Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
SotN > Aria > SCIV > Rondo > everything else > Simon's Quest

tho the original version of Bloody Tears is the best imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

you love it too? :D

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
My brother says Ninja Gaiden Black is the best 3D Castlevania. Personally I enjoyed the N64 one.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I always forget the old carelessness have whip powerups until I play them because they're always like the first thing.that drops

I'll never understand why they bothered

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I meant castlevania.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ForeverSmug posted:

I meant castlevania.

good catch! castlevania is definitely not about carlessless.

in fact, its about cautious carefulness or you get hit by something, flinch backwards and oh poo poo that was a pit behind you game over dead.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Castlevania is about being extremely careful on stairs. Like, even if a monster is flying the gently caress right in your face, be EXTRA safe and don't run up the stairs- somebody might get hurt!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I dunno I feel like with the backflip move and being able to leap onto stairs the platforming and whip in rondo are fine. It's pretty methodical but your whip is a pretty decent size of the screen without being hilariously huge like in 4, and all the enemies/levels are designed around your gimp abilities so it's never super annoying.

also it lets you play as maria and show off just how much the games design breaks when you have a character who can move while attacking and jump decently

You're right, the platforming is a lot better than the NES games, although it still makes you commit to jumps unlike in IV where you can change direction in mid-air (or you can play as Maria and just double-jump to safety).

In Rondo of Blood, you can double tap left or right when whipping to extend it a bit, and when it happens it flashes white. I'm not sure what it's useful for, maybe just hitting the purple spear guys while staying out of their range.

ForeverSmug posted:

Castlevania is about being extremely careful on stairs. Like, even if a monster is flying the gently caress right in your face, be EXTRA safe and don't run up the stairs- somebody might get hurt!

In IV you can land on stairs and drop off them, in Rondo you can jump off stairs and land on them, and in the NES games you were loving glued to them. Konami even makes fun of this in Snatcher.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

In IV you can land on stairs and drop off them, in Rondo you can jump off stairs and land on them, and in the NES games you were loving glued to them. Konami even makes fun of this in Snatcher.

Lol what dude. That doesn't even make any sense.

How could you jump off of stairs once you were on them?

You mean jump over them, right?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

ForeverSmug posted:

Lol what dude. That doesn't even make any sense.

How could you jump off of stairs once you were on them?

You mean jump over them, right?

Uh. Guys? I think he had a stroke.

E: Oh I see. That was a joke. I see how you were making a joke. Good one.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Super Castlevania IV supremacy :c00lbert:

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Pope Guilty posted:

SotN > Aria > SCIV > Rondo > everything else > Simon's Quest

tho the original version of Bloody Tears is the best imo

i thought Dawn was better than Aria, if you take away how loving anime it is

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SGR posted:

i thought Dawn was better than Aria, if you take away how loving anime it is

The big thing I hate about it is that Aria, like sotn, has weapons lying around everywhere, such that you're frequently switching to a new one. Dawn only has a handful and wants you to burn off souls to upgrade them, which in my playthroughs has required grinding to upgrade post the first couple of weapons. First time I beat Dawn, I did it with a really weak axe because it was the best I had and I hadn't twigged to the fact that the upgrade system was mandatory.

Dawn also has a lot more graphics taken directly from sotn, making it feel cheap and rushed, even if its endgame is much better. And that Abbadon soul!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

also with dawn, i was rolling around with the mmax lucky boosting equipment/soul setup and...souls still almost never dropped.

if you're going to have system where you can use souls to upgrade weapons, dont have the enemy that drops soul needed to upgrade weapon appear in a total of two rooms in the entire castle, with a .03 percent drop rate, for a middling sword

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
both dawn and OOE are mega poo poo because they require you to grind stuff with hilariously bad drop rates

POR (the previously established best of the DS games) lets you get actually decent drop rates, and also doesn't have nearly as many optional powers/useful sidequest items behind grinding enemy drops (it's mostly just food)

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 24, 2014

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

sorry about your low luck stat

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

darealkooky posted:

both dawn and OOE are mega poo poo because they require you to grind stuff with hilariously bad drop rates

POR (the previously established best of the DS games) lets you get actually decent drop rates, and also doesn't have nearly as many optional powers/useful sidequest items behind grinding enemy drops (it's mostly just food)

PoR endgame for me was getting every single item in the game because why not? I was high enough level that I got a chance to pretty much try out all the gimmick powers/weapons and still be able to progress, and I could quit whenever because after 1000% map completion you're really just playing around with the mechanics for the sake of it anyway, the little ???s in the encyclopedia are just telling you where you should go fight things.

