Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am excited for this and I think the name is dumb, even if it is descriptive. Welp, that's all I got.

edit: I will probably play as Claptrap despite my dislike of him because his gimmick seems pretty interesting. He is a true wildcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Forums Barber posted:

Yeah no, I'm not about to pay for some more Reddit maymay from Burch.

You probably should watch the trailer where they make fun of all that then

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only actual meme references I remember in Borderlands 2 are the challenge titles so I'm pretty sure people are just whining about nothing but maybe there was some epic meme culture or something I missed in there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 21, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, the season pass is a discount on future DLC rather than actual access to it?

That's not what it means. It means, when you buy the season pass, you receive a 25% discount on what you WOULD have spent if you bought the DLCs individually.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really want to complain about them putting in all these conveniences related to the oxygen, but it seems like they're making it such a non-issue that there's no point in even having it be a mechanic at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Professor Oak posted:

YAY another borderlands where we can run around dying for ten straight hours trying anything plausible but make it through the entire game in 45 minutes if we exploit a gimmick!

I can't tell if this is a good or bad statement. The "YAY" implies sarcasm but that doesn't sound like a sarcastic sentence.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the "end reveal" of Borderlands 1. Finding out that Angel was lying to you the whole time in order to save the world was cool even if the fight with the alien itself was a little disappointingly easy. I mean it probably would've been better if there was SOME kind of loot explosion at the end instead of the corpse just pooping out some mediocre stuff when it went back into the vault, but I was totally fine with there being no magical vault full of endless godlike loot because that would defeat the entire point of the game (kill things, get guns).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They're pretty much having Handsome Jack go the way of Jigsaw of the Saw franchise for this game. Jigsaw died in like the third movie, but Tobin Bell continued to be in movies 4 through whatever the hell because every single one had an extended flashback to when Jigsaw was still alive, just so that they could have more Jigsaw screentime. People want more Handsome Jack, but as the DLCs went to show, Jack is dead and is not coming back to life any time soon, so the only way to give people more Jack is to make him be in a game that takes place before he died.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

No, it's still using an exponential curve, it's just way toned down.

Thank god. As someone who is dyslexic, the upper echelons of Borderlands 2's level system wreaked absolute havoc with my reading skills. It's really hard to compare a gun that does 684,326 damage to one that does 683,426 damage at a glance if you can barely read normal numbers in order as-is. I much prefer a slower curve because the difficulty can remain around the same without the numbers ballooning so god drat much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough. Sometimes the arrows are deceptive as to what is "better", like how the green arrow for grenade fuse time actually means longer fuse time even though shorter is more beneficial, etc. but that's just a niche case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh god no I'm dyslexic and blind :gonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

deadly_pudding posted:

If I'm being real here, I'd be okay with a somewhat shorter Borderlands campaign. I dove back into BL2 this past month after not paying attention to it for a longass time, and I seriously had forgotten about the entirety of "Toil and Trouble". The game feels like it stretches out a little bit too much toward the end.

The major stopgap quest chains for me are, in order:
-Firehawk quest chain
-The entire Tiny Tina quest chain because there's only one way into her hovel and it's on the OPPOSITE SIDE of all the quest objectives
-Running back through the dam with no real good way back to sanctuary for the loader core quest
-Zaford/Hodunk quest chain because of so much god drat unnecessary driving (seriously just put a fast travel point in their areas if I'm gonna go there so often)
-Opportunity in general

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's shorter to just push through to the end of the map where you initially rescued Roland and use the teleporter there.

I know, that's what I always do since the alternative is going backwards through the previous area. The bandits have moved back in after you killed all the loaders for the main quest, so at least there's new stuff to fight, but it's still kind of a pain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The developer has to set whether or not they want the game to be preload-able.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't particularly like any of the class gimmicks for Pre-Sequel but I'm just gonna go with Wilhelm first too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Is there anyway to fake steam into thinking I live on the International dateline so I can play this in 30 minutes? I'm hyped.

I don't know where VPNs stand on the :filez: front, but you already bought and own the game so I'm almost certain there's no issue with doing it. Just in case though I won't be specific about the where/how of it. Quit Steam, download a free VPN program and connect to a VPN in the country you want to pretend to be in, and then launch Steam and the game will unpack. The major caveat is that you won't be able to play multiplayer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I order the Mac version, will they just give me a Steam key which I can then use on the Windows version, or is the version they hand out truly Mac only? I ask because I've seen it happen in the past where I've ordered a Steam key for a lower price for the Mac version, then gotten a key which I activated on Windows for the Windows version.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright, sweet, thanks guys. 60 bucks is definitely too steep for someone with my quality of paycheck, but 45 via the code is less so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game is fun so far. The first real boss (past the intro mission) has a little bit too much shield health, especially since you probably won't have an electric weapon by that point, but I went with Nisha for my first playthrough and her action skill so far is seriously unbelievable. Nisha + Laser gun = Everything dies or your money back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, wow, moon buggies are incredibly sticky and not fun to drive around in! You'd think having lower gravity would keep it from sticking to the ground and handling like the wheels are covered in tar.

Mokinokaro posted:

Weird, I didn't get a shotgun. I got a revolver.

