Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I still don't know they they didn't just turn Survivor Series into a 3 or 4- way match and have Bret get pinned early by Undertaker or Shamrock if they were going to do that at the next PPV anyway. Was he seriously that opposed to losing in Montreal, or just trying to do anything to not have Shawn win the belt there whether Bret was pinned or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I was always a huge Bret mark but even then I thought it was silly that he wouldn't lose in Canada. He was a huge babyface there and what builds heat better than the face losing and angling for a comeback? Obviously he wouldn't be coming back, but I don't think he would have lost drawing power when moving to WCW, and WWF could have built to Owen vs. Shawn in a redemption-style match, but I guess Owen was in the dog house for the Austin deal.

Hypothetically what do you guys think would have happened to the wrestling landscape had Bret laid down clean for Shawn? WCW would have still wasted Bret, but would WWF have had the same success without the Mr. McMahon character's real heat from that event?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Survivor Series was a late shoot addition for WWS, it wasn't originally even going to be a part of the documentary so I don't believe anyone would have worked a shoot to influence a small Canadian documentary crew, for a movie that wouldn't be released until long after the fact when Bret was working for a different company.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Bret didn't think an outsider like Meltzer should have any access to the innerworkings of the business. Of course that changed as soon as Bret needed him to make sure his story was told.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Meltzer may have a different story, but in Bret's book he talked about how hard he worked to protect the business from the dirt sheets until after Montreal when he finally called up Meltzer to set the story straight (and presumably they have had some sort of relationship since then). Whether he really never talked to him before I can't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
It is absolutely unbelievable that anyone including Hogan could get creative control over wins/losses, but that's just how the business was back then when there was competition.

• Locked thread