Dawn sucked because it consumed souls for the upgrades, meaning that to do a similar 100%ey sort of thing you had to get those souls twice, sometimes more if they were in multiple recipes (at least I think that happened?). If the game just checked if you had them and then allowed the upgrade it would have been way, way better because then you can actually use all the cool souls you're getting instead of worrying about whether or not it'll get used later, plus it'd actually let you use different weapons instead of being stuck with the same attack style forever. Part of why I love the Aria early game is because you're constantly getting new weapons, and at that point the damage difference between them is so negligible that you can just go with whatever you think feels best and that's fine.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

darealkooky posted:

neither of them actually require you to grind.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

None of the Castlevania games require you to grind...

...okay, except for Simon's Quest. Even speedruns of that game have grinding.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

You don't have to grind (unless you want decent weapons or abilities so that hard mode doesn't consist of you stabbing at every boss for pitiful amounts of damage with whatever piece of poo poo dagger you find on the ground)

You don't have to grind (unless you ever plan on using familiars or completing most of the sidequests for the awesome and unique equipment they give)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

right, like i said, you dont have to grind. aria, even on hard mode, is easy enough jto not really require anything more than what you pick off the ground/can make through just playing the game, and none of the quests in ooe give out anything special except for the last one where you get the god ring or whatever, and thats postgame. its basically like doing all the chocobo racing for kotr in ff7 and then complaining "ugh i cant believe the game made me do all that!!!"

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

darealkooky posted:

You don't have to grind (unless you want decent weapons or abilities so that hard mode doesn't consist of you stabbing at every boss for pitiful amounts of damage with whatever piece of poo poo dagger you find on the ground)

You don't have to grind (unless you ever plan on using familiars or completing most of the sidequests for the awesome and unique equipment they give)

you can get every single useful glyph in OoE without grinding.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Have you considered that the problem is that you're not as good or lucky as I am? :smug:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

you suck them up from enemies that cast the spells. there's no drops involved.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the only ways to make familars useful at all is either watch then slowly kill a billion enemies, or hope that glyph drops from an enemy so you can suck it up a few times

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

familiars are in fact never useful anyway. that R glyph should be making you fast or buff, not wasting your time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Phantasium posted:

None of the Castlevania games require you to grind...

...okay, except for Simon's Quest. Even speedruns of that game have grinding.

your avatar is loving ace!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like this part.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I liked Harmony of Despair a lot. Throw a bunch of different characters in, throw a bunch of different ways to kill things in, go to town. It was fun playing with different people because everyone had their own approach. I also like how many souls you could get playing as Soma. I was surprised how many people weren't into the game, I thought it was one of the best in the series.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Castlevania is good.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Peztopiary posted:

I liked Harmony of Despair a lot. Throw a bunch of different characters in, throw a bunch of different ways to kill things in, go to town. It was fun playing with different people because everyone had their own approach. I also like how many souls you could get playing as Soma. I was surprised how many people weren't into the game, I thought it was one of the best in the series.

I got the demo and everything was really really tiny on my big rear end tv it was unplayable :(

Shame, because the game had some really bitchin tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXiTtik0bW0

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I got the demo and everything was really really tiny on my big rear end tv it was unplayable :(

Shame, because the game had some really bitchin tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXiTtik0bW0

You can change the zoom levels quite easily in-game, and the highest zoom level has to be assigned to the zoom rotation in the settings outside of a level.

I think it was just click in the right stick to change it?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
^^Yes. It's really a game where you need all six people as well, unfortunately. You can buy the original Castlevania as one map though, and then rampage through it with a rocket launcher.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm usually a PC dude but goddamn if HoD doesn't make me want a PS3.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i still like castlevania

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I finally got around to playing Symphony of the Night, which is my first Castlevania. What other Castlevanias should I be looking at once I'm done with that one? I heard the DS ones were legit.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I finally got around to playing Symphony of the Night, which is my first Castlevania. What other Castlevanias should I be looking at once I'm done with that one? I heard the DS ones were legit.

Order of Ecclesia.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

they're pretty much all good and fun but

Evil Eagle posted:

Order of Ecclesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Peztopiary posted:

By using Soma's Yorick soul to throw a skull out, anyone can bounce on it via down-kicks in midair and you can just skip entire sections of the levels. I beat one level in under a minute with this trick. It's so loving fun to break that game.

• Locked thread