Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

successfully ordered a 6 w/ 64GB via telstra.

yay for new flashy toys arriving in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Storage thing is more annoying when you remember that 8/16/32 was the norm a while ago, which then became 16/32/64, but now its 16/64/128.

My usage has never really left the base level and I have always been comfortable with that amount of storage as I keep my photos reasonably organised and only need a few albums on my phone to keep me interested. I run no games on my phone and only a handful of productivity apps, but with the OS size and the quality of pictures and video on the 4 and now the 5, 16GB started to get snug really quickly.

It was expected and makes more sense to go 32/64/128, but that didnt happen, and people got mad about it.

I mean previously the 'low cost' option was a the previous-generation model with a single storage option that was the lowest amount available across the entire range. You cant blame people for expecting 32GB to become the base these days.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Other phones also have a massive black square/circle bezel around the camera lens for no other discernible reason that "we are lazy fucks at design" so their camera bump is actually a fair bit larger than it needs to be which adds to how obvious they are.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hotsauce posted:

I realize everyone feels that Apple will gallop in on its horse and fix the nightmare that is <thing>

I don't really feel like apple is the innovation powerhouse it once was, and the iPhone 6 is a definite shift to following the market rather than leading it. I wasn't sold on wearables before the apple watch announcement, and I'm still not now.

I still enjoy their products more than any others, but yeah Tim cook is not the same as jobs when it comes to running the company and providing guidance and inspiration to their engineers and designers.

Then again I don't even know where the mobile market can go beyond where phones are today, I guess most modern features will be more software based than anything hardware wise outside if thinner/lighter/more power/longer battery life.

I don't think Steve would have launched the watch, it seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and I find it amusing that Samsung essentially beat apple to market based on a rumour of an iwatch which now apple is launching to keep up with Samsung.

Maybe when battery tech improves and it's not yet another device I have to charge every night I will see the use in it, but for now it's just the first sign that we are in the post-Steve era of apple.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why would there ever be a need for a phone to have HDMI out?

Im imagining a business exec type plonking his phone on the table, connecting to a projector to play his spreadsheets and power points awkwardly until the battery ultimately fails and he just gets out his Dell laptop anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Facebook is the only application that I dont let use location services because it wants to grab it all the loving time regardless of what you're doing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have my iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey.

it gets really warm while charging and syncing my apps.

it feels really nice to hold.

Facebook hasnt updated and it is currently scaling and looking like poo poo.

Everything else is pretty sweet.

Awful app crashes immediately.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It works now and also scales and looks like butt.

It's the migration to retina all over again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

webmeister posted:

I hate you. I spent 20 minutes waiting outside JB Hifi only to discover that no JB Hifi in Sydney has any of the Plus models :argh:

Mine was delivered to my desk while I sat here configuring some piece of poo poo Chinese Android phone (that we use in-house because it has a barcode scanner on it)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

webmeister posted:

Yeah but how long did you spend mashing refresh on the Apple Store website last Friday? Checkmate, nerd :smuggo:

I got the links off whirlpool to order my phone via telstra and did it at around 7PM Friday night without any hassles. beat the poo poo out of running around looking for one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

They stopped shipping as of the 3GS, possible the 3G even.

My 6 came with one. It's in the little cardboard sleeve under the phone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I feel like the 6 is as big as I would ever want a phone. I now no longer regret going for the iPad Air over the Mini, as they would have essentially been fighting each other for justification to use either on the couch.

I think the 6 wouldnt have hurt to be slightly smaller, maybe 4.4 or 4.5? Im happy with it, but I hope they dont get any bigger without offering a small model because its really at the limit of my handling to have a phone this big.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The app "Ausgamers" (a news page app, basically) never got retina updates, so that would be a free one you could try.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tuyop posted:

If anything it'll help people save money because I guess for many women their tight pants and tiny pockets shoot phones straight into toilets. It's like squeezing a bar of soap.

I've told friends to "just strap that poo poo to your body" but not like this. Never like this. :stonk:

This exact thing is why my old Nokia 3200 died. I stood up off the toilet, pulled up my pants too fast and catapulted my phone out of my pocket, into the wall, and rebounded into the toilet.

I had to flush before I got it out. Still works.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My iPhone 5 was solely responsible for the three broken ribs I just experienced at the snow last month. The edge of the phone sitting in the breast pocket lines up perfectly with all three breaks.

At least the 6 might break the fall instead next time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pretty impressed with the battery in my 6. I haven't been using wifi at all as I got a bonus 25GB for the first month of my contract and I have 4G everywhere I go.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has 8.0.2 fixed the Wifi issues yet? theres nothing in the notes that says it does.

I skipped 8.0.1 for obvious reasons.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

various cheeses posted:

What exactly is the wifi issue? Is it where your phone can't find a single loving wireless network? Between this and at&t's lovely throttled service which doesn't load pictures half the time, there may be some problems.

