Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I really liked oz kits, though I did keep one for like 15 levels past its expiry date because it gave me +50% accuracy and crit damage while airborne.

also there's the lil robot oz kit who beeps and boops and gives you ammo !!

I really hope Gearbox can keep running with the improvements in TPS while making the next Borderlands. Taking all the good parts of BL2 and TPS and smashing them together would keep me interested for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kaubocks posted:

also there's the lil robot oz kit who beeps and boops and gives you ammo !!

I don't think I ever found that one. :aaa:

And yeah, the ones that gave accuracy/crit damage while airborne seemed like the most useful to me, especially since I'm a challenge whore so I was jumping constantly trying to get the 'kill dudes while airborne' one.

Honestly, if Gearbox made a Borderlands 3 that had the general aesthetic and huge amount of content a la BL2, with the mechanics/class improvements of TPS, and reigned in the scaling (both weapons/gear and enemy HP/damage) at high levels and rebalanced the drop rate to closer to TPS (blues/purples/legendaries actually drop, vendors scale to your level and have more than a 0.1% chance to have a legendary item-of-day, etc) I would be all over that.

Bonus points if one of the new classes was Rhys, Fiona, or Loaderbot. Or having Claptrap playable again.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

In 2, we got to play as a Psycho, so in 3, I want a Tunnel Rat with an ability that lets me burrow underground for a short distance, and his default movement should be running serpentine.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Silhouette posted:

In 2, we got to play as a Psycho, so in 3, I want a Tunnel Rat with an ability that lets me burrow underground for a short distance, and his default movement should be running serpentine.

Action skill is to steal the gun that the target is using.

Hell, BL3 should just let you play as any of the previous vault hunters (well, except Roland. And I guess most/all of the TPS crew :negative:)

The character select screen should look like Street Fighter with a dozen different classes to choose from.

And they better keep TPS' most important upgrade (PC characters interacting with NPCs) damnit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Playing Borderlands for the writing is like reading the articles in Playboy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Playing Borderlands for the writing is like reading the articles in Playboy.

So I guess what you're saying is that Playboy has good articles now?

e: Another thing for BL3, instead of being divided up between 3 playthroughs, just have ONE playthrough where everything scales to your level (a la UVHM) that you can reset at will.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 17, 2016

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my dream bl3 class is a luchadora that does insane grapples and wrestling moves for her action skill. you can unlock the ability to pick up and throw enemies, and they explode when they impact

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I like the characters and writing of TPS.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I picked this up over the recent 2K sale and I'm not sure why but I'm finding it hard to get into. I'd say it was because I'm burnt out on Borderlands, but I'm still playing Krieg up to level 30 at the same time.
With 104 pages to this thread it's obvious you guys like it, but is the general consensus that it's hit or miss? Is the first part slow and it picks up later on?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MrSlam posted:

I picked this up over the recent 2K sale and I'm not sure why but I'm finding it hard to get into. I'd say it was because I'm burnt out on Borderlands, but I'm still playing Krieg up to level 30 at the same time.
With 104 pages to this thread it's obvious you guys like it, but is the general consensus that it's hit or miss? Is the first part slow and it picks up later on?

The characters are really good and fun to play as, the weapons are great, the maps and quests are complete garbage. It also has much less content than BL2 does.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

my dream bl3 class is a luchadora that does insane grapples and wrestling moves for her action skill. you can unlock the ability to pick up and throw enemies, and they explode when they impact

Things I never knew I wanted :swoon:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WarLocke posted:

I got back into BL2 recently and I think I've been single-handed keeping the other thread out of archives. :v:

I wouldn't say map design, but the limited area types (everything is either some variation of moon surface, or hallway interiors) got to me after a while. The lack of enemy variety and the way no more than 4-5 dudes ever spawn at once was another big downer.

Although the jet pack stuff let the maps be much more vertical, which didn't always work out. Or maybe it was just me, the sequence on Helios where you're jumping around the imcomplete portion with bottomless pits everywhere gave me serious vertigo.

Going back to BL2 I really wished that Eridium dropped as often as Moonstones. And the Grinder. And I want a patch to swap Slag for Cryo. And I miss all the classes.

Oz Kits were a let-down compared to Relics IMO though, their bonuses just seemed too situational or less-useful in comparison to the ones Relics had.

