Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just looked at my first Screen Time report.

It was a shameful report...

:negative:

Then I turned that poo poo right the gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Same. I don’t even want to know how much I read and play at work and if someone else saw... No thanks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I actually just started using widgets recently with my previous phone and now the XS, is there a way to get new ones for apps that seemingly don't have one by default? I'd like one for battery that worked like screen time, like what you can see in the battery settings but at a swipe and glance rather than digging through that settings menu.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Soul Glo posted:

I actually just started using widgets recently with my previous phone and now the XS, is there a way to get new ones for apps that seemingly don't have one by default? I'd like one for battery that worked like screen time, like what you can see in the battery settings but at a swipe and glance rather than digging through that settings menu.

Not at the moment. The widgets are installed as part of apps or supported as part of the OS.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Soul Glo posted:

You can see which of your apps have widgets by scrolling to the bottom of the list and tapping Edit. The default battery widget doesn't show that kind of detail, but tapping it will bring you right to the battery page in Settings. You'll need a third party battery app with a widget like that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It’s too bad there aren’t any amazing trade-in deals this time around. Going from the 6 to 7 was absurdly cheap, at least if you took advantage of the T Mobile launch deal, but I haven’t seen anything as remotely good right now. Best I’ve seen is $300 for the 7.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there a way to reset your airpods? My right airpod is quieter than the my left airpod? I thought I might have had junk in my ear that was muffling it but my wife noticed it too?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

First Forbes article I've read that wasn't total clickbait poo poo. I knew something looked a bit off in iOS 12, starting with the badge icons/bubbles that weren't quite as red as usual. Can't say it's "ruining my display with a poor calibration" though...

My colors are definitely off in ios12 but that article title is the very definition of clickbait lol

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a way to reset your airpods? My right airpod is quieter than the my left airpod? I thought I might have had junk in my ear that was muffling it but my wife noticed it too?

I've had this situation and it got resolved by just forgetting and pairing them again.

I've never tried this but apparently you can also do a deeper "reset" if you forget the AirPods on your device, then flip the case open and hold down the pairing button until the light flashes amber. After it blinks 3x, let go of the button, close the lid, and re-pair them.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Agronox posted:

It’s too bad there aren’t any amazing trade-in deals this time around. Going from the 6 to 7 was absurdly cheap, at least if you took advantage of the T Mobile launch deal, but I haven’t seen anything as remotely good right now. Best I’ve seen is $300 for the 7.

Where’s the $300 for the 7?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Biodome posted:

Where’s the $300 for the 7?

Sorry, I said that VERY poorly.

You can get $300 for trading in the 7 to buy something newer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

My colors are definitely off in ios12 but that article title is the very definition of clickbait lol

Well, it’s Forbes.

Also, isn’t it a Pay-for-Publish on opinion articles now?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I still recommend waiting for refurb deals if the pricing is too hard to swallow. Each new release seems to generate new refurb stock.

I got my seven from Walmart.com refurbed ~$450 for the 128G a couple years ago after the 8s show up.

But that being said I was moving from Winpho so I was going to buy anyways to get something reliable and quality - chasing the bottom dollar white rabbit is for Android

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Soul Glo posted:

Got an XS when Verizon opened this morning, and it lived in my pocket til I could get to the fruit stand to get Applecare+ and a forest green leather case.

So far I love it, coming from an 8+. This form factor is exactly what I wanted, able to use my phone one handed again without thinking I'ma drop it. Also super light. Gonna be nice at work when I'm juggling multiple things and need to look at my phone.

First phone with an OLED screen and panicked when I first noticed the hue changing to a cooler temperature when the viewing angle changes. Apparently that's just par for the course on OLEDs, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Face ID is a lot better than I thought it'd be too, worrying about missing the home button. Super nice that the phone will just quickly scan my face for logging into accounts instead of asking for my password or taking a moment to remember to put my thumb on a sensor.

:siren: DA MUTHA FUCKIN FRUIT STAND 😂😂😂😂😂 :siren:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, it’s Forbes.

