Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

regarding jailbreaks, back in the old iOS days your JB pretty much lasted until you restored or otherwise updated the iOS software. now I've read poo poo about losing the JB just by rebooting the phone, and there's some hassle with a Cydia app that you have to run after reboot, and that has to be replaced every week. how did it come to that? like, I know apple cracks down as hard as they can on that stuff, but ELI5 what they did with the OS to make jailbreaking such a pain in the rear end compared to before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

since they still take a while to roll out new JBs, I assume there's still difficulties in finding the loopholes for inserting your own IPAs?

Duckman2008 posted:

Jail breaking was nice in the same way rooting android was nice: phones were new, so basic features were not rolled out yet, so it was a way to get them early.

Now that phones do pretty much everything you need / want them to do, jail breaking and rooting is pretty pointless. If you want to do it go for it, but it's basically a waste of time.

yeah, I've never rooted any of my android phones, and I stopped jailbreaking once control centre was introduced in iOS proper way back when. I don't see myself jailbreaking what'll most likely be my next phone either. I was just curious about the technicalities

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 23, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm probably getting 8+. X is starting at $1400 over here and that's way too much to pay for a phone with faceID, animojis and awkward swipe motions.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

coming from Android, that's going to piss me off regularly for the first few weeks, I suppose. when I hit a quick toggle for wifi and bluetooth, I expect it to turn it off, not just disconnect from whatever's current and keep it on in the background. who the gently caress gave that decision?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

two dumb questions:

1) any recommended adblockers to look out for when the phone arrives?

2) I'm using LastPass as a password manager, how well does it work on iOS?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Khablam posted:

They don't work well, for anything that's not a specifically supported app you'll need to copy-paste.

which is pretty similar to android, then. thanks.

Khablam posted:

That said, don't use lastpass. It's a security nightmare. Use 1password or Keepass.

from what I've read in the past they're pretty quick to respond to threats, though? it was already somewhat of a hassle to migrate to one password manager, I can't imagine switching to another would be any simpler.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to add! My 8+ shipped :dance:

same

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think we've reached peak iPhone supply. A gold 8+ that wasn't supposed to arrive until the end of the month is being delivered to my home tomorrow.

Unlike peak oil, peak iPhone means there will no longer be shortages* because no one cares anymore and Johnny Ives is trying desperately hard to slit his own wrists with the far too rounded corners of the latest iPhone**.

I'm kind of surprised because here in Norway iPhone supply always seemed to be extremely limited for the first few months (at least back in the 3G-4s days, which was when I last owned iPhones), and it was even a queue at my carrier's preorder. I half-expected to haing to wait two weeks or so, but luck and fortune prevailed

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Over There posted:

So how is everyone's new phone??

the 8p plus is very iPhone-esque, and I like it so far. iOS has changed some, but not too significantly, since version 7.

is the App Store slow as poo poo for anyone else? 9 times out of 10 apps won't download at all, though they will grant the "touchID to verify" prompt. this is making the setup take a whole lot longer than I anticipated.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

one thing I find interesting is that even though the 8+ isn't significantly wider than the Nexus 5x, it does feel a whole lot larger in my hands. 3D touch or whatever its called is also forcing me to change my habits some. most of the time when I want to just long-press (e.g when to move or delete an app on the home screen) I end up triggering 3D/force touch instead like half of the time.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

but seriously what's up with the app store

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pivo posted:

You can change 3D touch's sensitivity under General > Accessibility > 3D Touch

sweet, thanks

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’ve been on android for the past four years or so, so I’ve another dumb question:

when you flip the left-side switch to silent mode, it’ll mute all sounds and the ringtone, but still let through the alarm clock, right?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’m still having trouble downloading any apps on my phone. 90% of the time the icon will just spin without anything happening, and then revert back to “get” after three minutes or so. I’m in talks with Apple support over twitter, but this is seriously starting to piss me off.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

When that happened to me I had to log back in to iTunes and iCloud on my PC then it worked.

Would I have to log out on both my MacBook air and desktop PC?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pivo posted:

Been seeing a lot of people doing „quotes like this” a lot more on the English Internet too, which makes me think that's iOS taking their locale settings too. Still haven't seen 《 these 》tho

tbh proper quotes are the way to go, if you want ascii only input, the text field should specify!

I occasionally use «» even in English, since they're the standard quotation marks in most Scandinavian countries. Dunno how you got those weird huge ones.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

om android, the big culprit for unwanted battery usage was Facebook, but on iOS it seems to be snapchat. Battery stats says 1,6hrs background even though I've denied it background refreshing. Facebook only uses battery when I actively use it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

dissss posted:

The reason does matter though because I think the new behaviour makes a lot more sense most of the time.

yes, it is so extremely logical that an off-switch doesn't actually turn anything off after all, I agree

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

enojy posted:

I beg to differ. I dropped Android about two years ago and never intend to go back. The hardware is almost always a gamble, and the less ingrained I am into google’s big data brain, the better.

this.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DAE experience occasional animation slowdown upon unlocking the phone on 11.0.2? and I swear to god that it also forcequits one or two of the frozen apps. like suddenly an app i'm pretty sure I haven't swiped away will suddenly be gone from the multitasker

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

goddamn do I hope Apple could extend the ability to customise control centre. I really don’t need screen mirroring or that apple music thingy enough for them to constantly take up space

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

since I’m on an 8plus none of the new ones won me over, so I did the second best and bought some airpods. they fit fine, but I’m worried I’ll look like a douchebag in public now

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I updated to ios 12 today and now the true tone toggle is just suddenly gone entirely1, but it still appears as a search result in settings, and brings me straight to display settings. I even tried a restart. what gives? (I was gonna try uploading screenshots, but the app fails to post them).

1 both from settings and 3d touch in control centre

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 18, 2018

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Danish doesn’t even seem to work with swiping. Sad.

neither does norwegian. apple hates scandinavia :sigh:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've switched from an iphone 8 plus to one of those newfangled buttonless iphones and the one thing i'm really struggling with getting used to is the app switching. I've got the gestures down, but it doesn't really feel as quick as doing the old double press. there's also the whole "control centre is top-to-bottom" that's a bit awkward at the moment. I wish I could say "this whole oled thing sure is brilliant", but apart from turning the brightness up to max for a second or two and noticing how black the black was, I haven't really noticed anything special at the moment.

I do enjoy having a phone that's easy to use one handed again though, and faceID seems to work alright, but is there a way to go straight to the homescreen after unlocking with my mug without having to use my hands?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this emote is motherfucking perfect with dark mode, jesus christ

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how can i tell that deep fusion has kicked in on a photo?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

motherfuckers release the god drat update already

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my only complaint is that I’m still not allowed to keep apps on the bottom of the screen, they must fill from the top

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Xabi posted:

Not just me (or my head) then. Especially going back and forth in Safari feels a whole lot faster now.

even my 11 pro feels a lot faster and more responsive after upgrading. I'm not sure if this is just the regular effect of a recent big upgrade with a clean reboot, or if they've done some magic under the hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the new lock screen is finally back to being not completely useless for music again. only took them five versions to get back to how it was in the past. thanks apple :tipshat: