Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
So Ive had this (box and all) since it shipped and never had any time to sit and focus on it.

If I just play the Directors Cut am I missing anything interesting experience-wise compared to the original version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Well so much for the Directors cut. Installed it on the old desktop not realizing its 64 bit only. I hate playing games on a laptop so its the original version for me. Hopefully with patch 6 its good enough.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

I just found out earlier today that the original version did get an upgrade, it added a feature where Brother None pops up on Steam and makes fun of you if you are still playing it :smith:
If thats real then tell his dumb rear end to send you a check for a new computer. If not then ... skip that :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Alchenar posted:

So rather than being an interesting or meaningful choice it's just 'gently caress you player, decide now which map of content you don't get to experience'.
Sometimes you make choices without perfect information at hand. Get over it.

The neurotic completionist thing needs to die.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Its not an MMO and youre not "locked out".

You own it, and like a CYOA book you can do something different to see what happens.

Its pretty "meaningful" that they set it up to make it clear that "things are happening in the world", and your one little team is not in charge of them all. Two people need help right now, at the same time, pick one and hope for the best.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
The call said explicitly that there was no one else close enough to get there.

There arent that many Rangers. There arent that many people.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

the level cap is apparently 20 higher.
Just in the DC, or also in the final version of the original?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

Good question. I am about to find out! But I think just in the Director's Cut.

Also I am kind of glad they changed the "shoot the sniper" thing since seemingly nothing of note happens if you save her anyway.
The entertainment box wont be upgrading anytime soon. Hopefully that made it into the 32 bit version. :(

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

OAquinas posted:

It's not like you'd get the Dread Raider Chainsaw to admit that he's actually an accountant from Boulder who was serving time for embezzlement.

Tom was an insurance salesman before the energy apocalypse when he became a murderous terrorizing officer in one of the neo-armies.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

crashdome posted:

I drained my wallet as soon as that one weapon trader showed up. Now I can't afford bullets for all the 7.62 weapons I just bought and everyone's dragging their feet because they are so heavy.

Basically every fight is my sweaty asthmatic team huffing their way to a position, leaning on trees and broken walls because they are so tired

:america:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

I think they got too focused on the whole nostalgia aspect of the thing. They seemed to think that people really wanted an old school RPG like WL1
It was true. Remember that this is the KS that paved the way for PoE and Torment 2.

This game needed to do what it did. It revived the entire market, and now they can branch out more.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's some irony to be found in these classic games being Kickstarted by adults who no longer have the time to play them.
:(

This happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

horse mans posted:

So I'm going to go back and try and make it through Wasteland 1. The interface isn't that bad, honestly (though Interplay's Lord of the Rings RPG is slightly better), but where I find myself lost is the sheer inability to explore the game's content. It's so open-ended, and maybe this is just a lack of imagination on my part, but I can never figure out anything besides the most obvious way to do things.

For example (can't believe I'm spoilering a 22 year old game), when I get to Highpool, I managed to connect the note on the wall in the trader's building with the kid in the corner, and say the right words to make him say where the cave was. I managed to connect the dots and use Perception to locate it precisely, then rappel down with the rope. But apparently there's about a half dozen other things in Highpool that I missed, including using the crowbar on the door to the dorms to start an encounter.

Does anyone have any spoiler-free recommendations for getting into the right frame of mind about a game this expansive?
I dont know what to say explicitly, but youre on the right track. Thats how the games were before every game had QUEST HERE! maps and the internet had the answer to everything. Most people missed something, and that meant that everyone had a slightly different experience (and story they crafted in their head along the way) than everyone else. It was more fun to talk about with friends in that particular way too.

• Locked thread