Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-life_Room_Escape

Has anyone gone to one of these? I've been to a couple in the Vancouver area and they've been pretty fun.

What they are: If you don't know, Escape Rooms are places you and a team of friends go, get a scenario (like 'secret agent' or 'spy') and get locked into a puzzle room. The rooms are usually themed - I've seen a crime scene, insane asylum, Egyptian pyramid, etc. You have to find clues around the room and solve puzzles to advance, and then eventually escape to win. Usually you're then given a score and have your team name on a leader board if your team is successful. It's kind of a ground-floor market right now because they're only just starting to catch on worldwide, but expect to see a lot more of these in the near future.

Where they came from: These places basically came out of Escape the Room Flash games that were a big hit several years back. Eventually someone figured out it would be cool to do this in real life. It caught on across Asia - especially in Japan, China, and Singapore - and now they're gaining popularity in places like the UK and North America. I know New York City has a few springing up. They're especially popular for corporate team-building exercises. Companies will send a group of workers to these places as an activity to see how well they can work together.

Why I'm posting this: I have a personal interest in the reactions of goons to these places, because I just finished designing one for a game company. I'm mainly a filmmaker, but this past year I fell into working with an indie game company. That company was contracted out by a water park designer who went to an Escape Room and loved the concept - but thought their company could do a better job. So we spent about a month hashing out everything, planning all the puzzles, and then handed it off to builders. We're just now in the process of filming video segments for briefing players. I created and wrote the narrative of the game, and I co-created all of the puzzle designs and themes with 3 other designers, with team management from a game designer who has previously worked for Ubisoft and was a lead designer on some of the Assassin's Creed games. It was a lot of work but a really fun project. For us, our main issues with going to some of the other ones in our area were that there wasn't enough immersion (you're just told "you're a secret agent" with absolutely no other qualifiers), and that most of the puzzles are all the same (find 50 numbers around the room, use 6 of them in combination locks). They were also pretty small spaces, which we're aiming to change - we want multiple rooms and team-splitting, since these are so popular with corporate crowds.

I'll be able to update with more information as we get closer to launching, but I enjoy the concept and I've liked what I've seen from a lot of these so far. What have your experiences been like? Did you enjoy them or what could they do better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I haven't been to one, but I like the idea in principle. I'd imagine there are strong safety guidelines because you're locking people in a room for an hour.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yeah, I had to write a safety video too, which is currently being animated. Players also sign a waiver. We have to do certain things up to code too, like enough ventilation, panic buttons in the rooms in case of injury, easy access doors, etc.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
A guy I went to college with just opened one up a few blocks away from me. I've been meaning to try it out but haven't gotten enough people together to split the price down to something everyone will chip in for.

• Locked thread