (its loud enough that I never run them at max volume). So I can't help you, but there doesn't seem to be a fundamental incompatibility as far as I can tell.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

I can't seem to find any solution to a very common issue I've had across several phones:

Call comes in, screen lights up, no amount of swiping across will actually answer. It doesn't even move the slider at all. Only happens every once in a while, usually when someone important is calling.

I've had that problem too. I can't figure out what triggers it, although I've determined that it apparently only happens on calls I really need to take, and no amount of frantic swiping will let me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's my white silicone case that I got on launch day. Still white as hell. I don't know what they're using to prevent it from staining but it works.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Silicone doesn't stain. Everyone else's are leather.

Everyone that had Apple's first generation cases like this had staining. Including me. Denim especially likes to stain silicone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanBandit posted:

Why are you such an insufferable little retard?

I can't figure if it's a dumb gimmick or if he is truly that socially stunted.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Orc posted:

Sometimes it just helps to know a thing or two about a girl before you try to have an awkward rear end conversation. (I've always sucked at small talk!) I'll look into this. thanks!!! :)

No.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey baby I pre-stalked you. No reason to give me your number, I already have it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Keeps saying the code in invalid. Did iTunes / Apple change their policy with Ultraviolet? I know where was something about that a few moons ago.

This most likely isn't the issue, but are you sure you're not confusing 0 with O and 1 with I or l? That happened with me one time and it took me forever to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So what's the story on this "hack" floating around that supposedly lets you dual boot Android now?

I have no idea what you're talking about unless it just came out today, on April 1.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And Best Buy will price match Amazon, so at worst they are the same price.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rexim posted:

I noticed something annoying today while I was using turn by turn navigation on Apple maps. I kept getting wifi login pages popping up, obscuring the map. Is there a way to avoid this other than turning wifi off? I'm using the iPhone 5 with whatever the latest iOS version is.

Turn off "ask to join networks " under wifi settings.

Edit: Or maybe I'm confused as to what you're getting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I noticed my Best Buy has the new terminals with the stripe reader and the chip slot, so I tried using my amex with the chip and the guy told me that part isn't active.

Of course, I had no idea that it would have required a PIN had it been working, and I don't know how I go about setting up a PIN for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Apple Music make itunes radio go away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else on the public beta getting a message that says to update the beta, but no update is available in Software Update?

edit: I see someone asked this on the last page. Common problem I guess.