Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How do I go about reinstalling Windows 8 on a laptop that came with it preloaded? Windows Update is completely non-functional on the laptop and neither Reset or Restore in the advanced before boot menu have fixed it. Neither has Microsoft's Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If I go ahead and download and install drivers for my new motherboard on my OS hard drive, would I potentially be able to just "plug and play" my OS drive into the new board?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I'm having some problems with my newly built desktop.

4790k, ASUS Z97-A, 8GB ram, MSI GTX 970 Golden, 1000HX(3-4 yes old, never pushed anything harder than GTX 460 SLI), 7 x64

I've been messing with overclocking on this system. The problems happened after a benchmark session. With an overclock that was lower than what the GPU can do. It was only about a 1510mhz core clock with a 7500mhz vram OC. My CPU was at 4.4 with a 280L cooler.

I had a system freeze and did a restart. Than decided to just watch some videos. Well I had some cracking/static in my audio through HDMI to my TV. Then I had severe audio desyncing when the CPU was out under load (reached only about 80%, but still had lag)

I think I fixed the GPU staticby switching from the 12v1 rail to the 12v2 rail on the psu, but the audio desync is a slight problem still. Do I need a new power supply?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What folders should I look at backing up when reinstalling my OS? I got my whole Documents folder. I use chrome with my google account to save all my bookmarks as well as LastPass for password management. I have a lot of programs installed on my HDD, with only a few things installed on my SSD OS drive. No pictures or music or anything like that.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I actually wish they made them with a straight connector followed by a 90°. That way, you could do a 90° sata at the bottom of a stack of hard drives. Then for each HDD I the stack, the 90° bend just extends a little further to get past the next cable.

The hardest cake for me to find for my last case was a reversed 90°-straight SATA cable. The raven rv01 had the HDD's bottom facing towards the front of the case with very little room between the side panel.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 2, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know off hand if BNIB laptops from Lenovo's recertified/refurbished store come with a full warranty? On my suggestion, my friend bought one laptop from there a few months ago and the hard drive is dying in it now.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Friend is having problems with his laptop. Here is his CDI.

It was at 4 sectors last night. Then when I looked at it last night after I told him to run it it was at 5 sectors. I ran a chkdsk c: /f on it and when it was done it went back down to 2 sectors on pending.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's new, he bought it brand new in box from Lenovo's outlet store. It's only a few months old. From what I gathered from Lenovo's site it did come with a 1yr warranty since it was still BNIB.

Edit: Just looked the SN through Lenovo and it still has warranty until June next year.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 18, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do you know or anyone with experience know if Lenovo will just ship a replacement drive? Don't want to send the entirety of the laptop for just a hard drive failure.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Col.Kiwi posted:

I'd say chances are they'll likely send you to an authorized service center, ie a repair shop they work with. Or maybe they'll make you send them the whole laptop. I'd be surprised if they just ship you a drive and let you install it yourself and keep your warranty coverage. It seems like with most laptop OEMs for any repairs at all, even really simple stuff like a drive replacement, it has to be done by a technician in an authorized service center for you to keep your warranty valid. I could be wrong though.

They're sending him a replacement drive. They wanted him to send the laptop, but he asked if they could send him the drive and they said yes. He just had to send the old drive back.

He is going to buy my 250 evo and use the replacement drive as an external.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I got a Dell laptop that I'm trying to fix for a client. They wanted just a windows reinstall, but I can't get the thing to power on. It doesn't have a power cord, but I can power it in for short bursts. Like if I hold the power button to turn it on, it'll stay on then turn off after that standard 'hold power button to hard shutdown' time limit. If I just tap that power button it'll turn on then right back off. The duration that the PC stays on is directly related to the length of the press of the power button.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

Just a reminder that the 840 evo has that problem where the data that sit on the driver get slower and slower readings and you have to use a tool to fix it.

New drives come with the new firmware now. One person reported that the drive they got like a week or so ago come with the firmware pre-installed. SO no need to run the performance restoration tool.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have an i7-4790k and an ASUS Z97-A, what settings do I need to disable to make sure my CPU doesn't downclock?

When I turn my computer on there is horrible audio crackling and just a sluggish feel to the computer. The audio is ran through my GTX 970, but I believe the CPU is the problem. Because even under low loads like 10% or so, YT videos slowdown if I switch over to another task. Windows is saying the CPU is running at 800MHz. When I play a game there is no problem.

Edit: Not my CPU apparently...

It's my GPU. For some reason when it switches to 3d rendering settings everything messes up, but when it goes back to 2d clocks everything is fine.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

I have two 24 inch ultrasharps I want to mount on the wall, any suggestions for a mount?

