Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
It's almost time for 2 Spooky 4 Me: Doctor Who edition. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Jsor posted:

So what you're saying is that the 27th Doctor is on track to be Doctor What.

All of his episodes are remakes of Six episodes with better special effects and props.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

J-Ru, this is INCREDIBLE.

I HAVE to go to Long Island Who this november, now, because both Colin and Terry Malloy are attending, and THIS MUST BE READ!

Wait, there's a Doctor Who convention in LI?

How have I never heard of this? :aaaaa:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Typing on the Wii U browser, stuff like that happens!

I remember the first time I saw a Homestuck troll, in any context. NYCC 2011. Just gaggles of candy-corn horns flooding the Javits Center food court. It was like a plauge, an INFESTATION. I had no idea what they were. It was terrifying.

I think I may have been Gumshoe that there. Weird we've been to the same con and generally seem to be in the same area, but never bumped into each other.

Or maybe we have? :tinfoil:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

That is your sanity, warning you.

These are the terrible things that must be fought.

I truly don't think anyone hates Homestuck more than its fanbase.

Speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

RE: Convention talk

I would go but 1: still in college and thus busy

2: I like to cosplay, and I don't have DOctor What's boyish good looks, so I'm at a loss for a costume unless I go as the Absorbaloff.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Sin creeps me the gently caress out, and is also the reason why I'm reluctant to watch Wang Chieng, so nice to see a little girl agrees with me. :rolleyes:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

My coat and cravat are cleaned, pants pressed, waistcoat washed, shirt stripped of stains…

NEW YORK COMIC CON, I AM READY FOR YOU!

And the one year I can't go due to having six classes in my roster :sigh:. Next year or the year after, I'm cosplaying as Daggeron and we're going out for drinks/hang out in general.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I got into the revival with Tennant but didn't start actively watching until Series 3, so yeah I feel super old.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

i turned 20 today, it was very satisfying.

also

OH GOD MY FEET, I NEED GEL PADS FOR THE NEXT 3 DAYS AND POSSIBLY FOREVER

also

Try having flat feet, kiddo! :stat:

Cons are torture but man oh man are they fun.

Happy birthday too, I guess.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Happy emerging fully formed from the Looms as a reincarnation of a mythical figure and founding father of your hyper-advanced society because a writer missed the entire point of what makes the Doctor the Doctor Day!

I... kind of like the idea of the Other and while I understand why people dislike it, I'm a big fan of those kind of mythologies. :blush:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god I started a debate by accident :ohdear:

Like I said, I love Chosen One mythology and stories, so The Other makes me appreciate the Doctor more, but I completely understand J-Ru's point that it makes the Doctor TOO special, and robs his "he could be YOU" appeal.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

It's a pretty unsubtle theme that the Doctor's monsters this seasons are either soldiers, have deteriorating immortality, or both.

Still, I don't think I've seen a theme this consistent in terms of antagonists EVER.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

CounterCrossPoint

Last loving episode, the monster might as well have been magic. They didn't even bother USING any science to try to explain it.

If I have to sit through a loving moon dragon, you can give me a proper supernatural threat.

I'm not asking for a elves even though we've already had them or pixies even though we've already had them, I'm just asking for Doctor Who to stop insisting that EVERYTHING weird as all hell like this is super sci fi.

It starts to read like a Scooby Doo script where all of the monsters are always fake even if it makes no sense. Which they've abandoned!

That last point is the most pertinent, I think. The sheer hoops gone through to connect EVERYTHING to science, no matter how contrived, has wasted valuable time and effort that could be put into polishing the episode's writing into a mirror sheen.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

drat you for having a fun time, SA user DoctorWhat! :arghfist::saddowns:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

because someone built a TARDIS for NYCC and I had the opportunity

You are the hero this thread deserves, but not the one it wants to associate itself with. :allears:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Whereas the Fifth and Tenth (and maybe Third? I've actually never seen Planet of Spiders) were able to hold off regenerating for an extended period.

Don't forget about Eleven, who might have held it off the longest.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I think what we need to realize about the whole hearing voices and medication thing is context. Yes, in an ordinary situation where someone is hearing voices and having nervous tics, you should give them medication.

When a alien scientist from a powerful race of psychics can scan someone's mind and determine that their disorder is helpful to saving the planet and was trauma based rather than a severe problem, that's another barrel of fish entirely.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I'm sorry I accidentally fanned the flames of this argument more. :blush:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

You think THAT'S a funny comparison?

In the latest Transformers cartoon and its associated universe (which includes the "X of Cybertron" games), Optimus Prime's backstory is LITERALLY the Cartmel Masterplan. Not even fuckin' joking.

The Other The Thirteenth Prime throws himself into The Loomworks The Well of All Sparks in order to be reincarnated as a "common" Gallifreyan Cybertronian.

I THOUGHT Orion Pax's backstory sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Note: I am the kind of person autistic enough to not actually WATCH things, just read their wiki pages when I'm bored.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

This is probably the nerdiest derail I've ever seen, and I post in the Homestuck thread!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Does God Complex count?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

CobiWann posted:

So I'm getting married tomorrow. What advice does the thread have for me?

Make sure she wasn't bred and raised to kill you!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Moffatfest 2K14 is starting :toot:

The Nethersphere gathers :black101:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Well... that's grim!