Also, isn’t it a Pay-for-Publish on opinion articles now?

Forbes has their "contributor network" with around 2000 authors who effectively get to self-publish on forbes.com with minimal editorial oversight, and they get paid based on pageviews. Which means you're going to find the clickbaitiest of the clickbaity bullshit there, and people will point to it as "well, it's on Forbes" as though it's still an authoritative source.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FCKGW posted:

Oh haha, I know! That's why I said "total" clickbait poo poo. I took the bait, read it, and thought huh, that actually is a problem... just not that serious of one.

Partycat posted:

I still recommend waiting for refurb deals if the pricing is too hard to swallow. Each new release seems to generate new refurb stock.

I got my seven from Walmart.com refurbed ~$450 for the 128G a couple years ago after the 8s show up.

But that being said I was moving from Winpho so I was going to buy anyways to get something reliable and quality - chasing the bottom dollar white rabbit is for Android

I think Apple's refurb site is selling them for that much right now, and there's no better place to buy a refurbished Apple product from as it's basically new and comes with the standard 1-year warranty.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 23, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Agreed, I took a gamble with the wherever refurbed it , which wasn’t Apple . But , it worked out okay.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Honestly thinking of staying with the XS for a couple years. Moved up from the 8+ and I’m content with having the new design. Don’t really miss the larger size or nothing and unless something major happens next model don’t really want to bother with changing a lot. Went ahead and got AC+ and I plan on getting it also on my Series 4 when I get that in this week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agronox posted:

Sorry, I said that VERY poorly.

You can get $300 for trading in the 7 to buy something newer.
Where are you seeing that? I’ve only seen $200 trade in value for a 7.

Starz
Sep 7, 2003

Question: Is there an easy/free method to dump all of my music from my iphone 6s to PC?

My NAS died and I lost my music library, but it still exists on my iPhone. I poked around iTunes and can't see a way to pull everything back to my PC. Ideally the files would be organized somewhat into a file folder structure, but I guess I can live without that.

Can anyone recommend a solution to me?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Josh Lyman posted:

Verizon gives $320 for a 7+ in any condition as far as I can tell, as long as it turns on.

Which kinda made me sad because my phone was almost flawless, but that's still more than worth it to avoid having to sell your phone online.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks like it's just T-Mobile again. Here's a list of the carrier deals, none of which is great this year:

https://www.consumerreports.org/smartphones/best-deals-on-the-iphone-xs-and-xs-max/

Starz posted:

Question: Is there an easy/free method to dump all of my music from my iphone 6s to PC?

My NAS died and I lost my music library, but it still exists on my iPhone. I poked around iTunes and can't see a way to pull everything back to my PC. Ideally the files would be organized somewhat into a file folder structure, but I guess I can live without that.

I don't know if this still works, since the last time I had to do it was on a 5s, but if you mount the phone as a drive with a USB cable, you can poke around and find all the MP3s. They will be completely disorganized and albums will be confusingly split across unrelated directories, but if you copy everything over to your PC, whatever you use to import them back SHOULD rearrange everything properly again based on metadata.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Starz posted:

It's $$$, but there's always this: https://macroplant.com/iexplorer

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol T-Mobile emailed me saying I could upgrade from my 8 to a xs. I went to the store and they wanted $250 extra. No thanks, the 8 is fine. :v:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Starz posted:

There's none that are free anywhere, but I had to resurrect my Macbook music library from my iPhone several months back and ending up juggling the free trials of a bunch of apps that all transferred my music with metadata intact. Just Google it. They all have identical janky functionality if you don't purchase a software package. If you're going to buy one, then I've heard Sharepod is excellent.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 23, 2018

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Cartoon Man posted:

:mrgw:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is Screen Time supposed to be displaying accurately now? Because I got mine this morning and it said I only use my phone 3 and a half hours a day, and that can't be right. I'm probably listening to 3 and a half hours of podcasts every day, not to mention all the other poo poo I do with my phone lol

Or is it literally just time spent looking at the screen and it doesn't measure when the screen isn't being used? If that's the case, even that seems low.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It would be pretty dumb to count time spent listening to something without looking at your screen.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Leaving Google Maps up doing step-by-step directions seems to count as "reading and reference", which I guess is technically true but seems to be against the general spirit of logging how much of my life I waste on shameful procasturbation

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Unfortunately screen time categories are 100% up the the devs to self-categorize. So there’s a lot of apps that are under categories that make 0 sense and that kinda defeats the purpose of the whole thing if your social media app of choice decided to pretend it’s actually reading and reference like the Wikipedia app.

