Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

In a clever twist, the horror of this episode is the horror of the awkward first date.

The Ambassadors... OF AWKWARDNESS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

This is an entirely different type of dream for young Mr. Pink.

I was just thinking, this better not get all yewtree.

Edit to add: If these things ever team up with the weeping angels they will be unstoppable. And/or a hilarious buddy comedy.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 13, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't call it scary, but I love the odd atmosphere and sense that everything is just slightly off.

I'd say its creepy rather than scary. Its also disjointed as hell, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And thats how Clara met the master.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Potsticker posted:

How else do you expect him to chop open Daleks?

Who was the Jenny people were talking about just before the episode aired? Something about Moffat asking her not to get killed off?

To anyone who doubts the chainsword, think on this; of all the people we have seen the Daleks kill, 100% of them have not been using a chainsword.

Jenny is a female clone based on the doctors genetic material from the episode "The Doctors Daughter", during Tennants run. I would say check it out, but frankly its not a great episode so you might just want to read a synopsis. Anyway, the original concept had her dying in the episode, but apparently Moffat asked if that could be changed (he wasnt showrunner at this point) so she survives. She has made zero appearences and been mentioned zero times since then, so I think people just wonder why he bothered having it changed. Personally I think he had half formed ideas that just never panned out into a fully formed story so hes just left her out there for some future writer to pick up on (or not, its not like her surviving means that she HAS to encounter the doctor again).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I enjoyed the episode overall. It was a structural mess, I am completely sure that they came up with 2 creepy scenes and the visit to gallifrey and then just strung together some connections between them. But the creepy scenes were creepy, the character interactions were good, andI just enjoyed it. If anything I wish it was a part one, and part two would be dealing with the thing under the blanket.

Because I remain convinced that there was a creature of some description rather than "it was a prank". The chalk, the "listen" on the chalkboard, that scene... Sure it COULD be the doctor moving stuff around and forgetting it, but to me it read like a set up for an episode where the scary creature was actually just scared and needed the doctors help (like The Doctor Dances). A creature evolved for "hiding"* wouldnt necessarily be a threat because killing would draw attention. I am open to the possiblity that later in the series we'll revisit some of the stuff from this episode and, while never seeing the thing under the blanket, find out what they are hiding from. Of course theres a very good chance that I'm completely wrong.

*Or as we call it when creature have evolved to be excellent hiders "camouflage".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Slowpoke! posted:

Pretty good episode. I can see why some people would be upset about Clara getting woven even deeper into the Doctor's timeline, though.

I get that in the course of being the Doctor's companion they are presenting with a lot more opportunities to be exceptional and act heroically, but he does have a point. I'm pretty sure all of them were, at some point, referred to as the most important person in the universe by the Doctor. Martha, the one who ends up being the most normal of the bunch, still ends up traveling the world on her own to save the Doctor and ends up being a Torchwood operative.

The doctor has never met anyone who wasnt important. Thats kind of part of his whole deal.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Random Stranger posted:

Doesn't an independent Scotland mean that the BBC has to cut the budget on all shows by a quarter? :v:

Chances are that some sort of deal would be made that the scots continue to pay the license fee and continue to get BBC programmes, with a certain percentage made in scotland with predomantly scottish actors/crew (Much like already happens with BBC Scotland). If anything it would help the BBC out because screwing over the BBC is less of a priority for scottish conservatives than it seems to be for the london party. Of course any or all of this could be wrong, and in any case depends on there being a yes vote today which is pretty much a 50/50 shot at this stage.

Besides, if they do cut the budget of doctor who by a quarter it will make very little difference, three quarters of gently caress all is still gently caress all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

Listen, pal, I will personally be very upset if they suddenly have to cut down on the CG for remaking fan videos for the intro.

If they had told me that voting yes would mean they'd have to remove the loving clocks from the opening credits of who I'd have voted twice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Evil Sagan posted:

Those clocks and Capaldi's performances are the only good things about this season thus far.