There are stand mounts that work for like up to three or more monitors, but they don't usually wall mount. This is what you would use though to keep them the same height.

I would personally suggest a full motion mount. Brand, I bought some rosewill's from Newegg that were good. Really though, they should all be built the same though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

My wife dropped her laptop. It's fine, but her USB stick snapped off. Are there any services that are goon recommended to pull the data off it? It's 6 years of powerpoints and word docs that she's created for the courses she teaches.

I've repeatedly told her to regularly back up her data, but apparently she last did it three loving years ago. Normally, I'd just tell her 'sorry, babe', but this is career-related.

I've googled the temporary fix, but I don't solder, and we/she is willing to pay for a good service, and aren't trying for 24 hr turnaround.

I've dealt with this once as a low level help desk. The usb stick itself was still in tact with the solder points for the male USB connector. What I did was take male to female USB extension cable and remove the cover around the female end. I then held the female end against the solder points on the USB stick then taped it together. This made it possible to remove the data without issue. We charged like $70 to the customer for $5 in parts and .10 hours of time.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I got a co-worker with a hard drive in his PC that has reallocated sectors. I was going to suggest that he pick up a new hard drive or even a 250GB SSD. Suggestions on how to direct him?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

Samsung 850 EVO or Intel 530 or 730 SSD (whichever it cheapest, probably the 850). If he needs a HD, WD Blue for 1TB or less, WD Red or HGST or Toshiba for 2TB or more.

The problem I'm seeing with this computer, is I really don't know his storage requirements. Like his System Volume Information file is 37GB and his Temp Internet Files was 80+ GB in size. Between Windows, Users, and Program Files/Program Data. He is only using 28 GB.

I've already deleted the 80GB of Temporary Internet Files. So like 57% of the used space on the drive is the SVI file. But I have no clue what caused the 80GB of TIFs. There were a lot of .js and .swf though. Isn't IE supposed to limit it's TIF size?

I also don't know if his computer will support TRIM as it's using a LGA 775 board that had a Celeron in it. I have since upgraded it to a C2D E4600 with 4GB of RAM. He is also using Vista.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's more reliant on the controller on the SSD itself, not just the connection of the SSD. For instance, Samsung makes mSATA and M.2 850 EVO and 850 Pro SSDs. However, the M.2 850 Evo and Pro still perform at SATA speeds.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So using several power supply calculators, it looks like my current system can be handled by a 600w power supply. Though should I go with a 700w just so that I'm not at 80% load when I'm putting my PC under load?

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz
MSI GTX 970 Golden
Zotac GTX 970
6 fans, 1 SSD, 1 HDD

My current power supply is going on like 5-6 years old now. It's a Corsair HX1000.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 4, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I recently moved and upon trying to start up my wife's computer, it will turn on for about 5 seconds, then shut down, restart on its own, and stay like that. However, it won't output anything to the monitor so I have no way of seeing what's going on during this craziness. I did try another monitor that I know works just in case that was compounding the issue, but nothing was outputting to that one either. It did work fine the last time we tried it before the move, which was 4 days ago.

I've tried both the video card port and the regular motherboard video port, both dvi, to no avail. I don't have a vga cord to test that.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to even begin?

Take out and re-seat every component. If that doesn't work, try re-seating the CPU as well.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

I've finally got my case at reasonable temperatures, CPU is only hitting 49°C under load with my NH-14S. However, not to pleased with the Noctua Brown/Biege clashing with the white/blue/black and was wondering if I could get a replacement 140mm fan, would a PH-F140HP work fine? Would there be any performance loss? Fans are confusing, everything about them seems to be misleading as hell.

Paint the fans?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

I pulled the cover off the 7970 yesterday and it was clean. Since the card is just 2 months shy of being 3 years old, should I attempt to reapply new thermal paste? Would that void the last of the MSI warranty? I am tempted to call and try to warranty the card, but I doubt they will consider this a problem.

The biggest problem you might run into its the VRAM thermal pads ripping/tearing when you remove the cooler. You could run four monitors on a GTX 950, which should run almost silent for your use case.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've had two experiences with visual artifacts were caused by hardware issues. The first instance was caused by a power supply being incapable of supplying enough power. The second was bad VRAM. In your case it could be either one.

Though I suspect a vram issue because that would cause problems even at low usage scenarios.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
As long has the raid card has some kind of memory it should save the raid array. That's one of the benefits of a controller card for storage devices. Makes it easier to move to a new system if you upgrade.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mudfly posted:

Not sure if this is the right place....

I wish to play League of Legends. My flatmates wish to download videos (and whatever else, 24/7). This causes my gaming ping to rise to 300 from 30. Can I resolve this issue with a router with QoS? Any recommendations?

