Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

noirstronaut posted:

I don't know what the big deal about Apple offering the 16GB is. 16GB costs the same as it did last year, if you would've gotten the 32, you now get 64 for the same price. This has to be the worst of all first world problems.

Probably the part about that being how much it costs last year. And the year before.

If they can magically afford to move to 64gb for a $100 more then it's quite obvious they could have afforded to do 32 instead of 16.

It's a move done out of greed rather than customer focus. They make enough profit where they shouldn't have to resort to poo poo like this which will inadvertently end up turning away customers who buy the 16gb model, fill it full of poo poo and then not understand why they're having problems. And you could argue that they shouldn't be mad when someone explains to them they needed to get a bigger size and why but they will. People expect when they pay X dollars for something that it works worry free. They will also probably be informed by someone that had they used Android they could have just popped in more space as needed.

It's going to end up as an annoying Samsung or Microsoft commercial. They understand how loving dumb people are.

Don't make phones that shoot 240fps 1080p video and whatever huge MP option they're at today and never increase the capacity to store it on the phone.

The change impacts me positively because I've bought 64GB since the 4S and now it will be cheaper but I'm not goony enough to think most people know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The Dave posted:

It's pretty drat goony though when you try to become Apple's business analyst.

Trying to explain why it's dumb to people who "don't understand" it's not as if gave the explanation unprompted.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ijyt posted:

So the only thing that NFC can be used for is APay because reasons. There go my hopes of using it as an emergency Oyster card.

Has it even been confirmed anywhere other than the US or is it another iTunes Radio where you can't use it if you're holding it wrong in the wrong country.

Apple confirmed it the day of the announcement

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

prom candy posted:

So if I didn't pre-order and I didn't line up, about how long is it going to be until I can walk into an Apple store and walk out with an iPhone 6 of my choosing?

Not a six plus? What town are you in? I would try today. I've always walked in mid day on launch day after the dust settled and got the phone I wanted.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
iCloud backup is great when it works. And it's definitely not working right now.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Love the iOS 8 enhancements to selecting contacts for a message

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

serebralassazin posted:

It's not officially out yet. It's kind of crap shoot if it works or not currently. I had it working when the iOS 8 GM came out but then it stopped. Supposed to officially go live next month in an update most likely around when Yosemite drops.

It's not really a crapshoot anymore. It specifically lists as being disabled in the latest releases.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

LoboLoboLobo posted:

Is anyone else having trouble getting their photos downloaded from iCloud? It's been restoring my backup from my 5S ever since I got it yesterday morning.

Not me (because I couldn't get iCloud restore to work at all) but my friend was barely getting anything (contacts or photos) from iCloud and ended up using iTunes restore as well.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Anyone having issues with the top notifications not going away and you can't push them up? They go away if I table tap the home button and it takes me to the wheel thing where you can quick change to recent apps/contacts. It's not constant either and I haven't really noticed a pattern. On an iPhone 6 if it matters

Yes but it's an iOS 8 thing. Happened on my 5S now and then. I sort of wish there was a way to purposely activate that. For example, when you get one of those text verification codes.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I actually had my iPhone 5S once alert me that it was too hot and was going to shut down. I can't imagine why they would remove that from the six. Likely it was a defective phone.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Genewiz posted:

He hasn't answered any of my iMSGs after telling me his 6 died.

Can't imagine why that would be.

edit: big on can't imagines today.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mu Zeta posted:

The alternative is to use a waist band and get sweat all over it. And I mean in terms of just practical size I don't think the 6 plus will work well in an arm band.

I wear shorts with pockets. I tried an armband one time and couldn't bring myself to do it again.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

davestones posted:

Regarding family sharing. Does it work 'both ways'? My wife and I both have separate music etc purchases, if I made my phone the master device would I be able to access her previous purchases or would they remain hers and only hers forever?

It goes both ways. I can now download all my wife's lovely music.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

agentq posted:

Got the wife the iPhone 6 while on vacation this weekend. We set it up as a new phone since we were gone. Her old phone is a 16gb 4S. The thing is so full she can't take another picture without deleting an old one first. I can't back it up via computer because it says the phone disconnected during the backup process. I can't drag the photos off the phone without it disconnecting either. I did back it up to iCloud.

How do I get the pictures from the old phone to the new one?

She can't backup to iCloud?

Edit: too early in the morning. Backing up to iCloud is all you needed

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dewgy posted:

"Make iOS do something that it literally is designed to not do, officially. YOU HAVE ONE HOUR."

Re-release iOS 8.0.0 as 8.0.2. Done.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

A tomato posted:

Acting like push email isn't a 100% vital out-of-box feature for basically anyone with a real professional job is weird. Mailbox looks really slick and I bet the user experience is great. I'm not giving Dropbox (or any other company) unfettered access to my email account and the contents of my email.

