Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It turns out I can stream this league for free on ESPN3, so I watched 6 matches on replay this weekend and am a Central Coast Mariners fan now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

bowmore posted:

as a jets fan i think i am obligated to call you something something coastie scum

More like Poocastle :smug:

Tongues posted:

Oh christ mate, although at least given their emphasis on youth you might have missed the very depths of their trough. I'm not sure what you know about the mariners, but a few years ago they were amazing and punching way above their weight by spending big and it paid off really well, then the new owners reoriented everything towards being sustainable and we all know what's good for business isn't necessarily best for on the pitch. They're an absolute factory of talent for a the national side though, and that is only going to increase now that they've got the centre of excellence up and running though I probably wouldn't get too attached to any young guns that show up.

Tldr: a good choice full of misery and woe, a proper footballing team selection.

The announcers actually talked quite a bit about the youth movement, and it's what drew me to the team. Apparently the owner wrote an open letter recently saying he wants them to be a home for exciting young players. If I'm gonna plastic for a team halfway around the world, it might as well be a team doing something fun!

Also: I hadn't looked at the table until this morning, but thank goodness this league followed the lead of the glorious MLS and doesn't have pro/rel.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It comes up pretty often actually but the reality is it'll take a long time before the supporter base is there to sustain a pro/rel system

I was being serious! Pro/rel is exciting, but it's hard to make work in brand new leagues in countries like Australia and the US where there's not an existing soccer culture

E: and it's comforting to know that MLS isn't the only league with batshit insane pro/rel trolls on twitter

camoseven fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 4, 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm watching the Adelaide vs Melbourne game now, and they're playing Wonderwall as the teams come out of the tunnels and are lining up for kickoff lol. This league rules.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It seems like any hands/arms to face, intentional or not, ends up being a red anymore. Which I kinda get, cause you shouldn't hit people in the face and it's hard to prove intent, but on the other hand zero-tolerance is dumb.

Unrelatedly, I am strongly considering purchasing a Connor Pain jersey cause his name is awesome, and he seems to be a pretty decent player.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It was only like 101 F. That's basically every game in July in any vaguely southern American city and we do just fine with one "drinks break" a half. Sounds like maybe Australia is full of wusses?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm no expert, but it seems like Australia should consider calling up Jamie Maclaren on a more regular basis.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Anyone know where I can stream this in the US? Every match was on ESPN3 last season, but I'm not seeing any games listed for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I’m so excited to resume being a Mariners plastic

• Locked thread