Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bronin posted:

Why would you do that?
Because I've heard that it's supposed to help the battery's overall lifespan. Is that incorrect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ah, alright. Thanks for clarifying. At least it was one more thing that impressed me about this phone in the first few days of owning it :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SourKraut posted:

I remember seeing studies that cell phones placed in the front pocket could impact sperm but am not sure if any more has ever come of it.
Good thing I don't want kids :v:

One of my buddies was saying something a while back about how he always puts his phone in his back pocket and I couldn't believe it. That can't be easier to reach than a front pocket, and you run the risk of breaking it a lot easier.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thauros posted:

I'm a different person with the same problem. My hands are basically averaged sized for a man, but it's still just too drat large to use comforably with one hand or throw in your pocket.
I'm a man with average sized hands too. No it isn't. The 6 rules. The 6+ would be a different story, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: Beats Music only launched 9 months ago and Apple is shutting it down already.

quote:

Apple is planning to shut down Beats Music, Techcrunch reports. It's been just nine months since the streaming music service launched, and only four months since Apple acquired parent company Beats Electronics for $3 billion. Quoting "several prominent sources" at Apple, Techcrunch says that many of Beats Music's engineers have been moved on to other projects—such as iTunes, Apple's long-existing listening platform. No timeline has been set for the shuttering.

As Techcrunch points out, Beats Music wasn't automatically installed on the newly released iPhone 6, despite the presence of Apple's other signature apps. They also point out that during Apple's recent launch event, the Beats Music app wasn't seen on the Apple Watch.
http://pitchfork.com/news/56815-apple-reportedly-shutting-down-beats-music/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

arbybaconator posted:

I'm convinced that they are going to roll it into a new itunes streaming service.
If it means iTunes Radio won't repeat songs all the loving time, I'm all for it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slap Happy posted:

Debating selling my 5S and Mini for the 6+. It seems like it's big enough to enjoy movies on, which is mostly what I use the mini for.
The 6 is great for movies so I assume the 6+ would be even better at that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mest0r posted:

So the iPhone 6 and the 6+ support faster charging with a 2.1A charger (which are included with the iPad):

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-and-6-plus-faster-charging/
So would something like this let me take advantage of that?

(First search result for "2.1A Charger" on Amazon.)

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 22, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My WiFi performance on my 6 loving rules and blows away my old 5S in that department.

Cox is my ISP and my router is a Netgear WNDR4500.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The rumors about Beats Music shutting down were not true, says Apple.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

Guys my 8am day one iPhone 6 hasn't bent and is on 8.0.

I really like my phone guys. It feels nice.
Same here, except mine's from 9AM :hfive:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A buddy of mine got the 6+ on launch day, decided it was too big for him and put it on eBay so he could use the money to buy a regular 6.

Last I heard, someone offered him $1,200 for it :lol:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you don't believe it then go to eBay right now and search for iPhone 6 Plus and see for yourself how much they're selling for. It's real and it's ridiculous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

webmeister posted:

We're going to be talking about bananaphones for the next 11 months aren't we :sigh:
IT'S A PHONE WITH A PEEL!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

All this bending talk reminds me of this old gem. I don't suspect many of you here will be familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9fD8JS_nw
While I'm not familiar with Hopesfall's material, one of the dudes from Hopesfall went on to form Of Sinking Ships, a pretty rad post-rock project. I have 2 Of Sinking Ships albums on my 6 :cool:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy fuuuuuck, I ordered a 2.1A charger after hearing that the 6 supports fast charging like the iPad does and it just came in today. I'm charging it now and it's charging up at record speeds :stare:

This was $10 well spent!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

loudog999 posted:

As much as I hate to continue the bend talk, wouldn't any type of hard case help with this? If you are doing something to bend both a case and your phone I don't think you can consider that normal use.
Instead of bending your phone, you'd just hurt your leg instead!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I tried syncing like 110GB of music on my 6 all at once, which took a few hours and then would never seem to finish syncing after all the files said they had been added. Eventually I cancelled it and started manually adding music one row of my iTunes library at a time. That took a lot less time and everything completed successfully.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU2CHJ8bRbM

Downloading 8.0.2 now through iTunes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SgtScruffy posted:

Everything seems to be going pretty fine for me on a 6 on Verizon with 8.0.2...
Same here on AT&T. I just updated a minute ago though.