Hi I'm a real professional and set my email to poll once an hour because as an actual professional I don't need to instantly respond to some chucklefucks questions. They can wait a whole 1-60 minutes. By professional I wonder if you think that was interchangeable with sysadmin or something.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
My Garmin Vivofit supports HealthKit. Makes sense since their app is loving garbage and they've always made software that was garbage. Not that HealthKit is all that great in its first iteration in terms of looking at detailed history but it does set up companies to have to do very little development in the future.

Vivofit is $130 and claims to have a year of battery before needing to be recharged. I've gone about six months of that year. I don't wear it to sleep because I find it to be too bulky. I used to sleep with my Jawbone UP all the time but so much so that I forgot to turn it on 80% of most nights after a few weeks.

edit: I stopped using UP because even though they "fixed" it from version 1 I still went through 4 of them under warranty and honestly I just didn't feel like sending it back in a 5th time even though it was still within the year.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 8, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

AlternateAccount posted:

Hm, so how do you download songs to the local device with iTunes Match in 8? It will stream just fine, but the little cloud icon with the arrow is no longer visible...

edit: derp, nm, had to be on wifi.

You don't have to be on wifi. That's a setting.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

https://bugreport.apple.com

Or alternatively:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

if you're too lazy to register your Apple ID as a developer for free.

Filing bugs with Apple is an annoying and frustrating process. I always use bugreport but I can see why someone even as a registered developer wouldn't.

The most annoying thing is when your bug is a duplicate and then you never get to see if the duplicate got resolved or not.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

iMessage takes like no battery at all from what I've seen. Also if you didn't have that ridiculous screen protector on you would have zero dust on your screen.

Just because you have no one to talk to doesn't mean you're right.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah it was an insanely wispy burn considering he must love staring at his home screen as well. Also a compete non sequitur regarding the actual subject at hand.

That or, perhaps, just maybe, it's my notifications waking up the screen when I receive messages or emails?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Feenix posted:

I hope 8.1 hits early enough that I can go get a healthy lunch at Whole Foods Mcdonalds tomorrow.

At worst you'll be able to do it for dinner. Let's just wait for the news report to talk about McDonald's huge boost in business thanks to iPhone.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

spunkshui posted:

Just got some groceries and saw a terminal that supported apple pay. Used a credit card on my phone and she asked for my ID and the card on the screen.

Idk what she was looking for, but its mostly blank. I had to go find the app, then she wanted the real card.

I ended up handing her the wrong card. She was then satisfied.

:allears:

If it really supported Apple pay my answer would have been "no"

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I can't understand how someone would go to CVS if there was a Walgreens equally close. Fully carpeted stores are loving gross. It's one step above carpeted bathrooms.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

EC posted:

Reposting this because its driving me crazy.

Delete your backup and let it backup as new.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

goku chewbacca posted:

It happened to me at the grocery store. I saw the Visa PayWave terminal light up blue, and when I pulled my phone out of my pocket it was already on and at the ApplePay screen asking for my fingerprint.

They would be smart to add the current total on the apple pay screen before you put your finger print down.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This might be more of a digital photography or OneDrive question, but I've got a photo that I took with a DSLR, processed in Lightroom, and saved as a jpeg :

I uploaded it to OneDrive (which is my go-to cloud storage service for media at the moment because I somehow ended up with over a TB of it.) When I view it from within the OneDrive app on my iPhone, it looks exactly like the photo above. Which is how it's supposed to look.

But when I download it and save to my camera roll, then open the camera roll to look at it, the colors are off:

I thought there might be something wrong with my iPhone screen's color balance, but the file residing on OneDrive looks fine when viewed on the phone.
What gives?

I tried to re-create the problem and could not. My first guess though is that it's related to the sRGB color profile you're using.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

xzzy posted:

Apple deserves some kind of award for shoving 12 versions of iTunes down our throat and never once stopping for a moment and asking themselves if a rewrite is appropriate.

They have rewritten the library management piece of iTunes actually.

All the iTunes hate makes me chuckle.

"iTunes uses 100MB+ of RAM!!!"
Oh sorry is this 2001? Have you looked at what Chrome uses?

For all its flaws I think iTunes is probably still the best out of the box solution there is.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have to erase all the music from my phone and re-sync all of it manually before I can add any more music to my phone :shepicide:

I've transferred computers many times and never had to do this if iTunes was properly backed up and restored.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bottom Liner posted:

This has nothing to do with the issue he's talking about.

Wrong. It does.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well then how do I do that? I've got all my music in one folder (an iTunes folder containing folders for each artist and folders within those folders for each album) that I set as the default directory every time I install iTunes. Aside from adding some new artists/albums every now and then, that doesn't change.

You need to do step 3 in my instructions.

Step1: Install iTunes
Step2: Copy over your music folder and all the iTunes junk in there
Step3: Copy over the folders in AppData > Local for Apple Computer and Apple into your new AppData > Local folder.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bottom Liner posted:

Wel I have he same exact problem and I've never moved my library from computer to computer.