Given the premise of this episode, it'll take some twists and turns for it to be permanent.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Seeing Clara act so.... off is definitely giving me the willies.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

CALLED IT

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

The Master is sexier than ever

I want fanart of Missy wearing a Sexy Zombie Master costume.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

In retrospect, I just realized how similar this plan is to the thing with the Toclafane.

The Master shows up and uploads humans into a robotic body so that he/she can kill other humans.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I wonder how many women and fangirls now want to cosplay a deranged psychopath because she has pretty fashion sense?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Okay next time I'm going to NYCC, I decided my friend is gonna be Missy, and I'm gonna try being Ainley Master

"Hello, you." :smuggo:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

moths posted:

CyberAdric would make me a lot more optimistic about this season.

Cyber Adric would be AMAZING. And fitting, given how he died trying to fight the Cybermen in the first place.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I need that album in my life. :cawg:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

People keep saying Gallifrey Base is autistic, but I think that's an insult to autism. :downs:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I find it hilarious the Doctor's been president twice by a vote.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

My ex and me enjoyed watching Bad Education, which also has Michelle Gomez, so part of her zeal for this season was having Missy around, and was her favorite part of both parts of the finale.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

IN other audio related news, my ex's favorite Doctor's making a comeback!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-third-doctor-boxed-set

Big Finish News posted:

As announced in this month's Doctor Who Magazine (DWM), next year sees Big Finish revisiting a hugely popular era of Doctor Who...

The era of the Third Doctor will live again in brand new narrated full cast stories from Big Finish Productions. Doctor Who: The Third Doctor Adventures reunites Katy Manning as Jo Grant and Richard Franklin as Mike Yates, while Tim Treloar narrates and provides the voice of the Doctor.

“One thing we’ve learned at Big Finish is how effectively we can recreate past eras of past Doctor Who, even if key members of the cast are very sadly no longer with us,” says producer David Richardson. “As with our Early Adventures, these stories will authentically recreate the world of the Third Doctor, while paying tribute to the brilliant incarnation created by Jon Pertwee. We don’t see this as recasting the Doctor - Tim is playing the narrator, who in turn performs the Doctor’s dialogue - but the effect is so convincing that Katy was constantly praising his work during the recording.”

“It’s so wonderful to have Jon back in my life,” Katy tells DWM. “Tim has actually managed to be the closest you will ever get to having Jon back on audio.”

“Tim actually auditioned for this a few years ago, without us ever realising it,” says executive producer and director Nicholas Briggs. “When we recorded Destination Nerva, the first of our Fourth Doctor stories, Tim played a British army office from the Victorian era. Both Tom Baker and I commented that we thought he sounded like Jon, and that led to my casting him as the Third Doctor in our anniversary story The Light at the End. And now he’s back in two wonderfully typical Third Doctor stories…

“Tim put days and days of work into this before the recording. We sent him DVDs of old episodes which he watched again and again, and he had clips on his phone at the recording - so during every break he’d play it back. He was so totally dedicated to getting it right. He’d analysed Jon’s performance to the last detail, noting every tick and vocal inflection, and that pays off in a superb performance.”

Doctor Who: The Third Doctor Adventures box set will contain Prisoners of the Lake, an Earth-bound UNIT story by Justin Richards, and The Havoc of Empires, an outer space tale by Andy Lane, and will be released in October 2015. It is available at a special pre-order price from today.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The climactic scene in The World's End is so great. It's like something out of Who if the Doctor was drunk off his rear end at the time.

So if he was Tom Baker all the time? :cheeky:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

vegetables posted:

Wait, wasn't it established loads of times that without the Time Lock all those UNIMAGINABLE HORRORS would be unleashed on space and time? I don't know why I'm bothering asking this given how lax the show's internal logic always is.

The way I see it, the Time Lock Ten was raving about with the horrors of the Time War was when Gallifrey was still around, during the middle/end of the War. Meanwhile, this Gallifrey is one post War, where those creatures died off, naturally or otherwise. Since the Cracks appeared througjout time, we can assume Gallifrey's safe and sound and has been for billions of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Forktoss posted:

Speaking of, I've been reading Jean-Marc Lofficier's The Nth Doctor, which is a great account of all the dumb and ill-conceived Doctor Who movie projects people tried to get off the ground in the 1980s and 90s. It's a really fun read, even if it desperately tries to give a positive spin on all the ridiculous film ideas and hype up how great it would have been to see K-9 on the big screen. The only criticisms he comes up with are things like "the Time Lord President should have been called Pandak instead of Borusa", which, to be fair, is kind of expected from a mid-90s fan journal.

The book also has some utterly mad notes on the script summaries where Lofficier tries to reconcile all the unmade sequels, prequels and remakeboots not only with Classic Series continuity, but also with each other. Things just get more and more convoluted as the book goes on, and by the end he's up to about 17 pre-Hartnell Doctors and an explanation about how the Egyptian pharaoh Cheops was Ulysses and probably the Other too and also had a piece of the Key to Time, which he was given by the Fourth Doctor but that was later stolen by "the Mandrake" who's really the Master and also his son and also President of Gallifrey.

The Leekley Bible stuff is especially galling, he just lifts tired Joseph Campbell concepts wholesale and Lofficier praises him about how clever that is. It's also got "Cybs", space pirate Cybermen that are too cool for multiple syllables and who are apparently "deadly cyborg versions of Native American -style warriors". Eric Roberts is honestly the least of the evils that might have been.

This sounds amazing. How much is it?

• Locked thread