Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Clara was asked to think about "the time she had that nightmare", but ended up going back to the time Pink had it instead because she was thinking about him. I guess at the end she did the same thing only with the Doctor.

I think I'm ok with the childhood scene, it further establishes The Doctor as an outcast rather than some space messiah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do quite like the implication that The Doctor is always scared, but trying to use that to his advantage.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes, it is.

Also, I done goofed and they did leave in the bit I really disliked - iPlayer just skipped for me. And it's Clara leaving the little toy soldier with no gun for the young Doctor. In the script it's described as her "leaving him a gift, a soldier without a gun guarding all the stars" and is so implicitly meant to be an origin story like it was to Danny.
That was overly cheesy, but from the conversation the adults were having it seemed that The Doctor was already on his way to going rogue (he was unwilling to become a soldier even though that was what his society demanded of him). Clara just provided some extra inspiration for him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

Re: "Doctor's Childhood" scene, I personally feel that if you're going to have a story in which the Doctor is obsessing about this dream of someone grabbing your ankles, you end up kinda needing a scene like that to show where the obsession is coming from.

Why he's never mentioned it in the last 2,000 years is another question. Still, I liked this episode a lot.
I think it's because 12 is the first one who's had the personality to a) be curious about it and b) be honest enough about his feelings to tell his companion. I can't imagine any of the previous three doing this.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Clara jokes serve a clear purpose - they show that 12 is excessively honest, and can't help but speak his mind. They are getting a bit grating but I can't see any malicious aspect to it at all, he seems to just be thinking aloud.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stealthweasel posted:

That's the thing, the implication that it's some unspoken truth that Clara is ugly/fat/whatever is kind of unpleasant (particularly for a family show).
It's not "the truth", it's something that passes through The Doctor's mind every now and then. It's not unusual to have thoughts like that, you're just expected to keep them to yourself.

Stealthweasel posted:

And the first one was within seconds of being introduced to him in a professional environment where they were going to be working together. How does she even have a job?
Yeah people with jobs are famous for never being rude :confused:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shugojin posted:

It's pretty good that there is a plausible explanation for everything but the bed critter's face. People said SOMETHING BROKE THE AIR SHIELD but that doesn't have to be the case. Maybe it was broken all along and Orson's note was a reminder to himself not to commit suicide in the vacuum at night.
That's possible. I can imagine that the actual end of the universe could have unpredictable effects on an air shield. Also the idea that someone who's been completely and utterly alone for 6 months could go a little nuts is hardly unlikely, and that would fit into the loneliness theme.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe The Doctor was raised by non-Galifrayans?

Also I thought his species was 'Time Lord' until now, didn't realize you had to qualify to be one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Plavski posted:

Remember when the Master was taken to stare into the Untempered Schism to join the Time Lord academy?
I think I erased The Sound of Drums from my memory, but yeah I guess that makes sense.

DoctorWhat posted:

This has been a longstanding point of contention.

The classic series occasionally mentioned "Shabogans" and "outcasts"; the Chancellory Guard's Time-Lord-ness is under dispute; and the established fact tht Rassilon heavily altered the genetics of Gallifreyans in order to create Time Lords raises questions about the relationship between "Gallifreyan" and "Time Lord".

What the biological differences are, if any, remains uncertain.
Is it known whether The Doctor himself is legitimately a Time Lord, or could it just be a self-proclaimed thing?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pizdec posted:

Hell, maybe that's the point. This Doctor is honestly kind of an rear end in a top hat in general and maybe the character arc this season will be about him re-learning in his new body/mind that your companion is also a trusted comrade and a friend and maybe you should treat them a bit different than a (supposedly) robot Robin Hood.
I think The Doctor already trusts Clara fine though. As others have said he had faith that Clara could perform tasks on her own in the first two episodes, and even in the latest episode he ultimately trusts Clara's judgment enough to not go outside and see where they are. He just (unintentionally I think) insults Clara every now and then.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really care about the opening, just give me back the middle 8 in the credits.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the lack of budget hurt this one a bit. The monster was decent but just him and a couple of dudes with guns didn't really sell me on "THE MOST ADVANCED SECURITY IN THE GALAXY"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Actually I think The Teller was really good for a one-off monster, it had two simple but terrifying abilities with a good thematic link, and its design/name worked well with them.

Its motivation is perhaps a little too similar to the one in Hide, but the creature working under duress fitted in well with the episode.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Have they introduced rules on Sonic Screwdriver usage? I like that none of the episodes this season has been resolved by it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Brett824 posted:

I wouldn't mind it if they at all backed it up or made the viewer actually feel like it was the most secure bank. To be honest, there were two security guards and a brain melting monster and that was about it for security.
I guess you could argue that a lot of the security features were negated simply because The Doctor is a time traveler, so he was able to use things (teleporters, cybernetic enhancements, shapeshifters) that just didn't exist when the bank did. It would be like robbing a (very secure for the time) medieval bank with modern tunneling equipment and dynamite.

