Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Googling the sku number brings up webcams from YoLuke, some a bit similar looking. They don't have driver downloads on their website though, just a security camera software link that errors out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm having a hard time researching and googling answers and opinions on this, so any help is really appreciated.
The headphone jack contains a switch to see if a plug is inserted into it. Bypassing it will mean bridging something. That's as far as I got last time you posted about this.

In your place I'd be tempted to just try whatever combination of red or white with the black wire on the audio side kicks it in gear, but understand I'm not qualified in any way.

E: Like I'm guessing, black bridged with red from the same bundle

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 7, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Don't forget general creature comforts, like a knob for volume control, having a headphone output near where you want it and connecting all your audio stuff through a single usb cable if you're using a laptop.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The HDMI over Ethernet thing I'm using only needs to be powered on one end. That seemed fairly typical when I bought it a little over a year ago.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

I can only find them where both sides are powered, but if you have any that you can find that look good with just the transmitter powered, that would be nifty
I'm using this one that I can only find on amazon.de. I'm doing 1080p over 25m of cat5 with this with no issues.

I obviously don't know about the quality of any of these (there are three links there), but they all seem to be powered from one side only. You're right that there are more, even very similar looking ones that need power on both sides. It somehow seemed to help when I added the edola brand to the search terms, which is weird. Other than that, there was a lot of plain looking at the images to see whether the receiver had an input for power. The ones that say 4K over cat6/7, I'm assuming are fine with cat5 for 1080p.

edit: they seem to call this POC, where the power goes through the cable. Though adding that to the search terms brings up a lot of irrelevant stuff as well.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 10, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Have you tried a usb extension cord to create some distance between the dongle and the computer? Even a couple of inches could help. Some usb 3 ports can generate crazy amounts of noise in the 2.4ghz band.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Imo you don't really need lots more power for office work and web surfing, but it all has to come at the right price.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The four digits at the end are measurements of the physical dimensions. The the physical length differs and the hole for the screw to hold them won't be in the same place and they're not intercompatible in that sense. Since your motherboard specifies 110mm, you should be looking for a 22110 form factor drive, as far as I understand.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I noticed now I kinda glossed over that 32mm slot, but that doesn't seem terribly common either. Also there could be differences between the slots with regard to how many pci lanes they use and or may disable sata ports or whatever. All that's beyond me, you should ask in the ssd thread, probably.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You can get a Windows 7 key for a fiver from SAMart that will activate Windows 10. Or an actual key for under $20. That's if you've lost your own old key and it's proven the drive doesn't work anymore. It's not worth worrying about.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I want to get an hdmi signal from one side of a brick wall to another. Are there downsides to using a hdmi to micro hdmi cable and capping that off with a single piece micro hdmi to hdmi adapter? In terms of signal quality. I'm hoping to get by with drilling a smaller hole. Like up to 10-13mm seems feasible with the tools I have and a micro hdmi plug might possibly fit through that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

It should just work.
Thanks. I think I'm just in overdrive worrying after struggling for a couple of days to get a hdmi over Ethernet extender working at 1080p (works fine at 720p). I've been replacing everything in the chain I can and at some point switching out an hdmi cable of unknown quality with a new one brought me from nope to yes with frequent dropouts.

The actual actual weak point seems to be a rj45 jointer where the in-house network wiring comes up a meter or two short and on the wrong side of the wall. Take that out of the equation and everything works perfectly. So now I'm thinking, bring the extender to where the good network cable ends.

It's weird dealing with analogue style problems on a digital signal on a type of cable that isn't made for what you're pushing through it. The jointer is perfectly adequate for actual data transmission between computers, just not what I'm doing with it. There also doesn't seem to be any network cable tester that tells anything beyond 'galvanic connection exists y/n'.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I mean I'm still going to use the hdmi to ethernet adapter to get the picture to the bedroom. It's just that in the boiler space it can directly hook into a single continuous cat5 run that I know works with it.