It connects to wifi fine but doesnt load any data and my 6 gets warm and the battery level drops like mad.

beyond that the phone is fine in every aspect (although I too have had a few photos not rotate correctly when viewed on the phone)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why is iTunes not transferring songs to my iPhone 6?

it does a whole album then greys-out 3 or 4 songs on the phone. deleting them and re-transferring works sometimes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

What a bunch of clickbait garbage. "Finland Blames Apple for Economic Problems" http://finance.yahoo.com/news/finland-blames-apple-economic-problems-184600796.html

(They're talking about Nokia)

"Apple made a smartphone OS that was actually useful and we continued to rest on our laurels making lovely devices a bloo bloo bloo my share price"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wifi is a known bug on the new devices isnt it?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Having the alarm turn off because I rested my thumb on the touchID sensor while I pick up my phone off the bedside table is getting really loving annoying.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wouldn't that be the desired behavior since the alarm presumably did its job?

I can pick up my phone in my sleep so no, not really. without starting a debate on sleeping habits, I snooze because I just take a long time to wake up.

All it would take to change is make the screen stay off while the alarm sounded, requiring the home button be pressed to deactivate the alarm, you know, like every single iphone before touchID.

It wouldnt be so bad if not for the fact the 6 has lovely rounded edges so essentially the only way you can pick it up is with the charging end hanging off the edge of the table.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure the iPhone screen has always turned on when the alarm sounds. It sounds like you've trained yourself to turn your alarm off.

yeah you're right, though you had to interact with the phone by swiping and entering a PIN if you had one to disable the alarm.

now just picking the loving thing up with your thumb on the button makes it unlock and kill the alarm.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just came in to confirm that I am never migrating to Android.

My father is using a Galaxy S2 and wanted to install Uber. I had to set up a gmail account for him, which is fine. I then couldnt find the Play Store, because apparently this device doesnt receive updates and it was called "Market" but wasnt in the app menu, it was in the 'Google' menu.

so I download that and open it, and it tells me its upgraded to the play store. I think "OK Cool, now I can show him how to download and install apps" so I close out to go to the home screen and open up the app menu.

The Play Store icon vanishes before our very eyes. I reboot, and its not there. There is no sign of it anywhere on the device, but it is running in the app info screen or whatever the gently caress that menu button is.

Theres all this other carrier-based app poo poo all over the phone - a total of about 30 icons of stuff that leads to dead web pages and some thing called "Apex Launcher" which has no icon, no menu, and no way of removing. even googling for removing shows that its a complex process.

"gently caress it, I'll factory reset the phone"

So I make sure his account is syncing so he doesnt lose his contacts. it says 'last synced at 6:26PM'. I re-sync just to confirm. It goes green and updates the sync time.

I tried about 6 times to wipe the phone but it didnt work. reboot. My battery has gone from 50% to 12% during the reboot. I then factory reset the phone.

It begins installing all the lovely carrier apps and Apex launcher again. For a factory reset, this isnt very factory! oh well. I log in to his gmail account. No contacts. no settings or passwords.

Awesome.

so Google Play Store is still not there, and market is back. I re-update to Play Store, leave it open, download the uber app. close Play Store. it disappears again.

Re-sync contacts in settings. no contacts. Log into Gmail account on PC, no contacts. WOO.

Import the SIM contacts (which was most of them anyway). No intuitive method of doing this besides tap+hold to import. then 'menu' button allows 'import all'.

so now i have triplicates of all entries in address book.

Phone died due to low battery.

this took approximately 30 minutes.

In comparison, I factory reset my iPad, wiped 40GB of data in the process and restored it to exactly how it was before hand (minus the VLC movie files making up that 40GB) all the way down to the version of the apps I had installed at the time of the backup, and it took me less than 10 minutes to get up and running again.

What the gently caress is wrong with people who choose android?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The problem isn't the age of the phone or the bloat ware, what's annoying is that I nuked my dads contacts after it specifically confirmed data was synced. The madness of the disappearing App Store was also a pain in the rear end.

He only uses it for calls and text so the only benefit of an iPhone is a bigger screen ( for him that's a big deal, being 63)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, Android was pretty rough until the middle of 2012 I'd say. The real problem here, is that the guy is using a phone that was comparable to the iPhone 3GS (they were both out at the same time, iPhone 4 didn't come out until later that year iirc).

Try using a 3GS these days.

The phone is reasonably responsive though - its not a matter of power. I use one of the same phones to run my RaceChrono because nothing on iOS compares.

at least if you back up your account on a 3GS it backs up your loving account

My dad uses it because the screen is big-ish and easy for him to read in comparison to his Nokia 3315 which he was using up until this year.

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a friend, a CS PhD student, who is staunchly anti-Apple. He doesn't like how Apple "overcharges" for additional storage. He thinks Androids are "more powerful". He doesn't like how "locked down" iOS is.

Meanwhile, all he does on his Galaxy S5 is play Candycrush.