And maybe the monster would have caught them a lot faster if it weren't for the memory wipe.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it was about being in the right place at the right time and the Doctor said he'd have no chance in hell of getting the TARDIS into the vault during the solar storm, hence the heist plan. Just popping in any old time would create a paradox because it's a stable time loop involving his own timeline.
It wouldn't actually have created a timeloop because The Architect was from the Doctor's past (during the memory wipe period) rather than the future. Helping out your future self is perfectly mundane.

The only timeloop in this episode was the phonecall.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if she didn't specifically tell him the best time to come "The Architect" could have easily traveled a bit into the future and checked when solar flares had occurred (it might even have been in the TARDIS memory banks). Knowing when a natural event is about to happen is trivially easy for a timetraveler.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 22, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

re: TARDIS precision, I always assumed that the issue was that the TARDIS has a will of its own. So if The Doctor tries to do something normal (like sightseeing) it rebels and takes him somewhere it regards as interesting, such as an alien attack. In cases where The Doctor really needs to get something right it's normally dead-on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How do they keep leaking scripts and videos in advance? Is it deliberate?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm actually quite hopeful for the Missy storyline, forcing The Doctor to meet up with people who died (or at least, would have died) due to him seems pretty interesting. It hasn't been very well-handled so far though.

Come to think of it in Time Heist we had two people who we thought were disintegrated but who actually teleported, that seems like another hint.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you may be reading too much into a throwaway joke.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you look at their character motivations they aren't really similar at all, but they just feel really similar due to the "authoritative but kindof playful" exterior that they all have.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Seriously, save your breath. You're going up against a viscous hive-mind in this thread. They've formed a little clique in here, and dissenting opinions are met with holier than thou responses. For the record, I'm not so much a Moffat defender these days. That really doesn't account for why I come in here and snipe a little insult every now and then. Honestly, there's so much loving fake altruism and hot air in this thread, it makes me not even wanna be a Doctor Who fan. I keep coming back here though, every couple of days, to see if anyone had anything loving interesting or useful to say about the episode, and all i ever see is morons whining about literally every little loving thing. Even some of you who started pretty cool a year or two ago, now have just as big a stick up your asses as everyone else. It's like you guys hobby is loving finding anything that could be remotely construed as immoral/racist, then acting like white loving knights toward anyone who says otherwise. gently caress it, I typed this out, I'm posting it.
If there actually were a consensus on the gender issues stuff there would be no discussion. If you don't like what some people are saying you should say so and try to address their points, rather than whining about them being an oppressive hivemind because :qq: there's more than one of them :qq:.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was pretty decent, the alien threat was underdeveloped but that wasn't really the point of the episode. I wouldn't mind having Pink as a second assistant (to be more of a dissenting voice/straight man), I assumed he was going to insist on joining them at the end of the episode.

Payndz posted:

This episode had some (mildly) amusing moments, but it's cemented something that's been developing all season: the show's become The Misadventures Of Clara rather than Doctor Who. This week, Clara has a big date with her hunky co-worker, but her wacky time-travelling neighbour space dad friend throws a spanner in the works once again! That crazy Kramer Doctor, what will he get up to next?

Matt Smith's stories often had sitcom-esque scenes, sometimes to excess, but this year's gone all-out with it and it's getting tiresome. The Doctor's seemed less like the hero of his own show than the zany comic relief.
Is that really true? Clara has had a lot more development and time this season (which I like), but I think the new Doctor has gotten plenty too. Into the Dalek explored the tensions surrounding his views on daleks, Robot of Sherwood established him as hating heroic bluster, Listen looked at his views on fear (which I liked a lot) and Time Heist was pretty much entirely about his crazy plan to save one alien.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I strongly suspect it's a sham afterlife. In Into the Dalek we had The Doctor pick someone up just as they were about to die, and in Time Heist we had people getting teleported instead of killed as well. They might just be collecting Doctor "victims" and no-one else.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RunAndGun posted:

True. I wonder if they will ever do a pure character episode, with no actual Threat whatsoever. (Maybe they thinking there was a Threat, but it turned out to be a squirrel or something. And I don't think Edge of Destruction would qualify.)
They did and it was called Listen.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My guess: they're a couple of assholes with a teleporter and some way of following and watching The Doctor. The ultimate plan is to kidnap him, but in such a way that he doesn't realize he's been kidnapped. They can do this by acting like he's in the afterlife and introducing him to a bunch of people he "knows" are dead. The Master might try a plan like that because he doesn't want to kill The Doctor, he just wants to toy with and control him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure 10 and 11 didn't like soldiers either, I vaguely remember a few scenes where they criticize them. It's just that the plot of this season and the more abrasive nature of 12 have pushed it more to the forefront.

