Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Harlock posted:

11th Doctor last saw Scottish Amy Pond and forced his hand into becoming Scottish Peter Capaldi.

Oh, I'm certainly seeing 12 as having a Scottish accent because Amy was so central to 11's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jsor posted:

Something just occurred to me, was 11 still seeing River sometimes offscreen around Day of the Doctor? Because he gave her the screwdriver when she went to the library which means after she left it wouldn't have been the same screwdriver War and 10 used to scan the door and compute the harmonic resonance.

Or is it some sort of TARDIS cloud computing thing with the screwdriver's software?

Edit: Unless 10 kept the screwdriver in the TARDIS until after he gave the current one to River? But I thought he left 11's screwdriver in the library computer.

They specifically say the screwdrivers are the same 'on a software level', so yeah, syncs with the TARDIS and gets replaced.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

We've reached twelve doctors, and there's twelve hours on a clock, so a clock face theme fits at least for this season.

Oh god I just realised we're lucky we didn't end up with a clockface with doctor heads or something ridiculous like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flicking through the opening themes, do we have a Time Vortex look in the new season yet? Given that it's not shown in the current opening.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing I've liked about Moffat's series is that they play around with the exterior of the TARDIS a bunch; Amy floating out in space, Rory's dad having a nice relaxing sandwich with his feet hanging over the edge watching Earth, 11 hanging out the front door to use the phone. And I really liked in this last episode that lovely shot of the space panning across the tardis door (with some really nice use of parallax to make the 'bigger on the inside' effect come alive much more than it usually does) and the idea of the Doctor meditating on top of the TARDIS. And as well as that, the bit where he's just hanging out at the bottom of the ocean, doors open, checking out at the fish was fantastic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I was actually thinking of later in the episode when they're in flight in space, but yeah, that bit too, I guess. That was more of a gag though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ewe2 posted:

Watched Inferno again today, it's the most enjoyably snarky outing with Pertwee vs Evil Benson, Liz and Brig and I don't quite understand how 7 episodes went by. Don't touch that green goo! Choice quotes:

4 (sings): "Shinnne on martian moons in the skyyyyy..."

4: "..but I don't exist in your world!"
Evil Brig: "Then you wont feel the bullets when we shoot you!"

and many more... :D

It's Inferno where The Doctor is so proud of his garage door opener, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spacedad posted:

(Animated version of the puppet: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPtUezpKEs

From the maker of these familiar shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLD_dZUKvk

I feel a little happier about the world knowing there's a puppet of Peter Capaldi in it.

This is wonderful. The BBC should commission these people for the next CiN special or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seeing the 'call me' gesture at the end of this episode to Sy, I have to say I wouldn't mind if he came back at some point. He's got some interesting backstory hooks, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I just assumed it was because Eleven still missed the Ponds, so he became a Scottish Roman :downs:.

Oh I'm definitely believing that Twelve is Scottish because of Amy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"Yes it's in another dimension, no it's not lost"

I suspect the Master was telling the truth about Gallifrey's coordinates, just not how to access whatever dimension it's in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I barely noticed the nonsense elements of the plot out of just how utterly amazing the Master fuckery was. I loved it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shadoer posted:

- Handles: Bring back Handles. He was in one episode and was easily the best guy in that episode. Make him a regular companion for the Doctor.

The point was that he wasn't really intelligent, though, not in the way a real cyberman could be. Because he was just the computer bit, not the brain bit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

so why not go hunt it down?

Good luck with that. Or getting in the door.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

We're doing it tonight. He doesn't want to wait to see Smith.

Uahahahahaha.

I wish you could film his reaction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, and he's gonna be seeing the total loving over of Donna's character development too, isn't he. That's gonna be a fun reaction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Did we know that? I thought Smith wasn't announced until the Year of the Specials. I remember being pretty loving stunned that they'd managed to keep the casting of a new Doctor under total wraps. Or maybe my memory is completely shot.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't until after The Next Doctor at the very least, because I remember for a lot of people there was an is he/isn't he regarding David Morrissey.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Damnit, did we have the review thread closed whilst Occ was watching so he couldn't post rage comments midway through

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One spoiler I've kinda been hoping he won't get spoiled for but it's dropped a few times in that thread is that Eleven's companion equals Amy or that Amy equals Karen Gillan, since there's about fifteen minutes where Amy Pond is a missing seven-year-old and Karen Gillan is a strange policewoman/kissogram six months later and if you don't get spoiled it's a pretty neat realisation of figuring it out or it getting revealed, either or. I like this whole vicariously reexperiencing neat moments.

Maybe that's just nostalgia for The Eleventh Hour, though. That was a goddamn good episode. It would've been neat if they bought back some of Amy's friends for her wedding.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 12, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

That is a bit weird.

If it was RTD, you just know all of the people, ALL OF THEM, introduced in Eleventh Hour would have had something to do, some big moment or character thing across the multiple seasons she was around.

