Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone gone caseless?

I got a gold 5s at launch and it's never seen a case. It's not at all bad. There are a few minor scratches; the only really noticeable one goes right through the Apple logo on the back.

We'll see how resale value goes. My 6 should be coming on Friday. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I've used mobile phones "naked" for like a decade now but I'm going to get a case for my 6. I like it, but it feels like it has the perfect amount of slipperiness and size to go flying out of my hand at some inopportune time.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

TouchID to unlock your phone is literally quicker than having no passcode since you don't even have to touch the screen to swipe.

Yeah, agreed. Give it a week or two and it'll be second nature.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Actually it looks like Settings -> Touch ID and passcode should help you out here anyway.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

RhoA posted:

Is it the new design/material of the phone that makes it feel that way or is it the size that makes it feel less secure? I don't use a case on my phones either, so having to make that change will be interesting.

A bit of both, for me, but primarily the latter. The center of gravity for the 6 is much higher in my palm than the 5s, so it feels much less secure in my hand.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Bend it like Shirri.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

eriddy posted:

Is a phone lanyard a thing and if not why not and if so are they cool?

Weird; I saw one of these today on the train for the first time just today and was wondering what the deal was. Maybe it's a new thing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
They REALLY shouldn't have moved the guy responsible for streaming the keynote over to the iOS division.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I would love to have been a fly on the wall in 1 Infinite Loop these last few days. Between bendghazi and the the piss-poor iOS rollout (which should be considered the bigger issue, but somehow isn't) it must be pure chaos over there.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Oh god. Please not the "assless chaps is redundant" argument again. Not in the iPhone thread!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

eames posted:

Since I can't find a dedicated iOS8 thread I'll ask here.
I'm trying to save a few pages to the reading list so I can view them offline while on a plane. It works but the articles always disappear from the list right after I first view them offline. Is there a way to keep the articles in the reading list until I manually delete them?

Hit "show all" in the lower right corner. It will show you the articles you've "read" and you can delete them from there if you'd like.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Is anyone else really looking forward to apple Pay? I hope the big chains like Target sign on.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Isn't the lens sapphire anyway? You'd practically have to TRY to gently caress it up.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I really want to be able to run around without needing to carry a wallet. If that means my sweaty rear end has to eat at the arches I can live with that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That's not how the law works at all, lmao. If some moron drops your phone it's their fault.

Their fault meaning they pay for it?

You have a cite for that?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Fuckin' Amazon Visa. Every other Chase card works, why'd you have to be a dick?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

People keep saying the older devices lack hardware, but no hardware is required for Apple Pay support in apps.

Apple is simply not enabling it for older devices, even though they they should be compatible.

Apple Pay is supported on the new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, but those lack NFC.

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/
(scroll to the very bottom)

Besides lacking any kind of the NFC, the iPad mini 3 and the iPhone 5S have nearly identical hardware (they both have the same A7/M7/TouchID/etc). Yet Apple has the iPad mini 3 "support" Apple Pay, and not the iPhone 5S.

To use Apple Pay at card readers and online, you need both NFC and the secure element. Which the 6 and 6+ have.
To use Apple Pay online ONLY, you need the secure element. Which those iPads have.
Because the 5s has neither, it can't use Apple Pay until the Watch comes out, which will have both of those and can be sort of tethered to it.

(I think this is right, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Candy Dawn posted:

I don't know about the iPhone's but I was dumb and upgraded my iPad 2 and Safari has become unbearable, I wish I never upgraded. I wish I could downgrade.

Yeah, my 3 wasn't much more useful with 8 than 7, and it definitely was slower.

One thing you should try is to go to settings -> general -> accessibility -> increase contrast and turn on reduce transparency. It helps.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Apple Pay just works anywhere with NFC. Lots of places here never jumped on board, but a lot of places in the city (even smaller ones) utilize it out the rear end in a top hat.

No, it should, but some spiteful retailers and restaurants have the ability to take Apple Pay but turned it off. It's annoying.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Are there any tips to getting the finger sensor to reliably work? At least 1/2 the time it doesnt recognize my thumb scan and frequently it misses it multiple times so i end up having to input my passcode.

Ive rescanned my thumb multiple times and it seems like it makes it better for a day or two then it starts errorig again. I also have multiple saved scans of my thumb which may have helped a bit but its definitely not foolproof.

It should be fine now. There were minor problems back when the 5s was released but for me at least, TouchID has been pretty bulletproof since.

When you're getting the prints set up, make sure you're following the directions carefully. The first round should be basically you aligning the middle of your thumb with the middle of the sensor and lifting it up and down a few times. The second round is where TouchID gets the edges... so you'll align the left-middle of your print, right-middle of your print, top-middle of your print, and so on.