Thanks though. It's been a whole journey of discovery and it helps to talk it through with people before I start ordering random crap again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Saukkis posted:

You might be able to drill two smaller holes side-by-side.
I think that could be a pain in the rear end to do cleanly. Too close together and you have the drill slipping into the first hole all the time, too far apart you get this binocular looking thing where you need to knock out the center narrowing somehow. Otoh I would be able to go ahead with it right away. Hm.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

No option to pull and image the drive before anything else?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Kin posted:

Ah, sorry I meant the other way around from that. Like, the back of the machine already has an ethernet port, I was just wondering if there was a cable with USB 3.0 input on one end and an ethernet connection output at the other which could plug into it. I then attach the USB dongle to the USB input end and get faster speeds.
No.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If there currently is nothing going in terms of backups, an external drive is a good first step in any process, no matter how unrelated. Infinitely better than no backups.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The thing marked H might be this?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

One thing unusual about torrenting is the number of connections made, independent of the speeds achieved.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Smaller things like laptops/chargers we have voltage adapters which we've used before on visits like this https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Universal-Converter-Charging-Worldwide-dp-B00I065NGC/dp/B00I065NGC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1
I can't imagine this was necessary to begin with. Do check the labels in any case.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you don't have to rip any stickers or anything to do it, or hack the bios or whatever, you could swap the drive for a cheap ssd and put anything on it you want. That would be reversible when necessary.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Qubee posted:

I live in the Middle East and have a router that uses a SIM card to connect to the internet. I'm having a nightmare time with this router, it constantly drops connection. If I buy a new router, do they come with SIM card slots or is it something I'd specifically have to look out for? Or do I just hook the new router up to my old one and have everything go through the new router?

I have no idea how this works. In the UK, our router was fibre connection so it would just hook up to the fibre line. I've never used a router with a SIM card before.
When you were here previously, you said your network connection while torrenting went to poo poo coinciding with you getting a different router. Did the previous router also work with a sim card?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I mean a hardware hdmi splitter will show the same thing on either or both screens, possibly none, without the computer being any the wiser. You lose the extend option that you don't care about. Be careful shopping for those wrt supported hdmi versions, resolutions and refresh rates though.

E: also assume both screens need to be able to support the same resolution and refresh rate for it to work, because the signal will just be cloned.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 16, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You should be able to press win+p multiple times until the right option is selected. If the starting point is consistent for each monitor, so should be the number of times you need to press the combo. Like two in one direction, four in the other or something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I don't think there is any difference between usb 1 and usb 2 cables. Like they don't have any electronics in them, it's the same number of wires, the same connectors. How the hell are they going to differ unless defective.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have a satellite receiver that apparently wouldn't handle usb sticks larger than 16GB when flashing the firmware. And then it turned out that if the first and only partition on it was smaller than that, it didn't matter what the actual size of the stick was. I tried that fully expecting that it simply wouldn't work. I don't think that's typically how these things work though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Generally, if I care about total power consumption, is a laptop is better than a desktop? Would a ~$1,000 laptop draw less power when plugged in compared to a desktop with about the same specs (something like i5 RTX4060). Or is it the same, or would it be too difficult to compare without being more specific?

I know you can build a desktop with the goal of low power consumption, so are they not really comparable?
It's a difficult comparison. Like a laptop with a mobile 4060 might perform more like a desktop 3060 ti. You might have a similar thing going on where a desktop vs a laptop i5 just won't do the same amount of work in a given time. So if you're saying they have the same specs, you can't just go by part names. Then some laptops might have inadequate cooling solutions. It isn't always a given you can get sustained maximum spec sheet performance out of a good part.

Like, if you go by price, the laptop will consume fewer watts, because it's a less performant computer, generally, probably? But then, as said, low power states might be similar enough. Maybe peak performance isn't that important, but at that point you are considering that lower power desktop, right.

There isn't any magic in there. If laptop parts of the same generation were just less power hungry without compromise, they'd use that technology in desktops as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, that's as expected and I can't promise that it necessarily will, but the only possibility for it to work the way you want is a separate usb lead between pc and monitor.