e: also it's been literally hundreds of years since The Doctor knew the Brig, do you not think it's possible for someone's views to change in that time? He could just have him down as an exception to a rule.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 28, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

The anti-militarism that Doctor Who rather constantly puts off is very off-putting to me, to be honest. Are we really supposed to believe that having a pro-active military is a bad thing in a universe where there were something like 30 times in 50 years where all that stood between Earth and its total conquest was one man in a silly outfit? What if the silly outfit man was sick one time or off on another planet? We'd be totally hosed without Danny Pinks and Lethbridge-Stewarts.
This is likely to be a major moral theme of this series, yeah. The Doctor would argue that militaristic types will often make it worse though (like they would have in this episode, and like they arguably did in The Christmas Invasion).

e: wrong christmas special

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 28, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to an episode where the antagonists are a human army attacking aliens

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I figured its targetting systems were all hosed up from so long being dormant, hence why it was an awful shot.
Also if it can blow up a whole planet precision probably isn't its biggest concern.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the racial implication may have been intentional. Not to say that The Doctor is supposed to be racist, but having it as old white man/young black man helps sell the "officer criticizing soldiers" idea that Danny brought up.

Regardless though I think this is kindof a stupid criticism because the logical conclusion is "black people should not be allowed to portray certain characters"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And 12 is definitely the first Doctor who could be described as a manchild.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Doctor has also stressed that the TARDIS is much better than the other forms of time travel seen in the series (like Jack's watch), so it may be that there are lots of extra limitations that apply to non-Time Lord technology.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You're missing the point. The character isn't a manchild, the people writing his characterization are. Or at least, that's what their writing makes them come off as.

12, as is, is one more rejection away from starting a thread on Reddit about how "the nice guy always loses out to the jock and how women always prefer meatheads and it's just NOT FAIR!!!! :("
I haven't really been getting this impression at all though. It comes off more like spacedad-ism, as the show said in the previous episode. If The Doctor were actually just jealous then wouldn't he have been equally annoyed when he thought Clara was dating the Matt Smith-alike?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can someone make the dynamite reveal avatar-sized?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think for his screentime Danny is pretty well developed.

Incidentally we also know he's brave enough to draw the fire of and do a front-flip over an alien super-weapon. That could easily be related to The Doctor's advice in Listen to use fear to your advantage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Well, no, to be honest. He hasn't been that morally ambiguous since the sixties. Yes, I know they bring up the Hitler parallel and that, but it felt disingenuous, and out of context with the general tone of the show.

Outside of the fictional universe, the Doctor is meant to be the voice of humanistic intellect and romance. He's kind of meant to be a role model. I don't mind challenging that idea, but in this case it just felt weird. Of course the Doctor would have sympathy with the creature. Of course he'd want to save it, and he'd probably know it would do no ultimate harm. As it stands, it felt like he was just withholding information for the gently caress of it (as Clara points out).
I don't think that's true. I guess Smith was presented as a moral paragon most of the time, but there were plenty of points where Tennant's judgment was called into question. For instance he literally kills a bunch of babies in The Runaway Bride (which Donna later points out) and he knowingly breaks the rules by saving someone who's supposed to die in The Water of Mars.

In any case I don't think he's really been presented as morally bad this season. He can be rude and insensitive, but his moral decisions and actions have seemed sound outside of this episode (and maybe Into the Dalek).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think Capaldi is really "darker". Morally he's in about the same place as previous Doctors. The difference is that he's frank and honest about what he's thinking and feeling.

I disagree that they haven't been examining The Doctor well this season - every episode so far has explored an aspect of his personality or worldview, and I've found those elements quite interesting. The bigger issue for me is that several of the threats have been pretty weak.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they should have made it clear that the "shell" would be harmless from the start, so that the question becomes "is it OK to pre-emptively kill the creature in case it wants to attack us". That would have made the theme more coherent, since that's basically the decision they were discussing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I know it was in the show. I guess I mean that having it being about the creature's motives would have emphasized the (interesting) subjective moral aspect of the decision and sidelined the (rather distracting and unrealistic) objective physics aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it's an abortion analogy, and in any case women did get to make the decision. Like I guess that's there on a superficial level, but the whole "pre-emptively strike an unknown target with nukes" element and the overall themes of the series makes me think it's more of a military thing.

• Locked thread