Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

Oh like there's a cannon big enough for that

Definitely not one big enough to fit Dave Brandon at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
We'll I didn't quite expect BG to poo poo the bed that badly. I knew we would lose but Jesus our defense was atrocious. Wisconsin ran all loving over us. I have no idea what to expect for MAC play.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
everyone wants to talk about the dog moment but by far the best A&M moment today was when the camera was panning over the faces of the corps and one of the announcers said something like "wow I just hope there was plenty of sunscreen provided to the members of the corps today"

because the corps is super super white you see

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I got burned as hell sitting in a half-empty student section for four hours so I know the feeling.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about college football, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Missouri football, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the SEC's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Missouri football. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Indiana is a murderer. He killed his opponent. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Indiana. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always point out Indiana as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could point to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw football as a means to an end. He was in it for football. He was dedicated to being the best football team he could be, and it showed on the field.

I wanted to be a football player since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be Mack Brown's quarterback had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a football player was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Indiana football in a lot of ways. He wasn't a team who was destined to be a national champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation football team. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest traditions in history. By 40 years-old.

Indiana football was only Indiana, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the team who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a team could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Purdue, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their cupcake win in week 4, and that that same team could strangle his opponent in the same day. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Maty Mauk, and not for their child, Gary Pinkel.

Indiana football owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Tuesday nights and Saturdays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Indiana football is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, Mizzou's cupcake schedule, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Indiana football was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

For some reason, I thought you were a Georgia fan.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I am, it's a reference to a really bad Chris Benoit post and I misread my audience

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Dabo's soft whimpering is music to Jameis's ears

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That was the worst 4th and 1 playcall I've ever seen

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo

Benne posted:

That was the worst 4th and 1 playcall I've ever seen

Clemson literally doesn't know how to do a QB sneak?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bvlah posted:

Clemson literally doesn't know how to do a QB sneak?

Not sneaky enough for Dabo.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Ugh gently caress Florida State so much.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Ha. Clemson out uglied our backup qb.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Where can I find a radio/video feed of Dabo doing a post game conference? I'm dying to see him answer the inevitable "What the gently caress were you thinking?" question.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Al golden defended the defensive scheme, and threw duke johnson under the bus.

gently caress you. Go back to Penn State, and get your entire crew out of here.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I saw a lot of Ohio State fans pop up in my TL making fun of Clemson for choking.

because...you know...there's no irony in that.

Annoying as hell.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Neodoomium posted:

Fire Brady Hoke

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Clemson had so many opportunities to win that I don't feel sorry for them at all. No big games now for FSU until Notre Dame.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Roll Tide y'all!

Not sure if Blake Sims is just good or if I could QB as well just aiming at Amari Cooper non-stop.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

LLCoolJD posted:

Clemson had so many opportunities to win that I don't feel sorry for them at all. No big games now for FSU until Notre Dame.

I hope the earth swallows the stadium when this game is played. :smith:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Miami @ Nebraska was a pretty solid game. The chippiness was half fun half annoying because it makes the game so long. I did think the roughing the passer call was questionable, although I think they only played the actual offending hit once in instant replay.

iirc, Nebraska threw the ball 13 times and I am 100% ok with that. Nebraska's O-line showed up for most of the game and I think defensive backfields tend to forget that Tommy Armstrong is a solid runner (when he's not coughing up the ball). There's nothing really to say about Ameer Abdullah that hasn't been said before. The dude is insane.

Nebraska's biggest weakness right now is the linebackers. Yikes. Miami's young QB looked pretty solid though until the 4th quarter, he has a lot of potential.

I'm already sort of dreading the game @ Miami next year. The attitude between these two teams is sort of obnoxious... although it's fun to watch in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 21, 2014

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LLCoolJD posted:

Does Clemsoning count as consent?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT never makes the fatal mistake of choking themselves alone, they always have a spotter. Thanks, GT!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

I will never not find this picture amazing.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LLJKSiLk posted:

Roll Tide y'all!

Not sure if Blake Sims is just good or if I could QB as well just aiming at Amari Cooper non-stop.

If you don't think Blake Sims is good after that game there's nothing any QB could do for you.

I've got a massive post about my thoughts from the game brewing, it'll be up in a bit

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
lol nice top performers espn. samaje perine has more yards and tds than the nebraska RB and had a better opponent

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There's a famous scifi short story about how a city of magical wonderment and splendor is basically powered by the torture of a small child. Besides being an apt description of Penn State, I would happily do that, if even to a whole orphanage, if it meant beating Michigan in two weeks.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Rice football is not allowed to have nice things.

Season expectations recalibrated to "maybe we'll make a bowl".

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

I've waited 15 years for this.

Worth.

I'm super happy for yall.

Arkansas is gonna end up as the only unranked SEC West team aren't they?

(Also, I think LSU is last in the West right now due to Alphabet.)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Miami has allowed 200 rushing yards or more 15 times in Al Golden's tenure (2011-present). Tonight was the fourth time allowing 300-plus.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dilber posted:

Miami has allowed 200 rushing yards or more 15 times in Al Golden's tenure (2011-present). Tonight was the fourth time allowing 300-plus.