I will literally fight you. Over the clocks that is, Capaldi has been aces for me so far too. If they got rid of the clocks the new credits would be merely "Kind of bad". With the clocks they pretty much look like they belong to a mid budget CBBC show from the mid 90s. The fact that they didnt even come up with the idea themselves but licensed the not at all cliched "Clocks in the credits for a time travel show" from a fan video is frankly embarrassing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So which of the two do we reckon will turn up in missys garden?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"What do you think of the new look? I was hoping for minimalism and I think I got magician"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I enjoyed that for a more actiony episode, and I thought the shapeshifter and the decker seemed reasonably well written, I'm glad he recruited them and not the paternoster gang.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rochallor posted:

I really liked the cyberpunks in this episode. Wouldn't mind seeing them again. Apparently I remain the only person on the face of the earth to remain a fan of the Paternosters, so between the cyberpunks, Paternosters, and Cleopatra and the hunter guy from that one episode, there have been a lot of nice part-time companions.

I liked the episode, though it wasn't particularly great. It moved along at a good enough pace and with all the heist-y stuff it was nice to have an emotional conclusion.

I'm on the record as still liking the paternosters, but having had them in the first episode this would definately have been too soon for a reappearance.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heft posted:

And it's difficult to think the Doctor would have so misunderstood what the "escape plan" devices were - and also how did the two get back into the bank, much less disguised as those two guards

This I dont have a problem with; He designed the devices to look like suicide devices to fool himself. If the other robbers had known they were teleport devices they might have been tempted to use them to just leave, or when the situation was savable. Similarly I would assume a ship that could teleport them up would teleport them back down, she touches an isolated guard to duplicate him and bops him on the head, steals his uniform, repeat to get second uniform. While you would think that they would have systems in place that, for example, set off an alarm when someone is knocked out I personally am willing to accept that there is a limit to how impossible to beat the security at a fictional bank can be allowed to be when you are writing a story about beating the security.

Edit: I skipped a whole bunch of pages after the last episode aired, did anyone mention that the TV reviewer in the Metro thought that last week implied that Danny Pink was a future incarnation of the doctor because the young doctor was given the toy soldier and because he hadnt been paying attention?

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 21, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not sure what you've been "right" or "wrong" ABOUT. I don't think I've yet raised any disagreement with you on any matter other than your petty insults. What are your actual POSITIONS, other than "jokes about posters"? What "substantive comments" do you think I ought to address?

You do realise if you engage with the oval office we have have to put up with it, right?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

One watch to rule them all...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If Clara leaves then I vote Courtney "Disruptive Influence" Woods as new companion.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Theres an advert on UK TV at the moment (I dont know if something similar is airing elsewhere but its Disney, so I assume so) for holidays at one of the disney parks. Probably Eurodisney. Its trying to encourage parents of teenagers to take them to Disney. Imagery like a teenage girl (who looks to be about 20 so I kind of assumed its an american ad with a new voiceover because US stuff always has teenagers played by 20 year olds) getting a text message from a boyfirend and then rolling over in bed to hug her teddy. Its marginally more subtle than having mickey shout "Feel like your children are growing apart from you and becoming adults and find that upsetting and scary? Remind them that they are still really children and buy their love back with a disney holiday!" directly down the camera, but only marginally.

That is kind of the vibe I'm getting from the doctor for the last couple of episodes. That was my interpretation of last episodes "Beat that for a date" line. Some people got "Jealous exboyfriend", but I got "How can she rather go the cinema with this boy than watch a DVD with the family? We took her to disneyland!".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Basically Clara seems to be in the growing apart stage of the Doctor/companion relation, and it kind of mirrors the 3rd Doctor/Jo relationship at the moment. Ironically, those old stories were 6 episodes long and yet Jo didn't start growing apart till her last ever story.

Well, I guess its true what they say, they grow up so fast these days.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PoshAlligator posted:

Slam me for linking to TVTropes but here's a TVTropes link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CelestialBureaucracy

It'd be enough of a twist for me if it's not really the afterlife though.

You do realise this is doctor who, right? Of course its not the afterlife and missy isnt god. I kind of assumed that went without saying. She is technobabbling their minds at the point of death in order to do something later in the season. The cop was given the afterlife explaination because hes a human from early 21st century earth, its probably easier for him to accept that than "Your brain is now in a computer because you died" or whatever the explaination turns out to be.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

So it was done in a joking fashion, but they've introduced the idea now that the Doctor doesn't know if his new regeneration cycle is a "standard" one or if he really is functionally immortal now.

