Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

You seem surprised that people entering the TARDIS for the first time are shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Oh. No, I guess I just phrased that a little strangely. It's just a fact that pretty much every character who sets foot in the TARDIS gets that shock, and yet us at home have never really had it. I'm a little bit jealous. It would be cool to try to feed some of that feeling back to the viewing audience one of these days. It'd be super expensive and probably really annoying to film in, though.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

qntm posted:

Oh. No, I guess I just phrased that a little strangely. It's just a fact that pretty much every character who sets foot in the TARDIS gets that shock, and yet us at home have never really had it. I'm a little bit jealous. It would be cool to try to feed some of that feeling back to the viewing audience one of these days. It'd be super expensive and probably really annoying to film in, though.
Most likely, it would be done with the interior as a set and the larger exterior CGI. Just makes more sense. Whether they would have the budget to do that convincingly, I don't know.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DoctorWhat posted:

He didn't say that it wasn't a fit for TV. He's basically right about that one.

But he said he didn't like Frobisher. That's worse than (Let's Kill) Hitler!

OH LOOK

Turns out Moffat was misquoted, according to Rob Shearman.

Because Rob Shearman follows my tumblr, you see. Because I'm cool.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Clara riding her bike into the TARDIS was pretty cool I thought.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

marktheando posted:

Clara riding her bike into the TARDIS was pretty cool I thought.

Yeah that was rad.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

I really can't stand the actual TARDIS Console from the TVM. The big pylons and raised platform are too distracting and hugely impractical to boot, the added parallel-to-the-floor platform around the edges of the hexagon is terribly misguided and makes the slope of the hex-panels too sharp. (The hexpanels should have gone out as far at the edges of the Parallel Platform, it'd have looked loads better). The time rotor is too skinny and doesn't connect nicely to the hexagon, either - it looks bolted onto the top, when if ANY two TARDIS components should appear to be naturalistically connected, it's the rotor and the controls. And the dumb table-legs on the console are, well, dumb.

The console ROOM, apart from that, is of course spectacular.

I was a little nerdragey about 8's (well, 7's if we want to get technical) giant TARDIS console room, because it was so big and had no roundels. It was way different from anything else we'd seen. Like going from the TOS Star Trek bridge to the 1701-D Lounge, but moreso. It grew on me though, and when we saw the Coral one in Rose it wasn't no thing for me by then.

Edit: Just saw this!

http://doctorwho.io9.com/peter-capaldi-turned-down-the-chance-to-audition-for-th-1660362414/+charliejane

Apparently Capaldi was asked to audition for the TV Movie but turned it down because he was afraid (rightly so) that the "American" pilot would be a one off and not up to snuff. He loved the show so much he only wanted to do it if it was being done right and for a long term.

Host: "But think of all the Big Finish you'd have done by now!" :haw:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 19, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

I was a little nerdragey about 8's (well, 7's if we want to get technical) giant TARDIS console room, because it was so big and had no roundels. It was way different from anything else we'd seen. Like going from the TOS Star Trek bridge to the 1701-D Lounge, but moreso. It grew on me though, and when we saw the Coral one in Rose it wasn't no thing for me by then.

It had to be big and opulently furnished, because on the off-chance it had been picked up, the producers were aware that male protagonists in 1990s genre shows needed all that space and all those props to brood effectively while they contemplated what they'd learned that week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

Edit: Just saw this!

http://doctorwho.io9.com/peter-capaldi-turned-down-the-chance-to-audition-for-th-1660362414/+charliejane

Apparently Capaldi was asked to audition for the TV Movie but turned it down because he was afraid (rightly so) that the "American" pilot would be a one off and not up to snuff. He loved the show so much he only wanted to do it if it was being done right and for a long term.

Host: "But think of all the Big Finish you'd have done by now!" :haw:

We're so lucky to have Peter Capaldi :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

We're so lucky to have Peter Capaldi :)

You mean the Doctor.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hey Doctor What, what is your tumblr internet URL address?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

It had to be big and opulently furnished, because on the off-chance it had been picked up, the producers were aware that male protagonists in 1990s genre shows needed all that space and all those props to brood effectively while they contemplated what they'd learned that week.

10 years later we'd find all that's needed is a rooftop in Cardiff...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought I would just pop in here and share this video. Has this been shared here already? I get a kick out of this guys impression of Patrick Troughton and his Capaldi isn't too drat shabby either. He really nails the Second Doctor though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGz7LXZokg

Really makes me want more situations where the Doctor encounters earlier and future versions of himself, like with what happened in Time Crash.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Hey Doctor What, what is your tumblr internet URL address?

bright-coat-and-bravado dot tumblr dot com

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The shapeshifting penguin would be loving terrible on the television show, it's the kind of thing that only works in a comic-strip format and if used incredibly sparingly in the audio format.

We know this for a fact because the shapeshifting robot didn't work on the show :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gordon Shumway posted:

We know this for a fact because the shapeshifting robot didn't work on the show :v:

OK to be entirely fair, that robot killed a lot of people.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

OK to be entirely fair, that robot killed a lot of people.

