Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Kids aren't stupid you know; they can handle a greater story than "power of friendship buy our merch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He's ice type which automatically means he sucks balls.

Smogonfag spotted

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DoubleDonut posted:

I like most new pokes but oh man the starters in X and Y are god awful. Like they even put in the gen 1 starters so you could use them instead.

That's my opinion on new pokemons

[insert Internet Toughguy Speech]

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

Slur posted:

The franchise ran out of ideas as soon as they decided that players wanted to fight the eight gyms and elite four again.

gently caress you

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

Smogonfag spotted

it's an objective fact that ice is a bad type to be

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Sentret and furret are absolutely the worst route 1 normal types ever

What the gently caress, I had a furret named Chloe that I used in my X playthrough and she was great

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raticate- has guts, actually useable attack and speed stats, especially for early in the game

Linoone- the best HM slave ever, and also not too shabby attacking stats, plus pickup. a great mon for the story runthrough, and he even has the belly drum extremespeed thing in comp

Bibarel- three awesome abilities, one of which is so good they banned it. and he's part water type

Watchhog- honestly probably the second worse rat, but he has hypnosis which is kind of cool.

Diggersby- motherfuckin diggersby tho??? hello??!

Furret- terrible stats, movepool, and looks retarded. case closed.

Soral
May 30, 2009

actually, furret is cute, like zigzagoon.

Soral
May 30, 2009

sentret does indeed look retarded, however

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Soral posted:

actually, furret is cute, like zigzagoon.

THey're both stupid.

Dec 26, 2012

AtlasToked posted:

gently caress you

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

mabels big day posted:

it's an objective fact that ice is a bad type to be

true, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of cool ice pokemon. Glalie, Vanilluxe, Walrein, Avalugg, the list goes on

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Actually, if you'll look closely, you'll see that Furret is actually a cute as hell motherfucker. And, as we all know, the coolest and cutest looking Pokemon are the best Pokemon.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
If you don't only use the most powerful pokemon with the best type coverage then SMFH

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Seriously, they couldn't crank the difficulty level at all between games? I plowed through my free copy of Pokemon Y only using 2 Pokemon: Charizard and that frog thing which wasted a character slot in Smash Bros.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Slur posted:

Seriously, they couldn't crank the difficulty level at all between games? I plowed through my free copy of Pokemon Y only using 2 Pokemon: Charizard and that frog thing which wasted a character slot in Smash Bros.

make your own difficulty by gimping yourself. use worse pokemon, do a nuzlocke so if they faint you can't use them anymore. don't use experience share. do shift mode instead of set. all of these things make the game harder.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Slur posted:

i see people talk about doing this a lot but that sounds like the most boring way to play pokemon imaginable to me. the whole appeal is being able to catch and train your own unique team of pokemon, sticking with only one or two is just like, why even bother playing pokemon then. i don't get it

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
i did a wonderlocke of X and it was challenging and fun as heck

the above two posters are correct, but the guy with the haunter av meant "set" instead of "shift" mode. shift mode is literally for casuals

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

X and Y is actually has a pretty tough level curve if you don't use the EXP share at all and do nuzlocke rules.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Raticate- has guts, actually useable attack and speed stats, especially for early in the game

Linoone- the best HM slave ever, and also not too shabby attacking stats, plus pickup. a great mon for the story runthrough, and he even has the belly drum extremespeed thing in comp

Bibarel- three awesome abilities, one of which is so good they banned it. and he's part water type

Watchhog- honestly probably the second worse rat, but he has hypnosis which is kind of cool.

Diggersby- motherfuckin diggersby tho??? hello??!

I wish Diggersby got Huge Power as a regular ability instead of a faggy hidden ability. I hate hidden abilities.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mabels big day posted:

X and Y is actually has a pretty tough level curve if you don't use the EXP share at all and do nuzlocke rules.

If you turn off exp share and put battle mode on Set and keep 6 pokemon it gets kinda interesting. Idk about the other nuzlocke rules though they're usually pretty gay

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

I wish Diggersby got Huge Power as a regular ability instead of a faggy hidden ability. I hate hidden abilities.

dumb design decision # a million by gamefreak.

Chill Penguin posted:

i did a wonderlocke of X and it was challenging and fun as heck

the above two posters are correct, but the guy with the haunter av meant "set" instead of "shift" mode. shift mode is literally for casuals

yeah whoops

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
the rules i used for my wonderlocke-

-first pokemon caught on each new area must be wonder traded. you can wonder trade again up to 2 times if you get something that is way overleveled or something you already have/caught.
-not allowed to purchase items or use items in battle
-set battle mode, obviously
-if a pokemon is KOed, it is dead and can no longer be used. some people say, release them, but i just put them in a box in my PC labeled "RIP". there is no functional difference
-when you enter a new area you must complete it before going back to a pokemon center

My most useful pokemon ended up being poo poo like Illumise, because it had Wish so it could heal my other party members, and I think I had somethign with aromatherapy or heal bell as well.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Slur posted:

Also nobody likes hidden stats

I have no problem with EVs, they kinda make sense and let you do interesting builds, and all in all EV training isn't that much of a hassle. It'd be nice just use proteins and whatever for all of the EV points, or pay to reset stats, but otherwise hte concept is pretty sound.

