Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
poo poo, I nearly forgot about this game haha. What are the different pre-order options? I want to know where to buy to get the best bonus car.

Also, since they are using real life city names, I did some work on Google Maps. Sisteron to Nice is 179km and Castelletto (which is difficult to determine EXACTLY where in Italy it is to me, but it appears to be near Genoa) is roughly 195km to Nice.

It will be interesting to see how big it is, and how it's scaled. Because the airstrip at the top of the map is as long as the city of Nice! So it's either scaled weird, or that is, in fact, the longest airstrip...IN THE WORLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Demo seems pretty neat but I have to go back and drive the other two cars, as I only spent a little time in the Bowler, which is cool.

Initial thoughts:
- In cockpit view, it's really fun to drive through the plants and trees.
- I had a lot better traction in the wet than I thought I would. It'll be fun to see how a RWD car handles.
- I finished last place in the 1st race and my car felt like it kept bogging down. When I set my assists, I went the wrong way on the brakes and accidentally set them to "assisted" instead of "abs off" so that was user error but man, that SUCKED haha.
- Visually the game is pretty impressive. However, I do have a slight concern that the map is a little small based only on driving around the demo map.

Also it will be interesting to see to what degree tuning will play a role. I know they made it so that you can tune just like in regular Forza, but dialing in a track setup is a lot different than making something that drives on roads and offroad. I guess we'll see. One of the things I enjoyed about the first Horizon was that I could just throw parts on a car and drive it without too much thought. Hopefully I don't miss that.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
My loving xbox has turned off two times while downloading this game. Why don't they make it so that can't happen? 81%...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Atmus posted:

There will be soon (if not already), I stayed up way too goddamn late trying to unlock the club thing and gave up after like 3 hours.
Why the gently caress do they do this? Don't they know that Clubs is a big feature pretty much everyone wanted back? Why do they make you grind through the beginning of the game to access a key feature? What if I don't want to start on the story right away and just want to hoon around with my friends? loving come on!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

So what's the word on the mountain pass driving? Anything similar to Fujimi. It is seriously one of the biggest deciding factors for me. :v:
Sounds like everyone's stuck on the tutorial levels so far!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I ended up going out last night but woke up early and played a bit this morning. Seems like a really fun game. Hopefully the cars handle better when they're tuned. I was driving the stock Z4 for the first two locations (didn't do any upgrades/tuning yet) and it kinda handled like a couch. I'll be on this evening and hopefully some of yall will be as well, maybe get into some multiplayer or something.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I found in the previous Horizon and also in this one that driving in 3rd person view works better for me. I feel like it lets me see more of the environment and makes navigating about easier. I still prefer hood cam and sometimes cockpit view for FM4/5 though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I think when you're in a club it gives you certain bonuses when you do races with other club members.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
It's starting to defeat gravity! Good pictures, man.

This game looks really, really good. Had a lot of fun playing around with it last night mostly just doing championship stuff.

Question: Can you actually win cars from the Wheelspin thing? All I've managed to get is credit bonuses, and I'm at like level 16 or something.

And what someone else said earlier, I wouldn't mind a very basic character creator for the next Horizon. Something as basic as male/female, skin tone, hair color, and a few clothes items.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

A c E posted:

Except when you only get like 5K. That has happened to me twice now.
At least with VIP it doubles your credits.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I honestly don't know why they don't list the manufacturers, and then you click on the manufacturers to view the cars, like FM4. Only thing I can think of is so that you're forced to look at all the DLC cars you don't have so you get so mad about not having access to them that you begrudgingly give them all of your moneys for DLC. Yeah, that worked on me in FM5 so maybe that's the angle.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If it were my decision I'd have gone with the lottery one, driving around is the whole point of the game! I don't think I ever used Fast Travel in Horizon 1, and the map really doesn't seem as big as they made it out to be in this one so I'm not likely going to use it now.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

pvax posted:

Seeking some clarification please :) I'm just asking about the main career stuff. I'm not counting Barn Finds, Bucket List, and Showcase events here.

Now ... Xbone

Is the Xbone info accurate??? Are all of these 672 race events completely unique!?!?? Or do you see a lot of repeat events popping up? Even if they aren't .. that's a crazy difference
I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I remember reading somewhere that they said FH2 on the One has over 100 hours of gameplay.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

real_scud posted:

Yes it does, I hope you also went to the aero section and put on the awesome Forza front splitter, because it makes it 100% more awesome.
The Race Roll Cage looks fuckin' sweet on that thing too.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
He's not even wearing a loving helmet!!!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Regarding tuning setups, I've experimented with some of the apps and spreadsheets throughout FM4 and FM5, and the simplest thing I found is what actually gives me the best results.

Three Minute Tune

The main thing I change is brakes. I NEVER change it to 40% bias without driving the car first. I don't think I've ever built a car that had anything more extreme than 47%. Also for brake pressure I crank it up to like 140% but I know most of you guys I've talked to like it closer to 100 so this should be good.