It just keeps killing. It even got Craig Hinton as recently as 2006. Paul Cornell had better watch his back after Circular Time, is what I'm saying.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

bright-coat-and-bravado dot tumblr dot com

Followed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

To be fair that was down to the longstanding tradition of BBC props people not understanding they're really side characters in a Pertwee-era story, creating some amazing new technological innovation and then dying before telling anybody how it works.

Plus the equally longstanding tradition of the Doctor Who production team going,"Well it's not feasible considering our budget and level of expertise... but let's give it a go anyway!"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
How much better would Let's Kill Hitler and all of Series 6 been if they had had Kamelion instead of the Teselecta?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I thought I would just pop in here and share this video. Has this been shared here already? I get a kick out of this guys impression of Patrick Troughton and his Capaldi isn't too drat shabby either. He really nails the Second Doctor though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGz7LXZokg

Really makes me want more situations where the Doctor encounters earlier and future versions of himself, like with what happened in Time Crash.

His Capaldi impression starts slipping with longer lines but it's still pretty good. His dialogue is slightly more Tuckerian than in the show too. Shuttity up :haw:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jng2058 posted:

I wouldn't be so concerned. Moffat and company pay attention to what the fans say. They don't always agree or do what we say we want, I grant you, but they do know what we say. And virtually everyone has said how much they love the Gomez Master. They'd be fools not to use her again.

We should also recall that, in general, each Doctor gets one Master to bounce off of. If the Master regenerates he usually does so off screen between Doctors. So Three got Delgado, Four got decrepit skin cancer Master, Five through Seven got Ainley, we don't talk about who Eight got, Ten got three glorious minutes of Jacobi then Simm, while One, Two, Nine, and Eleven never got a Master at all.

Therefore, I'd suspect that Gomez will be Capaldi's Master all the way through. It'd shock me if she didn't get at least one more appearance before the end of Capaldi's run. Hell, given the costuming and the increased importance of UNIT making Capaldi;s time hearken back to Pertwee, we might even get a lot more Gomez Master showing up and loving things up for the Doctor. Maybe not every episode like in Pertwee's time, but more than once a season? I could see it.

Particularly since Moffat's gotta know by now exactly how awesome it is whenever you get Gomez and Capaldi on the same screen together!

This reminds me, I've never actually seen Delgado or the Master at all in the classic show. I've seen every episode since the show returned in 2005, but my exposure to Who before that conists of An Unearthly Child, a handful of Tom Baker serials, and the terrible mid '90s TV movie.

What would you guys recommend as the best Master centered serials in the classic show? The Master's been my favorite iconic Doctor Who adversary even though The End of Time kinda sucked and I'd like to get a bit of a feel for how the character was handled then.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 19, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Terror of the Autons is his first story and a very good introduction, though there are bits of it that are pretty embarrassing to watch now effects wise (plus the Doctor's closing line about,"Well won't we have such fun adventures together with the murderer!"). I'm a big fan of The Daemons as being a great Pertwee story, a great Master story, AND a great UNIT story too.

Frontier in Space is his last story (sadly he died before they could film the follow-up story) and so long as you don't watch it all at once (capture, escape, recapture, reescape, etc) it still stands up pretty well too, in my opinion.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 19, 2014

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I watched Terror of the Autons and I loved it so much I just started watching all the Pertwee serials period. From that point on many of them have the Master in them anyway.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Never change, DWM.

http://i.imgur.com/OtQAXqf.jpg

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

So just when I was warming back up to Moffat, he has to go and say poo poo like this:

Bad form, Moffat. BAD FORM.

In fairness, Moffat's also said that he thinks the master is rubbish. Badmouthing Frobisher just confirms that he'll be in the christmas special.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

How can the moon both be housing a weather control machine and a baby dragon

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

You've unearthed a continuity error that could shake the very foundations of this franchise.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Acne Rain posted:

It also houses a teleport control centre, after humanity has lost interest in exploring space - again!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Acne Rain posted:

How can a pregnant woman carry a backpack???

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Quick reviews…I will do them proper down the road, but I keep getting distracted by the new “World of Warcraft” expansion. Garrisons are addicting…

X X X X X

Psychodrome – What Four to Doomsday should have been, a chance to let the four person TARDIS crew breathe a bit. Suffers from a very basic story, a LOT of callbacks to previous serials that would have worked had this serial been released in 1981 rather than 2014, and Matthew Waterhouse sounding VERY different. Still, enjoyable and slides nicely between Castrovalva and Four to Doomsday.

Iterations of I – If John Carpenter had written a Doctor Who story, this one would probably be the closest to it - an examination of numbers as primal beings. Very atmospheric, very chilling, although a bit technobabbly in the third act.

The Fifth Doctor Box Set is worth the pick up if you’re a fan of Five, and worth the pick up during a sale if you’re a Big Finish fan.