I just think it would've been nice to have Jeff and his Gran in the background at the wedding.

quote:

Moffat just kind of forgets all but Rory existed and then tries to make us believe that there was a third one there all along oops it was actually River.

Mm. The problem with introducing Mels earlier is that she can never meet The Doctor, otherwise the assassination programming kicks in. A namedrop would've been nice, though.

Actually, come to think of it, they had the perfect opportunity to introduce Mels at the start of Season 6 when Amy and Rory are hanging out around the house watching The Doctor be an idiot in history. Only half a dozen episode before Let's Kill Hitler, so not a challenge to organise. It would've dramatically improved her later bit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

computer parts posted:

The Doctor did sort of say "oh yeah, remember that whole afterlife thing? That was all her".

No, he said that she'd been doing it as long as humanity had an idea of the afterlife. He never said she invented the concept of an afterlife, just that she exploited it.

And the whole thing with the rich was that the rich were interred in 3W, leaving their bodies there out of paranoia. They were converted to Cybermen the old fashioned way and self destructed to cause the nanopollen rain. I get the impression every human mind was in the nethersphere, waiting for the rain phase. The whole point of a Cyberman is that you need a mind.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 13, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They might have pulled it off if they'd had a single episode midway-to-late through the run where Danny ended up coming along for one of the adventures and it was Danny-centric and explored his previously-hinted-at backstory.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hewlett posted:

My question is how he has his body back? Does the cloud just make a new body for you when you escape through the bracelet portal or...

The Matrix is a combination of computer and 'pocket reality'. Things within the simulation sort of have an actual physical existence, and it's actually possible to physically go in and out of the simulation.

Time Lord tech. We're talking a people that discovered maths that the very act of calculating can alter reality and objects within it (part of how the TARDIS generates its interior). The Matrix presumably uses that to the nth degree in an entire computational system combined with pocket dimension designed around the concept. A computer where the calculations have reality.

Doctor Who technobabble is the most insane technobabble.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 13, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I saw this in the episode but I assumed that she'd been secretly been travelling with The Doctor and lying to Danny for three months. But... it makes sense, it could be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, I just rewatched the start of Dark Water, and I'm really curious as to what would've happened if The Master hadn't just happened to be downloading humanity's minds into a Matrix Slice at the same time the Doctor was apparently sincerely searching for the Afterlife.

Also Missydroid is loving hilarious when you can read the Master loving around with the Doctor into it. "My heart... is maintained... by the Doctor."

Organza Quiz posted:

It's very blink-and-you'll-miss-it but at the end of the episode when Danny's talking to Clara he says something to the effect of "this place is dying now." To me that implies that the whole thing is switching off or falling apart and whoever doesn't get out right then and there is going to disappear. That said, I completely agree that everyone's coming back to life again one way or another.

It's a pretty big plot point to gloss over, to be honest. I mean, really, letting the thing die is a huge ethical clusterfuck, given the implication by the fact that Danny's there that all the downloaded minds still exist in the nethersphere.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 13, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Another point about Dark Water... I notice that the 3W logo resembling a cyberman eye gets more explicit over the course of the episode. Like, the first time you really see it is on the wall of Seb's office, where it's two separate circles that don't really overlap. Then there's the logo in the video, where it overlaps a little... then you see it on the doors later, where it fully reaches the proportions of a cyberman eye. It's nicely done.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, honestly I'd find the Cybermen much more threatening if they didn't walk like badly made robots. If they were as fluid and rapidly responding as the people they'd upgraded. The reflexes and versatility and motion of a human body with the durability of a machine. But I guess it's much too late for that; walking like a bigass ASIMO is part of their thing.

Senor Tron posted:

The Doctor was searching for that because of Clara, and he has Clara as his companion because of the Masters influence. They never gave an explanation for why Clara, the Master having some sense that she was going to be a common link in both of their timelines and it being a paradoxical loop seems as likely an explanation as any.

"You'd go to hell if she asked, and she would!". Given that the Doctor explicitly says they're going to "go to hell" to find Danny... you might be right. The Master deliberately found someone with the kind of personality and intelligence to force The Doctor to fix a death and would suffer a loss of a loved one (or the Master offed Danny to force it).

But that's not really the point I was making. The Doctor being ready to go looking for the actual afterlife seemed to be a genuine plan and I'm wondering how it would've played out; the Master's plot got in the way and stopped us from seeing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 13, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

Yup. They actually sold that scene (Clara telling off the Doctor) too well in a sense, because it really does make you think there's no loving way they can ever work together again.