I've got cell service, so that's something :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: There was a skit on Conan just now in which a dude's coworker asked him to see his new iPhone and it was bent in half, and then it turned into an ad for the Samsung Galaxy which can be bent and slapped around without taking any damage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh they already put it up on their site. Here's the link: http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highlight-09-25-14?playlist=x%3BeyJ0eXBlIjoiZXRhZyIsImlkIjo0MzQyOX0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

serebralassazin posted:

Someone has figured out the answer to this bending controversy.

Holster case.
Going through airport security with that on would be a trip.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Laserface posted:

Has 8.0.2 fixed the Wifi issues yet? theres nothing in the notes that says it does.

I skipped 8.0.1 for obvious reasons.
Are only certain people having issues with this? I didn't have any problems with WiFi on 8.0 or 8.0.2 across multiple different WiFi networks :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My mom has iOS8 on her 8GB 4S and hasn't told me about any issues. I feel like she would've called me to troubleshoot 'em if she'd had any.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've never had Touch ID before the 6. Is it supposed to feel a little laggy at times? I've somehow been conditioned to just rest my thumb on the home button for about a second and then lift my thumb back up even though the phone doesn't unlock for another second or so.
It never did with my 6 until a couple days ago and now I've noticed it does this every so often. Maybe 8.0.2 borked it a bit? Because on 8.0 it was always instantaneous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chemmy posted:

TouchID on the six is way better than my 5S.
Yeah, same.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

smackfu posted:

Boy that share sheet is ugly.
Why does it cut off like that :wtc:

I haven't seen it do that before.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kitten smoothie posted:

It's a common thing in UI design to do this. Having something partially cut off in a scrollable zone is an affordance, aka a way to signal to the user "there's more to see/do if you scroll."

For another good example, check out the horizontally scrolling hour-by-hour view in the Weather app.

Josh Lyman posted:

Because you can't always fit everything you want to display on a single screen?
Well yeah, I know that, but I meant why wouldn't they have scaled it to fit in the single screen while in landscape orientation?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tweetbot was updated for iPhone 6/6+
And it looks daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn good now! :fap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apparently in the beta release of 8.1, the Camera Roll was brought back. Thank gently caress. Hopefully it replaces Recently Added/Recently Deleted completely because that setup is dumb as hell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

I just pulled a sizable bit of pocket fluff out of my 6's charger port after noticing my plug wouldn't go all the way in. I keep the phone in my pocket not even most of the day and don't have abnormal fluffy pockets or anything. Has this always been an issue with iPhones?
I tried brushing out my 5S' charge port with a tiny brush like a month ago after almost a year of owning it because I saw somebody do it on the internet. Apparently lint collects in there. I'd never had trouble charging, but I figured I'd try it anyway. A little piece of lint came out, but not much. After like 11 months.

So I'd say a sizable chunk of it after 2 weeks is an issue alright. I haven't tried cleaning out my 6 yet but I also haven't had any issues with charging.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In the future, the iPhone becomes so thin that you can't even see it anymore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FCKGW posted:

Next iPhone will move to five blades and a strip of aloe.
So you're saying I'm going to have to cover my face in cream every time I want to use my phone?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Athletic Footjob posted:

It'll make a change from you creaming your pants when you do.
Aww man, but I enjoy doing that so much :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Facebook app just update to support the higher res and holy balls does it make a difference.
Woah, it certainly does :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

spongeworthy posted:

Has anyone purchased an aftermarket 2.4a charger for their iPhone 6/6+ that seems to be reliable/quality?
I bought this one on 9/22 according to Amazon so I've had it for a few weeks now. Charges my 6 stupid fast. Haven't had any problems with it. I think it was one of the highest rated on Amazon so that's why I bought it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure if this was posted here yet but if you were looking for some better backgrounds this site is pretty awesome.

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/rating/iphone/iphone_6/index2.html

It has options for all of the iPhone screens.
InterfaceLift has always ruled for desktop/mobile landscape wallpapers, though I've pretty much exclusively used solid color wallpapers on my iPhones and I don't think IFL has any of those.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhh, so in 8.1, you get the Camera Roll back meaning you get an album that shows you all the pictures on your device, but when you delete photos from your Camera Roll, you still have to go through that dumb 2-step deletion process of sending them to a "Recently Deleted" folder and then deleting them for real from that folder?

That's not much better at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Or you could just ignore the "recently deleted" folder like any sane person would do.
Yeah but my point is that you're not actually deleting the photos from your device. It's like sending poo poo to the Recycle Bin vs. Shift+Deleting stuff on a PC. I've been Shift+Deleting poo poo on PCs for like the past decade or more. If I want poo poo gone, I want it to actually be gone. Not just moved somewhere else.