Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't particularly care about this character I've never heard of, but I do like that they seem to be increasingly accepting the other media into the TV show. It's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I think I created a new fan yesterday:

My cat stares at the TV anytime the theme song plays. Then looks at me like "What the Hell was that?" Every time.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

So I bought The Juggernauts from Big Finish since it's cheap this month. I'm expecting greatness, given Colin Baker and Terry Molloy. How well does it stand up to Davros? It's the first Mel audio I'll be listening to, as well. So that, if nothing else, should be interesting.

Also, I'm very sorry to hear about Maggie Stables. I've only heard a few stories with her, and watched the "Real Time" web cartoon on Youtube (Which, by the way, was an odd story, but worth a watch), but she was definitely awesome.

edit

Occupation is Doctor Who's Best Fan

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I liked The Juggernauts well enough, but it's nowhere close to Davros. Mel's as solid as she usually is in audio, and Baker and Molloy turn in their usual great work. The story's just very blah. It does feel right out of Six's TV era, with all the Saward and Levine elements in place.

Okay, that sounds fine by me. I doubt there are many stories as good as Davros, and the weirdness of Six's TV era is at least interesting to me, if not good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

WILL THE DOCTOR AND HIS COMPANIONS ESCAPE CERTAIN BOOM?!
CAN JACK HARKNESS AND CO AVOID THE HORRIBLE FATE OF BECOMING BAKED COUCH POTATOES?
HOW WILL MARTHA JONES AND HER FRIENDS AVOID BEING ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE HYPNOTIC BOOB TUBE?!

TUNE IN TOMORROW! SAME WHO-TIME, SAME WHO-CHANNEL!

Well, now I just want The Second Doctor to team up with Adam West's Batman to defeat Michael Gough's The Celestial Toymaker.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I just finished listening to it recently. It's.... okay. You will be shocked, SHOCKED I say, to hear that Colin Baker and Terry Molloy are the best parts of it, and that both give excellent performances.

Davros made me want a weekly show where they argue with each other over anything that bothers one another. I'm pretty sure that even if it was terrible, I would like anything with both of them. Basically, I want them to star in "The Odd Couple." But with genocide occasionally, to keep it in character.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

... So did everyone miss the post I made about Maggie Stables suggesting in an interview that Evelyn should be made a fan of pot brownies?

Because it's the sort of thing that I feel warrants SOME attention :420:

I know I'd have to be high to try and hang out with the Doctor. Otherwise, I'd probably be miserable and be all like "Why the Hell are we hanging out with a shape-shifting penguin-man?" If I were high, I"m sure no questions would be asked.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

They sell Jammy Dodgers at my local Dollar Tree. I haven't felt compelled to try them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

So "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" is a crazy serial. If it weren't for all the weird racism, it'd pretty much be a perfect story. Tom Baker seems to be ahving a lot of fun in it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CobiWann posted:

While The Holy Terror is one of the best audios Big Finish ever put out, the sudden turn from comic farce to dark horror probably threw a lot of listeners off. And then you add “talking penguin out of nowhere…” Casual listeners and some more dedicated fans probably had no idea who Frobisher was, and the idea of a large flightless bird travelling with the Sixth Doctor without any setup or backstory added up to, sadly, no more Frobisher, save for The Maltese Penguin.

As for The Talons of Weng-Chiang, it’s one of the best Fourth Doctor stories, and I can almost (ALMOST, it’s still very much there and I’m not starting a derail) get past the casual racism thanks to the commentary. “Do you know how HARD it was to find a Chinese actor in 1970’s England?” The atmosphere, the sci-fi elements, the tension (I love the “chase” in the backstage area), and the secondary characters being such an utter delight. If anything, it’s the cheesiness of the giant sewer rat that throws me off the most in this story.

Holy Terror and The Maltese Penguin own really hard. They're really funny (and in Holy Terror sometimes very creepy) and great. More Frobisher would be awesome.

Talons is amazing, and Jago and Litefoot definitely deserve that Big Finish Spin-off they have (Which I'm going to start buying Soon). I wish they'd show back up on the show instead of the lizard-lover-potatoman trio that keeps popping up. Who cares that they're 40 years older, just bring em back.

The racism just makes it difficult to recommend, which is terrible because otherwise the writing/acting/directing is Incredible.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 16, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Anyone hoping for a Multi-Master story with Simm and Gomez? I'd be down for that. (Also Beevers can show up if they want to include him. That'd rule. Roberts would never do it.)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Screw Simm - MacQueen, Beevers, and Gomez being obnoxious as a team would make my lifetime worthwhile.

Yeah, I'd love that, but it'll never happen. It's about as likely as Charley showing up. Both would rule, but I think the shout out to Eight's audio companions is as close as we're going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Burkion posted:

Why the gently caress are you guys throwing around so many bad Masters and leaving out Derek Jacobi?

You guys are the worst.

Yeah, that is my bad. Jacobi needs to be a part of any Multi-Master story. Hell, they could use it to explain why he ran away. And why he was a robot companion to the Doctor one time. No joke, if they referenced that, I would love it.

• Locked thread