Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aaaa that episode was loving amazing! Capaldi is the best Doctor ever, he's such a dick. And Clara is actually interesting this series.

And it was one of the ones where I could guess about things and then they happened and I could feel clever.

Also nice to see we're back to a big huge thread for the series.

Also also I see the thing Moffat was trying to terrify children about this series is nothing at all. That man is a menace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, and the Doctor blocking Clara's door from opening fully was great. And him stealing the coffee. And looking for Wally. I think I like him even more than Smithdoc.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

So who wrote "listen" on the chalkboard?

The hiding thing. I don't care what anyone says, there was definitely a Thing. Gonna call him Wally.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, but the young Doctor thing was dumb. Don't want anyone thinking I liked that bit. Leave Time Lord childhoods alone, we don't want to hear it. Just let them be mysterious and unknown.

e: also yeah, I'd like to know what this edited thing was too please

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, they were still pretty ambiguous about whether there was a "thing" at all or not.

I think we need a poll on whether there's a thing. I believe in the thing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Got it. What the Doctor needs is a second companion, then he can insult them both and it'll be less like he's just picking on Clara. Just needs a bit of dilution so he's quite rude to two people rather than very rude to one. Hell, he should get out his phone-book and insult every one of his companions ever, one by one.

Also if the thing in the bedroom was another kid, no wonder their parents left them there, they were gently caress-ugly. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

Has it ever been established why The Doctor took such a liking to Earth and hangs out there more often than not? I know he protects anyone he can, but this place seems to have taken a special place in his heart.

Because it's cheaper to film there. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ahaha, look at this stupid thing I found poking around on some other wiki. Thanks, article about toothbrushes!
http://dwexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Expanded

Here, have a sample.

quote:

During the time it took for the time lords to arrive, the war Doctor fell into a coma, where he met his previous incarnations, the first seven who where ganging up on his preceding incarnation. When they threatened to unite to stop the current Doctor, this incarnation laughed and attacked after proclaiming them weak. He locked the Seventh Doctor in a room inhabited by all those he wronged, the Fifth he chained in a vault within a vault within a vault at the very depths of his mind, the First he literally beat to death, the Sixth he tortured by stabbing him repeatedly in the face, the Second he dissected, the Third he forced to be experimented on by humans, and the Fourth he shot at with a machine gun, while Eight ran away in fear. Upon awakening, he proclaimed"Doctor no more", saying that all of them were gone.

Oh, have the toothbrush article too. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Toothbrush

I hope this project for a new wiki some of you guys were talking about goes well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, I have a soft spot for the "weird alien just wants to be reunited with his ladyfriend" stories. :3:

Loved all the cheesy stuff as well. Not tremendously groundbreaking but I'm a sucker for teamwork heist thingies. Ocean's 4 I guess? :v:

e: also Capaldi is the best Doctor

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Do yourself a favor, never look up Cymothoa exigua and pray that Moffat never does either :ohdear:

What's the matter, cat fish got your tongue?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A monster that reacts to heartbeats. Also with very good hearing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

OH MY GOD IT's OLLIE REEDER I forgot Chris Addison had been announced as being in this series. That thing with Missy or whatever seems to have more potential to go somewhere interesting now that there seems to be an organisation as opposed to just one lone person.

Anyway, I liked that episode. Was a bit like The Lodger in places I thought. Couple more good scenes like that and Capaldi is definitely going to overtake Smith as my favourite Doctor. Also Danny's flip was awesome, and the kid was pretty great as well.

Also I loved how loud and dumb and clanky that robot was. :3: He looked so daft just sailing off into space in the end. How does he even propel himself in space?

e: also also Space Dad

McDragon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 28, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Basically the robot in this was like the Iron Giant. Military force would make it go postal and also wouldn't be able to stop it. So yeah, soldiers and stuff equals bad for keeping the planet intact this episode.

fake edit: ha ha, he even flies into space in the end.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I kind of like him as a "wow this guy is a huge dick but he's very fun to watch" more than anything. Really, he's quite Tuckeresque. Really very Malchiavellian.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that was a very silly episode. What happened to all the tronspiders? Can bacteria survive in space?

I liked the funny bits, but yeah, on the whole the episode was just kind of there. Oh, but the Doctor's face after he said the Moon was an egg was excellent. Oh, and also the overly dramatic run down the corridor, hair blowing majestically around was funny. I don't think it was meant to be though. Basically I liked the comedic bits, the serious bits were just impossible to take seriously. Except the bust-up at the end, that was actually quite effective.

Also it was loving hilarious that while they were having a big old chat on the beach they missed the mooncritter laying an egg.

Hope Daleks or something attack the Earth and get chomped by a baby space dragon later. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

By the by, I could have sworn blind that "moon is actually an egg" is a pretty common mythological motif, but I can't seem to find anything with a quick google. Anyone?