Natures are a little worse. Again, it lets you work with different builds and do neat stuff. The real problem are all of the Neutral natures that don't effect any stats, which you Never want. And then most pokemon only want one or two natures at most (+attack or +speed) making the process of working for natures a pain in the rear end unless you're breeding. I can live with it though.

Abilities are sick and they're a really good addition. A lot are brokenly good or completely useless but otherwise its good. The real problem is the 50/50 chance for an ability which is gay, and then hidden abilities are even worse. gently caress that. Just include a third ability from the outset.

IVs are the absolute worst. They serve no purpose but to make one pokemon objectively better than another. One with 31 in all stats is going to be better than one with 0 in all stats. There's no way to change them, ever. Each one is randomly assigned but can be somewhat manipulated through breeding, which, even now, is still a pain in the rear end.

Breeding as it stands now is a completely messed up system. You have 3 separate random variables that you need to manipulate to get the pokemon you want. To remedy this, Gamefreak just adds a bunch of tedious gameplay concepts (different hold items and abilities and etc to manipulate the breeding) rather than just solving the problem from the outset and getting rid of crap like IVs and making it so that finding the nature/ability you want, either in the wild (especially) or through breeding, is simple and easy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Borsche you have some really good opinions on pokemon.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
IVs, EVs, natures, and breeding are all really cool and easier to manipulate than ever. I've never bred "competetive" pokemon until gen 6, and now I have a dope lil squad .

battle me in double if you will

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I would like it if a way to change Natures and IVs was added. A way to change a Pokemon's ability to its hidden ability would be nice too. Lock them behind the battle tower or w/e like the ability capsule if they don't want it to be easy to do, I just would like to be able to continue using the Pokemon I caught during the main game instead of having to breed new guys specifically for competitive play.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd like to play a Pokemon game where you're in one of the main regions, but the aim isn't to get all badges and become champion. The postgame sidequest in XY with the little hobo girl and her cat was a good start, but it was confined to a single city.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

IVs, EVs, natures, and breeding are all really cool and easier to manipulate than ever. I've never bred "competetive" pokemon until gen 6, and now I have a dope lil squad .

battle me in double if you will

Easier to manipulate than ever doesn't mean poo poo. It's still unnecessarily tedious and not fun at all. It's basically work.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mabels big day posted:

also bidoof

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014
getting bred pokemon is like having a friend that owns a pool. all you need is a friend who breeds pokemon, and you use the hell out of him/her

it would be really cool if gamefreakpokemoncompany would add more interesting passive abilities, like how the electric type cannot be parallelized by thunder wave

it would also be really cool if they updated some of the pokemons stats

also, where is my mega probopass gamefreakpokemoncompany?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AtlasToked posted:

getting bred pokemon is like having a friend that owns a pool. all you need is a friend who breeds pokemon, and you use the hell out of him/her

it would be really cool if gamefreakpokemoncompany would add more interesting passive abilities, like how the electric type cannot be parallelized by thunder wave

it would also be really cool if they updated some of the pokemons stats

also, where is my mega probopass gamefreakpokemoncompany?

You can get any bred pokemon from Games goons but for every chill person that will trade you their rejects for next to nothing, there's a million guys that want poo poo that takes a ton of effort.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can get any bred pokemon from Games goons but for every chill person that will trade you their rejects for next to nothing, there's a million guys that want poo poo that takes a ton of effort.

i said friends man, if they don't let you use the hell out of their rejects and or don't straight up breed you some, then they aren't friends

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AtlasToked posted:

i said friends man, if they don't let you use the hell out of their rejects and or don't straight up breed you some, then they aren't friends

I don;t know anyone who admits to playing pokemon to that level irl.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014
do you go to college they are all over the place

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If online friends count, then a few of my badgame pals have given me some fairly deec trades in the past.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AtlasToked posted:

do you go to college they are all over the place

I go to adult's college.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I go to adult's college.

lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Easier to manipulate than ever doesn't mean poo poo. It's still unnecessarily tedious and not fun at all. It's basically work.

And more, the pokemon Games thread will keep bitching if you use hacked in pokemons to save time, because they're utter retards that think busywork is enjoyable.
Same ones that play korean mmorpgs, ofc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

• Locked thread