I got both.

edit: Lol they're still censoring curse words :rolleyes:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 14, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, I hope the "ha ha australian people talk funny!" jokes start to thin out as the game goes on because that's been pretty much a good third of the material so far and it's getting kinda grating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I found my first legendary in Pre-Sequel!! And it's... IT'S...

loving god drat it :cripes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Badass enemies are ridiculous bullet sponges in this one. I can actually feel the fun being sucked out of my brain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That really begs the question I had for the gimmick in the BL2 thread: Why even have it if it's totally negligible and only there to be annoying? O2 canisters have replaced the Relic slot, so why not just have there still be relics and not bother with the air thing? I mean yeah, it's a space game and all, but it's just not a fun mechanic in any way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Welp, cockney nonsensical-rhyme-slang has replaced BL2 Claptrap as the most aggressively un-funny thing in a Borderlands game. Awesome.

edit: I'm actually impressed by how annoying and not funny some of these characters are. This game is real hit-and-miss so far for me.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 14, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a way in the options or something to make Nisha's auto-targeting NOT do the "flick with right mouse + direction to switch targets" thing? I mean it's appreciated that they let you drop the lock on if you want but jesus christ you have to be as still as a stone statue while using iron sights and it's more annoying than helpful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unlucky7 posted:

I think Birch still headed writting.

And therein lies the problem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I can't decide which character to play as. After reading everyone's posts I decided on Claptrap and then the game warns me that he's loving annoying so now I feel like backing out. Am I making a mistake?

For those that haven't tried to pick claptrap yet:

:allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Claptrap so far because he echoes my statements of "gently caress you, assholes, I'm not dead yet" upon reviving via second wind kill (though a bit more eloquently than that). I can definitely see the steps backward they took from "annoying on purpose" BL2 claptrap to "naive ond optimistic" BL1 claptrap so I don't have any problems with him so far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kaethela posted:

"I WILL STOP TALKING WHEN I'M DEAD!"

I like Claptrap's character assist action skills because he and the miniature Claptrap tell each other knock knock jokes :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Loool I found the 2001: A Space Odyssey monolith easter egg on my own and it's awesome. This game is great!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, about the grinder, they say in the game that there are "special combinations" that produce certain items or kinds of items. Is the game just bullshitting to get you to use the fancy new thing or has anyone found any combinations that do spit out special stuff?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh my god Davis Pickle is so goddamn annoying to have to listen to. I almost regret starting over as Claptrap because I'm gonna have to deal with him again.

I'm gonna say that again for emphasis. I regret starting over as Claptrap, not because of Claptrap, but because of a character that is more annoying than Claptrap. Claptrap isn't even that bad in this game!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jsor posted:

I think my moonstone is being eaten by a tiny fairy in my pockets. I swear I had like 40 and then once I got to town it said I had 15.

You used it on a moonstone chest without realizing it. There's no confirmation prompt for moonstone-only loot chests.

Rookersh posted:

Since I never found a single Assault Rifle in my playthrough of Borderlands 2 ( or anything higher then a green really, and almost all pistols/shotguns ), I was forced to use the turret. Which then didn't work on the final boss.

Needless to say I put the game down and never went back because of it.

You either got incredibly improbably unlucky or you're lying. Even so you don't need blue/purple weapons to beat BL2 or really even make it easier on the first playthrough. They're just extra help. :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 15, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kilonum posted:

Yeah I am doing Claptrap as my first playthrough and he's been legitimately funny at times.

It seems to me like they've taken a step back toward BL1 when it comes to Claptrap in this game, which is a good thing. I think his character is more like BL1 Claptrap, where the humor surrounding him was the fact that he is annoying in an endearing way based on his (pre-programmed) naive optimism, instead of "lol I'm so random everyone hates me I'm gonna scream really shrill-ly now for no reason".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So the ceiling in the Meriff's office isn't solid. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen in the game either, they apparently had a real problem patching up holes in the geometry in this one. :geno:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

(Basically me with the ZX-1 laser gun)

^ Me when I get Gaige's skill as Claptrap using an assault rifle

It's amazing, ever since unlocking the Torgue Fiesta skill I've died to it more times than I have anything else in the whole game. It's really annoying and I can't wait to spend the cash to spec back out of that single point! Although the simple fix to dying to it is "don't walk into the grenades" I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Scumbag posted:

Edit: Actually, their quest directions in general are hosed up. I keep finding myself in an area with no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing. Right now I'm supposed to be blowing up the safe with the shock shield. The game gave me three enemies to deplete the shield, and now nothing. So I have to throw grenades to do it, only I need more than one to do the job, and the first granade always propels me too far from the second to actually deplete the shield.

I wish this was the first mission that felt like it was completely untested, but sadly most of the game up until now feels like it was thrown together and never actually played by anyone. I really hope it gets better.

Why didn't you just let the enemies in the room shoot you until the shield depleted?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol Nisha's dual wielding pistols skill doesn't go away if you re-spec. If you switch to a pistol with the dual pistols skill, then re-spec, the dual pistols will stay forever as long as you don't die, quit the game, or switch out to a non-pistol gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gwen's Head is back in a... sort of different form. :allears:

This time it pops out of those little 1x1 safes so look there for it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: speaking of Star Wars Episode 1, having Lilith and Roland appearing in this game and knowing Jack beforehand is as shortsighted as having the cast of the original movies knowing R2D2 and C3PO from before.

"You say you're like us again and I'll kill you where you stand" - Lilith to this game's vault hunters, immediately before the game reveals that they were working with Jack too and are exactly like this game's vault hunters

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 15, 2014

• Locked thread