I think thats for the best; Leaving it open ended. If a future showrunner wants to have a "This is his last regeneration!" drama they can, without being forced into it by an offhand line 20 years previously.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sighence posted:

Damnit Courtney you're on the goddamned moon with unicellular spiders on a TARDIS and you're bored?

I know Who-watching requires a lot of suspension of disbelief but come on.

Lets be fair; if the gravity on the moon is earth gravity then basically you are in a quarry. Which is fortunate for the producers in this instance.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For the record if there was no moon there would still be tides, just much smaller ones.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Striking Yak posted:

The decision presented was "should we blow up this thing we only learned existed an hour ago and re-form the Moon, or risk the survival of the entire human race?". How is that even a discussion? Blow up the space dragon. Clara essentially decided to genocide the entirety of humanity.

And that "my granny used to post on Tumblr" line doesn't really make sense if it was 2049. Astronaut lady looked ~40, so she was born in, say, 2010 to be generous. So her mother would've been born, at the very earliest, in the mid-late 90s. Grandma was on Tumblr before it even existed?

I know people alive today whose grannies post on tumblr. People dont have to be born after a thing in order to use that thing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just wait until the season finale when Danny Pink is taken into the distant past with the doctor, critically wounded and has a black plastic alien device implanted in him to save his life.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Burkion posted:

You know, all pretense aside, I would love it if the Doctor had to deal with something truly, honestly supernatural some time.

Counterpoint; I would absolutely hate it. Now, there isnt any practical difference between "The baddie has made up science powers" and "the baddie has magic powers" but for me it would totally go against the theme of the show.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"They are from a universe with only two dimensions, and yes that is a thing."

Chucat posted:

This is too scary for me.

Traditionally, this means you should watch it from behind the couch.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just watched the episode there, and it wasnt good. I've generally thought this season has ranged from poor (the Caretaker, kill the moon)to okay but forgetable (Deep Breath, Enter the Dalek) to good (Flatline, Mummy on the orient express), but that was the first one for me that I've thought was out and out bad.

I think part of it was that there were so many parts where I thought "Oh, this should be interesting!" that came to nothing. When the caretaker at the museum flubbed the security code and they opened the doors to the forest I thought maybe it was going to be that the alarm was some weird technology that had opened a door to a future london abandoned to the forests, but no. When they made a big show of the doctor being asked about the little girl I thought clara was going to respond "But there was no child called that on this trip!" or something, but no. There were sinister figures in heatproof suits with flamethrowers... who did nothing. There were wolves and a tiger... who did nothing. That whole section with the girl running away and them catching up with her could have been cut with the firefly scene happening outside the tardis and nothing of value would have been lost. They spent about half the episode setting up a little red riding hood motif that was then just forgotten about entirely.

The (hopefully unintentional) message of "Hey kids, hearing voices is fine, you dont need medication" was troubling, mental health issues carry enough of a stigma without a hugely popular family show having the main character basically say "You people, why do you always medicate away the voices" or words to that effect.

Also; Clara is a loving dreadful teacher. Even before the "We'll take the kids home so they can die with their parents rather than save them" bit, every time we see her with a class she is loving awful. Probably more grating for me because I'm a teacher, but it annoys me every time they have set stuff in the school this season. From the lack of control of her classes, to the lack of interest she has in her pupils to the blatant breach of data protection.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Autonomous Monster posted:

"Atlantis"? Is that any good?

Not really. Not awful, some good actors in it. Quality wise maybe on a par with merlin or robin hood, neither of which I particularly liked.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A bunch of pages ago people were speculating what "I like his accent, I think I'll keep it" meant from Missy in the context that she is the master. Isnt it just as simple as pointing out that both the Doctor and the Master/Missy are both currently played by scottish actors?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm just slightly sad that Cyberman Danny will never meet Auton Rory.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

First president of earth is Scottish. Someone stop Moffats sinister scottish agenda!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cyberman in graveyard found in unending stand off with graveside stone angel.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This episode is balls out insane. I'm not 100% sure it makes any actual sense, but I'm enjoying the ride!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Calling it, thats not a weapon, its a teleporter.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, I was not expecting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've got to say, I found Dannys faceplateless cyber helmet so reminiscent of Heimdals helmet in thor that I cant remember Dannys speech at all. I'm trying, but I keep coming up with Elbas "Today we are cancelling the apocalypse" speech from pacific rim.

• Locked thread