I suspect this is where your problem is going to be, but it's a lot easier to show than tell. Still, good luck!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This has happened to me, too, and it was maddening. Turned out to be the Twitter app (I'm dumb enough to be running the default one)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dialectics posted:

My cats inevitably find a way to step on my phone screen and leave a nice scratch. I hate screen protectors, but have resorted to using them for this sole purpose.

You should consider a case for your cats' paws

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

The true play is to wait until Best Buy/Target/Walmart start clearance pricing out the now-discontinued iPhone X :ssh:

I like this idea.

Barring that I'll probably grab the XR.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah holy poo poo these names are terrible.

Please call the next one 11 Apple.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Weedle posted:

What’s a good small Android phone?

Doesn’t Sony make one?

I’m kinda hoping for an X SE next spring (probably in vain). The people who like that form factor really like it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

enojy posted:

Was able to have my display replaced today (that just randomly stopped working last night) in about an hour under warranty. A blessing in disguise, really, since my original screen had a nasty uneven top fourth when rendering darker scenes in videos and images. The new one has it slightly towards the bottom, but it's absolutely agreeable compared to what it was like before.

Did they tell you what was wrong with it?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

We should create a thread where we sperg over shipping details like they do in macrumors. Except we do it with the facade of irony.

It-It-It’s not like I wanted that phone, stupid!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

American McGay posted:

If I spent $1500 on a phone I'd probably be telling myself this too.

everyone gets excited for their new stuff, don't be a dick

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It’s too bad there aren’t any amazing trade-in deals this time around. Going from the 6 to 7 was absurdly cheap, at least if you took advantage of the T Mobile launch deal, but I haven’t seen anything as remotely good right now. Best I’ve seen is $300 for the 7.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Biodome posted:

Where’s the $300 for the 7?

Sorry, I said that VERY poorly.

You can get $300 for trading in the 7 to buy something newer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Where are you seeing that? I’ve only seen $200 trade in value for a 7.

Looks like it's just T-Mobile again. Here's a list of the carrier deals, none of which is great this year:

https://www.consumerreports.org/smartphones/best-deals-on-the-iphone-xs-and-xs-max/

Starz posted:

Question: Is there an easy/free method to dump all of my music from my iphone 6s to PC?

My NAS died and I lost my music library, but it still exists on my iPhone. I poked around iTunes and can't see a way to pull everything back to my PC. Ideally the files would be organized somewhat into a file folder structure, but I guess I can live without that.

Can anyone recommend a solution to me?

I don't know if this still works, since the last time I had to do it was on a 5s, but if you mount the phone as a drive with a USB cable, you can poke around and find all the MP3s. They will be completely disorganized and albums will be confusingly split across unrelated directories, but if you copy everything over to your PC, whatever you use to import them back SHOULD rearrange everything properly again based on metadata.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

I would get an 8+ before paying $750 for a 720p screen tbh.

but it's not a 720 screen...?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Please check my math on this because I'm actually not sure--

1280 x 720 (720p) = 922k pixels
1792 x 828 (XR) = 1,484k pixels
1920 x 1080 (1080p) = 2,074k pixels

Which puts it just slightly closer to 720p than 1080p, but to say it's just a 720p screen is nuts, as you're getting 60% more pixels.

...Though I suppose it's true that if you love your 1080p video you would rather not watch it on an XR. I watch minimal video (and when I do, it's not 1080p) so not too big a deal for me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Any idea what could cause an SE to hang at the call log (“recents”) screen, and only there?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
God drat Face ID is amazing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
No midnight blue leather cases in this entire city of 2 million people, what the gently caress Apple.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Get the cod blue and wait for your disgusting grime a lovely patina to darken it.

But--and I know this is slightly crazy--gold phone in the midnight blue case will perfectly match my gold s2 with the midnight blue band and I like that symmetry.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I just did a big, big jump: from the 5S to the XS. Five numbers.

It's a pity. I think they had it right the first time with the smaller screens. The idea that your thumb should be able to comfortably go from corner to corner without much of a stretch. On the XS the center bottom and the top corners are really far. You literally could not do it without shifting your palm. And there are so many things that require that movement. I almost wish all of the phone's UI could be contained in the bottom 2/3 and you'd use the top only for videos or whatnot.

The thing that kinda surprised me was just how little I’m going to the top of the screen now anyway. Have you been swiping from the left much? With some exceptions—awful still requires you going to the top of the screen—the interfaces seem to be requiring it less and less.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

So how did the people who have an XS already get theirs? I preordered mine via T-Mobile the day it was available and I still haven't gotten mine

64 gig gold was available for me same day as ordered last week. From t-mobile.

They may have run out of the 512s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, I am sure the tech guys at SA will clear that up super fast