Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Before long, we'll be reminiscing about about back in the day when TFF was great and posters were REAL posters who didn't complain about posting speed :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

At this point, I don't even want you slow posting, split thread lamers in my thread. :colbert: Keep the CBS/FOX/RZC split. Us old school :cool: kids know where to hang out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Only opened between 2:04 AM to 2:18 AM Zulu Time every other Wednesday.
That's 9:04 - 9:18pm Eastern so not the worst except on Sundays.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TubeStank posted:

Now that byes have started are we going back to the big thread? I ask partially because I love the big thread, but also check out this viewing chart for Sunday:

Pretty much everybody gets the lovely GB / CHI game on Fox.
Absolutely go with 1 big thread this week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pigdog posted:

At the moment I don't livepost football with goons because 85% of the chat is about other ongoing games which is noise at best and spoilers at worst. It's like rolling half the TVIV threads into one megathread and attempt to post about, say, Sons of Anarchy, while the majority of the posts are Game of Thrones spoilers and whatnot.

One big thread sucks one big cock.
Spoiling other ongoing games? :what:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MonsterWalk posted:

We don't need three threads today, there are like 4 games on.
Agreed. Hopefully today will show the split thread zealots the error of their ways.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TubeStank posted:

Because they're slower and more boring and it doesn't improve gameday posting.

Plus then the CBS people missed out on some Bears fan breaking his table and blaming it on his dog.
Lol did that really happen? That would have been awesome to experience and now I'm pissed split threads robbed me of that. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TubeStank posted:

Yep.

TBH this was more interesting than the games were.
Lol that he tried to blame it on his dog. Like anyone would believe that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Just keep 2 tabs open and refresh them both?
A lot of us post from phones. And it's a hackneyed workaround for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't want my experience made worse just to cater to millenials pecking away at their phone
The experience was made worse when we split the threads. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

This. I'd like to be able to keep up with my thread, not find myself like 5 pages behind when I take a piss run, and still be able to watch and follow the game too.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're trying to read every post in a GDT, you're holding reading it wrong.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

football fuckerman posted:

Welp I guess we knew this was part of the philosophy with one big thread but this is kind of why they are awful.

Why would we have a thread where people post without reading? What kind of thread does that produce
Perhaps I can clarify. I've always treated GDTs like a chat room - they're for talking about what's going on right now. For me, if I get food or go to the bathroom or something, I don't bother reading the old posts because they don't pertain to what's going on live, and I assumed in my previous post that nobody would. But if you do, that's your prerogative. If you go away for 5 or 10 minutes, yes, you can read the posts you've missed, but until you catch up, you won't be able to participate in live discussion.

The alternative is split threads where you leave for 5 minutes and only have to catch up on 1 page instead of 3, but there will be a lot of page refreshes that don't yield new posts, and that's a much worse scenario.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 1, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

The main argument for one thread is that you might miss something if it's split. Meanwhile, it's been suggested that all you need to do to keep up with the megathread is skip chunks of it because, of course you can't read all of it.
As contradictory as this may seem, it's not that hard to block off 1:05pm-4:15pm if you want the full GDT experience. Quick bathroom breaks, don't go out for food.

With split threads, you're guaranteed to not have the full experience.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chris de Sperg posted:

got any tips on good budget catheters bro
Ya just get some 1/3" tubing from Home Depot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

so why text instead of call
because football is on

god
country
football
mom

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Febreeze posted:

For me GDTs were always places to post our lols and see reactions when something stupid happens. But maybe that's because I tend to watch football with other people who I can talk to instead of posting and hoping someone decides to chat back.
Get out of here with your bourgeois watching football with friends routine. The rest of us loners need the company of GDTs to make it through the week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

football fuckerman posted:

I like the split threads because the one i care about moves slow enough that i can read every post and respond to them. you know, a conversation

i know i'm in the minority in expecting a conversation on a forum, but i can yell dumb poo poo into empty space irl if i want to
GDTs are no place for civilized conversation :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wheez the roux posted:

im making an old school gdt megathread next sunday. split thread posters go ahead and do your thing in your balkanized subthreads ain't no one gonna stop yall but im gonna post like no one is watching :justpost:
Please name it in a way that makes people realize it a catch-all megathread. I don't want fence sitters to be drawn to one of the network threads.