Yeah I dont get it either. My boss (head of the IT dept) flashes his S4 with all these custom ROMs and we get emails saying 'text/email only, new ROM doesnt have dialer working in the nightly' and other really stupid poo poo. Its retarded that anyone dependent on the technology offered in a smartphone puts up with having it literally not perform a major function in the name of customisability.

And then you have just swathes of fuckwits using that Comic-sans font and LOL-ing at how 'locked down' Apple products are, not allowing to express their lovely taste in system fonts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you go to volume / sound settings you can set the volume of thr ringer, notifications and alarms to be separate from your volume buttons

This is good however I find that its sometimes buggy with phone alerts (text/call) and third party apps (messenger, Whatsapp) are bundled in with 'other notifications/noises' and tied to the volume buttons.

so if you watch that volume-boosted cat video on youtube that sends you clamoring for the volume down button you have to remember to crank it back up after if you want to hear your Messenger alerts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why do they insist on loving with poo poo that works perfectly fine?

like Photos on my Mac now has none of the events in it, which is how I sorted stuff.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apple Pay isnt live in Australia but we have had NFC debit/credit cards for about 2 years already, I cant imagine when it does launch here that it'll make much of a splash.

Although I guess it would mean one less card in my wallet, which would be nice.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have no idea how but i managed to put a small crease in the back of my iPhone 6. Im pretty careful with my stuff, too.

Whats more annoying is my iPad Air had the same thing happen to it and it literally only moves from my nightstand to my bed.

The quest for thinness is costing durability.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's purely cosmetic.

I thought this but mine also has a display that doesnt quite sit level in the body and depending on the humidity/temperature, makes a creaking noise if you scroll up/down the right hand side of the display.

I've never dropped it or treated it poorly either.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My girlfriend has a 7year old Toshiba satellite pro running vista. It's arduous but serviceable.

It does what she needs (except back up her phone if she upgrades, natch)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well the new Music app is garbage. Great Job Apple.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What, specifically, don't you like about it?

I don't use streaming at all. It would be nice if it didn't design the entire UI of music to herd you to streaming.

It was bad enough when a fresh open of the app dumped you into radio before, now they've taken away quick ways to get your local music.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Facebook and Facebook Messenger both dont display badges for notifications.

Facebook doesnt show banners or notification center

Messenger shows banners.

Anyone else had this and fixed it? uninstalled and reinstalled, disabled push notifications in FB and re-enabled, no luck.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont know if it was Siri or Apple Maps, but Im no longer using Apple Maps after this.

5 times I tried to get Siri to give me directions to a specific street address (eg. number, street, suburb) and it just kept bringing up directions to the cinema in the area. I know where the cinema is, but I wasnt going there. I needed directions to a house in that area that I hadnt been to before. Totally different street names, and it definitely doesnt sound like I am saying 'cinema'.

Same phrase into google maps and it hits first time.

I used to tell people "Apple maps is fine if you know the address of where you are going (and the integration makes it worth it), but Google Maps is better if you want to find the nearest XYZ" but now I just say 'just use google maps its entirely better'

Googles traffic re-routing is way better too. I just moved house and have been exploring new ways to work and google takes me around all the lovely bits that Apple Maps just has you jump right into.

I've also noticed if you arent specific with your suburb of the street, Siri just routes you to the nearest one to wherever your last location was when you closed maps.

The thing is, I dont remember it being this dumb in the past?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seriously. My dad got a new 4S through his work (or a very well kept used one, I dunno) and holy poo poo, there really is something to be said about the design of that thing. its beautiful to look at and hold.

Frankly if they made a iphone 6 sized iphone 5, I would be all over that. I have dropped my 6 more than any other phone I have ever owned.

It seems that they are doubling down on this design from the leaks though, which sucks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I gave Siri/ a specific street number and name and she still couldnt do anything but take me to the cinema of that suburb.

Google maps > mic button > address > you are there when it says you will be.

Apple maps went from being half OK in city areas to being utterly useless at avoiding traffic or even using decent routes and generally being poo poo at stuff even the worst GPS unit will get around.

The only thing I dont like about Google Maps is not having Siri integration.

EDIT: new phone is cool and I wish they just made the iphone 7 a 6-sized 5 design. I slammed the trunklid of my hatch back on my 5 and it didnt even dent. I dropped my 6 on a wooden floor and it dented the top corner and the screen wont sit flush with the chassis. the shape has led to more drops of this phone in near 2 years of ownership than all my previous phones combined. Thankfully it hasnt cracked the screen yet.

Just something that isnt a slippery fuckin soap bar that cant handle a few tumbles.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

iPhone 6 is an OK size, would be better if it was a different shape/easier to hold.

the SE is tempting to me if the 7 doesnt get OIS/good camera upgrades over the 6 or the physical design of the 7 is lacking. the 5 copped a lot of flak at the start but its actually a pretty nice looking phone (and isnt as loving slippery either)