This generally gives me a very good base to work from, with only a couple tweaks really needed. Note that I haven't tried this in Horizon yet. I've just been driving cars with parts on them, no tuning.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Atmus posted:

You've mentioned this before, I think. Do you use pedals or something? I usually have the brake pressure down to around 90 or so as to just barely lock the brakes on a panic stop with warm tires. Is this something I'm doing wrong?
I use the controller.

Brake pressure is one of the least tuning-dependant things you can change on your setup in regard to how the vehicle behaves. Basically, I just barely have to pull the trigger to make it brake, and it's actually a lot easier to lock up. However, it's what I've always used and what I'm used to.

Using 90% is just fine, but if I drove a car at 90%, I'd fly off at every corner because to me the car would feel like it's not stopping.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Second place is for wiggers

(and fags)
Love the pics

T Bowl posted:

But the winning car is pink?????
Pink car best car.

Dramicus posted:

Everything about that is amazing.
Ditto.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I actually had some time to play yesterday and finally finished the Finale. It was pretty fun, I raced in an A700 Ferrari F355. I've still got a good amount of stuff to do in the game, so I think there will be a bit more longevity than the first Horizon.

As far as the wheelspin goes, I'm somewhere around level 60 I think, and I've gotten only 2 or 3 car awards. I'm getting a LOT of really low level prizes as well, mostly under 20,000CR. So you're getting pretty good luck man, good on ya.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
A couple other questions about Drivatars while we're on the subject.

- Do people who have Forza 5 have their Drivatars imported automatically, even if they don't have the game? I've seen a few people I recognize who are Level 1 constantly, like I see Endbuster, and I'm pretty sure he said he didn't have Horizon 2.

- You know when you're driving around and Anna's like "Hey, one of Horizon's best drivers is in the area, I've marked him on the map." Does the game pick these at random? I've raced a couple that were tough, but the last couple I've raced have been like level 5 or 9, and pretty slow.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Had a chance to play some video games last night. I got a Lancia and took a couple pictures. This car is really a lot of fun.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

This game is rad, is there anyway to cusotmize your character though?
Nope. You get white bread. I get white bread. We all get white bread!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

FAILURE posted:

Also enjoying beating your times in Forza 5 rivals :)
Guess I'll have to fire that game up and check :madmax:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

hanyolo posted:

Ah drat, looks like I will have to learn to drive without abs or tcs :smith:
Yeah, trying to drift w/ TCS on probably won't work out very well!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

geeves posted:

I'm not seeing an X + B transmission option like in Forza 5 and the first FH. I'm an idiot though and probably just missing it.
I think it just lists the option in the controls as "Swap Handbrake and Clutch" and you toggle it "On/Off", I could be mistaken though. It's definitely there, as that's how I drive.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Delorean?
Hopefully it'll be something new, not something they ported in from FM4. I have no idea what the "most requested" cars are now that the original Mini is in the game.

This will get me to pick this game back up!

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 16, 2014

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

plus a new barn find car (which we’re keeping secret for now)
Literally the one piece of information I was hoping to see in that article.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Haven't had a chance to play the expansion yet...just looked up what the barn find is. I have a hard time believing the MG METRO XR6 is one of the most requested cars they've ever had. Not super stoked for it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

Where is the team that made it based, if it's the UK that might explain it. I was kinda hoping it'd be the Pikes Peak thing that shows up in several of the Gran Tourismo games, or a VW Thing, give me a conversion to turn a bug into one and I'll be happy.
Playground Games is based in England. Turn 10 is based in the US. I do know the Forza games have a great presence in Europe, as most of the clubs with the fastest drivers are based in Europe (DTM, FRS, ONR, etc...) However, I was guessing the "most requested" thing would be based on the threads on the forzamotorsport.net forums where they always have "request a car" threads running.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm dying to get online, too. It's just not the right time of year. There's a really cool spec race tomorrow night at 10pm EST with the GRC folks (see the FM5 thread) and I haven't even had time to get a car ready.
I'm working all through the holidays, but after New Years when things settle down, I hope to look people up on the weekends for some multiplayer.
The first new GRC race is Jan. 7th unless I missed something...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Underwhelmed posted:

I just joined. Tier 5 is a pretty lonely place right now.
That resets every month, doesn't it? I haven't played in quite a while and after picking Forza 5 back up the other day, I might get back into this game.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

WienerDog posted:

Valentino didn't come through?
Haha that was a good story

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't bought any DLC for this game yet, but looks like I'll be firing it up and snagging The Best SUV...IN THE WOOORRRRLLLLDDD.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ethanol posted:

can we take a moment to appreciate this

Absolutely.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I am very excited about this and I dont care who knows it. I hope it includes a whole new area and isnt just a car/mission pack but for 10 bucks its hard to tell.

edit - well I just googled where the movie takes place and Europe wasnt mentioned anywhere so I guess maybe there will be a new area? I am interested to learn more.
Well, a line in the press release says "Players will take part in a series of thrilling car challenges set in the idyllic south of France, challenges inspired by both the Fast & Furious films and Forza’s legendary gameplay." so I wouldn't bet on getting any new map areas. Also it's being released for free for the first two weeks, so if you act fast, you won't have to part with your :10bux:

• Locked thread