See, I went in thinking I was going to really dislike the Oz kits and I actually ended up liking the sheer variety of them. They can get very situational, true, but often times they ended up encouraging me to try out different weapon combinations or strategies in a way that I never felt the relics really did--like having a pair of weapons for oxygen and vacuum environments, or doing more mid-air attacks, or messing around with grenades in weird ways.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The backtracking coupled with the amount of walking a lot of maps require (even the big open ones have ridges and chasms making direct shortcuts hard) initially killed the game for me, it didn't help that there's minimal environmental variety, but the classes and core BL gameplay eventually won me over.

What class are you playing? (Athena's rad, though she really gets going in tvhm)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope borderlands 3 is a semi mmo world like destiny.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

What do you mean?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

What do you mean?

Have you played destiny? like you would go into large areas that would pop in 6ish people in same zone and the story stuff would be offshoots of that. In destiny theres planets and on the planets are the levels. So you spawn on a planet to do a level, you spawn in the general area were you can see people who are just there killing poo poo or going to their own missions. Then you go in little off shoots that put you in your own instance. You generally only see a loading screen when you first load on to the planet, so there is kinda like flawless zonelines going on.

I guess its hard to explain you would have to play destiny to see it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 17, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I really hope it isn't. Letting Gearbox run and balance any game as an MMO can only lead to a train wreck of epic proportions...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

orcane posted:

I really hope it isn't. Letting Gearbox run and balance any game as an MMO can only lead to a train wreck of epic proportions...

I don't see how the ending cutscene can really mean "get all the vault hunters you can" aka get 6 players(that's the max for a game right or is 4?).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Have you played destiny? like you would go into large areas that would pop in 6ish people in same zone and the story stuff would be offshoots of that. In destiny theres planets and on the planets are the levels. So you spawn on a planet to do a level, you spawn in the general area were you can see people who are just there killing poo poo or going to their own missions. Then you go in little off shoots that put you in your own instance. You generally only see a loading screen when you first load on to the planet, so there is kinda like flawless zonelines going on.

I guess its hard to explain you would have to play destiny to see it.

I kinda like the feeling of solitude in Borderlands. It's my, and maybe my friends' adventure.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

I kinda like the feeling of solitude in Borderlands. It's my, and maybe my friends' adventure.

I like the solo thing but in the large open areas, I wound't mine seeing players moving along killing mobs and doing their own thing.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the final boss of TPS and the raid boss version? That fight was the tits. I fought that thing over and over getting like 5-10 levels on top the of the normal mode run. It was a more enjoyable fight than most of the destiny boss fights.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 17, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I like the solo thing but in the large open areas, I wound't mine seeing players moving along killing mobs and doing their own thing.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the final boss of TPS and the raid boss version? That fight was the tits. I fought that thing over and over getting like 5-10 levels on top the of the normal mode run. It was a more enjoyable fight than most of the destiny boss fights.

As far as BL bosses go, it's definitely up there. Dying to the corrosive dot just after killing the sentinel is a bitch, though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tenzarin posted:

Gross bro.

I got Destiny, hoping it'd be more like BL, but it turned out to just be 5 minute chunks of gameplay in between 20+ minutes of wandering the stupid hub world, looking for the next bland quest.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Silhouette posted:

Gross bro.

I got Destiny, hoping it'd be more like BL, but it turned out to just be 5 minute chunks of gameplay in between 20+ minutes of wandering the stupid hub world, looking for the next bland quest.

They got it alittle bit better with the expansion. Missions arn't as dull, and arn't the same get to the area and defend the ghost missions. The strike lists are also a ton better, as the bosses make you do stuff other that standing behind boxes and shooting for 30 minutes. They failed on the weapons again, they have one unique weapon that shoots lightning. Really was hoping they would apply some borderlands type crazy weapons.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

orcane posted:

I see you followed the Battleborn beta's patch notes as well. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hey keep pvp out of it, the pvp in all the borderlands has been rear end.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to "farm this boss 100 times to get its weapon, this time no gibbed!" and "what do you mean fake difficulty, 10x enemy HP and regen, bring slag!" then :v:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Tenzarin posted:

It was alright but it was super easy. It took a really long time if you were doing it solo but the sheer fact that the raid version was soloable immediately post game was kind of pathetic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gearbox has literally never balanced their games well, the BL2 drop rate is poo poo, the gun balance is horrible (pistols for top DPS! :downsgun:), they've never fixed Zero being poo poo, and so on. This is a game where balance changes would be fairly easy to implement and they hardly ever did anything, making it necessary to use only a small subset of classes, builds, and guns to complete the game at the highest level. If you play without cheats the game expects you to spend hours farming the same loving gun every 2 levels.

