Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Akumeoy posted:

It's always been pretty dire, you just didn't have someone with severe brainworms (me) reporting on the drama here. I doubt the complaints about contest voting would have made their way over to this thread if not for me.

You're doing the lord's work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, honestly I rarely check the site anymore, I just go to the links here that people post as good ones and 90% of the time they are pretty great.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, honestly I rarely check the site anymore, I just go to the links here that people post as good ones and 90% of the time they are pretty great.

This is exactly what I do.

Thanks everyone for reading the bad ones and posting the good ones.

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

extremely large and incredibly huge

Spanish Matlock posted:

You're doing the lord's work

I reject any god that sanctions my behavior in this thread.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Duderclese posted:

This is exactly what I do.

Thanks everyone for reading the bad ones and posting the good ones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I keep wanting to get back into reading SCP's but I'm finding it so hard to find entries I find interesting. So many are really long and the payoff is just nothing. Has the site entered a phase where classic "A weird and dangerous thing/place, how it was discovered and how it was contained" is seen as cliche? I don't want to read about an SCP that turns out to not be an SCP but just a funny bureaucratic failure, or a touching charming SCP entry that's actually about the joys of fatherhood. Give me a weird room that kills you, give me a spooky forest with mutant intelligent trees that try to convert you into a tree-person in order to spread their seeds. Give me some classic SPC!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Baronjutter posted:

I keep wanting to get back into reading SCP's but I'm finding it so hard to find entries I find interesting. So many are really long and the payoff is just nothing. Has the site entered a phase where classic "A weird and dangerous thing/place, how it was discovered and how it was contained" is seen as cliche? I don't want to read about an SCP that turns out to not be an SCP but just a funny bureaucratic failure, or a touching charming SCP entry that's actually about the joys of fatherhood. Give me a weird room that kills you, give me a spooky forest with mutant intelligent trees that try to convert you into a tree-person in order to spread their seeds. Give me some classic SPC!

My hot take is the SCP community needs to try to get their ideas across in under 500 words for a few series.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Here's a classic SPC for you

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the signal to noise is pretty bad at the moment. I just kinda find authors i like and hope they have an author page. Browsing via 'canon' is another thing you can do. Other than that... i just don't really bother reading anything under 150+ votes which probably means i've missed a few diamonds in the rough but like you i can't be assed to sort the wheat from the chaff anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was this written by an AI or something? Its just this random conversation totally out of context, madness.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

mycatscrimes posted:

My hot take is the SCP community needs to try to get their ideas across in under 500 words for a few series.

"500 words or fewer, no recurring characters or continuities, no cross-links, not a joke/meme/reference" would be a good contest theme for sure

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Antivehicular posted:

"500 words or fewer, no recurring characters or continuities, no cross-links, not a joke/meme/reference" would be a good contest theme for sure
A contest like that is what brought us ●●|●●●●●|●●|●, so I'm all for more of that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

The 9000 contest theme should just be "brevity".

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Was this written by an AI or something? Its just this random conversation totally out of context, madness.

The article is an SPC (Shark Punching Center) file, not an SCP.

it's still kind of poo poo, though

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
This creepypasta by Bogleech reminded me of early SCPs. Just short entries on weird incomprehensible critters from the void.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

8999 is one of my all-time favourites now. It's cute and funny, while still feeling like an old-series SCP. I love stories where the Foundation tries to establish communication with an entity that doesn't share any languages with us - what are some more like that?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Chamale posted:

8999 is one of my all-time favourites now. It's cute and funny, while still feeling like an old-series SCP. I love stories where the Foundation tries to establish communication with an entity that doesn't share any languages with us - what are some more like that?

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-2771

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Another for the "real phenomena that read like SCPs" file:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/this-extremely-rare-neurological-condition-makes-faces-appear-distorted-or-like-a-demon-180984015/

quote:

In his case, adjusting the color of light to a specific shade of green allows him to see faces as they truly are.

ScienceSeagull has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Mar 25, 2024

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Sometimes the article only works because of the experiment log. Case in point, SCP-8045.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Parahexavoctal posted:

Sometimes the article only works because of the experiment log. Case in point, SCP-8045.
This is excellent.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

lmao boss fairy has had ENOUGH of the foundation's antics

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Antivehicular posted:

☝️

Chamale posted:

8999 is one of my all-time favourites now. It's cute and funny, while still feeling like an old-series SCP.
It should, that's the one that's a blatant copy of Harold Rolseth's "Hey You Down There"

Sorry, "coincidentally inspired by", just saw the discussion section glossing over it :rolleyes:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This fairy log is the best log I've ever read

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

In case anyone was still under the impression that I had anything of value to say, allow me to dispel that misconception with my new blog post: A Brief and Objective Guide to Essays on the SCP Wiki.