Cuddlesome – Five vs. an army of Furbies/Teddy Ruxpin’s. Only an hour long, free on Soundcloud, and perhaps the best one-off companion ever. “You believe me?” “No, Doctor, but like you said I’ve been drinking.”

Peri and the Piscon Paradox – The first Companion Chronicle I’ve ever heard. Only halfway through it, and so far I’m enjoying the hell out of it. It’s definitely interesting enough for me to look into other acclaimed Chronicles. I was turned off at first by the “companion only” style, but Nicola Bryant dives right into it. It’s almost like a first-person audiobook, and tells a story from the companion’s point of view. The way Peri sees Five is very amusing.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The other half of Piscon Paradox is brilliant. Then it gutpunches you near the end. Then your van skids on ice and rolls over a few times.

No, wait, that was just my experience with Peri and the Piscon Paradox. I'm never going to forget that drat audio story because it could have been the last thing I ever heard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Jesus, dude. Glad you're alright.

In other news, I'll be putting up the Secret Santa details later on. I'm trying a new thing, so we'll see how that goes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

The other half of Piscon Paradox is brilliant. Then it gutpunches you near the end. Then your van skids on ice and rolls over a few times.

No, wait, that was just my experience with Peri and the Piscon Paradox. I'm never going to forget that drat audio story because it could have been the last thing I ever heard.

Hell of a way to go out. Glad you're ok!

The_Doctor posted:

Jesus, dude. Glad you're alright.

In other news, I'll be putting up the Secret Santa details later on. I'm trying a new thing, so we'll see how that goes.

Is it a round thing? I love the round things!

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Jerusalem posted:

The Divergent Universe arc allegedly ended early because Big Finish was concerned about potential new listeners attracted by the revival of the television series finding themselves in the midst of the weird goings-on of the Doctor's adventures in a universe without linear time.
The whole "universe without linear time" thing never really convinced me, because 99% of the time they were landing on planets with day/night cycles, where species are born, grow old and die, where events progress in a linear fashion, where the past is "something that happened and people remember" and the future is "something that hasn't happened that people have no memory of".

The Creed of the Kromon is really the only story that addresses this issue, albeit with some inconsistency. The inhabitants of Bortresoye apparently have no concept of time, despite overwhelming evidence that linear time exists. The Doctor suggests that the Divergent universe has normal linear time but it's impossible to travel backwards and forwards within it. Beyond these throwaway references I don't really recall anything from any story that played upon these concepts to any significant degree. Unless I'm overlooking something obvious? It's been almost 10 years since I listened to these particular plays.

It sounds like Big Finish had a writer's meeting where everyone thought that a universe without linear time would make a good basis for a season or two but no one really stepped up to do anything of any consequence with the concept.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sonance posted:

The whole "universe without linear time" thing never really convinced me, because 99% of the time they were landing on planets with day/night cycles, where species are born, grow old and die, where events progress in a linear fashion, where the past is "something that happened and people remember" and the future is "something that hasn't happened that people have no memory of".

The Creed of the Kromon is really the only story that addresses this issue, albeit with some inconsistency. The inhabitants of Bortresoye apparently have no concept of time, despite overwhelming evidence that linear time exists. The Doctor suggests that the Divergent universe has normal linear time but it's impossible to travel backwards and forwards within it. Beyond these throwaway references I don't really recall anything from any story that played upon these concepts to any significant degree. Unless I'm overlooking something obvious? It's been almost 10 years since I listened to these particular plays.

It sounds like Big Finish had a writer's meeting where everyone thought that a universe without linear time would make a good basis for a season or two but no one really stepped up to do anything of any consequence with the concept.

Yeah, it wasn’t until they decided to start wrapping the story arc up that they even touched upon the concept of “non-linear time.” And it boiled down to “the universe is on a repeating loop.” So there IS the passage of time, it’s just that people don’t quite UNDERSTAND the passage of time. Neat idea, but not really executed and explained in a rush.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Non-linear time simply doesn't work for storytelling. Every once in a while some story will have a character that experiences time all at once. Technically The Doctor does this, but it's downplayed a bit. Usually this character amounts to little more than getting their tenses confused, forgetting whether or not they've met you, and being "unable to see past some haze" to add tension to the plot.

An entire universe with non-linear time is just ill formed and wouldn't work for storytelling at all. The only way I can think of to make it work is to write some extremely pretentious artsy book where you write your story and then shuffle all the sentences.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

Non-linear time simply doesn't work for storytelling.

Counterpoint: Memento.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Counterpoint: literally every good time travel story ever written, including massive amounts of Doctor Who?

Did we ever find out whose TARDIS the Doctor stole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Hell of a way to go out. Glad you're ok!

I'm reminded of what John Peel used to say about himself.

quote:

I've always imagined I'd die by driving into the back of a truck while trying to read the name on a cassette and people would say, 'He would have wanted to go that way.'

Well, I want them to know that I wouldn't.

• Locked thread