So yeah, their MMO skillz are in question.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Oz kits are usually more interesting than the the relics of BL2. Especially since there are legendary ones. There's a lot of genuinely good design in them while BL2 is usually just a fairly minor stat increase unless you're using pistols in which case the sherif badge is the best in the game by far.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I really want any future Borderlands game to have some sort of significant generated quest system. Just something you can hop in and gently caress around with doing instead of following the main story for the N-th time or farming whatever boss that respawns in the same spot over and over again.

Tell Marcus you want an accurate Tedore smg and he'll send you to go repossess a few farts from some deadbeats, that sort of thing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Tell Marcus you want an accurate Tedore smg and he'll send you to go repossess a few farts from some deadbeats, that sort of thing.

what if I don't want it in corrosive?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I want more backpack and bank slots. Sometimes I want keep an old favorite, sometimes I want to carry around a number of class mods because I'm thinking of respecing. Low carry capacity in general is antithetical to experimentation.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I want more backpack and bank slots. Sometimes I want keep an old favorite, sometimes I want to carry around a number of class mods because I'm thinking of respecing. Low carry capacity in general is antithetical to experimentation.

Inventory management isn't a fun mechanic and 'forcing players to make tough choices' is not a good reason to keep it around.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Shifty Pony posted:

I really want any future Borderlands game to have some sort of significant generated quest system. Just something you can hop in and gently caress around with doing instead of following the main story for the N-th time or farming whatever boss that respawns in the same spot over and over again.

Borderlands is one of the series that could really benefit from a procedurally generated "go to place X, fight a bunch of Y followed by a boss and bring me back McGuffin Z" type quest system that Bethesda games have implemented lately.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

You want to play as Grandma Flexington.

I want to play as Grandma Flexington!

:torgue:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

watho posted:

Borderlands is one of the series that could really benefit from a procedurally generated "go to place X, fight a bunch of Y followed by a boss and bring me back McGuffin Z" type quest system that Bethesda games have implemented lately.

It really would. They can easily use the bounty boards to avoid needing to do any voice acting too.

Kaubocks posted:

what if I don't want it in corrosive?

Ok then go steal the bandit's long hard wood and he'll make you a Jacobs sniper to pound people with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do people have issues firing Jakobs guns very fast with a dualshock 4? I get a very inconsistent fire rate using R2 (trigger). I'm probably not retracting my finger fully between shots but swinging it that much quickly is uncomfortable (the motion I'm using has worked with non- Sony controllers) Switching to R1 (shoulder button) works, but it's hard to fight muscle memory and R2 is a better resting spot.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 18, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

What class are you playing? (Athena's rad, though she really gets going in tvhm)

I only really tried Claptrap... because, well, it's Claptrap!

He's surprisingly loving tanky, and his subroutine abilities are a unique take on getting you to try different playstyles.

(Every few minutes he randomly chooses a subroutine based on which ones you have points into, you get massive bonuses for using the selecting weapon and a penalty for using anything else. So you might go from having +75% Sniper Rifle damage/+50% fire rare & reload speed (but -45% damage with anything else) and next subroutine is shields which makes them refill constantly even faster than but you have a damage penalty with everything, and then maybe you get the Melee subroutine next time and are doing +450% melee damage, etc etc etc)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is it me or is Jack's skill tree pretty loving nuts?

One of the capstones makes any of your pets dying (whether from actual damage or because you moved and they despawned) count as an enemy kill, which procs all his kill skills which heal him, restore shields, make him do more damage, be more accurate, reload and move faster, and probably even more poo poo. And his pets can be specced to release novas both on spawn and on death. One of the skills lets you use his action skill in FFYL, and even if they don't manage to kill anything, if one dies it counts as an enemy so you get a second wind! :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The DLC characters have always been broken to a new level.

• Locked thread