That made me half-remember a couple of things so I had a quick google myself, found some reviews of the episode, some nutty conspiracy theorists, and a lot of asking for help in Harvest Moon. There seem to be quite a few moons that are eggs scattered about in mythology and media, but none about the Earth's moon that I could find. Oh, tons of evil moons as well.

fake edit: oh, realised the main one I was thinking of was Legend of Dragoon, an old old RPG. I am a huge nerd.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I keep meaning to mention it, but I loved the Doctor's little speech about not killing Hitler. I forgot entirely what it was, but I just remember I liked it. It made me laugh.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quite liked that one. The Clara/Doctor thing got resolved a bit quickly I think (in terms of she was mad at him at the start and by the end they were all happy again) but I liked that she just shoved all the blame there on to Danny. That made me laugh.

Gonna have to look up who played Perkins, because he's great but I can never remember his name. I want to say Frank something, but not sure.

Also the mummy moved exactly like something else I can't recall. I think it was another Doctor Who baddy though. Oh, I liked the clock gimmick as well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Looke posted:

Frank Skinner

Barry Foster posted:

Frank Skinner, stand-up comedian, media personality and massive Doctor Who fan.

Ah yes, thanks. I should really just watch the credits I guess but I'm one of those people who has to turn off before the previews.

Also I realised today there's been a lot of times this series where the Doctor has lied to everyone to throw off the baddies. Like pretending to abandon Clara in Deep Breath and the suicide thing in Time Heist and I think a couple more with a bit of mental gymnastics. Actually, thinking about it, I think he's lied in every episode so far. Did Eleven lie this much? I can't remember. I know he did a bit.

Also also I found out what the mummy reminded me of. The mummy in The Rings of Akhaten. I guess he just remembered his clothes this time. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I liked Flatliners. Took me long enough to get round to watching it though. I laughed so hard when Clara pulled the sledgehammer out of her bag. They should do clown car gags with the Tardis more often. And then the Thing bit where the Doctor is scrabbling around. Oh, the pi bit as well. The funny bits were great in this.

Thought the monsters were pretty interesting too. I missed what the Doctor named them though. It's nice to have completely different things sometimes, along with predictable things like the Daleks.

Anyway, give that Mathieson guy some more episodes to write if this and last week is the sort of thing he comes up with.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that one. Nothing much happened (well, apart from panthers and wolves and tigers and solar flares) but it was a nice look at the characters. Plus a lot of the effects were very pretty.

And there's always something funny about things where the characters basically have no effect on anything and everything turns out fine.

But the plan to burn paths through the forest? The forest covering the planet? gently caress me, what kind of idiot would think of that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh! I've got a handwavy sort of reason why the Doctor didn't go out and do a thing to save the planet. At the time he thinks the trees are out to kill everybody, and if he stopped that presumably they'd come up with a different method of killing everyone. And he'd already decided trees were unbeatable.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my lord they loving went there. :asoiaf: They made that so obvious with the Missy scenes throughout the series I was sure it was a red herring. They hid that in plain sight pretty excellently.

I worked out it was Cybermen just before the reveal of Cybermen. That made me sad, Cybermen are rubbish. But when I worked out who Missy was (you know, as she was spelling it out), it was the exact opposite reaction. I can't stop smiling. And now she has people to actually interact with she actually seems quite interesting. She's ridiculous in all the right ways. Wanna see how she interacts with Capaldi now. He was great in this too. As usual.

Now please don't let the Cybermen gently caress this up. And make sure the Doctor meets Seb.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, reading this, Missy is a downright subtle choice for an alias. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Aliases_of_the_Master

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

OH MY GOD IT'S NICK FROST :neckbeard:

Rest of episode, Cybermen poo poo and also now Iron Mans, Danny turned into a real rear end in a top hat when he died, and the Master was great. Bet she was driving the car. Also not dead, like a lovely worthless Cyberman is going to do anything.

Also I liked that Clara and the Doctor both lied to each other one last time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also that skydive was the best loving thing. Capaldi for next James Bond too please.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah the Master had a pretty great plan this time. And all for a birthday present.

What did the suicide thingies look like in Time Heist again? They were blue but did they look like that?

fake edit: ha, and I just had a vision of this episode as done by RTD and the Cybermen are doing the Gangnam Style dance.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I see Clara decided to move to Cardiff.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I think it would be cool to have a companion thats not a pretty girl from modern day London next season. Maybe a spaceman from the future. Who is named Jack Harkness.

Yeah, and Jack should have been practicing a new sort of combat. Like, say, archery.

Also now that the series is over I'm reading through the spoiler thread and this post tickled me.

Burkion posted:

Please for the love of God actually give them a good story this time. That doesn't end with them all blowing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I quite liked Danny for most of the season, but he was just a dick in this episode. I guess being run over and then put into a robot exoskeleton would probably make anyone act like a dick though.

• Locked thread