Mmm. Honestly, they needed an episode in between just to repair the relationship to the point where they can go "let's have one last hurrah on the Orient Express to say goodbye"; something on Earth where she has no choice but to call him to save lives.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hrmph, one of my favourite sci-fi authors apparently wrote a Doctor Who book. Alistair Reynolds, Harvest of Time. I'm tempted to actually pick up a TV show licenced book. How is it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

I was reading the wiki to remind myself of some stuff and apparently when Amy and Rory where having their own lives and only hanging out with the Doctor occasionally he accidentally left an Ood at their house for a month and it became their butler. Thats amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikv0QbubV7Y

The Eleventh Doctor had a seriously ridiculous number of mini episodes on the web or DVD extras. There's the two in-between-episodes bits from Series 5, the five-part Pond Life series, prequels minisodes to about a dozen episodes in series 6 and 7, several pieces leading into The Snowmen, several different standalone Comic Relief specials like the one where they accidentally park the TARDIS inside itself, the animated storyboard one where Amy and Rory's son introduces himself to Rory's dad, a bunch of random ones like Clara and the TARDIS fighting or The Doctor's deleting himself from databases, a five-episode series about the doctor having adventures with River whilst Rory and Amy sleep, a bunch of lead ins to the anniversary/regeneration specials...

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 17, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I hope they don't change the Tardis again though, now that Capaldi has made his views public, I can only expect that it will happen soon enough. I like it when things get an added sense of importance just from being around long enough and none of the recent Tardises bar, maybe, the first modern one have got that because they get switched too quickly.

I'd like it if they kept the current one but renovated it some more towards his views. More roundels, a bit of a whiter colour scheme rather than heavy dark metal.

Most of all, I want it to go up and down again. It's just wrong that it doesn't go up and down.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And Eight's gets a huge amount of love even though it was onscreen for a single film.

Probably because of how awesome it is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's yet another "answer" to a question nobody asked (or if they did, they shouldn't have). Why does the TARDIS have to be anything particularly special (BEFORE the Doctor started traveling in it) or have a backstory or any other rubbish? It was just a TARDIS that the Doctor stole when he left Gallifrey, albeit a particularly old model, and what makes it special is the length of time he has spent traveling in it and the experiences they have shared together as it quickly came to replace Gallifrey as his actual "home".

Eh, The Doctor's Wife claimed it was special - "Do you ever wonder why I chose you?" "I chose you! You were unlocked." "Of course I was. I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away. And you were the only one mad enough." And I like that. She wasn't super-special, but she was itching to explore too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

...um...er...what's Red Dwarf?

Good lord.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Or say, if it was a reincarnation of the Second Doctor as The Curator?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXKWah2V8o

This guy is drat good. Like better than Frazer, and that's saying a lot. One thing about Frazer's imitation of Troughton, which I noticed a lot in the Audio Go anniversary story, is that he tends to always imitate Troughton in one particular meter and way of speaking, but Troughton had several more vocal tics and ways of expressing himself. This guy does a great job of a slower speaking, more low key Second Doctor.

I'm also glad they are getting a soundalike to do Pertwee for some episodes. I understand the whole "respect to the actors thing," but the role itself has been recast since 1966. Hell, even Hartnell was recast in The Five Doctors (and most recently in a way, by David Bradley). For me, the whole joy of a time traveling franchise is there can always be new adventures at any point in the canon, and if I can pick up a read a brand new 1st, 2nd or 3rd Doctor book, it'd be great to hear a brand new story. And recasting an audio only role is far easier than a visual one. I also fully believe they should do whatever it takes to get David Bradley to voice some full cast audios with Carole Ann Ford and William Russell!

I get this is only my opinion and a lot of people will feel strongly otherwise, but I would pay top dollar for that, full cast 3rd Doctor audios, and more of Frazer doing 2nd Doctor stories. I am also a bit miffed that Joseph Lidster, who is basically the showrunner of Big Finish Dark Shadows, won't consider recasting Barnabas, Julia, and other key roles to play alongside David Selby, Lara Parker, and the rest of the living cast. Particularly odd since soap operas are known for blatantly recasting!

I really thought that they should've gotten voice-alikes for One, Two and Three and then gotten the other actors in to record brief bits of dialogue for the thirteen Doctors part of The Day of the Doctor. Use archival footage for their video shots on the monitors, but have new dialogue, maybe even some interaction or responses. As it is it's a bit too obvious it's playing random clips that don't really fit in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think there is a fine line you've got to walk and that Day of the Doctor did it pretty well. I got a massive thrill at hearing,"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" but any more than that might have been a step too far.

The 'Calling the War Council of Gallifrey' was perfect., but things like 'cross the boundaries from one universe from another!' line kicks me out and some of the others are too obviously random.

I'm not saying that there should've been more dialog, just that they could've recorded responses that were about the situation instead of using generic archival clips, especially from Four to Eight where the actors are still around.

CobiWann posted:

Ok, I'll add it to my list...

Green Wing, Black Books, The Book Group, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, and my wife's trying to get me into Arrow. I'm swamped!

And I HAVE seen Blackadder. All of them. The end of Blackadder Goes Forth made me cry, I admit it.

Red Dwarf is top priority. That's just fundamental.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Here, use this to get it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3t3IKlXqFU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not clicking play. Last time I heard that song, I was tapping it out for days.

There's always The Rimmer Experience instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I have to get out of this thread, it's going to be tHE'S ARNOLD, ARNOLD, ARNOLD RIMMER

HE'S ALSO A FAN-TAS-TIC SWIMMER

• Locked thread