You guys lost?? I stopped watching at halftime because I was too focused on FSU's game :(

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

pillsburysoldier posted:

You guys lost?? I stopped watching at halftime because I was too focused on FSU's game :(

Not only did we lose, we got blown out, and got into two fights.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
We lost to Miss. State, but we are really young and will improve as the season goes on. Fortunately, this season looks really chaotic and last time it was really crazy we won a NC despite losing to Kentucky so :getin:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If Penn State can hang on for two more weeks, then PSU-OSU will be a matchup between two top 25 teams and Penn State would be the one sitting higher in the standings.

This is not something that should be.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
UW's first half was as ugly as Cyler Miles' throwing motion

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/5040348/milesthrowingmotion.gif

But hey, 4-0 is 4-0!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I actually knew this guy when he was a kid. Hopefully whatever wisdom I passed on to him at church led to his decision to lay down his life for Reveille.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Nick Saban’s Psycho Circus

Strange day in T-Town. Not because of the umpteen turnovers that made a 60-0 game look competitive for a half, where a quarterback the media claimed had no deep ball threw records all day, but because the people were a goddamn traveling circus. A freak show college football has never seen before, and may never see the like of again.

I spent the weekend with my parents, so I said goodbye to them early and walked from the restaurant to my seat in the student section (I was the first law student there). We ate gator for lunch. On the way over we saw two gator fans walking along the train tracks like a half mile away from any street crossing.

I sat in the shade for a while before moving back into the sun for pre-game, met a 1L I didn’t like at first but by the end of the game we were firm buddies. He was on my left, a bunch of people I actually knew were on my right and in front of me, and four drunken Gator bitches were behind me. That’s not what I want to talk about. The people that stuck with me were on the field.

Saban has entered a weird, distinct stage of his career. He’s not less driven, he’s still tough as they get, but he is less… uptight. Signs started showing last year when he started jumping into the arms of his quarterback, but now that he’s a granddad and definitely never leaving Tuscaloosa, he’s even more loose, more human in a weird way. His strange habits, such as eating a little debbie’s for breakfast every day, used to come across as the necessities of a man that keeps a psychotic schedule, a nearly autistic focus on consistency and execution above all else. Now they’re just his cute little quirks, part of a rich tapestry of weirdness that flows throughout the Alabama machine.

Scott Cochrane was always there, it feels like. His raspy voice motivates the crowd, gets them caught up in the charm and ecstasy of crying for the murder of the team. And as long as cocaine can sustain a man to unfathomable amounts of energy it seems safe to say he’ll be sticking around--the man makes a lot of money, and the Saban machine can’t exist without him.

Kirby is the straight man. A little unsure of himself. Reticent, doesn’t spend much time with the media. Keeps his coordinator job year after year, saying that he’ll take a head coaching position when he’s good and ready for it. More on what that could mean later.

Kiffin is new. A pariah across the country, but to Saban, another prized recruit, one that has already paid huge dividends as Alabama’s averaged maybe 100 million more yards a game so far this season, and actually uses all their weapons. The opposite of Saban in every way, he looks downright clownish when they’re talking on the sidelines, him in his baggy clothes bobbing around like a jester in front of a frowning, serious chief.

For the last 3 years, Alabama has had a little person running around getting the kick-off tees. In a moment I still feel guilty for, I joked that he blew into Saban’s office during the tornado with the secrets to winning the next two championships hidden in a cauldron of rings. I have no idea what his story actually is, and I kind of like it that way--adds to the mystery. He’s popular on the sideline, high fiving after every good play and helping keep their spirits up just like Cochrane--although I get nervous that Saban might throw his headset on him by accident sometimes.

Twenty feet behind these people, Paul Finebaum roams the quad like a goddamned raven. His crowish figure looks up when he sees a stuffed alligator hung and swung around by a rope.

I get to watch a pretty good game, minus some frustrating turnovers. Blake Sims not only completely wins over the fanbase, he does it in one play. Then repeats it. The crowd goes silent when he might be hurt, cheers when he gives them the thumbs up and actually sprints to the locker room, cheers politely to keep Coker’s spirits up, and then goes buttfuck when Sims runs back and is quickly reinstalled in the next drive.

We ran the wildcat once.

Florida dies on the field. Hargreaves, the cornerback tasked with handling Cooper, is broken repeatedly. Along with everyone else that gets in number 9’s way. Jesus christ, where did Saban find this freak? At the end of it, I look at Muschamp going to the locker room. He doesn’t look angry. Mostly just… sad. He’s lost a bit of his fight I think. If he doesn’t win at least 4 or 5 SEC games his seat will be unbearably hot. He might need a job soon.

I think about Kirby Smart. About how he’s a little too normal to really belong with this group. And it’s about time he took that head coaching gig anyway. Muschamp was and would be an amazing defensive coordinator, and the sheer power of that image… of Saban surrounded by Kiffin, Muschamp, Finebaum, Cochrane, and all the rest of them.

It’s a strange and beautiful time to be an Alabama fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I hate football :smith:

• Locked thread