Basically, I go through 'all' of the essays on the wiki and offer my 'informed' opinion on each of them. It features neither obscure forum drama nor my insane opinions.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Akumeoy posted:

In case anyone was still under the impression that I had anything of value to say, allow me to dispel that misconception with my new blog post: A Brief and Objective Guide to Essays on the SCP Wiki.

Basically, I go through 'all' of the essays on the wiki and offer my 'informed' opinion on each of them. It features neither obscure forum drama nor my insane opinions.

I have no stake in any of this drama and am unlikely to ever read any of these essays, but I appreciate how clearly your raw disdain for a huge chunk of the community shines through.

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

blastron posted:

I have no stake in any of this drama and am unlikely to ever read any of these essays, but I appreciate how clearly your raw disdain for a huge chunk of the community shines through.

They only release new Pokemon games every so often, so the SCP community ends up bearing the brunt of my autism.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Would it be appropriate to seek reviews in this thread? I am trying to get greenlights for a couple of ideas on the wiki (I have a draft for one of them).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Would it be appropriate to seek reviews in this thread? I am trying to get greenlights for a couple of ideas on the wiki (I have a draft for one of them).

Sure, why not. Others have done it before.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

quote:

Does anyone know a good way of grabbing a cop's gun?
join the police force

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-IiVeGAydE

Someone's taking a stab at an indie film adaptation of TINAD.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
If anyone has the ability to greenlight on the wiki, I would appreciate review for these ideas:
  • Trusting trust, an anomaly based on the "Reflections on Trusting Trust" lecture, which is a fun concept and well-known in my field. It's, I guess, now a little timely because of the xz exploit, for those who are interested in such things. I have a draft of this one written. The main theme I would be interested here would be paranoia and my main motivation for writing an SCP based on it is to spread awareness of the paper/concept.
  • A document of questionable authenticity, written on non-decaying parchment. Thought of this one on a lark though I don't know if this precise premise has already been done (nothing rings a bell but there are obviously a lot of articles). Rather than the content of the document, I would want the article to be focused on the disputes about its authenticity and interpretation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DoctorWhat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-IiVeGAydE

Someone's taking a stab at an indie film adaptation of TINAD.

I thought it was very well done.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I always imagined Marian with a craggier appearance, along with a couple other casting quibbles, but Grey was absolutely perfect - although the adaptation drops where his name comes from in what could have been a great insert shot.

Very promising. I assume they'll only be adapting the first half, seeing as after that the effects burden shoots up dramatically.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Akumeoy posted:

[laudatory] What a world we'd be in if the wiki tone overall was more like yours than :words: :reddit: :words:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Akumeoy posted:

I read this for a few minutes and it seems like a whole lot of whining and complaining about stuff that doesn’t matter to anyone, including you. You seem to go out of your way to emphasize how little you care about this subject you have written one trillion words about, and somehow I believe you on that. I have no clue why you made this or why anyone would read it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Akumeoy posted:

This is an April Fools prank, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Akumeoy posted:

Please stop doing this to yourself.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

"NOTHING OF VALUE".

It's viscerally satisfying, but some people on the talk page say it doesn't really do enough: "all punchline and no substance".

Are they right or wrong?

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

I'm inclined to agree with Djoric in the discussion page -- this is only worth a brief aside in a tale.

quote:

"Oh, they don't have Harry Potter in this timeline. Some football hooligans mucked about with a time machine and accidentally made it so Rowling never had the idea."

"Really? And the Foundation didn't bother setting things right?"

"The Council decided it wasn't worth the effort. Only real difference is we're short one boy wizard and one transphobic billionaire."
Or something to that effect.

Also, the mechanics of Rowling not creating Harry Potter in the new reality (couldn't catch the train where she purportedly planned the entire story out) implicitly buys into her self-mythologizing about the genesis of the series. Which isn't like, a mortal sin, but it's a funny detail to take her word about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That train is where she would have grabbed a napkin and written the words that defined a generation of readers: “The snake is an Indonesian woman.”