Well his occurred when moving computers and didn't do it correctly. Yours happens because you're terrible at iTunes.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Michael Scott posted:

Contactless payment is dumb because everyone has to carry both their wallet and their phone with them basically no matter what, so why not just use the card. Everything you can get at Best Buy is way cheaper on Amazon . Best Buy is a total misnomer.

Best buy prices matches Amazon and both companies charge me sales tax.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And Best Buy will price match Amazon, so at worst they are the same price.

I've even had them price match third party sellers on Amazon though their policy says they don't. It was $200 off a Surface Pro 3 before there was basically a firesale on the thing. I just told them I was aware of their policy and totally understood if they didn't want to price match an amazon third party but I thought I'd ask them and see before I just bought it off the internet.

I'm sure it's different when you're buying a $1500 machine (and the cost) vs. a $50 video game but I'm glad Best Buy is starting to get their poo poo together and compete vs. fade away into nothing like Circuit City.

fake edit: I worked at Circuit City in high school and it was the most fun job I've ever had. Sad they tried to be Best Buy (at the time) and went out of business.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Michael Scott posted:

That question is asked once every couple pages in this thread but I think the consensus is Apple's device continuity with PC sucks, and saving texts is very clunky. There's some way to do it if you have a Mac though.

More than sucks. It doesn't exist. Best you can do is use something like push bullet for some janky workarounds

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Craptacular! posted:

Any reports what stability is like?

I'm wary of installing a beta due to years of Android ownership, I really like my new phone as is, but I'll go for it if I can get an ad blocker for Safari like was hyped.

For iPhone it's mostly fine now but there aren't a ton of compelling features that would be worth moving to it at this time. The split screen stuff on iPad is awesome though. That's definitely worth moving to beta for.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bvoid posted:

I'll try to sum this up succinctly, but it's the most insane issue ever and I can't figure it out. It's a long shot but here goes:

iPhone 6, Bluetooth audio produced crackles at all volumes. Nothing I did (and I did a lot) fixed it, so Apple replaced it with a new one. Loaded from an iCloud backup, and the crackles are back. I get frustrated and do a full restore, and set it up as a new phone. Crackles are gone. What the gently caress? Issue with my backup? Whatever.

Cut to a few days later, slowly adding back my apps and whatnot, and the crackles come back. Reboot doesn't fix it, network reset doesn't fix it, etc etc etc. Is it possible for an app being installed to cause an issue like this? I suppose I could restore it again and test the Bluetooth after changing anything on my phone, but that seems insane.

I'm not expecting much help, but I'm just completely baffled at this point. And I tried all the obvious and not-so-obvious things (resets, different Bluetooth devices, turning off wi-fi, testing with other people's iDevices).

How many Bluetooth devices are connected? When I have on my watch, connected to my car and a separate Bluetooth audio it crackles on me now and then and I have to turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jeherrin posted:

This is kind of hitting the root of my problem: one man's modest set of apps is another's panoply of unnecessary stuff. The interesting thing, for me, is that iOS apps seem to be much larger in size than Windows Phone apps.

Sure. That's because iPhone apps see far more updates and features than the Windows phone counter part.

You're clearly determined to keep that 16gb iPhone. It's a mistake but do what makes you happy. Doesn't matter what the steps are to replace it. If you plan on keeping it for any extended amount of time it will become annoying. Just don't come back here six months into ownership and bitch about how iOS has been deleting your songs or that your phone has 3gb of space allocated to "Other" and if you just had that room everything would be fine.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jeherrin posted:

Basically, I am an old man phone user. It's not, and never been a primary content consumption device. Calls, texting, and browsing make up the bulk of my usage. My reasons for choosing to move to iPhone are more to do with the ecosystem - my line of work almost exclusively uses Apple products, and after four years of Windows Phone I just want to be able to slot into it seamlessly for once.

(edit) Basically, I want to know how my use case expectations line up with other people's. If, based on what I want it to do, the 16GB will still not be sufficient, I'll pull the trigger. It's a non-trivial amount, though, so I just want to be sure. It's all new to me.

I have changed my mind and determined you should keep it. It's like letting your kid touch the out stove so they never do it again. Not a single person here was like "oh it's manageable" but yet you still think you're some kind of insanely rare use case for phone usage, you're not.

Just don't keep coming here to ask us how to micro manage the phone we all told you not to buy. iOS and its apps have a bad habit of treating your storage like an infinite dumping ground. Probably to Apple's benefit so people buy more expensive phones but it is what it is if you want to play in Apple's playground.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I can't decide if I love or hate the 6S+. When I'm sitting around using it all is well... but going places with it is annoying. Doesn't fit my pockets very well.. doesn't fit in the spare cup holder in my car anymore. I dunno.

side note: 3d touch is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Does anyone else experience this pretty annoying bug? I actually opened a now closed bug report about it in iOS 8 beta.

oh and just to be on the bandwagon...