Just tested my connection as 3.39Mbps down and 1.47Mbps up. I'm in Australia.

Ultimatum.

Download when everyone is asleep and only then. Or. Buy your own internet connection.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Okay, was playing GTA V earlier today and my computer randomly shutdown while playing. Computer rebooted itself and the UEFI displays an error.

"Power supply surges detected during the previous on.
ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit."

I rebooted into windows. Computer worked fine, until any game was loaded causing shutdown and aforementioned error. Is there any possibility that this is anything other than the PSU? The unit itself is old, six or seven year old Corsair 1000HX.

I already purchased a Seasonic Snow Silent 1050w unit.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Would a 750 be sufficient for SLI 980 Ti or an I better off with the 1050?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well tab is usually used to just site what the bios is doing. Delete and F2 are the usual keys to get into the bios.

See if there is a CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard. If you aren't using any kind of raid configuration, I would suggest using the CMOS reset first.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

Yeah, it switches from the splash to the actual boot screen. None of my other keys work (Both DEL and F2 go to UEFI, F11, or F12 work).

If you trying to go from one motherboard to a new one and it is not the same chipset, you need to reinstall the OS or do some driver finalizing.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I've already put in an RMA request with Galax, but let me get your opinion of whether this is a failed video card or not.

Was playing FO4 and the game crashes, no video is displayed but I safely shutdown the PC just by pressing the power button on my case(The windows audio for shutting down plays). Go back to playing FO4, think it's just a memory leak or something been playing for several hours. Get to the same area, game crashes again causing a corrupted audio loop. Have to hard shutdown the PC to get it to turn off. Go to turn it back on, the motherboard gets stuck on PCI-E initialization(Red lights on motherboard indicate item being initialized). The video card has lighting effects on it, so when the PC first starts the lights turn on then after about 5 seconds turn off. No video displays at all during this. I changed the BIOS with the button that is on the card, same thing happens with different BIOS. One BIOS was from Galax to try and fix fan ramping issues I was having, the second BIOS was the original stock BIOS.

My computer will still start without problems using integrated graphics and with the card NOT install in the system.

I try the video card in a second PC with completely different specs of mine and it repeats the same symptoms. Lights turn on then off, doesn't display video at all. Now this card is only 2.5 months old.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I must say, Galax tech support is fast. I put in my RMA at 2am, got an RMA number by 8:30am same day.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What motherboard and CPU do you have? Your system may not support 8GB DIMMs.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would say upgrade your BIOS if it isn't the latest version. Other than that, if it doesn't work return the RAM. There is no other reason for it not to be working like it should.

My suggestion for some RAM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233834

Edit: Just found this BIOS upgrade.

Z170M-PLUS BIOS 0408
Enhance compatibility with some memory.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170M-PLUS/Z170M-PLUS-ASUS-0408.zip

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I remember a time when motherboard specified whether they worked with single or double sided memory. Because strangely, poo poo like that mattered.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

Im uninstalling a bunch of stuff off my 1tb HDD to prepare for the incoming 500GB ssd I just ordered to take its place as a boot drive.

I removed over 300gb of stuff but I dont see any freed up capacity when I view properties for the C drive. FolderSize shows the C drive as taking up about 100gb but its 400 in "computer"

Is there a tool I need to run to make windows see it properly?

*edit I found it all in the hidden recycle bin file that showed up with TreeSize. It all works now

If you still need a program to show you what's taking up space, WinDirStat is highly recommended. It makes storage space used into block spaces;bigger the block, the more space it takes up.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That is only pci-e 1x, not 8x like you thought.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bromplicated posted:

I bought new RAM, and plugged it in backwards. I smelled a faint burning plastic smell. I realized my mistake, and plugged it in the right way. Now the motherboard beeps its POST code saying memory error in an endless loop. I plugged in my old RAM, and it does the same thing.

1) My motherboard is dead, right?

2) Is the RAM dead too?

3) Would it hurt any of my other components?

I'm scared I fried my video card. Here's a pic of the connector pins:

They look discolored slightly and one of them even has a little chip on it.

I just bought it. Can I send it back to Newegg if I fried it?

To be honest, you may have voided any warranty you had on the ram and motherboard. User caused damage is grounds for warranty dismissal.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you really want to future-proof, you go with the SB-6190. 32 downstream and 8 upstream. *May not work with your current provider*.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

ok well on that case I might stick a bigger fan on there instead, any suggestions on Jerry rigging case fans to heat sinks?

preferably I'd like to buy some sort of clip on thingy

No jerry rigging required.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Spot-Cool-SpotCool-System/dp/B000I5KSNQ