Borsche69 posted:

This poll has been up for a month, where are all these new votes coming from.
LOL if you think people are responsible voters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SlipUp posted:

Maybe retry the poll with no third option and get some of these fencesitters to make up their minds.
And don't let it allow you to vote for multiple options.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Maybe a mod is manipulating votes. I'm just asking questions here. :tinfoil:
Reddit is everywhere. :tinfoil:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I have no problem with people wanting to post useless garbage about chicken nuggets or mmorpgs or gender politics like in todays GDT but making people who would rather just post about football have to deal with that too is imo unfair.
Split threads wouldn't prevent this from happening hth

African AIDS cum posted:

Just went to take the dogs out and i'm now 300 posts behind and i'll just have to call Eddie Lacey a fat piece of trash to myself
This can't be a serious post. "I went swimming for an hour and now I've missed out on posts that for some reason I want to read even though I'm not watching that part of the game why can't you cater to my illogical desires."

Borsche69 posted:

If you just wanted a post that was specifically "just LOl or Oh My God" then here's one by itself http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671437&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post436158216 I mean I have no idea what your argument is. Everyone knows that these kinds of posts take up the majority of the GDTs.
These posts do not take up a majority of the GDTs. Not even close.

Borsche69 posted:

See, like, if you want to just spam a bunch of whitenoise LOL and Oh My God, I don't see a good reason why you can't just do that on IRC or twitter. Like those programs are specifically for that crap.
That didn't happen except when it was appropriate. It didn't prevent "discussion" of the games.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 13, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

I enjoyed the CBS split threads where I could talk to other Ravens posters during the game, and then also the posters of the other team that week.
You can still do this in a megathread. The primary effect of split threads is not that it makes having localized conversations a little easier. The primary effect is that TFF becomes a cluster of 4 person conversations, and the lack of a sense of community discourages participation.

Think of it this way. If you go to a sports bar on a Saturday or Sunday, it might be a little more difficult to have conversations amongst your friends compared to watching at home, but it's still very doable. Because we don't have enough posters in TFF to support split threads, you're effectively asking everyone to stay out of the sports bar when the whole point is to experience the atmosphere and excitement of being around other fans.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ramadu posted:

All the new seahawks posters, i.e. african aids cum and lord waffle beard began crying about it for some dumb reason. I think it sucks right now and I really don't feel like posting because it doesn't feel the same. THough I like the all in one SNF/MNF/TNF games because it feels like we are a forum of posters and not segregated into timezone ghettos. Its a travesty that its come to this honestly.
We've let a few crazies ruin everything. We are the Republican party.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

axeil posted:

Yeah pretty much. QCS is like high student government for the forums.

Although I liked high school student government so V:shobon:V
Except in this case, the student government has implemented the unequivocally wrong policy. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TubeStank posted:

It's more that you're complaining that people are posting about a game that people are watching that isn't your game. There were a handful of DONK posts when it happened, but it was contained to one page. It was nothing like what you were saying it was and if it was then it would be incredibly easy to find the page(s) that the posts happened on. You were watching Browns / Jags and there aren't a huge amount of Browns or Jags fans here and it wasn't really a game that many people were interested in watching, so...sorry that the thread wasn't talking about it much? Splitting the threads up won't do anything to fix that, but instead allows single games to dominate that thread even more.

The gameday threads have been megathreads forever. Even in split threads the posting was the exact same as it was in the megathread. It just slowed them down and made it more boring.
Since I missed the day games, I'll defer to you. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

korrandark posted:

Why not just have combined threads on weeks that have teams on byes, and split threads on weeks were there aren't?

Weeks 1-3 13-17 Split threads
Weeks 4-12 Combined threads

It isn't an even 50/50 split, but it's as close as you're going to get with a seventeen week schedule.
I would be okay with this, just because the split thread people will learn the error of their ways then there's a dearth of content in their threads come week 13. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Balkanized has been used more in this thread than any modern European history class.

• Locked thread