Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

smart choice, imo.

it was pretty obvious he got extremely lucky with minecraft considering he has yet to produce anything else of note (including any updates to minecraft itself). he had a space shooter that was going to be made and then there was scrolls but i haven't seen anything else.

makes sense he wants to get bought out my microsoft. I would in his position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah, me too.

Dec 26, 2012

however much he made it was totally worth it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

he sold a game on beta for 2 billion lmfao

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Notch is p much the dream scenario of every game dev. Make a gently caress ton of money on your game without publishers or having a large company to support. Then after you make you gently caress ton on every platform every you sell the rest to Microsoft for another gently caress ton on top of the first

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

he sold a game on beta for 2 billion lmfao

MC has been out of beta for like, two years. And it was 2.5 Billion, which is a whole shitlord more.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

he made a second game which is a parody of skyrim and can only be bought with dogecoins

Dec 26, 2012

Mach2 posted:

MC has been out of beta for like, two years. And it was 2.5 Billion, which is a whole shitlord more.

after the first billion or so its pretty much academic

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

he totally did it because he didnt want to be a symbol guys

2.5 billion is just a nice side effect

hmmm 2.5 billion is a lot of moola, I think if I had 2.5 bil Id get an internet meme carved out the side of a mountain

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
can i have some money notch?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Minecraft videos all the way down

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

thank Goodness he can work on his first person c++ programming simulator in space now

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Microsoft bought minecraft because nobody will notice the difference between pixilated textured blocks in 720p compared to 1080p.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dude in games thread posted:

I'm not saying what Notch has done here is in any way honorable.

notch's actions are as cold as the hokkaido night.... most dishonorable...

[deer scare clatters as sakura fall]

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
This means he can afford to fund Psychonauts 2 now, right

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
IT WAS NOT VERY HONORABLE TO SELL YOUR BRICK STACKING GAME FOR TWO POINT FIVE BILLION DOLLARS, SEMPAI!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

DoubleDonut posted:

This means he can afford to fund Psychonauts 2 now, right

he could afford it before but realized that tim schafer shouldnt be trusted with money

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

elf help book posted:

he could afford it before but realized that tim schafer shouldnt be trusted with money

This is the real secret of Monkey Island.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Games thread is getting weird

OwlFancier posted:

My response to people talking to me when I don't want to is to turn my phone off.

I can't always do that because my boss calls me sometimes, but my boss can do that because he's in charge.

And if you are the boss, and you don't want to do boss stuff, you can appoint someone else as the boss, if you're a nice boss, you can appoint someone capable as the boss. If you're a terrible boss, you can appoint whoever slips you £50 during the interview.

I don't really hold with people letting their own internal inability to cope affect other people's lives, nor can I really understand it because that is the first responsibility of any decent human being. Don't be a fuckup and ruin other people's lives. I have difficulty believing that the people who have been working on minecraft for the past few years are going to be thrilled about working for microsoft now.

Just because you didn't ask for responsibility doesn't mean you get to say no it it. Nobody asks for most of the responsibility in their life, you didn't ask to be born but you were so you'd better make a good job of it. I don't have patience for people who don't make an effort in that department.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't undertand how it could possibly be worth 2.5b

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

fronz posted:

I don't undertand how it could possibly be worth 2.5b

Have you ever met a small child who likes minecraft? They get obsessed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

children don't have 2.5 billion dollars idiot. think before you post

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

oddium posted:

children don't have 2.5 billion dollars idiot. think before you post

this is what killed the turbografx

Dec 26, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Games thread is getting weird

what even prompted that post

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

elf help book posted:

this is what killed the turbografx
i think you mean the neo geo

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

01011001 posted:

what even prompted that post

People saying Notch taking billions was a good move

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

i think you mean the neo geo

Do not pursue Neo Geo

Dec 26, 2012

Widestancer posted:

People saying Notch taking billions was a good move

lmfao

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I think notch is a cool guy and considering he never asked for massive fame I don't blame him for trying to slide out of the public eye tia

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah notch is a p cool guy. one time notch made fun of autistic kids in an interview because he's p cool. i can't find it now though

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
he could burn a million a week and not run out for fifty years

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
more game devs should do this

all of them

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I cant imagine having that much money

like what do you even do with it

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
I am jealous I didnt invent internet legos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AE-35 Unit posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Attack-Rivaille-Decorative-Hugging-Double-sided/dp/B00E8ZCZU6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z6GH8MA4CBC0XGD0EN6

ill take 15

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

Mach2 posted:

I think notch is a cool guy and considering he never asked for massive fame I don't blame him for trying to slide out of the public eye tia

Yeah, there was a time where he probably enjoyed it a little, but with the millions that minecraft has already made him and 2.5 billion on top of it he has the resources to pick the life he wants.

After reading his blog post it makes more sense. I'm just annoyed about his "if I make something that starts becoming popular again I'll kill it" statement. 0x10c looked really good, and I'm sure he'll make something else that looks good. And we'll never get to play anything other than his tiny ludlum dare entries because he won't even release his half finished games when he abandons them.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

he should make a poll and fund whatever monstrosity a large group of people vote for

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

im really looking forward to seeing this moment of gaming history played out dramatically in the notch biopic starring ryan reynolds as notch

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Microsoft bought minecraft because nobody will notice the difference between pixilated textured blocks in 720p compared to 1080p.

Have you seen the size of the xbox? You'd need a lot of bricks to fill that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

AE-35 Unit posted:

For reals

Like, how do you even store that much money goddamn

• Locked thread