The totals mean nothing right now outside of just “ew gross I look at this pocket screen too much” while the actual app breakdowns are much more useful to determine how much of a waste you truly are.

(My first week totals scared me, why did you do this Tim?)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ratbert90 posted:

Lol T-Mobile emailed me saying I could upgrade from my 8 to a xs. I went to the store and they wanted $250 extra. No thanks, the 8 is fine. :v:

I'm confused, they wanted to just straight up trade your iPhone 8 for an an XS for $250 total?

Could you be more specific, because that's an incredible deal and I can't find any evidence of that being offered. It that's real, you would be foolish to say no.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I think he was paying monthly and on top of that they wanted $250.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So my new iPhone case doesn't fit the dock I own so I might go down the wireless route. I think the Anker and Ikea ones are the de-facto budget wireless chargers, but I think I've seen people generally saying that their phones get hot when they charge wirelessly - is this actually a problem?

Also, can anyone vouch for a good budget upright wireless charger that won't let my phone fall off if it vibrates a bunch?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

So my new iPhone case doesn't fit the dock I own so I might go down the wireless route. I think the Anker and Ikea ones are the de-facto budget wireless chargers, but I think I've seen people generally saying that their phones get hot when they charge wirelessly - is this actually a problem?

Also, can anyone vouch for a good budget upright wireless charger that won't let my phone fall off if it vibrates a bunch?

The Anker quick charger for an office/desk/daytime charging and the Anker regular charger for bedside/overnight charging. If the LED bothers you, put a small piece of electrical tape over it.

Be warned they do not come with a wall wart. Get the Anker PowerQ v3 wall warts to go with them.

Getting warm is normal for induction charging.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Proteus Jones posted:

The Anker quick charger for an office/desk/daytime charging and the Anker regular charger for bedside/overnight charging. If the LED bothers you, put a small piece of electrical tape over it.

Be warned they do not come with a wall wart. Get the Anker PowerQ v3 wall warts to go with them.

Getting warm is normal for induction charging.
Cheers! It'll be for my bedside so I'll definitely want to cover up the LED light.

How fast would the charging be through the small wall plug that is provided with the iPhone? I never really use mine so could always use that. Although I could always get a two-port one and replace the iPad plug I also have there. (Incidentally, I've never heard the phrase "wall wart" before and had to look up what you meant)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Cheers! It'll be for my bedside so I'll definitely want to cover up the LED light.

How fast would the charging be through the small wall plug that is provided with the iPhone? I never really use mine so could always use that. Although I could always get a two-port one and replace the iPad plug I also have there. (Incidentally, I've never heard the phrase "wall wart" before and had to look up what you meant)

For overnight, it will *probably* work? I've always used the Anker PowerQ stuff long before I got their Qi chargers, so I really can't tell you. I actually have the two port near my bed for the phone and charger. And I have the 60W 5 port in my home office for iPad Pro, other Qi charger and sundry rechargeables.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any good place to look at samples of the ios12 ColorGate?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
When did Wallet start turning on full brightness when selecting a plane ticket? I saw it happen today and was so happy. Great little UX improvement.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

When did Wallet start turning on full brightness when selecting a plane ticket? I saw it happen today and was so happy. Great little UX improvement.

I think I first noticed it in iOS 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

I thought wallet had maxed out brightness for any type of scannable code since it appeared. I very much remember it doing that for any barcode since iOS 6. Unless plane tickets were an exception since I am “poor” and do not take flights very often.